The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Dec 7th take a moment

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2017, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Dec 7th take a moment

Take a moment today to honor the sacrifice and courage of the servicemen killed at Pearl Harbor 76 years ago. http://on.nbcdfw.com/9kqQkmi
Old December 7th, 2017, 09:27 AM

Old December 7th, 2017, 09:44 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Thanks to both of you for posting. This was the day The Greatest Generation came into being. There are very few of them left. They saved the world.
Old December 7th, 2017, 09:46 AM

I am so sorry I don't remember who it is but one of our member's uncle is still on the Arizona
Old December 7th, 2017, 10:19 AM
Restorer

My Father was supposed to be discharged from the Army on Dec 7, 1941 as his enlistment was up. Since it was on a Sunday, he was waiting until Monday to be discharged and go home. On Monday the officer in charge told him that he didn't know what was going to happen and to come back on Tuesday. On Tuesday the 9th, he was discharged and immediately was made to reenlist "For the Duration of the War".

His younger brother (age 18)was stationed at Schoffield Barracks across the island from Pearl. He was supposed to be eating breakfast on the Arizona with a friend that morning, but his friend had a hangover and couldn't take him to the ship. So, instead he got straffed by the Japanese planes. He survived and served the war in the pacific, horrendous fighting.
Old December 7th, 2017, 12:10 PM

My Dad had 5 brothers & brother-in-laws. They were all in WWII. Two came home wounded, but all survived. When my Dad was alive he would comment every December 7th. Kind of like many of us always remember 9-11-01 and can describe where we were when the airplane hit the first tower.

Thank you for starting this thread Eric.
Old December 7th, 2017, 01:48 PM

Here is a piece of interesting history regarding the pearl harbor bombing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niihau_incident.
Old December 7th, 2017, 01:59 PM
same but different

Thanks. My hat is off for these men too.
Its been reported the USS Ward was just found. This is the first ship to fire on Japanese (sub) in the early hours preceding the battle.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2...orig-vstan.cnn
Old December 7th, 2017, 03:28 PM
Olds Fever

Definitely a major turning point in the history of America and for the American people, both from a military and civilian standpoint... The sacrifices made in that cause should never be taken for granted...
Old December 7th, 2017, 03:39 PM

Old December 7th, 2017, 05:14 PM
Hookers under Hood

I have the upmost respect for all that served. Some gave all, all gave some. The woman didn't have it any easier, all had to make hard sacrifices.
Rest in peace.
Old December 7th, 2017, 07:42 PM

We visited the Arizona Memorial in June 2013. Definitely a must-see if you can ever get there. Here's some photos from that visit.

Getting on the ferry that takes you out there.

The Memorial is open in the center so you can look right down on top of the sunken ship.

Some survivors Arizona sinking wanted to be buried with their shipmates when they finally passed.
Old December 7th, 2017, 08:22 PM

Dec. 7, 1941 REMEMBER

Did we all forget this date I don't as my dad went to war. He is gone now and not forgotten and yes I served too in the Army in 1968-69 he was so proud I did. Bless us all for they gave all.
Gerald
Old December 7th, 2017, 08:48 PM

The greatest generation. My dad did not serve in the service because he was a welder working in the Houston shipyard building boats. He was called up to go to Tennessee for a special project. He didn't know he was building the atomic bomb plant at Oak Ridge until the war was over, he just knew it was a secret project. One of his brothers was a B17 co-pilot with the "bloody 100th". His aircraft was shot down on their very first bomb raid to Bremmen. This date is sad for me too because my mom passed on this date in 2001.

Last edited by edzolz; December 7th, 2017 at 08:49 PM. Reason: add comment
Old December 8th, 2017, 05:25 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

There was a thread with several posts on it. It was started by Eric.
Old December 8th, 2017, 05:32 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Gerald Nickels
Did we all forget this date I don't as my dad went to war. He is gone now and not forgotten and yes I served too in the Army in 1968-69 he was so proud I did. Bless us all for they gave all.
Gerald
I merged your thread with mine.
Old December 8th, 2017, 05:42 AM

Although I'm a Gawga boy I had no idea until I read this article

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...rtwined-legacy
Old December 8th, 2017, 06:43 AM

Nice pictures. I have been to the memorial several times, and have spoken to people that witnessed the Japanese planes bomb pearl harbor. Another place to see is Hickam Airforce base. There are buildings that are still in use that have large pieces of concrete missing where the planes were strafing.
Old December 8th, 2017, 07:08 AM

My family had a lot of WW 2 Veterans, all are now passed away. My deceased Father in law was in the Army in Europe. He was an Infantryman with over 300 days of combat and in the Battle of the Bulge. My Father and one Uncle were in the Navy in the Pacific. My Father was in Underwater demolition. Two Uncles were Marines, both were wounded. One on the island of Tarawa, one on (as they used to say "the Big Island") Okinawa. The reason they all enlisted in the Navy & Marines is because they all wanted to fight the Japanese. The older Uncle was in the Army Air Corp stationed in the Philippines before December 7, 1941.
Bernard T. Txxxxx - Prisoner of War*RecordHeld in Taiwan POW Camp #1 (Taihoku) near Taihoku,*Formosa

Bernard T. Txxxxx was a Private First Class in the Army during World War II. Bernard was captured by Imperial Japan while serving in the Philippine Islands, and was sent to*Taiwan POW Camp #1 (Taihoku)*near Taihoku, Formosa where 125 other American POWs were held. Bernard's capture was first reported to the International Committee of the Red Cross on May 7, 1942, and the last report was made on October 16, 1945. Based on these two reports, Bernard was imprisoned for at least 1,258 days (3 years and ~6 months), one of the longest durations of captivity recorded. Ultimately, Bernard was returned to military control, liberated or repatriated.

They all made it back and worked and had productive lives. They may have drank their share of beer but they never cried in it. They were a tough bunch.
Old December 8th, 2017, 07:59 AM

My uncle was killed in the Pacific Island campaign taking the Marshall's
My dad (still alive) is a WW2 navy vet but never saw action over seas. December 7th has always a day of remembrance at our house... Tedd
Old December 8th, 2017, 08:00 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by Jamesbo

Thanks Jamesbo. Everybody should read the article. I suspect if it were not for Carl Vinson we could have lost the war. What foresight.
Old December 8th, 2017, 08:12 AM

Speaking of "The Greatest Generation" [Sorry I've told this story a few times] I had an uncle that landed on the 1st wave a Bloody Omaha beach as an engineer [complete with Bangalore torpedoes] He survived and came home to live a productive life, had a family, loved to kid around, played golf BUT he would never go back to any beach. No Florida EVER
Old December 8th, 2017, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jamesbo

Although I've heard this story before, its great info. The problem with history is as the people who lived it die off, so do the stories. Our educational system is dropping the ball by not providing our past to future generations.
Old December 8th, 2017, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Although I've heard this story before, its great info. The problem with history is as the people who lived it die off, so do the stories. Our educational system is dropping the ball by not providing our past to future generations.
Other problem of the history is at whos side you look at it..
Since history is written by the winners.
Old December 8th, 2017, 02:13 PM

Here's another amazing person. I'm sure "inline" will appreciate this hero.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...sSbZ3XOimUyDtN