The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Deer hunting

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2017, 02:24 PM

Deer hunting

As I sit in my stand on day nine of bow season I was wondering how many other members are involved in deer hunting and if anyone has had any success yet? I’ve been seeing a few does but no bucks and the rut is still quite a ways off .weather in the northeast has been warm and at times humid , not typical for this time of year .we normally would have had a couple frosts by now . Good luck to all those who partake in the sport
Old October 9th, 2017, 02:48 PM
72 Olds CS

I bagged a real nice one last year midwinter, unfortunately I was driving my truck to work at the time, fortunately I hit it pretty square on the metal bumper and only had minor damage!

Aside from that as far as I can tell there is a healthy population that spends most of hunting season around my house safe from bow n gun hunters
Old October 9th, 2017, 03:01 PM
MOTORHEAD

bambiland

headed "up north" friday
scouting
season starts early november for rifle and slug fire arms
Old October 9th, 2017, 03:25 PM

I never got into bows. Have hung a lot of meat through the years, a few nice bucks but no wall hangers. Can't spend a lot of time in the woods anymore. Plan on hunting only a wall hanger now. Just happy to have another chance this year. Rifle season here is not until Thanksgiving.
Old October 9th, 2017, 04:47 PM
same but different

I've enjoyed deer hunting on many occasions through the years. Most all of it done with rifles of various calibers.

I've always thought of bow hunters a little more on the serious side. It requires patience, let alone practice. It is a close up, series of events that take place. Very exciting as you must be on target, as you usually don't get a second shot. Good times. Best of luck to anyone who does it, hats off to you.

I'd rather have my venison on my plate than on my grill. They cause a lot of property damage to vehicles. Go get'em boys!
Old October 9th, 2017, 05:11 PM
71 cutlass convertible

I don't hunt but allow hunter's to hunt the family nursery. One has taken 3 so far this year. A 6point, button buck and a doe. All with a bow. He took 11 last year. With a trail camera there is a 14 point buck back in the woods he is looking for.
Old October 10th, 2017, 04:29 AM
Runner

Looks like the pictures fits into this thread...

Old October 10th, 2017, 06:02 AM

Hope to get to the Adirondacks this year. 2 of my brothers still get up there for the season but something always comes up for me. My dad and his friends put a cabin on this plot in 54' & my dad, being the last of them, just passed in September so I'm going to do my best to get there. I "watch and miss" with a rifle. Wanted to get into bow but never seem to have the time. I don't think I've ever seen a deer in the woods during the season in the ADK except for when I walk out. Yea, pretty sad when a deer is smarter than me. That being said I'd rather sit in the woods in the ADK than the Catskills. I've seen quite a few bucks thee but something always goes incredibly wrong. Worst one was an 8 15 feet away behind me and the round misfired. He ran into some pines & I never saw him again. His 5 girlfriends kept me company until way after dark though. Tough to get a doe tag in the Catskill areas I hunt in and when I do get one I either don't see anything or I don't have a clear shot. Last year I had a spike in my scope but with the 3 on 1 side rule all I could do was watch.
Old October 10th, 2017, 06:13 AM

Anybody here hunt with black powder smoke poles? I have a CVA 45 cal that I built from a kit in 1986. I have shot it so much most of the rifling grooves are gone but it will still pattern 3 inches at 75 yards. Have taken my share with it.
Old October 10th, 2017, 06:25 AM

Zeke the ads are definitely challenging but I’ve taken some dandy’s over the years. The nice thing about northern New York is a long season starting in late sept. I hunt with bow , muzzleloader , rifle , crossbow and sometimes shotgun . Spend countless hours and money on it , kinda like my Oldsmobile’s.
Old October 10th, 2017, 07:56 AM

Hunted for years just south of Marble Falls, Texas just off of 281 on FM 2147. In-laws had a ranch in the family since 1888 and everyone couldn't get along well enough to keep it. Very sad, but about half of younger generation wasn't really interested in hunting. They wanted money in a lump sum from sale instead of grazing and deer lease money every year. This will be my second year without a lease, and didn't dove hunt this year either. I miss sitting in the stand early in the day, watching the world wake up. Good luck to those of you hunting this season and be careful out there.
Old October 10th, 2017, 10:49 AM

Central West IL

Let the fun begin.
Last weekend first bow hunt of the season.
Passed on Does, Hunting big bucks.Bow, Shot gun, Muzzle loader, and MO riffle.
Good luck everyone !!

[ATTACH]
PHP Code:
[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_4481.jpg (696.5 KB, 19 views)
Old October 10th, 2017, 11:39 AM

Hunting

Bow opens up here in Mass next Monday and I can't wait. We have plenty of does on my camera and 2 nice bucks. Heading up to my 200 acre camp in Maine with the usual 6 suspects for rifle and have quite a few nice bucks on our property. Bagged a nice 950 lb Moose in Maine 2 years ago with my 80 yr old dad and a sniper buddy of mine. My dad doesn't have that many hunts left in him so it was a real proud moment for all. Happy hunting gents/gals. MJS
Old October 15th, 2017, 07:20 PM
MOTORHEAD

deer

Rifles are "dial a buck" sighted in
There will be a fresh crop of new hunters again this year

I am going to "cabin hunt" abstain and hope they get their first critter

hope you all have a safe and enjoyable hunt / season
Old November 26th, 2017, 03:38 AM

took a while but finally caught up to a nice deer i thought i would share.hope everyone else had or is having a sucessful season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2823.JPG (4.64 MB, 18 views)
Old November 26th, 2017, 08:01 AM

I've hunted all over the western US and Alaska but lately I have had to give it up because of health reasons.... Old age sucks... Here are some dead stuff ....Tedd wild game feeed aqnd other stuff 002.JPG

wild game feeed aqnd other stuff 003.JPG

wild game feeed aqnd other stuff 007.JPG
Old November 26th, 2017, 08:13 AM

Very nice! Thanks for sharing Tedd.
Old November 26th, 2017, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by edzolz
Anybody here hunt with black powder smoke poles? I have a CVA 45 cal that I built from a kit in 1986. I have shot it so much most of the rifling grooves are gone but it will still pattern 3 inches at 75 yards. Have taken my share with it.
Edzolz, in the past I hunted pheasants with a BP double front loader and had a literal blast. Although I have a couple muzzle stuffer rifles I for some reason never hunted big game seriously with them. On the other hand I have taken many deer with BP in a 44/40 and 38/55 and probably 45/70 also.I have records on the 44/40 because as a foolish young en I notched the wrist of a pristine 92 Winchester 14 times.The rifle still has the crude markings to this day.Oh well it gives me something to talk about now.... Tedd
Old November 26th, 2017, 06:20 PM
MOTORHEAD

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Edzolz, in the past I hunted pheasants with a BP double front loader and had a literal blast. Although I have a couple muzzle stuffer rifles I for some reason never hunted big game seriously with them. On the other hand I have taken many deer with BP in a 44/40 and 38/55 and probably 45/70 also.I have records on the 44/40 because as a foolish young en I notched the wrist of a pristine 92 Winchester 14 times.The rifle still has the crude markings to this day.Oh well it gives me something to talk about now.... Tedd

Happy Travels Tedd
Still have a chunk of tasty venison in the freezer
Saving it , stop on over if you come to town

I only counted 6 notches in the remington. All in two years
Old November 27th, 2017, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by 11971four4two
Happy Travels Tedd
Still have a chunk of tasty venison in the freezer
Saving it , stop on over if you come to town

I only counted 6 notches in the remington. All in two years
Come spring I may be in your neck of the woods, a close car friend just moved to South Dakota and if one of my cars and I are fit I'm going to try and be there after the snow quits flying..... Tedd
Old December 1st, 2017, 02:17 PM

Deadeye, nice buck, congrats. I saw a spiker and a four in the Catskills, no good, need 3 points on 1 side. Saw no signs of a doe other than the small and large smart pills on the ground, but it didn't much matter since I didn't get a permit for 4W this year. There's still an 8 and a big bear running around though. Work is getting in the way of me going back to find them. Never made it to the ADK. Had to attend a town hearing on the 9th for a ductless AC unit I installed about 10 years ago and got caught. The hearing was for a variance. Unfortunately, my brothers were heading up after they voted on the 7th and coming home on the 11th. Didn't make sense to make a 4-1/2 hr trec for 1 day.
Old December 1st, 2017, 03:39 PM

Got a nice doe last Saturday... 45lbs of meat I would bet.. 4 day doe season in Texas. Fog and doe were jumpy. Sorta spooked. Thanksgiving till Sunday... Maybe that nice buck will come back again.... 2nd rut coming up soon .No picture.