The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Pay desired.. What shall i ask for?

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2017, 09:00 AM

Pay desired.. What shall i ask for?

A driveshaft repair shop around my area is hiring. Im going to apply. They said they will train me on everything. And a lot of people get work done by them. Aluminum driveshafts and stuff like that. Sounds like something i would like. On the application it asks for desired salary. My question is what would be a good hourly rate? I asked my dad and he said "maybe 13? Something like that" he was a mechanic in the marines and asked my friend thats a mechanic and he said the same thing. What do you guys think?
Old October 7th, 2017, 09:02 AM
Administrator

I'd leave it blank and let the conversation come up during the interview.
Old October 7th, 2017, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I'd leave it blank and let the conversation come up during the interview.
Smooth
Old October 7th, 2017, 09:37 AM

Let them suggest you the salary, and if you can accept it, just say "ok".
Thats what i did. One more tip. Its not about the hourly salary, its about how much they let you do overtime. Not having the top hourly rate + being willing to learn/ trustworthy + hardworking, earns you the most at the end.

Been there done that, now twice ( changed Company last year, and on first year at current big Company, im at top 5 on yearly income for sure)
Old October 7th, 2017, 09:41 AM
71 cutlass convertible

That is a tough question. Different areas of the country command different wages. In my area 11 -14 as a guess. I am in rural MD. You could add a dollar to those next year as the min. wage goes up. Benefits can change the number too.
Old October 7th, 2017, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Just wondering if its Ft Worth Gear and Axle? You have to take into consideration what the training is worth, what benefits, how far you have to travel to get there, and if its full time year round. If you fill in the salary 3 things can happen, you could be pricing yourself out of the job as a trainee with no interview, your number is less than they were thinking, or they may agree with it. Remember this statement... "what I lack in experience I gain in ambition" try to fit it in somewhere.
Old October 7th, 2017, 10:50 AM
Full-time Taxpayer

If you fill in the salary 3 things can happen, you could be pricing yourself out of the job as a trainee with no interview, your number is less than they were thinking, or they may agree with it. Remember this statement... "what I lack in experience I gain in ambition" try to fit it in somewhere.
This is great advise!!!
Old October 7th, 2017, 11:10 AM

Just wondering if its Ft Worth Gear and Axle? You have to take into consideration what the training is worth, what benefits, how far you have to travel to get there, and if its full time year round. If you fill in the salary 3 things can happen, you could be pricing yourself out of the job as a trainee with no interview, your number is less than they were thinking, or they may agree with it. Remember this statement... "what I lack in experience I gain in ambition" try to fit it in somewhere.
No. Its automovive driveline supply. I plan on going to fort worth gear and axle for my rear end though! Heard they do good work!
Old October 7th, 2017, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Qwik71442
This is great advise!!!
man! Great advise! Thanks guys!
Old October 7th, 2017, 12:03 PM

Agreed on leaving the salary field blank, if it comes up during the interview fine, if not, it will come up when they offer you a job. If it is more than a mom and pop operation, they probably have guidelines they follow based on experience anyway.
Do some research on the company before going in for an interview. Employers really like when you know some info on them. Also, be a few minutes early and dress nicely. Even though you will probably be wearing different clothes for work, employers appreciate a person that takes pride in their appearance (probably takes pride in their work also!!) Good luck!
Old October 7th, 2017, 12:07 PM

Remember this is not easy work. You have to swing a BFH all day. Let them suggest an amount then try to get a little more if your not satisfied. Keep in mind training is very important but obviously if they will train you they are short of qualified people. Most companies won't admit the reason they are short of qualified people is they seldom pay enough. Hope this helps and not detracts. I think it's a lot more stressful to be un-employed than it is to be employed. X2 on RandyS advice.
Old October 7th, 2017, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by WB8588
No. Its automovive driveline supply. I plan on going to fort worth gear and axle for my rear end though! Heard they do good work!
Yes they do. Have gotten many driveshafts made at Ft Worth Gear and Axle.
Old October 7th, 2017, 01:25 PM

Don't leave the "pay desired" line blank. They'll think you just forgot to fill it in. Write in the word "competitive."
Old October 7th, 2017, 04:23 PM
Olds Fever

I would just say "Open for discussion based on the company's benefits package"... Sometimes the benefits will offset the pay rates... You should know those benefits before suggesting a pay rate...
Old October 7th, 2017, 05:20 PM

If the hiring employee (or Owner/Manager) has any experience in HR, they will mention the benefits before the salary.
Old October 7th, 2017, 05:29 PM

Benefits, retirement and health insurance can help offset lower starting wage. There going to want someone who is a go getter and shows up. Prove your worth the money and gain experience.
Old October 7th, 2017, 06:36 PM

X2 on not leaving it blank. I would also put open for discussion. Keep in mind, training is very expensive for a company and starting pay may be a little lower than expected. If the amount is lower than you expect I would ask about evaluations and increases. Tell them that you would like to prove you can learn the job and show up consistently and ask how quick this could affect increases. If your area is anything like our area, we can't find people willing to show up on time or even show up at all every day. I just fired a guy that on his fourth day called in 7 hours after the shift started.
Old October 7th, 2017, 07:04 PM

Yes they do. Have gotten many driveshafts made at Ft Worth Gear and Axle.
ha! Do you live aroubd fort worth?!
Old October 7th, 2017, 07:56 PM

i see Mc Donalds is paying $12

dont under estimate your own value..that you are even willing to work in a mechanical/manual labor type job has value

i think that a 15-16 dollar an hour job for a beginner...im not saying thats what it should pay, i just feel that what i would think it should be worth
Old October 7th, 2017, 07:57 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

10 to 13 is good pay for an apprentice. i started doing body work for 7.50 an hour 10 years ago. I worked for peanuts while i learned the ropes. I almost went to work for a local driveshaft shop for 13
Old October 7th, 2017, 08:13 PM

Write one word in the pay desired blank. "Competetive." End of story.

In the applicant/prospective employer relationship, the applicant holds one card, him (or her) self. The employer holds all the other ones. Why would you show your one and only card before the employer has shown any of his?

EVERY job search article I've read from any source says that you do not write a dollar amount in this space. Wait until you see the whole package offered (pay rate, opportunity for overtime, health insurance, vacation time, sick time, whatever else), and then make your response. If it's what you want, take it. If there is room for improvement, suggest changes that would better suit you.

When my wife was applying for a job back in the 1980s, she put a dollar amount in that box after she and I had talked about it. We were novices at this game and were afraid that she'd price herself too high and not get the job. They offered the job at that salary. No negotiation because that's the salary she asked for, and that's what she got. Forever after we wondered what would have happened if she had written in a number 50% higher.

Remember, the goal here is not to be the one who wishes he had asked for a higher pay rate. The goal is to make the employer wish he had offered you a lower one.
Old October 8th, 2017, 03:30 AM
Administrator

ha! Do you live aroubd fort worth?!
I do
Old October 8th, 2017, 06:08 AM

I do
Haha thats awesome! Hey, keep an eye out for a tan 1985 Olds with a brown door! Thats me!
Old October 8th, 2017, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
10 to 13 is good pay for an apprentice. i started doing body work for 7.50 an hour 10 years ago. I worked for peanuts while i learned the ropes. I almost went to work for a local driveshaft shop for 13
Can i ask why you didnt go to the driveshaft shop?
Old October 8th, 2017, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75

In the applicant/prospective employer relationship, the applicant holds one card, him (or her) self. The employer holds all the other ones. Why would you show your one and only card before the employer has shown any of his?

EVERY job search article I've read from any source says that you do not write a dollar amount in this space. Wait until you see the whole package offered (pay rate, opportunity for overtime, health insurance, vacation time, sick time, whatever else), and then make your response. If it's what you want, take it. If there is room for improvement, suggest changes that would better suit you.

When my wife was applying for a job back in the 1980s, she put a dollar amount in that box after she and I had talked about it. We were novices at this game and were afraid that she'd price herself too high and not get the job. They offered the job at that salary. No negotiation because that's the salary she asked for, and that's what she got. Forever after we wondered what would have happened if she had written in a number 50% higher.

Remember, the goal here is not to be the one who wishes he had asked for a higher pay rate. The goal is to make the employer wish he had offered you a lower one.
I like how you put that. I have always felt that employers are given an advantage.
Old October 8th, 2017, 06:23 AM

I didnt go to the drive shaft shop because simply because i know it was going to be boring at the time i had just left a machine shop but that whole jumping carreers didnt last long i went back into body work landed at a great place and havent looked back . I love doing body work and make way more doing that.

Im not the kind of person who can just do one task. It becomes too repetitive. I usually work on anywhere fomr 6 to 8 cars in the body shop so im constantly running around and there is little to no down time.
Old October 8th, 2017, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
I didnt go to the drive shaft shop because simply because i know it was going to be boring at the time i had just left a machine shop but that whole jumping carreers didnt last long i went back into body work landed at a great place and havent looked back . I love doing body work and make way more doing that.

Im not the kind of person who can just do one task. It becomes too repetitive. I usually work on anywhere fomr 6 to 8 cars in the body shop so im constantly running around and there is little to no down time.
I bet working in a body shop is very rewarding. I like to work with my hands and this is my first opportunity to do that. I did some construction but that was just temporarily. But i even found that more rewarding than warehouse work. Which is what im currently doing
Old October 8th, 2017, 05:16 PM

I would write "competitive," myself.
Old October 9th, 2017, 07:16 AM

Don't leave the "pay desired" line blank. They'll think you just forgot to fill it in. Write in the word "competitive."
I've been applying and interviewing now. I always put "negotiable" in the salary field.
Old October 10th, 2017, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Local Hero
I've been applying and interviewing now. I always put "negotiable" in the salary field.
x2

Negotiable or competitive are both good options. You can also use websites like Glassdoor and Indeed to get salary and wage information for whatever job your looking for. Usually, I would try to find 3 on-line sources for "machinist" wages and take the average as a staring point. Good luck.
Old October 11th, 2017, 04:55 AM

While it's worth noting that you can "prove yourself and the pay will go up," that's the old school "hard work will fix everything" maxim that still works for 80% of everything today. However, the point of HR is to protect the company, and that means lowest wages possible. You will never have more negotiating power than before you join, because there is nothing they can do to you before you hire in, and if you hire in low, you will always be that amount lower the whole way through.

Know what you're worth, but don't be mercantile. There's this stupid story going around about the welder who took the welding test twice after seeing the "$18-24" starting pay and pointed at the crappy one and said that it was $18, and the other was $24. Don't do that. You want to imply you are the best, nothing else, but you need to be paid like it, else you're not interested.
Old October 11th, 2017, 06:11 AM
Administrator

An employment application alone does not get you hired, it is the first step in a process. The object as an applicant is to get to the next step. More than likely this company has no HR dept. Since it is a trainee position, again leaving it blank is not a sin. I agree you can insert open, competitive, or any other non committal phrase but do not fill in a number. This should be discussed at the interview after it is determined exactly what the job entails, training, how fast one can advance, benefits, etc... There is no reason to shoot yourself in the foot.

At this point in time, his worth is nothing other than a warm body with potential competing against other warm bodies. The old school method of hard work and proving worth is very much alive here in Texas. Most likely this is not a career position, its a stepping stone on the path to more lucrative employment in the future. The biggest gain is the training not the salary.
Old October 11th, 2017, 11:09 AM

An employment application alone does not get you hired, it is the first step in a process. The object as an applicant is to get to the next step. More than likely this company has no HR dept. Since it is a trainee position, again leaving it blank is not a sin. I agree you can insert open, competitive, or any other non committal phrase but do not fill in a number. This should be discussed at the interview after it is determined exactly what the job entails, training, how fast one can advance, benefits, etc... There is no reason to shoot yourself in the foot.

At this point in time, his worth is nothing other than a warm body with potential competing against other warm bodies. The old school method of hard work and proving worth is very much alive here in Texas. Most likely this is not a career position, its a stepping stone on the path to more lucrative employment in the future. The biggest gain is the training not the salary.
Agreed
Old October 11th, 2017, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Let us know how you make out. Good luck.
Old October 11th, 2017, 04:46 PM
Hookers under Hood

You have all the advice you need to get you through the application process so good luck with that.
Just a ?
Have you ever considered CNC Machining? Applying for a CNC Operator?
Then learn to set-up then program if you find it interesting enough.
Not sure about in the U.S.A but here in Canada, we just can't seem to find enough guys interested to work in the trade.
Just a thought, it pays well.
Best of luck !
Old October 11th, 2017, 09:35 PM

Most people say they have worked for peanuts so i would say put pistachios on your app. They cost wayyyyyy more than peanuts lol.

@ 76olds the shortage is all across the board. In my industry there is a serious demand for body and paint guys. The problem is guys who think the are gonna make big bucks off the bat. Took me 5 years to make any money. But once you are good and get on a flat rate its bank time. the industry standard is " a good body or paint guy should be able to book 20 hrs a day if the work is there " Most flat rate pay is above 15 per hr. so your 15 per hr just turned into 37.5 when you do the math. 15 being on the low end of the flat rate pay . But you have no guarantees. so sometimes you go home with a marginally smaller check check. Most youner people dont wanna struggle and want it handed to them. We just had 2 porters who washed cars quit. They had their foot in the door to learn all they had to do was show initiative all they talked about was being rich LOL . We got an apprentice who is older than me and the other body guy there and he wants to do it and learn and succeed. Kinda nice not having to babysit but it shows the sad state of the trades.

Last edited by coppercutlass; October 11th, 2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old October 20th, 2017, 12:56 PM
Administrator

How'd you make out?
Old October 23rd, 2017, 12:41 PM

How'd you make out?
they never called me unfortunately. I was really hoping they would
Old October 23rd, 2017, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Did you try calling them?
Old October 23rd, 2017, 09:12 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

they never called me unfortunately. I was really hoping they would
We have all been there at one time or another. Most companies do that and it really a bad practice. At least have the courtesy to take a minute and call the applicant and tell them you went with somebody else. You could call them and just ask if they have made a decision yet. If they have not it gives you an opportunity to express your interest in the job. In all likelihood it is time to move on.

Quick Reply: Pay desired.. What shall i ask for?