The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Olds museum trip

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2017, 09:03 AM

Olds museum trip

Heading out for a wedding in Indiana for Friday. Leaving early Thursday should be about a 10 hour drive. Thinking of heading to the Olds Museum on Saturday which is about 2-1/2 hours from there. This would actually add return time on the trip. Anyone been there recently? Is it worth the trip which I'll most likely never have time to do again or should I wine and dine the bride on lake Michigan Saturday night? She's good with either.

Also, 71' Cutlass is running great. Fresh rebuild on the 455 (2,000 miles) 3,500 miles on the rebuilt TH400, new aluminum radiator and hoses, new fan clutch and belts, new brake lines, master, wheel cylinders, shoes & front pads, new front wheel bearings and new shocks. No clue on age of the tires or millage on rear. Drive shaft has about 35,000 on the original 46 year old u-joints, but still good. Car runs steady at 180* but when you shut it down it sometimes burbs. Changed cap and fluid about 2-1/2" from the top for expansion.

Given the trip is long distance and the AC is not working the Cutlass (top down if no rain) should I chance taking it or the wife's car, 2011 Traverse? I've run 2 trips to car shows about 325 miles away and aside from kids fighting in the back, no issues. The car likes to cruise in the 65 to 70 MPH range. So what does the Oldsmobile world think?
Old August 22nd, 2017, 10:24 AM
Administrator

You talked me into it...
Old August 22nd, 2017, 10:55 AM
Old School Olds

Ha, ha, sounds like you made up your mind, don't forget the camera.
Old August 22nd, 2017, 11:31 AM

I went to the museum last November, it really is nice. Probably 50 or so cars, with a nice bunch of pre-war stuff too. I'd never seen a Viking before. It's a great stop if you have the time.
Of course lake Michigan has been really warm this summer and you can't swing a cat without hitting a new brewery or winery here in SW Michigan. So if you choose to just take in the lake shore for a day you will also not be sorry.
Old August 22nd, 2017, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Ha, ha, sounds like you made up your mind, don't forget the camera.
Sort of but your response helps. I guess I'm just looking for a vote of confidence since time going out is a concern.

Of course lake Michigan has been really warm this summer and you can't swing a cat without hitting a new brewery or winery here in SW Michigan. So if you choose to just take in the lake shore for a day you will also not be sorry.

Trying to stay off the beer, pounds only going on. So museum might be a better choice.

Eric I'm guessing We'll get there for lunch.
Old August 22nd, 2017, 06:07 PM

Huston we have an update. From what I can gather on the inter web, the tires are 9 years old. What's the availability on the road for 14"'s?
Old August 22nd, 2017, 06:38 PM
Lansing built

If you run into troubles when you are in Michigan, I can help you out. I am just west of Lansing by 20 minutes. I will be in Grand Rapids on Saturday for the 28th street cruise (mini Woodward) shoot me a PM if you want a number to get a hold of me.

Pat
Old August 23rd, 2017, 07:55 AM

Thanks Pat will do now.
Old August 24th, 2017, 04:35 PM

I'm envious, take lots of pictures Have a good trip.... Tedd
Old August 24th, 2017, 05:53 PM

I'm in Indiana, close to Fort Wayne. If you have any trouble near me, I have a trailer, and a large shop, with tools, and willing to help you out. Have a good trip.
Old August 24th, 2017, 06:43 PM

No good gents. Broke down in PA mile marker 120 on I-80 west. By the way he time we figured it out I had already rented a car. Changed the points. Then had it towed to a service station for a new coil. Turns out the brand new ignition, AC Delco made in India had a bad negative wire from the factory. Losing to much time so I had to go with a rental. The wire stop they Crimp on the point s wire had cut through and broke the wires in side. Once bitten twice shy. If I started out yesterday I would have waited for the repair. I'll give more info next week.

Pat thanks for looking out. If I make it up there before you cruise I'll stop to say hello.
Old August 24th, 2017, 07:05 PM

Rust bucket just saw your message. Thank you for the offer. It's 9:45 & me & the wife are in Applebee's in Ft. Wayne. Funny Hugh? Driving through PA the hills were never ending. Driving through Ohio the road work was never ending. If I would have made Ohio I might had felt more confident to keep going. Wife was getting impatient, which believe me is rare. The last time I was in Ohio I was in the back of a 1971 grand Safari Lemans wagon. I'd say 40 + years ago. Didn't realize it was so flat. I just had the mindset of the hills in my head. Then there was making the wedding tomorrow. Wife suggested we leave Wednesday, I should have listened. Missing the Olds now. Driving a Toyota Camery. Yuck! The gent from the station I was towed to was scratching his head just like me. He actually called a friend who found the bad wire. Honestly, even though all my Olds previously ran points I never thought of checking the wire from the coil to the points. More time available I would have worked it out.
Old August 25th, 2017, 02:58 AM
Lansing built

Bummer about the car! I will be around home till maybe 10ish AM on Saturday. And will be gone most of Friday 6:30 AM-7:15PM

Flexible on Saturdays time table? Wife is working crazy hours Saturday 5AM-6PM???? Another forum member(hurtstlighining84) is going along to the cruise.

Let me know if want to meet early or later in the day if it works for your time table?

Pat
Old August 25th, 2017, 08:05 AM

I'm near Warren/Youngstown if you have trouble. I'm heading to Mackinac Bridge for the Labor Day walk the Bridge. It was on my bucket list, we walked it 4 years ago. I enjoyed it so I put it back on the list. I think there were 43,000 walkers. I think I'll drive over to Lansing to check out the museum again. Good luck.
Old August 27th, 2017, 07:16 PM

Made it to the museum with the rental. Glad I made the trip. We were a little worn out from the wedding and all the driving. Wife wanted to spend the night in Cleveland on the lake, didn't work out. Indians game, no rooms available. Had to drive all the way to PA to find a hotel that had a room. 7 hotels and we came up blank on the first 6. We got the last room at the 7th. Who knew the country was so popular.

Picked up the Cutlass at Steve's Garage in Clearfield, PA. The man renewed my faith in people. Dealing with the NY attitude it's hard to remember people outside the city aren't out to BEEP you. Great guy and very fair with his invoice. If anyone needs a shop in that area, (814)205-4163, 420R River Road Clearfield, PA 16830. Andy Russo's towing if you need a tow in that area. I'll give his info when I can find it.

Car ran great. Steve wanted me to check the dwelling before I left. I took out my light and checked it (30*) and the timing (10* BTDC). Car ran excellent for over 200 miles, stopped for lunch then back on the road again. Traffic for about 10 miles on I-80 getting out of PA. In NJ traffic opened up and was cruising again at about a 70-75 MPH average again. When I hit traffic at the G Washington Bridge the car had a slight tic. Thought it was an exhaust leak.

Now the bad news, when I got home I popped the hood and the #1 lifter is ticking bad. Motor is shaking, dwell was at 33* and timing somehow moved to 8* BTDC. I'll open the valve cover tomorrow. Hopefully just a broken valve spring but somehow I don't think so. I still don't understand how the timing moved on a 3000 mile motor.

A big THANK YOU for all of you that offered your help. If I ever make the trip again I'd like to try to meet up with you, put a face with the name.
Old September 3rd, 2017, 06:52 PM

Put 2 rockers and a bridge in the 455 from the 350 today. They didn't look pretty but they served the purpose. Took the car out for a blast, and I mean blast. It responded great, but did have a valve knock when I punched it over 60. Stikin 93 Octane.