The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Parking car at storage facility

Old May 19th, 2017, 04:29 AM
344879M363895

Parking car at storage facility

Ok, so far I have no bites on the F-85. I've only been advertising it here, however I don't really have the time to deal with it right now since the builder will be finished with our new place soon and I have 1000 other things to be doing.

So...

I'm considering renting an outdoor storage spot from the local storage facility. I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this before I go and sign the contract. Positives/negatives???
Old May 19th, 2017, 05:27 AM

I rented a storage facility in KS to store my 64 Olds 98 and various furniture / brick-a-brack when I enlisted. My wife followed me to Fort Benning, GA and we had the storage unit until I was stationed at Fort Sill, OK.

It will keep a car out of the elements. Make sure you check with your insurance to see if they will continue to cover your car when it's in storage.
Old May 19th, 2017, 06:33 AM

I've seen some that won't allow it, Even have a bollard in the middle of the bay to prevent it

Must be a gas/insurance thing
Old May 19th, 2017, 10:07 AM

Don't forget the No mice allowed sign

Don't forget mouse deterrents. Storage places get mice.
Old May 19th, 2017, 10:22 AM

I read this as you are going to store the car "OUTDOORS," for an undetermined amount of time. If that is correct it is imperative to take steps, as best you can, to
1) Protect the car from the elements,
2) I would also remove the battery,
3) Either drain or fill the tank and add fuel stabilizer,
4) Get the tires off the ground, and
5) Place some sort of vapor barrier between the ground and the undercarriage.
Old May 19th, 2017, 12:11 PM
Administrator

I wouldn't.
Old May 19th, 2017, 12:16 PM

What Eric said
Old May 19th, 2017, 02:27 PM

I buy abandon storage units, There are mice all the time. If you get one next to a trash unit ( people throw food and anything they don't want at there place in them) and they don't pay, because it would cost them more to haul to dump. The places I deal with, wait 6 months then sale, by then the smell and trash get into next units, along with the mice. Myself, I would never store any of my things. I would cover up outside and keep at my place before I would store it somewhere else. Just my two cents
Old May 20th, 2017, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by 70-442-W30
I'm considering renting an outdoor storage spot from the local storage facility. I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this before I go and sign the contract. Positives/negatives???
So "outdoor" storage means you're renting a parking space. What's the cost different between that and a rented garage? Your car looks way too nice to park outside and have it deteriorate. No matter how well you cover it, it will still deteriorate faster than if parked in an enclosed garage.

If you have collector car insurance on it, you probably won't be able to keep it, assuming you inform the insurance company about the new storage arrangements, because that kind of insurance requires parking in a secure space. So you'll have to get daily driver insurance on it, assuming you insure it, which I'm assuming you will if it isn't already.

I hear people's comments about problems with storage units, but sometimes you just don't have the space at home and need to rent something. I've never had any trouble with rented storage. With the acquisition of a second old Olds, I've had to rent a garage to keep one of my old cars in. $87 per month for a 10' by 20' garage. Very clean, and I visit the car often to take it out and drive it, so I don't anticipate mice problems.
Old May 20th, 2017, 07:30 AM

I am about four hours from you and believe I have room in my garage to store your car . If this might help let me know . Climate controlled and promise no mice
Old May 20th, 2017, 12:07 PM

I've seen the car, it's worth the money. I would advertise it hard. Craigslist, Car Trader magazine and even Ebay. Put the lowest absolute price, then see what happens. I would get rid of it. Putting it in storage, it becomes an alligator, eating every month plus it's easy to forget about, then the costs really add up. I give a car a certain window of time, then I start cutting my price in order to "cut" my loss. Jmo. Good luck.
Old May 20th, 2017, 04:20 PM
344879M363895

Thanks Kennybill for the firsthand account of the car and thanks to everyone else for your thoughts also! Yes, my hesitation to put into storage is both what you mentioned and also the elements and theft, etc. But I really need that room in my garage.

Although today we re-configured some of the furniture arrangements in the downstairs to help with staging boxes for the move. So I don't need the room as bad as I needed it yesterday.

I appreciate the offer Gmcdually. If it happens to not sell in the next little bit, I will keep your offer in mind.

My intent with the outdoor storage is only to do it for possibly 3 months while the vehicle finally gets sold. I will have no shed at the new place, at least up front...and will need to use my garage for some of the things I keep in there like riding mower, attachments, etc. And just like the place I have now, the garage on the place we are having built is only about 20 x 22. So really no room for everything.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 07:24 AM
344879M363895

Took Kennybill's advice and posted to CL. I don't really want to put in storage anyway so we'll see where this leads. I just hate random strangers contacting me and I don't really have the time for tire kickers...but it just just part of the process I suppose. Will have a much wider audience there anyway.
Old May 24th, 2017, 07:25 AM

Lawn mower and attachments in the garage, etc? You got your priorities mixed up.
Old May 24th, 2017, 09:09 AM
344879M363895

Originally Posted by Mike77
Lawn mower and attachments in the garage, etc? You got your priorities mixed up.
No unless I want to look like a hillbilly where they keep all of that stuff just rotting outside, then unfortunately that's where those items have to go at least in the short term.

I have a 12x24 shed now, which many would call more than a shed. Came in handy for pool furniture and other bulky items. I won't have that at least to start out with when we move, so all of this stuff has to go somewhere. And, lucky me...well we moved into another neighborhood with an HOA so you just can't keep this stuff outside unless you do have an approved shed. That takes time.

Anyway, future parking problem solved. Car has been sold to a member here.
Old May 27th, 2017, 07:47 AM

.............. And, lucky me...well we moved into another neighborhood with an HOA so you just can't keep this stuff outside unless you do have an approved shed. That takes time.

Anyway, future parking problem solved. Car has been sold to a member here.

The car was the least of your problems.. the HOA is going to be an albatross around your neck the first time that you leave a blade of grass uncut.
Old June 15th, 2017, 08:10 AM
344879M363895

Posting this here for also additional visibility:

I'm starting to get concerned that my buyer has either had something happen or no longer wants to go through with the sale. I have tried to contact them multiple times here recently to schedule pickup of the car and they have not replied.

I am going to keep the member private just in case something bad did happen on their end, but I wanted to let everyone know that I am taking backup offers on the car at this point. They never gave me their phone number so I can't call them. Deposit was done via PayPal. They do have my phone number but have never called or at least never left a message if they did.

I'm in a bad spot. I really was hoping to get this out of my garage a while ago and we closed on our other house already. So I need to make this happen. Kinda unsure what to do.
Old June 15th, 2017, 08:26 AM
Old School Olds

If it were me, I would hold the deposit for him just in case, seeing
as your in the dark as is and need to move on. Batter up! Sell it to
next person in line if any. Good luck Bill.
Old June 15th, 2017, 12:05 PM
344879M363895

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
I'm not doing anything with the car due to the deposit but will take a backup offer. If nothing else I may have to trailer it to Raleigh. And I already need to make about 4 trips there and back. This will just add to it.
Old June 16th, 2017, 07:04 AM

x2

It doesn't take long to purchase a vehicle. I'm going to drive to Springfield, MO tomorrow and buy a truck as long as it isn't a lemon. I originally contacted the owner on Tuesday. I will call him today after lunch to confirm our meeting tomorrow.

Apparently, the person who said they wanted to buy your car is just dragging their feet.
Old June 16th, 2017, 08:08 AM
Old School Olds

SOGOTP comes to mind when it's time for a car deal.
Old June 17th, 2017, 04:52 PM
344879M363895

Believe it or not, I actually had to look that one up.

Yes, the weird thing is that he was quick to send the PayPal deposit, and a few weeks later he said the check was in the mail so it would clear prior to pickup. However, I didn't receive any check so I'm just wondering what happened.

I don't really want to call out one of our members here, so I'll just give him a few more days and hope that he was either taking care of something ultra important or I will find out that he doesn't want the car for sure.

Regardless, I won't be angry. I just don't want the inconvenience of having to haul this thing again if I can avoid it. But my wife says I'm too nice sometimes...maybe she's right.
Old June 19th, 2017, 12:11 PM
344879M363895

Ok I give up. If someone here knows how to contact user "Gmcdually", (as my PM have done no good...) please do so for me and find out his intentions on the car. It has been about a month since the deposit. And the movers are coming this week.

He seem like a nice guy. Not sure if something happened to him or what but I need to know if he wants his deposit back so I can move on.

Thanks if you reach out to him via this site or know him personally otherwise and contact him. I will owe you a dinner if we ever meet up.
Old June 19th, 2017, 12:22 PM

The User Control Panel for Gmcdually says he was on the site less than a week ago. I sent him another PM requesting that he contact you. Hopefully you hear from him soon.
Old June 19th, 2017, 03:47 PM
344879M363895

Originally Posted by Olds64
The User Control Panel for Gmcdually says he was on the site less than a week ago. I sent him another PM requesting that he contact you. Hopefully you hear from him soon.
Thank you Olds64. I'm trying to do things the right way here and I do appreciate your effort to make that happen also. I hope it works out.
Old June 20th, 2017, 01:40 PM

Pray tell, what is SOGOTP? Where does one look these things up, as one user here did?
Old June 20th, 2017, 01:42 PM

Ok, got it. Google is your friend ... .
Old June 21st, 2017, 01:57 PM

Hopefully you hear from the buyer. But if you do have to store it pay for the enclosed garage storage its worth it. The open spaces people can run into your car with their trailers or vehicle trying to get to their space or just going around the facility. Also prevents people from trying to steal stuff or damage it on purpose. I locked my 71 and 66 in a storage garage for 9mth before I could return to CA and bring them home. No mice or other issues.
Old June 21st, 2017, 05:16 PM
344879M363895

Thanks Magna86. I'm not sure what exactly I'm getting into yet, but I will use your advice to my advantage if I go down that road.

Well I transferred the deposit amount back into my PayPal from my bank today and it takes a few days to clear, which is exactly a month since I received the deposit. As soon as it clears my account I plan on refunding the deposit and I feel I'm well within my rights to do so.

Unless I get him talking to me or showing up at my door, the car will be for sale here at a lower amount in a few days. However I will need pickup to occur next week, as we are closing on this place on the 30th. So if anyone has had their eye on it and was waiting for it to drop, well it apparently will. I'm thinking $2900. Which I paid twice as much, so you win.

I'm a nice guy but I can't deal with someone possibly avoiding me. And to prove how nice I am, I will fully refund the deposit. And to further prove how nice I am I also still hold on to the chance that something is wrong with Gmcdually and I wish him well. Without communication I just don't know.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 08:34 PM

Ugh. Feel for you, I've been down this road twice actually with an AWOL buyer who paid a deposit. And like you, I'm probably a nice guy to a fault. Instant moral quandary!

My 2 cents (which is overpriced) would be to relist it on CL for $500 less (or whatever depost $ were received) than your orig asking price, with some "price reduced" or "must sell by 6/30" taglines. Then PM the orig buyer who you haven't heard from announcing that you are doing this, and will keep the deposit if it sells to offset your 'fire sale' asking price.

On 6/30, if not sold, PM again to announce you are keeping the deposit to offset storage and or other inconvenience costs.

Someone said "Doing the right thing is never wrong" but at the end of the day this is business, and you've bent over backwards to be accommodating. If you are stil stuck with car by your deadline, I was say keep the deposit and sleep well at night because it's a reasonable and fair thing to do.

All that being said, I too hope the dude shows up tomorrow with a thick envelope and an apology, and completes the sale.

Good luck!!

Last edited by Dan K; June 22nd, 2017 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Typo again - dont post with a cell phone!
Old June 23rd, 2017, 04:59 AM
344879M363895

Originally Posted by Dan K
Ugh. Feel for you, I've been down this road twice actually with an AWOL buyer who paid a deposit. And like you, I'm probably a nice guy to a fault. Instant moral quandary!

My 2 cents (which is overpriced) would be to relist it on CL for $500 less (or whatever depost $ were received) than your orig asking price, with some "price reduced" or "must sell by 6/30" taglines. Then PM the orig buyer who you haven't heard from announcing that you are doing this, and will keep the deposit if it sells to offset your 'fire sale' asking price.

On 6/30, if not sold, PM again to announce you are keeping the deposit to offset storage and or other inconvenience costs.

Someone said "Doing the right thing is never wrong" but at the end of the day this is business, and you've bent over backwards to be accommodating. If you are stil stuck with car by your deadline, I was say keep the deposit and sleep well at night because it's a reasonable and fair thing to do.

All that being said, I too hope the dude shows up tomorrow with a thick envelope and an apology, and completes the sale.

Good luck!!
Thanks for the prudent advice Dan K. I am going to refer back to your words here multiple times as there were some real gems you typed out. I'm glad you took the time to post them.
Old June 23rd, 2017, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the prudent advice Dan K. I am going to refer back to your words here multiple times as there were some real gems you typed out. I'm glad you took the time to post them.
Thanks. I was getting pissed just reading the thread. One last thought, since this countdown to your deadline is so short, would be to price it as attractively as possible. With your relocation, new house, etc etc you have bigger fish to fry then trying to store this car at places which - as noted by others, justs costs money and puts the car at risk of deterioration and who knows what.

But yeah, keep the deposit IMHO, I mean - a month with no contact from the buyer?? What a slap in the face. This needs to be a lesson for that guy as well!! We Olds guys don't negotiate with terrorists! (well, hard to negotiate with radio silence but... just sayin')

Again, good luck, and hooe this all has a happy-ish ending.
Old June 23rd, 2017, 01:23 PM
344879M363895

Originally Posted by Dan K
Thanks. I was getting pissed just reading the thread. One last thought, since this countdown to your deadline is so short, would be to price it as attractively as possible. With your relocation, new house, etc etc you have bigger fish to fry then trying to store this car at places which - as noted by others, justs costs money and puts the car at risk of deterioration and who knows what.

But yeah, keep the deposit IMHO, I mean - a month with no contact from the buyer?? What a slap in the face. This needs to be a lesson for that guy as well!! We Olds guys don't negotiate with terrorists! (well, hard to negotiate with radio silence but... just sayin')

Again, good luck, and hooe this all has a happy-ish ending.
You have my sense of humor. I'm hoping you post more.

I guess I just have a really long fuse. But I should have known when he said the check was in the mail to clear before pickup and that week ended with no check and then the next week came and still none either.
Old June 26th, 2017, 09:36 AM
344879M363895

Refunded his deposit just now. Full deposit.

Last edited by 70-442-W30; July 2nd, 2017 at 09:01 AM. Reason: not currently for sale
Old June 26th, 2017, 02:16 PM

Like more than a few others, I would have kept the deposit! Kudos to you for being so understanding.
Old June 26th, 2017, 03:36 PM
344879M363895

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
Like more than a few others, I would have kept the deposit! Kudos to you for being so understanding.
Thanks D. Yaros. He is one of our members here and I have to give him the benefit of the doubt. ClassicOldsmobile guys (and gals) are generally a great crowd.

Oddly enough no PM today from anyone. Looks like I may have to take this with me after all...