The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Pool complaint etc

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2017, 09:10 AM
344879M363895

Pool complaint etc

Sorry guys, I don't have much Oldsmobile to contribute and/or bother the site with anymore...but I just need to vent a little.

Our swimming pool has pretty much absorbed a few days of my time now. Took the cover off on Mother's Day and a bunch of the rotten leaves on the top ended up going in when the cover caught on the edge where the fountains are. Water was extremely murky and the pump wasn't working right in the beginning. Got a new filter and core now. 2 bottom tabs broke off the "old" core. Disappointing as it is only 2 years old if that.

So I have the robot working out there getting what it can and it gets clogged up with leaves about every hour or so. The problem with the filter was it was one of those anti-microbial filters where the cells are a bit finer. Therefore it wasn't allowing as much flow as needed with as much junk that is in there. I got a cheap filter in there now and it is flowing fine, creating the whirlpool in the skimmer basket. Water is clearing up already. We have a 1.5 HP pump on a 10k gallon pool so it normally works well.

If we were going to stay in this house, I would be doing a full winter safety cover that you can walk on. Those stay tight and you can use a leaf blower on them pretty easily. The pool company wanted $3k to install one of those but I wasn't willing to pay that considering the cover itself can be found online for $1200. But then that's how some of these pool places work. They really kill you on the options because you don't know how much it should cost as a new pool owner.

Anyway, thanks for letting me complain a bit.

As far as the Oldsmobiles go, well I don't really know what the status of the W-30 is. But I hope Stefano or someone he found who shares his love of Oldsmobiles is having a great time with it. Still no regrets on selling. Just wish I wouldn't have been sick at MCACN. I plan on going again sometime.

The F-85 is still in the garage and I really need it out of here to start the moving/warehousing process...in other words...still for sale. If it doesn't sell, I may have to get Eric to come down and take it back to the Land of Olds and just let him use it until I have the room for it someday.

Let me know what you guys are up to. I haven't been on here that much lately but I do miss the comradery.
Old May 17th, 2017, 09:53 AM

That's a bummer that you're having difficulty with your pool. I know the feeling, the pool behind my house is 35 years old and looks it too. At least it still holds water and filters adequately.
Old May 17th, 2017, 11:54 AM
344879M363895

Originally Posted by Olds64
That's a bummer that you're having difficulty with your pool. I know the feeling, the pool behind my house is 35 years old and looks it too. At least it still holds water and filters adequately.
I just checked on it and I can almost see the bottom now. FINALLY!
Old May 17th, 2017, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by 70-442-W30
I just checked on it and I can almost see the bottom now. FINALLY!

15 gallons of liquid chlorine, fill your filter basket with two or three chlorine pucks and run it for two days and it will be clear. Then vacuum up the dead algae. I have a 25,000 gallon in-ground and that's my spring ritual. You need a deep skimmer to get the leaves out and you have to do it by hand when you open the pool. A vacuum is worthless

I have one of those "super covers" and they are definitely worth it but you have to buy it at the beginning when the pool is installed or they screw you. It does a great job of keeping the leaves out and I like it because it keep the dead chipmunks and squirrels to a minimum too. Installing them yourself is pretty easy if you have three feet of concrete around the pool and you own a decent hammerdrill. I've seen the inserts used in pavers but I'd rather see them in concrete

Last edited by allyolds68; May 17th, 2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old May 19th, 2017, 04:06 AM
344879M363895

It is all good now. The robot is pulling in no debris. Just really overdid it on the salt, causing it to be cloudy. My salt level is around 4700 now and it is supposed to be around 3600. Will drain about a foot and refill.

Crazy weather. Near 90 here and snowing like crazy in some other parts of the country. For this time of year, I'm quite surprised.
Old May 19th, 2017, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by 70-442-W30
It is all good now. The robot is pulling in no debris. Just really overdid it on the salt, causing it to be cloudy. My salt level is around 4700 now and it is supposed to be around 3600. Will drain about a foot and refill.

Crazy weather. Near 90 here and snowing like crazy in some other parts of the country. For this time of year, I'm quite surprised.
forget everything I said about chlorine. I know nothing about salt systems.