The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

You know you are getting old when.....

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2017, 09:45 AM

You know you are getting old when.....

I couldn't believe it when I tried to change the points in my 55 and I couldn't get the cap off. such a simple thing. I couldn't stand on my tippy- toes long enough to pry off the damn far side distributor clip, knees just couldn't take it. Sorta depressing and a bit of a shock. It could be because I had been wrestling with a water heater all morning and the old knees were just used up or that I have passed another point in my life that says get someone else to do it. Pointless ignition is looking better and better but I'm going to give it another go this morning when everything is fresh...... Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; April 29th, 2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old April 29th, 2017, 10:56 AM

Tedd, you're not done yet. The water heater bushed you out. A lot can be done to counter the effects of age with good diet, good sleep, and exercise.
Old April 29th, 2017, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Tedd, you're not done yet. The water heater bushed you out. A lot can be done to counter the effects of age with good diet, good sleep, and exercise.
Says the guy who is probably around 40, healthy and fit. Trust me, getting old SUCKS........
Old April 29th, 2017, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by RandyS
Says the guy who is probably around 40, healthy and fit. Trust me, getting old SUCKS........
Guilty. 37, running a half marathon next weekend, and did one last weekend.

I based my comments on my 72 year old dad. He's got stenosis, so his back bugs him, but he eats right, tries to sleep enough, drinks too much (partly because of back), but he's gone to the gym 3 times a week for the past 20 years and it has helped. He also has a girl in a neighboring town that he still keeps happy, if you get my meaning, weekly.

So, gym and enough sleep.
Old April 29th, 2017, 11:39 AM

It's a pay me now or pay me later thing. As a youth I was bullet proof (so I thought), Played football, wrestled at a high level, raced motorcycles,thought I could jump tall buildings in a single bound You know the feeling. It all comes back to haunt you, I've pretty much used up my body what is left of it that's mine, the rest is stainless or once belong to some one else.

I don't think I quite ever grew up probably never will according to my wife But I still dream like I was going on twenty one. I'm not giving up but I'm reevaluating my real options...... Lost in the fifties ... Tedd
Old April 29th, 2017, 12:25 PM
Old(s) Fart

Just remember what Smokey Yunick used to say:

Old age and treachery will beat youth and enthusiasm any day.
Old April 29th, 2017, 12:34 PM

Ted, next time use a stepping stool. That's why man created tools, to make life easier.
Old April 29th, 2017, 01:12 PM
Bfg

Have you looked into a whole body transplant? It's a medical marvel!
Old April 29th, 2017, 01:36 PM

Tedd, I am there with you. The answer is to adapt, which in this instance is, as suggested by RROLDSX, means finding a platform ladder to use.
Old April 29th, 2017, 01:42 PM

LOL. I too was able to leap tall buildings. Up until 5 years ago there was never a Bolt or nut I could not loosen or a pickle jar I could not open. Now I rely on tools and spotlighting and seem to be able to resume my Superman duties. Now if I could just find my glasses....
Old April 29th, 2017, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Well luckily I was born tall... However it does seem now I have to take a few advil before and after projects.
Koda, you keep believing that...
Old April 29th, 2017, 02:11 PM
Bfg

I find if I put a heavy packing blanket on top of the fender to lay on when I'm working on my 55 it helps. I'm 6'1 and 65 years young.
Old April 29th, 2017, 02:26 PM

Gett'in old ain't for sissies
Old April 29th, 2017, 02:29 PM

Kids remember this, getting old is a privilege not many make it that far. That said, its not for wimps either-I feel your anxiety. I was under the dash on the 64 most of the afternoon in high humidity finishing the sound system wiring, put in a USB charging station where the old cigarette lighter was, electrical gremlins etc. I'm worn out, I could not bend and twist and get my hands on the things that I could have years ago but you learn to slow down and improvise. Over and out.
Old April 29th, 2017, 02:35 PM

Some of my young whipper snapper friends on "The Good Morning "thread wanted me to use and ax and a maul to split up a tree for firewood that fell behind my home last week. I opted for the gas powered wood spliter

I may be old but I'm not stupid.
Old April 29th, 2017, 02:42 PM

Yep. This getting old crap sucks but it sure as hell beats the alternative
Old April 29th, 2017, 03:05 PM
Olds Fever

Tedd don't feel bad... Today I installed a battery in one of my W-Bodies and without even thinking I installed it with the battery terminals against the fender side... Bolted the battery down, went to hookup the cables and oh crap (actually a little harsher vocabulary)... Talk about a senior moment, a whole lot of moments went by on that one...
Old April 29th, 2017, 03:41 PM

The only golden moments us old guys have is when pee, usually takes a lot more than a moment though these days.

I'm not through wrenching as yet, I have thoughts of building a rat rod but getting stuck on something as simple as a distributor cap does make me a little scared. How many 1/2 finished projects have we seen with some widow trying to get it out of her garage with a bunch of other stuff she doesn't recognize.I would hate to do that to my Lady....... Tedd
Old April 29th, 2017, 04:06 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
How many 1/2 finished projects have we seen with some widow trying to get it out of her garage with a bunch of other stuff she doesn't recognize.I would hate to do that to my Lady....... Tedd
Over the past few years, I have been educating my wife a lot about my hoard and $$ values... I just hope she doesn't put a hit out on me once the education process is completed...
Old April 29th, 2017, 04:26 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Ha. I'm in the middle of swapping out shocks, tie rod ends, and sway bar links in a 2006 Dakota.
I'm away from home for a few months, so have to rely on the tools I packed (luckily including an air wrench and a small compressor - I'm not stupid).
The rears went easy enough, but the front suspension is diabolical, with coil-over shocks (Macpherson struts that don't pivot) and sway bar links that break and cost $30 EACH.

Spent most of the day on one side, learning from my mistakes (Upper ball joint has to be split to get shock out. Really. Springs are wound so tight there is only one spot where you can sledgehammer in the jaws of the spring compressor, one at a time. Tops of the spring retainers are rusted, shock top nuts have no flats anymore, so must be cut off, and, of course, are down in a hole...).

Normally, I'd be down there right now taking the other side apart, but I came up for a brief rest, and actually entertained the thought that maybe I should just do the other side tomorrow.

Getting old.

Let's hope I can finish before my wife gets home...

- Eric
Old April 29th, 2017, 04:40 PM

I made a couple step stools from heavy duty steel conduit with heavy expanded metal tops. They are a hair lower than the rocker door opening. I'm 6'2" or at least I use to be but they come in handy when under the hood of the boats. Working under a dash I use both with moving blankets for cushions, laying down out of the door with the seat back. My 2 post lift is a back saver also. Everything takes longer and anything that can go wrong will. Thankfully I'm retired so there's no hurry.
Old April 29th, 2017, 04:55 PM

You know you're getting old when you're reluctant to read a thread so titled because you're afraid you'll recognize so many of the comments taht you have to give some acknowledgement to the fact you're getting old.

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
How many 1/2 finished projects have we seen with some widow trying to get it out of her garage with a bunch of other stuff she doesn't recognize.I would hate to do that to my Lady.......
As long as you're alive and can get out there, do the things you enjoy doing. To avoid a hobby or passion because of concern over what's left at the end seems like a waste of the time we have.
Old April 29th, 2017, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Well luckily I was born tall... However it does seem now I have to take a few advil before and after projects.
Koda, you keep believing that...
Will do. Not many gray hairs and still thick up there. I'm gonna go run 3 miles, brb.
Old April 29th, 2017, 06:11 PM

Although I am getting to be experienced in this subject, I have no comment.
Old April 30th, 2017, 12:38 AM
Hookers under Hood

A few shots of jack on ice with a little of mother nature's finest and were good to go here. Numbs the body a little after wrenchin'
Old April 30th, 2017, 01:37 AM

If originality is not important, an 1110857 distributor from a 1956 or 1957 Olds will do an easy direct swap into the 1955 and will use the "window" cap so you no longer have to struggle with the clips or setting the gap on the points. It also uses the newer components which are easier to find. The advance curves are a bit different, but you will likely not notice the difference in performance.

The breakerless conversion will also likely reduce the agony until the semiconductor fails.
Old April 30th, 2017, 05:12 AM

Tedd ,just remember the saying "Old guys Rule"! The only thing about this is some times we can't remember it, and other times we fail to believe it.
I now know why retirement comes to us,because it takes us so much longer to do the simple (used to be simple things), that we no longer have time for a job where we could make a living.
Just be thankful that we have the time to do the wrench turning more slowly.A lot of our friends didn't get that opportunity. Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; May 2nd, 2017 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Add
Old April 30th, 2017, 09:24 AM

I myself have been experiencing some of these same problems. In a search for answers I have been trying something that seems to come quite naturally. I just stand there in the garage staring at the car, thinking of all the things that need done. Sometimes I do this with a beer in one hand. I guess with all the advances in science these days I'm hoping to stumble onto some yet undiscovered "Force" that will, like in the movies, lift the heavy stuff and turn the rusty bolts using nothing more than sheer willpower. Usually the only thing that happens is I realize that my beer is empty. At that point, in order not to break my concentration on tasks at hand, I holler "Can you bring me another beer?" Sometimes this works. But just as often I get "Get your own beer! lazy a$$" yelled from somewhere deep inside the house.
On the occasion when I'm tired of waiting on the "Force" I crawl under the car and begin addressing the problems in a more normal manner using my hands and my tools. Invariably I come to a point where the tool I need is just out of reach or, worse yet, still on top of the car. It's at this time that I revert to the sometimes successful query.."Dear, can you hand me that 9/16" socket?....please??" When feeling benovolent, dear wife comes out and tries to hand me what I need......."This it?"....."no, thats a dead blow hammer"....."this it?"...."no, thats a piece of rotten fuel hose"......"WELL I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS YOU'RE LOOKING FOR THEN!! THAT'S ALL THAT'S UP HERE!!!!"....."thank you for looking Dear. I'll just crawl out and find it then." (Best not to anger Dear wife any further as this could put in peril any future beer deliveries, however sporadic.) As I scoot from under the car a shooting pain rolls the length of my spine and as I look to discover what caused it......"Well I'll be damned.....9/16"!
Havn't given up yet, but sometimes wonder why. :-)

Last edited by lansing; April 30th, 2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old April 30th, 2017, 11:27 AM

Lansing - You are so close to mastering the Force! Did you not notice how the 9/16" followed you? Calm you shall keep and carry on you must. Yes Hmmmmm.

Last edited by RROLDSX; April 30th, 2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old April 30th, 2017, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by RROLDSX
Lansing - You are so close to mastering the Force! Did you not notice how the 9/16" followed you? Calm you shall keep and carry you must. Yes Hmmmmm.

Encouraged by a fellow traveler I stood motionless in my garage staring at the impossible to reach little window on my B bodied Oldsmobile. "30 degrees dwell, 30 degrees dwell" I chanted under my breath. There were breif moments when I thought "Yes, yes, finally I am one with the force!".......Then the beer ran out.......Alas, tomorrow is another day.
Old April 30th, 2017, 12:18 PM

Lansing,

You are really missing your calling
Old April 30th, 2017, 01:06 PM
Cory

The older I get, the more I substitute profanity for brute strength. In fact, I can cuss a part or tool into total submission. It don't work with the ladies though.
Old April 30th, 2017, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Lansing,

You are really missing your calling

Thanks. Would have been nice if you'd told me that 40 yrs. ago!

Some say it's creative writing, probably closer to the truth is, it's just a tired old man hijacking a thread for a few smiles....I'll stop now.
Old April 30th, 2017, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by dream66
The older I get, the more I substitute profanity for brute strength. In fact, I can cuss a part or tool into total submission.
You too? I'm glad my shop is insulated pretty well, cause the nice folks next door would undoubtedly learn some new language occasionally.
Old April 30th, 2017, 07:13 PM

Lansing...
Old April 30th, 2017, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by RandyS
You too? I'm glad my shop is insulated pretty well, cause the nice folks next door would undoubtedly learn some new language occasionally.
I was thinking the exact same thing! good ting I'm usually alone in my shop as the verbal thrashing of tools and parts can get pretty brutal But the one that gets me worked up the most when the tools and parts move, and I cant find where they moved to I to am paying the price for being bullet proof in my younger years, but I'm just glad I'm still around to play with my Olds
Old April 30th, 2017, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Chris J
But the one that gets me worked up the most when the tools and parts move, and I cant find where they moved to
Right? Just the other day I was sure that someone had sneaked in to my shop in the middle of the night and removed several items from where I was sure I had stored them. I was cussing up a storm, and it really pissed me off. Guess what I found today....... yup! I'm like, OHHHHHH, that's where I moved them to......... DOH!
Old May 1st, 2017, 12:10 AM

Another frustration of aging

For those of us old people who have been unfortunate enough to be prescribed round pills, we are regularly tormented by some sadistic designer who invented these forms of medication. Somehow, when they are dropped, they seem to grow legs, run like Hell, and hide somewhere out of sight. It's abuse of the elderly!
Old May 1st, 2017, 06:06 AM

Ozzy you make me giggle. I dropped said pill this very morning after my shower and before before I put my contact in no less. My pit bull who thinks anything that hits the floor should be eaten made a run for the noise of said dropped pill, I who was naked as a jay bird and still dripping wet and the dog went nose to nose on the floor. Then the wife wants to know what's all the noise about. Found the pill, not sure my wife excepted my explanation though. Ain't old age neat.... Tedd
Old May 26th, 2017, 06:22 AM

On the getting old subject. I turn 54 on May 29th. I played a lot of hockey and my hips paid the price. I would sometimes stop dead in my tracks with sharp pain jolting up my legs. Yes Advil is a saviour but you can't live on that stuff. My doctor said he's had success from other patients taking Omega 3's (2 everyday). I didn't have much faith in this snake oil story but gave it a shot. Coincidence maybe but I am living pain free and a lot less stiff. I might take a couple Advil once in a while. Give the Omega's a shot! Al

Quick Reply: You know you are getting old when.....