The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Non Car people suck rant

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2017, 10:00 PM

Non Car people suck rant

Most of my close cousins and buddies have past a way young and the other have died mentally to drugs or gangs. I'm kind of a loaner now because I was never in the business of finding new friends. But even my friends were not car guys.. I find it hard to to converse with my neighbors, co workers, and family about cars, they just dont get it. And when ever I do talk to them, they have a way of killing my motivation. They just want the finished shinny product, they can't see past the rust. They don't know hard work or pride in ones own work. I've been finding myself more able to talk to my wife than anyone, which is good but also sad in a funny way that some guys my generation just don't get it.. my mom gets it, she has told me I could store any thing in her property. But that's a grand two people in my life and in the end they don't really get nothing because they are women with all respect. My brother rather buy a honda or some jap 4banger. Hope I get a son with some moter oil in his blood one day..

Last edited by RocketRonnie; April 11th, 2017 at 07:06 AM.
Old April 10th, 2017, 11:03 PM

Don't underestimate women and cars...there are many who do get it, and get it better than a lot of guys do!

Are there any car clubs in your area? Cruise nights, anything like that? Good way to find people to chat with who get cars. Don't have to make friends to have a good chin wag.
Old April 11th, 2017, 12:29 AM

Your right about women, and also about the chin wag lol.
Old April 11th, 2017, 03:06 AM
Lansing built

That's why you are here? Everybody here is the obvious!

Pat
Old April 11th, 2017, 03:24 AM
Administrator

Never under estimate the power of a woman. I have a female friend that built these in her garage. The altered was raced by her husband for many years until he passed away a few years ago. The coupe she started building 3 years ago at age 65 from scratch. At just under the age of dirt, I find I don't really give a $4it what others think of what I do or enjoy in my life. My life is all about "me". My wife is very understanding of my car affliction.

Old April 11th, 2017, 04:55 AM

We all got thru it. In my group of friends I was the only one who was outgoing. I kept on trucking. I was into cars in general at a very young age, maybe 4. People were amazed how at about 6 or 7 (about 1976) I could name any year make and model (mostly 50's to late 70's). Didn't hurt I had much older brothers who hung out in the hot rod scene. My friends hammered me for it. I kept on truckin. Got out of the game for a long time because I had no place to work on cars. When I bought my house I told my wife it needs 2 things, 2 bath rooms and a 2 car garage. Well neither happened. I still wait on line to pee and the garage is filled with junk & bikes. All the time owning a 71 442 conv't. 2 years ago I said enough is enough and bought a 71' Cutlass.

Now the good news. I met a father through my sons scouting interest who has the same interest in cars I do and I was about 43 or 44, now 48. He has a 2 car garage he built to work on cars and he's just as crazy as I am when it comes to cars. We've developed a great friendship the last few years. He has his Uncle's 73' Buick 225 and we are currently working on that. Should be done by summer, Next up a 71' 442 conv't that's been a puzzle for 30+ years.

What's the point? KEEP ON TRUCKIN' Sooner or later you will find good people who are into it as much as you. Until then you have this site and car shows.
Old April 11th, 2017, 06:59 AM

You guys are all right, keep on trucking is what I'll do. This website helps a lot. And my wife is a the best thing I could ask for, she understand me and keeps me company in my garage and willing to get dirty, plus she's a fox. So I guess my rant is over hahaha ( thats was quick).
Old April 11th, 2017, 11:30 AM
delete

Zeeke, I see you are in Floral Park. I'm in Massapequa Park and a two car garage is a tall order. I have a one car that's good to keep the car in but I can't do any work in it. In my youth I worked at ATV (if you remember the chain). I made some good friends there that I still hang with today. All of us are car guys. I'm very fortunate in that manner.

PS-One car garage but three bathrooms
Old April 11th, 2017, 12:44 PM

I'm also on long island and looking forward to seeing​ you guys at the upcoming Oldsmobile shows. I was also the only one of my friends growing up that was car crazy - unfortunately living in an apartment in Queens was not conducive to owing or working on cars, though eventually I figured it out. Spent boat loads of money for a space in my buildings garage and worked on my cars in friend's driveways -their parents were not happy with me. Subsequent apartments and houses didn't have garages either, and our current home is 100 years old and the detached garage was big enough for a model t only. Once it completely fell down I built myself a nice new building that houses my then Corvair and now Cutlass - the late model leased card can rot in the elements as far as I'm concerned. As my wife is now unemployed and semi-house bound due to health issues, while not pleased I don't spend every waking moment with her, she gets my need to get out of the house and tinker with and show off my car. I've met some of the nicest people and even made new friends while being involved in shows, clubs and even forums like this one. My advise: make life work for you best you can and enjoy yourself, regardless of what anyone else thinks. Remember, you may not be into whatever they are, either, and as long as you can respect that, they will respect you. Eventually.
Old April 11th, 2017, 01:45 PM
delete

Originally Posted by PM70
I'm also on long island and looking forward to seeing​ you guys at the upcoming Oldsmobile shows. .

Olds Dust Off Merrick 5/7/17 - hoping to make it
Old April 11th, 2017, 03:15 PM
Olds Fever

Being in California, there must be some major car scenes/areas where people congregate to show their rides and talk cars... It may not be directly in your neighborhood, but I'm sure you could find something - google car cruises - you might be surprised what you will find...

Last edited by CRUZN 66; April 11th, 2017 at 04:26 PM.
Old April 11th, 2017, 04:04 PM
Administrator

You can google car shows and you'll find websites that list dates, times and locations of shows in your area. You can also locate the local Olds club through Hemmings.
Old April 11th, 2017, 05:00 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I'm a car guy who hates car people. I can't really work with others and rather work alone. There is only 2 people I can truly work with and talk cars with. Most people at car shows cruise nights are check writers who I can't stand talking to which is why I hate car shows and cruise nights. I got better things to do then sit around on a lawn chair for hours. I'd rather be in the garage working on an engine , trans or getting the car ready for the track. I like the forum community but anyone who has been here long enough knows that is also an area I have issues getting along with people. But that ls a story in its self. For me my car is my way to meditate. I turn the music on and put the world on hold for 5 or 6 hrs . I'd rather do it alone. At the track I do enjoy the friends I know and meet up with time to time but we all have the same mental capability. Same for the few people I can work and talk with.

Last edited by coppercutlass; April 11th, 2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old April 12th, 2017, 05:35 AM

I have had trouble connecting with car folks in the real world. I've gone to a local cruise a few times this year and the folks I've talked to are friendly enough, but they aren't really "car people." Unfortunately, the OKC Olds Club is inactive.
Old April 12th, 2017, 05:38 AM
Administrator

Maybe the folks here in Texas are not the norm. I've found that most participants in car shows really enjoy talking to people about their or your car.
Old April 12th, 2017, 09:09 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Maybe you are surrounded by wrong people. I live in Daly City, SF Bay Area, there is a major car scene here with shows at least once a month, meets 2-3 times a week almost all year round. I have met a lot of nice people through the hobby and some not so nice, but it's always been a great experience. I love this hobby but I don't live, breathe and s**t classic cars, so every time I feel like talking about them I just go to the meet.
Try getting on Facebook and find some of the local groups or car clubs, usually a lot of info about upcoming shows and meets get posted there.

P.S. I stay away from purists because they tend to be jack@$$e$ that can't respect people's ideas and hard work that went into the car. Just my experience.

Last edited by Olds64; April 17th, 2017 at 06:28 AM. Reason: No cussing please.
Old April 12th, 2017, 10:48 AM

dont beat yourself up, to me..you know who you are and happiness comes from with in...so skrew-em..and worry about yourself..spread love to the ones that deserve it..and enjoy your life.....play with your cars and set goals for personal satisfaction, and not for the approval of others..you will be happier..

Last edited by marxjunk; April 12th, 2017 at 02:48 PM.
Old April 14th, 2017, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
I'm a car guy who hates car people. I can't really work with others and rather work alone. There is only 2 people I can truly work with and talk cars with. Most people at car shows cruise nights are check writers who I can't stand talking to which is why I hate car shows and cruise nights. I got better things to do then sit around on a lawn chair for hours. I'd rather be in the garage working on an engine , trans or getting the car ready for the track. I like the forum community but anyone who has been here long enough knows that is also an area I have issues getting along with people. But that ls a story in its self. For me my car is my way to meditate. I turn the music on and put the world on hold for 5 or 6 hrs . I'd rather do it alone. At the track I do enjoy the friends I know and meet up with time to time but we all have the same mental capability. Same for the few people I can work and talk with.
That's me somewhat lol
Old April 14th, 2017, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by marxjunk
dont beat yourself up, to me..you know who you are and happiness comes from with in...so skrew-em..and worry about yourself..spread love to the ones that deserve it..and enjoy your life.....play with your cars and set goals for personal satisfaction, and not for the approval of others..you will be happier..
x100!!
Old April 14th, 2017, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by 70cutty
Maybe you are surrounded by wrong people. I live in Daly City, SF Bay Area, there is a major car scene here with shows at least once a month, meets 2-3 times a week almost all year round. I have met a lot of nice people through the hobby and some not so nice, but it's always been a great experience. I love this hobby but I don't live, breathe and s**t classic cars, so every time I feel like talking about them I just go to the meet.
Try getting on Facebook and find some of the local groups or car clubs, usually a lot of info about upcoming shows and meets get posted there.

P.S. I stay away from purists because they tend to be jack@$$e$ that can't respect people's ideas and hard work that went into the car. Just my experience.
I think I eat and $h!+ classic cars lol but thanks for your post bro

Last edited by Olds64; April 17th, 2017 at 06:27 AM. Reason: No cussing please.
Old April 14th, 2017, 07:19 PM

Thank you guys for your input. With sites like this I'm good. My rant was last week and I was quickly over it but still true, But I'm good. It's good to see I'm not the only one. I live in South central so I dont like, well more I dont trust people round hear to make new buds. Recently some older man invited me to the local Oldsmobile club so I might go sometime in the future but for now you guys are sufficant enough. I really liked reading all your post. Have a great Easter.
Old April 15th, 2017, 02:28 AM
Administrator

I'd join the local Olds Club. It can be a great resource for info, parts, and moral support.
Old April 15th, 2017, 07:16 AM
Registered Thread Killer

I do have a son with grease and Oldsmobiles in his blood and he's a pleasure to spend time with when we can get together. Beyond him however there are no true car guys around me and I have worked in the automotive industry most of my life. At car events I really put myself out there. For twenty years I've stood in line and tried to show interest in the catalog built Chevies and Mopars and that works for them obviously, but alas, no one reciprocates (maybe they can see through me). It's not my Olds either because I have lots of trophies and do the best burnouts.

My shop has been my "Fortress of Solitude".

I sympathize with you Ronnie.
Old April 15th, 2017, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Maybe the folks here in Texas are not the norm. I've found that most participants in car shows really enjoy talking to people about their or your car.
I found this to be true too. But I always love the guy who had or had a family member who had a car just like mine except, it was a brown Chevy 4 door with a 6 cylinder. That happens so much I'm used to it and me and some friends will make a small friendly wager on how many times with an over under bet.
Old April 15th, 2017, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Or they ask what year Mustang your car is...
Old April 15th, 2017, 03:43 PM

I'm more concerned how non car people treat my cars.

I find most people keep their mitts to themselves at car shows these days.

But some friends and relatives leave a lot to be desired getting in and out of our cars.

Belt buckle left in door jam when they get out and they shut the door and wonder what is stopping it closing, no worries, lets just give that door another almighty swing shut shall we? They do and a dent and paint missing of the door jamb.

They are soon educated on car Etiquette.
Old April 15th, 2017, 03:56 PM

[QUOTE=5998DownUnder . Me I can't stand when some one leans on my car, I cant ever resist saying something, I'll tell my mom if I had too lololol even risking a good ol look and slap to the back of the head.

Mfgusa- thanks for the hope. That was cool.

Oldcutlass your right im a give the Oldsmobile club of America a try, they have an active chapter on my side.

Texxas- how the heck do those people sleep at night.
Old April 22nd, 2017, 02:34 PM

Talking of people touching your car at a show.
I was at a local show in London and went off to get a drink close by, when I returned I found a young kid sitting in the drivers seat with his dad taking a picture, as if this wasn't bad enough the kid also had an ice cream in his hand. This was my cars first trip out after I had spent 4 grand on a new leather interior, needless to say quite an argument broke out and I was close to putting the dad on his ***.

Having an Olds in the UK is great fun as nobody knows what it is, I don't know a huge amount about cars but then again nor do most other people so you can usually blag an answer when someone asks a question.
Old April 22nd, 2017, 04:54 PM

I admire your restraint.
Old April 22nd, 2017, 06:33 PM

Brought my Cutlass to a Boy Scout car so once, and like Vermin in Johnny Dangerously said "Once". Kid asked me if he could sit in the car so I said yes, big mistake. His Scout Master parked himself in the back seat and had all the kids climb in. I know just how you feel.
Old April 22nd, 2017, 11:08 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I would have beat that man with his child.