The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Just a bit pissed,consider this a rant.

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2017, 04:28 PM

Just a bit pissed,consider this a rant.

I'm pretty calloused to the problems renters can think up.I'v been through most of the usual issues, late pay, skip outs, sneaking in 8 people to live in a two room apartment, six doge and four cats and no one lets them out to do their thing, drug trafficking, all in the days work of a land lord. Yesterday a relative of a renter got high on booze or drugs or both Kicked in a front door of his dads unit then went down the line of apartments and broke out every single window he could reach with a iron pipe, eight or nine with some with broken wood frames that are very hard to find anymore. (80 year old rentals). I spent all day with my dad(90 year youngster) putting back together what we could, so far five could be salvaged with new glass and reinforcing on the frames. I'm not sure as yet what to do with the totaled ones or the busted door at this time.

Some people just really **** me off!.... I'm done now....... Tedd
Old April 10th, 2017, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Is the culprit still walking around on his healthy 2 legs? Is there an avenue to recoup your loss that resulted in his stupidity induced carnage? Has he been arrested by the local law enforcement?
Old April 10th, 2017, 05:17 PM

After 45 years of being a landlord, It's like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer. It feels sooooooooooo good when you stop

My world's record for tenant stupidity was a couple that kept putting lounge chairs on the roof to "enjoy the view" After repeatedly notifying them that it was destroying the roof, they said they stopped. Unfortunately, They painted their names on the roof WITH THE DATE [long after they had swore they stopped going out there]

ya can't fix stupid
Old April 10th, 2017, 05:36 PM
Hookers under Hood

I hope you can recoup that Tedd, the insurance should cover it all but the deductible unless they say it it happened at different times.
We had to argue with our insurance company on the deductible's one time in particular, they tried to say it was 4 different occurrences. Meaning the damage occurred on 4 different days and they were going to charge a deductible for each occurrence.
My wife lost it on them, they finally settled on 2 occurrences with a deducible charge X2.
Its aggravating at times, we don't like to take from our valet, but, look at the other benefits, you know what I mean.
I hope you get some better tenants next time around.
All the best Tedd!!
Eric
Old April 10th, 2017, 07:55 PM

No insurance on vandalism, the cost would be higher than the worth of the units. These (we call them cabins) are located in a NOT so favorable part of town. Lucky for me I was late for the party and missed everything but the cleanup if I had of been there during the event I probably would have found myself lodged in the county jail along with the culprit who was caught by the cops and released in less than 24 hours. In fact the derelict POS strolled by as we were fixing up his piece of work, a restraining order is in the works as I type...... Tedd
Old April 11th, 2017, 05:05 AM

Tedd, I feel for you. Stories like that are the reason I never got into real estate. I don't have the head for it. I would have been in jail long go so I totally get your last statement, but my emotions wouldn't have let him walk by. Unfortunately, the days of handling things like that ended with camera phones. How did we get to the point when the "perp" has more rights than the law abiding citizen?
Old April 11th, 2017, 05:24 AM

That's definitely a bummer.

I hope you can get that restraining order.
Old April 11th, 2017, 05:38 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Sorry to hear about that, Tedd.

I've had friends who rented property, and have heard enough horror stories that I don't think I'd ever do it myself.

I know you've thought of moving to Idaho. I gotta say, I've been in Montana temporarily for a few months, and it's darned nice out in this part of the country, so I can't recommend it highly enough. My wife likes it so much that she's trying to get us to buy a ranch out here now, but I think that's still a good ways out in the future...

- Eric
Old April 11th, 2017, 06:59 AM
Randy C.

Hi Tedd,
I know what you mean. I've dealt with rentals for many years now and, unfortunately, that sort of stuff just comes with the turf. When it happens, I just have to remind myself that the rent income makes the payments and pays my bills. Plus, it pays for stuff like this when it happens. Not fun, but that's just the way it is with rentals. thank goodness, we can sooth our nerves by going for a nice day drive in our Oldsmobiles!

Randy C.
Old April 11th, 2017, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Sorry to hear about that, Tedd.

I've had friends who rented property, and have heard enough horror stories that I don't think I'd ever do it myself.

I know you've thought of moving to Idaho. I gotta say, I've been in Montana temporarily for a few months, and it's darned nice out in this part of the country, so I can't recommend it highly enough. My wife likes it so much that she's trying to get us to buy a ranch out here now, but I think that's still a good ways out in the future...

- Eric
Eric I've traveled all over the west and I agree that Montana is nice, it would be my second choice, but man is it cold in the winter. I've tried to hunt elk at -20 and found it not fun. I found that mid to lower Idaho is just about what I experience here in the mountains of northern California but the people are nicer. I understand you are from Main and that those temperatures might not be a factor for you. If given a chance take a look at Idaho it's the forgotten state.... Tedd
Old April 11th, 2017, 07:18 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I've tried to hunt elk at -20 and found it not fun.
That's all well and good for you, Tedd, but how d'you think the elk feel???

- Eric
Old April 11th, 2017, 07:49 AM

They would feel dead if I could have found them..... Tedd
Old April 11th, 2017, 09:06 AM
Olds Fever

Sad to hear Tedd... I was a landlord at one time... Just didn't have the tolerance for stupidity and got out of the business... Renters, especially when they are family, can definitely raise the stress level...
Old April 25th, 2017, 11:34 AM
MOTORHEAD

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
They would feel dead if I could have found them..... Tedd

ELK = TASTY

sorry to read the land lord biz is shittier than usual
are you and your dad going to sell out / retire from that gig??

keep your powder dry
b
Old April 25th, 2017, 01:14 PM

I wish we could file leins on people. Ok, you caused this much damage, you need to pay up. Oh, you're broke? Ok, kidneys go for this, livers go for this, lungs go for this; good news, you'll be able to pay off your debts with all your organ sales and even pay for a few extra hours on the ventilator before we pull the plug.
Old April 25th, 2017, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by 11971four4two
ELK = TASTY

sorry to read the land lord biz is shittier than usual
are you and your dad going to sell out / retire from that gig??

keep your powder dry
b
Evening Brian, And ya that day was shi!!er than most and no I'm in for the duration. They have been in the family from 1936 and my dad would keep them if we didn't make any money at all, me not so much.

Now the rest of the story

. If I get a restraining order against the POS I have to show damages he made..... The county of Butte will charge me $175 to have a building inspector come out and see if there were indeed damages and
have me poney up for a building permit. After replace the broken windows he will also come out and do another inspection to see if they were done to the city/county satisfaction . Keep in mind these buildings are pre world war 2 and they wan't me to repair them as though the buildings were built yesterday...... The out laws and the government win again, that's why again Idaho looks so good... Tedd
Old April 25th, 2017, 06:54 PM

As I stated in another post, Land of the Free??? I understand why building codes exist but that's ridiculous.
Old April 25th, 2017, 09:57 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by zeeke
As I stated in another post, Land of the Free??? I understand why building codes exist but that's ridiculous.
Agreed. That'd never fly in the East.

If the house is old, then repairs of existing parts, without major improvement or change, need to be done to the standards required when the building was built or the original modification was made.

If I've got 2-wire Romex in a 200 year old house, and an outlet goes bad, I can replace it with a 2-wire outlet, but if I want to make an improvement, I can change the whole line and then replace it with a grounded outlet. My option.
If I want to run a whole new line that was never there before, say for a dishwasher, it's got to be to the current code.

If a few bricks fall off my chimney, I can just put them back.
If I install a new furnace, I do not need to do anything to the chimney, so long as the furnace fuel is the same (oil to oil, kero to kero, solid to solid, etc.), but if I install a furnace that burns a new fuel, I've got to get the chimney up to current code (reline, single flues, etc.).

If I am adding an addition to the house, the addition has to be to current code (insulation, windows, outlet spacing, foundation, whatever).
If I am fixing something that's there already, I just have to make it the same as it was.

Sounds like you're going to Idaho.

- Eric
Old April 26th, 2017, 09:02 AM

I would be gone if it wasn't for my 90 year old dad. He has always been there for me now it's my turn, it's the least I can do.... Tedd
Old April 26th, 2017, 09:40 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I hear than. I'm moving several hundred miles to be closer to mine.

- Eric