The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

snow storm panic!!

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2017, 04:25 AM

snow storm panic!!

he we go with one of the biggest snowstorms weve had in a long time.the weather men and media insist on whipping everyone into a frenzy .theyve created a new weather term "bomb genesis"this will surely scare the hell out of people! im all for being prepared and will be out in it plowing til its over .bottom line its a big snowstorm stay home for a day and wait it out
Old March 14th, 2017, 05:11 AM

NE Ohio here. We have 5 to 6 inches, still snowing lightl. Schools are closed so I have to go to "work." Watching my Grandkids. My Daughter, the Lawyer, took them to her workplace so I'll pick them up at 10 am. I guess I'll have to get my Jeep slushed up. I'm hoping the roads are clear by Thursday because I'm headed to S.C. for another Grandson's birthday. Because I'm picking up some wheels & tires I bought from a fellow site member I have to take my truck. It's a 2011 Silverado, I bought it new and I've never drove it in the winter. I'm hoping to keep the streak going.
Old March 14th, 2017, 05:25 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I'm in Montana right now, so missing the fun (almost 60° yesterday!), but I just got a message saying the Blizzard Warning had been changed to a Winter Weather Advisory for 4-8". Meh.

A bit disappointing, really, because there's nothing more fun than watching snow that you don't have to shovel.

At least the supermarket owners will be happy, because they sold out of everything you can eat.

- Eric
Old March 14th, 2017, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
At least the supermarket owners will be happy, because they sold out of everything you can eat.
Maybe the media makes such a big deal out of weather to boost the economy through frenzy sales...

How else will store owners sell the dry lima beans and cans of cream corn?
Old March 14th, 2017, 05:48 AM
Administrator

Growing up in NY and NJ, I remember the weather people and the media doing this every time there was a big storm coming. I can see the point to make people aware and to take the proper precautions, especially the elderly. I do agree that sensationalizing just for ratings is BS.
Old March 14th, 2017, 06:01 AM

Its snowing, windy with sleet. No school, mail, outside running trains, street cleaning and garbage collection is cancelled. Im hungry. Im going to McDonalds.
Old March 14th, 2017, 06:55 AM

When I was stationed at NAS Willow Grove PA. in 68, the weather patterns were exactly the same one week. The Chief weather forecaster came in Thursday morning and wrote on the chalkboard "10 to 16 inches of snow by Monday". Most of the weather people on duty poo-pooed his forecast, but sure enough, Sunday night it started snowing and we had 14 inches before it stopped. Unfortunately, as the weather observer on duty, I was stuck on base until Tuesday.
Old March 14th, 2017, 07:14 AM

Central Nj, all the hype seems like a bust. About 3-4 inches of snow/sleet/ice on the ground, some freezing rain and pretty bright outside. Seems almost over to me, far from the 12 inch plus blizzard they predicted late last night...
Old March 14th, 2017, 07:33 AM
delete

Originally Posted by ELY442
Its snowing, windy with sleet. No school, mail, outside running trains, street cleaning and garbage collection is cancelled. Im hungry. Im going to McDonalds.
I'm on LI. Gusty winds and rain but not much accumulation yet. I went out this AM. A slushy mess & if temps drop later its going to be icecapades but accumulation has really been down graded. Last I saw 3"-6".

Its a conspiracy by the super market inventory.

Last edited by droptopron; March 14th, 2017 at 07:48 AM.
Old March 14th, 2017, 08:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

When I went to bed last night, predictions here in NoVa were still about 12", though the cutoff line for the heavy snow had been slowly trending northwest for the whole day (basically little snow east of I95, heavy snow west where I live). Woke up to find 4-6" and almost nothing new coming down.

Unfortunately, this "Storm Team Central 24 hr coverage" is apparently the new thing in TV news. Whip the public into a frenzy to ensure viewers. Happens every time. Seems like most of this 24 hr coverage involves either a reporter driving around in the snow in an SUV telling you to stay off the roads (SERIOUSLY!?) or shots of some senior reporter sticking a ruler into the snow every ten minutes. Of course, school was cancelled at least four hours before we saw the first snowflake.
Old March 14th, 2017, 08:22 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

... And on the flip side, if I recall correctly, there was a pretty decent summer/fall storm a few years ago whose predictions were wildly overblown, almost apocalyptic, then, shortly after, came Sandy, and one of the reasons why so many people were caught off guard is that they'd just heard the same stuff a short while before, and it turned out to be nothing.

So, not only does the hysterical news "reporting" cause annoyance and inconvenience, it can cause real problems when it leads people to discount all weather reports as melodramatic ratings grabs.

- Eric
Old March 14th, 2017, 08:25 AM

We have about a foot already and it's picking up right now! On the positive side I get to ride my sleds one more time.
Old March 14th, 2017, 08:26 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by mdchanic
so, not only does the hysterical news "reporting" cause annoyance and inconvenience, it can cause real problems when it leads people to discount all weather reports as melodramatic ratings grabs.

- eric
wolf! Wolf!
Old March 14th, 2017, 08:36 AM

Looks like we'll be in the jackpot area 6 or 7 inches on the ground now expected to snow all afternoon and evening . I wonder where that flock of robins went, that I seen yesterday?
Old March 14th, 2017, 09:24 AM

South RI here. Last week we were due 18-30, yesterday was 12-18. Right now I have maybe 2-3 with rain and sleet mixed and high winds. More media hype as far as I'm concerned. Polar Vortex, Thunder Snow and Bomb Genesis? all rolled into one. The Weather Channel is a joke.
Old March 14th, 2017, 09:54 AM

It's been snowing for the last 10,000 years....what's the big deal?

The news people are nuts now, and over sensationalize EVERYTHING.
Old March 14th, 2017, 10:07 AM

"There is more ability to produce news than there is news"

Bert Lance
Former GDOT commissioner
Old March 14th, 2017, 07:25 PM

Doesn't the media do this with every story? They are there to sell not report.
Old March 14th, 2017, 08:56 PM

The weather pattern pushing that cold front to the northeast is also creating a high pressure area over the southwest and causing record high temperatures here. We hit 94 today and we're supposed to hit 97 this weekend. 20 degrees higher than typical this week. Wacky weather for sure.
Old March 14th, 2017, 09:39 PM

Praying for you guys. Be safe and keep your family's safe.
Old March 14th, 2017, 09:41 PM

The media will turn a mosquito into T-rex whenever they can
Old March 14th, 2017, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by RocketRonnie
The media will turn a mosquito into T-rex whenever they can
And that mosquito will cause an epidemic of West Nile or St. Louis encephalitis, too.
Old March 15th, 2017, 05:28 PM

Thought yesterdays snow was a heavy push but 6" of ice proved to be much worse. Parts broken on plow. I'd take 24" of dry snow over 6" of Ice any day.
Old March 15th, 2017, 05:31 PM

I here ya Zeke ! We ended up with about 20 inches but still better than dealing with ice
Old March 16th, 2017, 04:21 AM

I'm in central NY, and I have to say that the meteorologists actually did a decent job of predicting what we acquired. They called for 18-24", and that is pretty much exactly what we got. All the road crews do a great job of keeping up with it, so it really wasn't too bad. The media hype always makes me laugh.

Besides, isn't the first day of spring only four days away? LOL
Old March 16th, 2017, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by damaged442
I'm in central NY, and I have to say that the meteorologists actually did a decent job of predicting what we acquired. They called for 18-24", and that is pretty much exactly what we got. All the road crews do a great job of keeping up with it, so it really wasn't too bad. The media hype always makes me laugh.

Besides, isn't the first day of spring only four days away? LOL

We only got 12-14" in Seneca Falls and that's about what the forecasters said for here too. Yesterday was basically all lake effect crap and the heavy bands were 5 miles to the East so we only picked up about 4" total during the day
Old March 16th, 2017, 09:56 AM

Here in the Poconos (PA) the forecasters got it right, 2 & 1/2 feet of snow with some freezing rain and sleet thrown in for good measure.