The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Windows 7 users beware

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2017, 04:40 PM

Windows 7 users beware

The latest (Spring 2017) issue of Maximum PC magazine had this on page 14. Time to man-up and install Windows 10!

Old March 7th, 2017, 04:50 PM
Administrator

My windows 7 on my laptop crashed. Since I had to restore it back to factory specs, it allowed me to down load Win 10. Took a bit to get the bugs out and Edge sucks. Microsoft just finally came out with a fix to get my Synaptics touchpad to scroll with Windows. I've found that Chrome works better and faster.
Old March 7th, 2017, 07:00 PM

I never use Edge. I rarely used Internet Explorer. I use mostly Firefox and Chrome once in a while when a page doesn't load right in Firefox, which is not often.

The primary, built-in browser on my phone, on the other hand, is Chrome, since it uses the Android operating system created by...Google. I do use my phone's browser often, so I would say I use Firefox and Chrome about equally overall.
Old March 7th, 2017, 08:28 PM

So Win 7 is not secure. I kinda don't care as I don't do anything online that needs to be secure. Plus I have XP on my computer and it works fine for everything I need to do.
Old March 7th, 2017, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I kinda don't care as I don't do anything online that needs to be secure.
That's head-in-the-sand thinking. Simply BEING online is all you need to do to expose yourself to threats. Your anti-virus software is at work 100% of the time, not just those times you're downloading a file. Any time you are using a browser, your computer is exchanging files with the websites you visit. Simply having your computer turned on and connected to the internet, even if you're in the living room watching TV, exposes it to threats. Anti-virus software stops many threats, but many threats are against the operating system itself, seeking to exploit programming vulnerabilities. That's why Microsoft sends out Windows updates about once a week. They're not just updating features and making the interface prettier, they're patching security holes. That's why were on something like version 51 of Firefox at the moment.

Plus I have XP on my computer and it works fine for everything I need to do.
This will make a good epitaph. Windows XP has not had a security update in three years.

Last edited by jaunty75; March 7th, 2017 at 08:41 PM.
Old March 7th, 2017, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
That's head-in-the-sand thinking. Simply BEING online is all you need to do to expose yourself to threats.
Yeah, I know this as I work in a high tech industry. Kinda hard to believe that I work with cutting edge technology but don't "live it", huh?

So what are these "threats" going to do to me? Someone hacks my computer and what does that get them? I don't have any personal, financial, or other critical information on my computer. If something happened, all I would need to do is wipe the drive, reload my OS, and I'm back in business. Stuff as simple as pictures are on multiple external drives.

Last edited by Fun71; March 7th, 2017 at 08:44 PM.
Old March 7th, 2017, 08:43 PM

If something happened, all I would need to do is wipe the drive, reload my OS, and I'm back in business.
Yep, that's all you need to do.
Old March 11th, 2017, 04:15 AM

I was told that Microsoft is trying to push everyone to Windows 10 because they are eventually going to be charging for it on a monthly basis. Better not let out the word that Windows 7 isn't secure, because just about every bank and credit union ATM in the US is running on Windows 7. I have a friend that is in IT, and he works for a very large retail chain, and they are still running Windows 7. Got to go, the sky is falling....