The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

So do you invite a "buyer " from Craigs list to your home?

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2018, 10:41 AM

For a CL cash transaction on something cheap like parts I will meet them at a busy strip shopping center near my house. I've used the same location to show cheaper cars but if they want to buy I take them down the street to my bank. The bank lets me use their conference room to do the paperwork and the cash is immediately deposited. If I was selling an expensive car I would probably use the police station parking lot and I would require payment be via bank wire transfer rather than cash.

I have had the best results on collector car sales through Hemmings, most of which do not involve meeting face to face. If I have gotten to know the buyer and they have prepaid in full then I will meet them at my house.
Old May 21st, 2018, 06:15 AM

Use a google phone number tied my mobile phone. When someone calls it rings thru and you have option to answer or send to voicemail. Keeps your cell phone number off the internet.
Old May 21st, 2018, 04:20 PM

I've done deals at my shop for the past 9 years. Plenty of cameras and the police station is a half mile down the road. For any immediate needs, there are a few bats stashed around although I've yet to have to use one.

Shadiest deal I had was delivering a car to crappy area after midnight. Met a fairly large woman and an obvious crackhead at a well lit gas station and there were 3 squad cars sitting across the street in a parking lot so I felt safe enough. Then we went on a test drive (my buddy was in his truck following) and next thing I knew she was flooring it through a bunch of residential streets, then through an industrial area and ended up miles away, losing my buddy along the way. I kept my back to the window to keep an eye on both of them and a hand on my pocket knife. Eventually I got an address out of her on where we were "meeting her sister" and got it to my buddy. The sister showed up and dug a wad of bills out of her cleavage and I did a quick count and we took off.

We got halfway home and stopped at a gas station and I counted it again to confirm my suspicion. In their haste to get back to whatever it was they were doing, they overpaid by $100. Not sure if it was worth the nerve wracking experience though.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 07:29 AM

The police here offer the same thing, safe place to do business. We had a run of bikes being stolen when the buyer would ask to take it for a ride. After driving by his car parked a couple of drive ways away a driver would sit up and drive away. The police caught on quick and they tried a spike belt to stop the car and the officer was hit and killed. They found the bike in a field with a dead driver as he lost control and went through a fence.
When I answered an add for a 78 vette the owner took me for a ride around town and would not let me drive until we went past my place and I offered him a chance to check it out. His demeanor changed and I added a few conditions to a deal.
I don't let anyone who I haven't met into my domain and my bay doors stay closed for passer's by. I would use the safe place if I ever get around to selling parts.
Steve
Old May 28th, 2018, 09:41 AM

I always meet people at a mutual location. Never like letting random people know where I live. To each their own.
Old May 30th, 2018, 01:24 PM

I would never let them come to the home, I have always arranged meetings at shopping center parking lots. if it's an item like a couch or something u can't take with you away from the home, I would at least move it to the garage.