The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Light House I have seen.

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2009, 11:54 AM

Light House I have seen.

Rob,

The "Look What I found under the seat" was becoming a southern coastal travelog.So I thought I'd start another thread.

Here's the 205' built in 1870 at Cape Hatteras. N.C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
hatteras.jpg (19.0 KB, 12 views)
Old March 10th, 2009, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Rob,
The "Look What I found under the seat" was becoming a southern coastal travelog.So I thought I'd start another thread.
Here's the 205' built in 1870 at Cape Hatteras. N.C.
Hey - but I found a lot of the southern coast under my seat!
This was the lighhouse they MOVED! You have a "before" picture there...
http://www.labs.net/anaiselise/lhse/lhse.htm
A truely remarkable engineering feat if you ask me.
Look here for its 135 feet per day top speed!
http://www.labs.net/anaiselise/lhse/mov.htm

This light is on my "to see" list, when I get out to there. I plan to see Charleston on up to Boston in one trip some day. I am hoping to do Boston To Canada this fall.

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; March 10th, 2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old March 10th, 2009, 12:32 PM

I'll add a few here's Cape hatteras in the new spot, Ocracoke Island, and Bodie Island...note the date stamp three in the same day
Attached Images
1002044_itA_143_edited.jpg (29.9 KB, 8 views)
Old March 10th, 2009, 12:42 PM

Eric,

Now you're making me hungry for a fried softshell crab sandwich from Ocracoke Island.

I can't remember,Isn't there another one way up north [Outer Banks] up at Duck?

Rob,
That Fancy Smancy place at Hilton Head is Harbor Town and it's a traffic mess with circles etc. But it does have a great Pete Dye Golf course.
Old March 10th, 2009, 12:58 PM

Hey Jamesbo I'm pretty sure there's one more up past Kitty Hawk somewhere, speaking of food on Ocracoke I think the place is called the jolly rodger, the BEST hush puppies ever, we got a big basket of them and were stuffed before our food came out, must have eaten a dozen myself.
Old March 10th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Registered

My older bro' lived in Kitty Hawk, the fresh caught shark was excellent, went to a few local seafood all you can eat places and pigged out. The Grave Digger monster truck headquarters was right down the road. I was up in the lighthouse on Bodie Island. I noticed the Fresnel lens they used to magnify the light was much like those used in the GM dash-mounted automatic dimmer unit sensor devices.
Old March 10th, 2009, 04:49 PM

Ilwaco, WA one of 24 on the coast of Washington. My wife fell in love with shrimp & Grits in Charleston

Last edited by citcapp; March 10th, 2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old March 10th, 2009, 05:52 PM

North Head Light

Originally Posted by citcapp
Ilwaco, WA one of 24 on the coast of Washington.

That is North Head Light, the second windiest place in the US...
I was there, twice. Wind was only 75mph when I was there - you had to walk crouched down to keep from blowing over.
Tops speed ever recorded there was 126mph, but that was when the speed sensor was blown away...
The wind sound over the tower when inside was very objectionable, even at 75mph. Long ago, one keeper's wife jumped off the cliff and died on the rocks below to rid herself of a weeks worth of 100+ miles per hour noise...

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; March 10th, 2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old March 10th, 2009, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I was up in the lighthouse on Bodie Island. I noticed the Fresnel lens they used to magnify the light was much like those used in the GM dash-mounted automatic dimmer unit sensor devices.
Did the GM sensor look like this inside??
I got this shot from the inside of Umpqua River Light's 1st order lens when in Oregon last fall... It is a true sight to see... Since it revolves slowly, you get an optical illusion that you are turning inside of it. Granted, some people can get dizzy when watching from the inside... Try going down over 100 steps then!
This is Oregon's only 1st order Fresnel lens that has red panels.
Attached Images
umpquariverlens.jpg (106.7 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; March 10th, 2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old March 11th, 2009, 04:36 AM

Here's some more Gawga Lighthouses Sapelo Island, and Cockspur Island. [Left to Right]

Citcapp,

Tell your wife to try some grits mixed with some graded Boar's Head Canadian Cheese and minced sausage for Breakfast. Yummy
Attached Images
SapeloGA.jpg (28.8 KB, 3 views)
CockspurIslandGA.jpg (25.9 KB, 3 views)
Old March 11th, 2009, 05:37 AM

The one north of Kitty Hawk is Corolla. Sorry I don't have a pic. I have climbed that one and Hatteras (before the move)though. Helps that I live close by.
Old March 11th, 2009, 05:51 AM

Rob,
That Fancy Smancy place at Hilton Head is Harbor Town and it's a traffic mess with circles etc. But it does have a great Pete Dye Golf course.
The golf course we snuck into was Palmetto Dunes, part of Sea Pines. I just wanted to see Hilton Head rear range lighthouse (picture 1, upper left). After that I went to Harbour Town on my own, and climbed to the top of its little fake lighthouse (picture 1, upper right). I got a swell view for sure. I walked around afterwards and found a nice little boat I wanted to buy (picture 1, lower left)! The Harborside Cafe would have been nice to eat at (picture 1, lower right), but I was so out of time...
The circular mess really had me irritated, as I could not navigate well and wasted alot tof time backtracking. I should have set up my compass then and not the next day.

Next day I saw Tybee Island Light, (picture 2, upper left). This shot was of the whole complex taken from Battery Garland across the street. It was a long sweaty climb to the top of that tower... When I was at Battery Garland, I witnessed in person a very COOL pirate scene!! (picture 2, lower left).
Afterward I went to Fort Puloski and hiked out a ways to see Cockspur Island light at high tide, which had the tower in the water... (picture 2, upper right). I did not feel like swimming with the 'gators...
Lastly I drove through the rain all the way to Hunting Island Light (picture 2, lower right). I climbed to the top of this one, too. Notice that the "top section" seems to just "float" in the air!

A very fast but memorable trip. If I was not int he middle of a job transition, i would have stayed there longer. I just need to go back some time...
Attached Images
sc1.jpg (105.1 KB, 4 views)
sc2.jpg (70.2 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; March 11th, 2009 at 05:55 AM.
Old March 11th, 2009, 05:57 AM

I won't have much to add here because the only lighthouse I ever saw was just north of Duluth on Lake Supieror. They're rare in the midwest.
Old March 11th, 2009, 06:03 AM

Gottcha

I forgot about Sea Pines. You really were in High Cotton.

We really do need to meet sometime. I vote for Devils Courthouse on the Blue Ridge pky. in N.C.
Attached Images
devilpano2.jpg (63.2 KB, 7 views)
Old March 11th, 2009, 06:14 AM

I forgot about Sea Pines. You really were in High Cotton.
But their security guards were not the sharpest tools in the shed...

I vote for Devils Courthouse on the Blue Ridge pky. in N.C.
I was there too! I got a picture of that with my car in the foreground...
Here is my favorite shot from the BR Pkwy.:

We really do need to meet sometime.
Yes we do... I look forward to some of that tasty cookin' you do! BTW, do you know where Covington, GA is? That is where Lady's previous owner live(s/ed)...
Old March 11th, 2009, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by MN71W30
They're rare in the midwest.
Why does this not shock me?

"Rare" how about non existent.
Old March 11th, 2009, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
But their security guards were not the sharpest tools in the shed...

I was there too! I got a picture of that with my car in the foreground...
Here is my favorite shot from the BR Pkwy.:

BTW, do you know where Covington, GA is? That is where Lady's previous owner live(s/ed)...
Yes, I went to school in Newton County. [Emory] It's about 35 miles east of Atlanta on I-20. It's also where they film "In the Heat of the Night" That's Covington's court house [Newton County] and town square you viewing on the tube.

It's right next to Rockdale County where I saw the drag racing accident at Yellow River Drag strip when I was in School out there in the late 60's.

At Devils Courthouse, If you were to get out of your car and walk down the hill behind it. You would reach Counthouse creek. If you follow it down the valley eventually you would come to Courthouse falls which is the most beautiful place I have ever seen [and one of the most remote hidden] Then you would say. "How in the heck do I get out of this valley and back up this mountain."
Old March 11th, 2009, 07:04 AM

At Devils Courthouse, If you were to get out of your car and walk down the hill behind it. You would reach Counthouse creek. If you follow it down the valley eventually you would come to Courthouse falls which is the most beautiful place I have ever seen [and one of the most remote hidden] Then you would say. "How in the heck do I get out of this valley and back up this mountain."
Sounds like a good hike for my next visit! I wish I did not have to go so fast when I was there...
I really want to drive the whole Blue Ridge Parkway to its northeast end, turn around and come right back the other way... About 800 miles or so?? It would be worth it...
There are so many little things to see, like old sawmils, waterwheels, abandoned farms, and lots to scenery. Hmmmm..... I live for beautiful natural scenery and the old historic stuff. Should I go there this fall instead of Maine? I would not have A/C in the car then, but I shouldn't need it up there on the Parkway...
Here is my favorite picture from the Smoky Mountains...

Cruising that area with the top down was so much fun...

Old March 11th, 2009, 07:23 AM

I' sure you're aware, the Blue Ridge Pky goes south before it goes north. The only part I don't like is around Cherokee before it turn north. Too Touristie. I had a cousin in D.C. and I would drive up an catch the southern most end near Waynesville and drive all the way to the end. Then catch the Va Shendoah Pky. So, I can get ya as far as D.C. But your own your own to Maine.

Wait,cross over to Maryland Eastern shore and eat some Blue crabs and go up that way.

I love the Smokies, When I was young I used to hike the AT [Appalacian Trail] a good bit. The open front shelters on the trail sections in the Smokies have a chain length gates to lock you in [and the Bears out]
Attached Files
File Type: wmv
Bear_dance.wmv (723.5 KB, 6 views)
Old March 11th, 2009, 07:41 AM

I' sure you're aware, the Blue Ridge Pky goes south before it goes north. The only part I don't like is around Cherokee before it turn north. Too Touristie. I had a cousin in D.C. and I would drive up an catch the southern most end near Waynesville and drive all the way to the end. Then catch the Va Shendoah Pky. So, I can get ya as far as D.C. But your own your own to Maine.
Wait,cross over to Maryland Eastern shore and eat some Blue crabs and go up that way.
Right. I got on the Parkaway near Ashville and went to the end at the Smoky Mountains. I would cruise right though the tourist traps and will not go during any peak seasons. Meeting up with someone along the way would be fun. However, I do not plan to hit Maine on the same trip, unless I get laid off from work and have plenty of time to travel...
I DO look forward to the NE seafood! Whenever I visit the NW coast, I am on a seafood diet almost the whole trip!!

I love the Smokies, When I was young I used to hike the AT [Appalacian Trail] a good bit. The open front shelters on the trail sections in the Smokies have a chain length gates to lock you in [and the Bears out]
BTW, who clears and maintains that 2000+ mile trail??
I would be afraid that the bears would end up being chained in with me...
Here I am at a Smoky Mountain stream in "bear territory"... Warning signs were posted all over.
I saw none... However, I was having such a good time in that area that it would have taken a sandblaster to take the grin off my face! (Or maybe a bear...)
The sunburn never even hurt there...
Love that video...
Attached Images
IMG_2344.jpg (99.4 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; March 11th, 2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old March 11th, 2009, 08:22 AM

The AT is maintained and cleared by Volunteers in the states it passes thru.Who BTW are in much better shape than moi. Hiking up the trail with grub axes doesn't sound like alot of fun to me. But I admire their efforts.

Now my cravings for a repast have changed from Fried Softshell Crab Sandwich from Ocaracoke Island to Blue crab fingers in Maryland's eastern shore to a Lobster Roll from Maine.

If you want a guaranteed bear sighting, there are two sure things. Cades Cove on "The quiet side of The smokies" or the loud side of the Smokies in God awful Gatlinburg. Every picnic area has bears who grew up on Balogna sandwiches and hot dogs. They're a pest.

Speaking of tacky travel. There is one place that is so bad it's laughable. It's on I-95 and is called South of the Boarder and it's near Dillon S.C.

It is without a doubt the worst of worst of no reason to be there places I've ever seen and it is packed with people [most of whom remind me of Chevy Chase [Clark] cousin Eddie in the movie Vegas Vacation] It you like t-shirt shops, cottom candy, screaming kids, and couples wearing matchng outfits, you'll love it.
Old March 11th, 2009, 08:34 AM

If you want a guaranteed bear sighting, there are two sure things. Cades Cove on "The quiet side of The smokies" or the loud side of the Smokies in God awful Gatlinburg.
Speaking of tacky travel. There is one place that is so bad it's laughable. It's on I-95 and is called South of the Boarder and it's near Dillon S.C.
It is without a doubt the worst of worst of no reason to be there places I've ever seen and it is packed with people [most of whom remind me of Chevy Chase [Clark] cousin Eddie in the movie Vegas Vacation] It you like t-shirt shops, cottom candy, screaming kids, and couples wearing matchng outfits, you'll love it.
Cades cove was on my "to see" list when i was there, but I ran out of time and there were no hotel rooms anywhere within 80 miles of the park (it was Memorial day weekend )
SO, I will be on the bear-watch there next time. No more Gatlinburg for me, or any other of those goofy tourist places. No summer or holiday weekend travel, either. Give me the quiet wide open spaces away from the crowd and I am happy. (I met only one woman who thought that way... The rest HAD to be in the biggest crowds... )
Interested in meeting up on the Parkway some time? Or maybe on the way to a far-south-east lighthouse tour I would like to do... The later will be done in November or some time that is cooler.

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; March 11th, 2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old March 11th, 2009, 09:12 AM

Give me the quiet wide open spaces away from the crowd and I am happy. (I met only one woman who thought that way... The rest HAD to be in the biggest crowds... )
Been there done that and along with the t-shirt, I've got finalized divorce papers.

I had a "take me, buy me give me" wife who, while we were sitting on a Delta Jet on the taxi way said to me.
"
You know where I'd like to go someday?"

I said, " I hope Bermuda, cause this is where this plane is headed to."
Old March 11th, 2009, 10:00 AM

I had a "take me, buy me give me" wife who, while we were sitting on a Delta Jet on the taxi way said to me."You know where I'd like to go someday?"
I said, " I hope Bermuda, cause this is where this plane is headed to."
Glad you have your freedom back...
Old March 14th, 2009, 08:26 AM

I vote for Devils Courthouse on the Blue Ridge pky. in N.C.
Here is a more sinister looking view I shot of Devil's Courthouse... The clouds and fog make it even spookier...
Attached Images
IMG_2194.jpg (60.2 KB, 7 views)
Old March 14th, 2009, 11:30 AM

Here are a few shots from my neck of the woods....

Pyramid Mountain (1990)

442in1991.jpg

Valley of the Ten Peaks (Morraine Lake)
canadian_rockies_csg037_moraine_lak.jpg

Canoeing on Lake Louise
canadian_rockies_csg041_canoe_on_mo.jpg

Lake Louise
canadian_rockies_csg036_canoes_on_l.jpg
Old March 14th, 2009, 12:20 PM

Why does this not shock me?

"Rare" how about non existent.
If you live in the great lakes region there are a few to be found
Old March 14th, 2009, 12:22 PM

Hey Ken Does that water ever get warm enough for a human to swim in it?
Old March 14th, 2009, 01:59 PM

And everybody I met wants to got to Stinky-Mexico.
Old March 14th, 2009, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by hamm36
And everybody I met wants to got to Stinky-Mexico.
...including 90% of all women I have met... Close and cheap I guess... Now while there are a few good scenic areas around all those islands, they are getting harder and harder to find. All the good areas have been spoiled by commercialization and tourism. It is getting dangerous around there, too.

Give me beautiful, unspoiled, wide open natural scenery any day!

Ken - those pics from the Rockies were wonderful - I sent them to my mom, who will be going there late this summer... (Yep, I am jealous...)
Old March 14th, 2009, 03:39 PM

travel trivia

Anyone know where this is and where it was taken??

Same locations in the second picture but this is my own shot of a movie scene. Can anyone identify what movie??
Attached Images
509636-R1-24A.jpg (33.2 KB, 8 views)
509646-R1-07A.jpg (64.3 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; March 14th, 2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old March 15th, 2009, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by csstrux
Hey Ken Does that water ever get warm enough for a human to swim in it?
When I lived in Jasper, AB. (National Park), there were (still are) a couple of lakes we used to swim in that were glasier fed, but the days were so hot (36C) that it didn't matter. The water is crystal clear. What I liked, was that when you went fishing, from shore you could see the fish coming for the bait. We just did catch and release but it was nice.

There is no beach at Lake Louise but Pyrimid Lake has one. That's my 442 in the top picture taken in 1990. It is the only lake in Jasper National Park that allows mechanically powered boats.
Old March 15th, 2009, 12:25 PM

...Ken - those pics from the Rockies were wonderful - I sent them to my mom, who will be going there late this summer... (Yep, I am jealous...)
Rob, tell you're mom to enjoy herself, but there are precatuions to watch for. Depending on when she goes, the Elk will walk through town without fear. At night they sleep in school yards, parking lots etc. because they know that the wolves are too shy to come into town.

Park rangers will fine people they catch feeding the animals because after a while the animals seem to expect it and if they don't get it they become aggressive. If they attack people the rangers will either fly them farther up north into the wilderness or destroy them.

Most people who enter the park will receive a phamplet that they should at least look over. I don't want to scare your mom as animal attacks are rare, but she should at least be aware. In most countries around the world you have to worry about people attacking you, here it's the wild animals.

The park rangers take the "nature thing" very seriously. A friend in Jasper called them one night and asked for the rangers to come to her house and save a deer that was cornered in her yard by some coyotes. The ranger refused and said "Let me know if the deer is killed. If he is, I'll send someone by in the morning and move the carcas to a remote location."

She wanted the rangers to save the cute little deer. The ranger basically told her that cute little coyote pups will starve if he interferes. Let nature work it out he said.

Your mom should have a great time. According to the predictions, it should be a hot summer ( upper 30's). Remember to tell her that Canada goes by the metric system. 110 on the highway signs is in Km/h (kilometers per hour) and is actually 68 miles per hour. If they tell her that the next day will be 35 degrees remember that body temperature is 37 Celcius. Water freezes at 0 and boils at 100. In the mountains she'll need a sweater or light jacket at night as it will cool down significantly.

There are 8,000 people that live in the Alberta National Parks and they get about 4 million visitors per year. She'll have to make a winter visit one year. That's when you can walk on the rivers and climb the frozen water falls.

Sorry to the other members for this being so long, I should've PM'd Rob

Last edited by 442much; March 15th, 2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old March 15th, 2009, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by 442much
Rob, tell you're mom to enjoy herself, but there are precatuions to watch for. ... I should've PM'd Rob
I do not need to tell her to enjoy herself, as i KNOW she will! Heck, she has shot more pictures of big animals than i have, and I have travelled a LOT more than her... I have not even seen a bear yet in the wild - she got several pics of a mom and her cubs through a bus window last year in Denali... I need to go visit JAmesbo to get my bear pictures...
I got her into the travel bug years ago. She was scared to go on an AK cruise alone, but after that, she was hooked. She is one of the few who respects nature as much as the park rangers. She travels well alone now and loves it. She has been to many places up north - Alaska twice, all over WA state, Montana, and soon the Rockies. She will not visit up north in the winter months (yet?) but she will be doing a train trip in the Rockies this late summer.

My mom hates the cold, unlike me... I went to Finland 3 years ago for snow sports and tried to convince her to go when i got back.
She says she does not like the ideas of the the bars freezing over, having to wearing big funny-looking orange suits just to go swimming, and not being able to walk across a river without almost getting hit by a runaway icebreaker ship...
I enjoyed those, along with snowmobiling, ice fishing, dog sledding, reindeer sleigh riding, and much more. I hope to return there soon, despite temps down to -30!

You are lucky to live near the Rockies - so beautiful...
Feel free to post all you want here - it is just a travel thread in the clubhouse!
Attached Images
snowcastle.jpg (67.5 KB, 5 views)
0004589-R1-070-33A.jpg (121.4 KB, 5 views)
0004576-R1-016-6A.jpg (34.4 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; March 15th, 2009 at 03:59 PM.