The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Fire wood

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2016, 11:13 AM

Fire wood

Going for the record. Bugs are killing all the ash. I'm cutting the dead and almost dead first. Its literally in my backyard. I haven't began to touch it. This pile will last probably almost 3 years.,
ATTACH]141292[/ATTACH]

20160921_133545.jpg
Railguy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20160921_133604.jpg (3.73 MB, 46 views)
Old September 21st, 2016, 11:34 AM

Yes a big problem here on the east coast. I actually work at a building, NJ Agricultural, where they raise beneficial insects to attack harmful plant pests. It is important that the wood stays put and is not transported as this helps spread the insects to other locations. That is a nice pile of wood! Its the Emerald Ash Borer that is doing this.
Old September 21st, 2016, 01:00 PM
Administrator

That pile would last a lifetime here in Texas... When I was growing up in NJ, the Gypsy Moth was killing all the trees. Here in Texas we have Oak Wilt.
Old September 21st, 2016, 01:01 PM

Here is a local papers article on the "Watch your Ash" problem.
http://www.timescall.com/longmont-lo...er-county-pubs
Old September 21st, 2016, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Yes a big problem here on the east coast. I actually work at a building, NJ Agricultural, where they raise beneficial insects to attack harmful plant pests. It is important that the wood stays put and is not transported as this helps spread the insects to other locations. That is a nice pile of wood! Its the Emerald Ash Borer that is doing this.
I thought it was the emerald beatle. Send me some of beneficial insects the kill them.
Railguy
Old September 21st, 2016, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Originally Posted by oldcutlass
That pile would last a lifetime here in Texas... When I was growing up in NJ, the Gypsy Moth was killing all the trees. Here in Texas we have Oak Wilt.
Gypsy moths are still here just not as bad. I remember when they were really bad. If you were in the woods you could hear the crap hit the leaves over your head. No joke it was that bad and it wasn't that hard to hear. All they do is eat and the crap comes out as fast as the leaves go in.
Railguy
Old September 22nd, 2016, 03:08 AM
4 Barrels of Laughs

emerald ash borer, woolly agelid, stink bug, we are under attack from china. just in a different way.
Old September 22nd, 2016, 08:06 AM

We have the stink bugs here in Indiana. Last year they were worse than this year. I don't know how they get in the house but they find a way. We also have the ash borer, lots of trees have been taken by them. I think there is some kind of preventative now or slightly effective treatment??? I don't have any ash trees so I have not checked into it much.
Old September 22nd, 2016, 01:17 PM

Half the trees in the woods behind my house are ash. It's very wet so most trees don't grow to tall. Because its s o wet the root don't go deep the wind blows the over as soon as they get high enough. Or they rout off. The ash are probably about 90%of the bigger trees. They seem to do better in the wet. I think it about 100% as far as being effected buy the borer. Doesn't look like they'll be any ash in a few years. Se Also Have Lady dugs. And more and more ticks.
Railguy
Old September 22nd, 2016, 05:13 PM

the first time i went to Cali..i expected to see the great out doors...we went into the mountains to go trout fishing in a huge man made lake and it was terrible..they had some kind of tree blight and it looked like a nuclear blast went thru..everything was dead till we got to high elevation...was really weird
Old September 23rd, 2016, 06:49 AM
morgan

Originally Posted by Railguy
Going for the record. Bugs are killing all the ash. I'm cutting the dead and almost dead first. Its literally in my backyard. I haven't began to touch it. This pile will last probably almost 3 years.,
ATTACH]141292[/ATTACH]

Attachment 141293
Railguy
wow I'm impressed that is a great looking almost pyramid of wood, that's a lot of hard work right there

Last edited by pogo69; September 23rd, 2016 at 06:51 AM.
Old September 23rd, 2016, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by pogo69
wow I'm impressed that is a great looking almost pyramid of wood, that's a lot of hard work right there
Hmm id say theres wood for max 2 years at my usage. Prolly just a tad over year.
Old September 23rd, 2016, 12:55 PM
Olds Wagonmaster

I'll take a cord!

Damn, and I thought my 3 rows of chest high 10ft base triangle stacks of pine was impressive!

I do split all mine by HAND, though! Good cardio.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20151213_111803467.jpg (2.63 MB, 14 views)
Old September 23rd, 2016, 05:42 PM

Here in East Cupcake (Long Island, NY) the long horn is decimating all the trees. In the Adirondack (North East, NY) mountains something is decimating the pines. Pine makes decent camp fire wood but thats about it. Planted a couple of Oaks with hope they will survive when the pines are gone. Might be to acidic for them though. The squirrels hide thousands of acorns all over my lawn so they grow like weeds. I try to dig them out when they are small and transplant them. On the flip side I could just leave them there for 30 years and cut them down for fire wood, but I'm thinking I might not be as energetic in my late 70's.

Oldsmaniac, have they come up with a counter plan for the long horn yet? BTW my wife wants to know if that's a 442, I've got her hooked & she likes the imoggie on the front (sorry barley know the word so I defiantly can't spell it).