The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

ATV for Plowing Snow?

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2016, 06:51 PM

ATV for Plowing Snow?

Well, it was 88*, felt like 97*, so I guess it's time to think about moving snow here in Michigan. Buying a new house and it has quite a long driveway. Do any of you use an ATV with a plow blade on it for snow? If so, how well does it work? Interested in hearing pros and cons.

Thanks,
Old September 6th, 2016, 07:29 PM
4 Barrels of Laughs

I used to. AND, I used a 1991 honda trx250X and then later a 1993 TRX300EX (same frame, used the same blade)

when I lived in Danbury Ct I even had the plow contract for a couple apt buildings. 2wd, had chains. it did fine.

in 1993 it pushed the 36 fresh inches of snow out of my folks place in central PA. yea, it took a weekend, but it did it.

The plows used to come from country-wide, country-time - something like that? cycle country? yeah thats it.

the rig was 600lbs with rider so you are limited on the snow you can push by that. some of these 800lb behemoths with rider top 1000lbs so they can do more...
Old September 6th, 2016, 09:12 PM
72 Olds CS

ive used just about everything for snow, stick plows, snowblowers, lawn tractor, ATV, 8n, 9n , 2n, nothing beats a truck w a plow, tractors come in second, then snowblowers, then lawntractors and ATVs then stick plows IMO
Old September 7th, 2016, 04:01 PM

I use a 4wd Honda 500 atv with a snow plow to plow my driveway and road every winter. The drive and road are gravel and the plow works great. Its also a blast to plow with an atv.
Old September 7th, 2016, 04:10 PM

I was thinking it would be easier to store an ATV than a truck. It sounds like they do a good job of moving the snow.

I easily add 250 lbs to the weight of the machine
Old September 7th, 2016, 05:24 PM

my neighbor uses an atv with a blade,he s used it for a long time. i use my terramite loader,because the grandkids like the big piles of snow
Old September 7th, 2016, 08:01 PM

i use a bobcat skidloader on my driveway.although if i could find a smokin deal on a blade for my honda rubicon i would give it a try.gotta be a little quicker then the 3 mph bobcat
Old September 7th, 2016, 10:56 PM
70' W-30 Convertible

I used a Honda Rancher 350 4wd with chains on the back for several years in VT. Worked well up until the snow was about a foot deep, after that there are probably better options like a 4wd truck.
Old September 8th, 2016, 05:10 AM

For most driveways they work great. I would say that some 4 wheelers are easier to put into reverse than others. I would pick one that is easy to shift to reverse and is a 4X4. Most all of them have a rev limiter in reverse and most brands there is a work around for that. Some brands have the rev limiter high enough that it will not affect you plowing snow. 442 is right though. If the snow is a foot deep it can still be done but take more time.
Old September 8th, 2016, 06:14 AM

I'd just get a cheap truck with plow. There is a lot to be said for having heat, and being out of the elements. I've done snow removal just about every way, and for driveways nothing beats my little 93 v6 5speed dakota with a meyers.
If you already have a truck, just add the plow, its not a big deal doing a driveway or 2, the damage from plowing is salt and abuse from doing continuous 24 hours of pushing snow.
Old September 8th, 2016, 07:41 AM

Depends a lot on what kind of snow you have, not all snow is equal.If you have the Sierra cement like I do most ATV's are to light for anything over 4 inches. On the other hand I have a place in the high desert and a foot of snow weighs nothing. It all about water content..... Tedd
Old September 8th, 2016, 07:53 AM
morgan

as far as i'm concerned snow blowers and snow plows are the 2 best inventions of mankind
Old September 8th, 2016, 10:16 AM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Depends a lot on what kind of snow you have, not all snow is equal.If you have the Sierra cement like I do most ATV's are to light for anything over 4 inches. On the other hand I have a place in the high desert and a foot of snow weighs nothing. It all about water content..... Tedd
This is really an important point, 6" of heavy wet snow can be tough w most tools, 12" of fluff is easy w most tools! Also the size and grade of the driveway. My neighbor uses an ATV w a small driveway and downhill he is successful most times as long as he stays ahead of it(plows whiles it's snowing) I use a truck and plow every 6-8" unless it's really light stuff or I'm not available. I have a longer driveway w a slight downhill grade.
Old September 8th, 2016, 12:02 PM

i would guess you get alot of snow in michigan make sure you push your snow way back in the begining. the banks close in on you fast when you get hit with multiple storms.once the banks are high and frozen it can be a challenge moving them with an atv.
Old September 8th, 2016, 12:54 PM
same but different

Originally Posted by pogo69
as far as i'm concerned snow blowers and snow plows are the 2 best inventions of mankind
LIKE! that is right up there on my list too, with beer and bbq.
Old September 8th, 2016, 02:22 PM

A truck is not really an option as there is no spot to store it. 40' x 45' pad and then a 130' single car drive with a slight uphill grade. My current snow removal device (at my current house; the long driveway is at the house we are moving to in a couple of weeks) is a medium size Craftsman snow blower. I know for a fact it is not going to cut the mustard at the new place (and I do love me some cut mustard!). So one option is to get a monster snow blower, but all that does is blow snow. I figure if the ATV will handle snow work, I can also use it to run the trash to the end of the driveway (and other necessary "work").

Snow amounts are tough to predict in S.E. Michigan. On the west side of the state they get dumped on fairly regularly. We occasionally see 10" at one time, but not very often. Usually it's less than 6".
Old September 8th, 2016, 04:16 PM
Lansing built

Ok, still don't know all your parameters yet. How big of yard any landscape projects, and mowing.

If you need to do all of the above and move snow, how's about a subcompact tractor with loader, mower and blade. They last for decades with care.

Pat
Old September 8th, 2016, 05:01 PM

Small grass area, thinking of getting a reel mower for it. Landscaping is all done. Won't be making many changes, certainly no major ones. The biggest yard maintenance issue will be the black walnut trees...

Wow, just looked at the smallest John Deere compact tractors...for those prices I could buy a new Chevy Cruze and fit my old Cruze with a plow

I do like the thought of the scoop, but I can't get around the price.
Old September 12th, 2016, 09:21 PM

I've plowed snow for many years and nothing beats a truck, except for a pay loader. My Dad had an 88' Honda Foreman with a blade and anything over 8" - 10'' was a problem depending on how wet it was. Blade would constantly fold down and machine would slide and slip. He lived in Brewster, NY. Eventually the motor went & he bought a Polaris side by side. I found that to be a close second to the truck. I could stack snow with it and clear everything out in no time at all.
Old September 13th, 2016, 11:28 AM
4 Barrels of Laughs

Originally Posted by zeeke
and nothing beats a truck, except for a pay loader.
or a 2 ton TLB with an enclosed cab, 4x4 and a big blade on back

My Dad had an 88' Honda Foreman with a blade and anything over 8" - 10'' was a problem depending on how wet it was. Blade would constantly fold down and machine would slide and slip. He lived in Brewster, NY.
surely your dad and I chewed the same ground, I did 99% of my ATV plowing when I lived in Danbury...