The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2016, 08:46 PM
Senior Moment Member

Oil Change

Who else has experienced this kind of garbage?
I went to my local Valvoline oil n go to get my oil changed because I am down to no garage basically, and no tools. The kid comes out and asks, "Can I help you?" Duh! You're an oil change shop. I say yeah, I need the oil changed on my car. He says well the guy who could enter your car in the computer isn't here and we don't have your weight oil and we don't have your filter either. I didn't expect them to have the filter but I DID expect them to have 20/50.

So, I go get the filter in a nearby town because the auto parts store near me pulls out a filter that looks like it's for an LS1. I said, "That's the wrong filter." (way small) He says, "No, That's the right one. It shows that it's the right one." I thought, "This guy has a bad attitude and even less knowledge about cars in general than a stone." I didn't buy it. Went and found the correct filter at a shop in the neighboring town. I'm about a block from the parts store and I see an old school garage. I look in as I pass and a man is in there and sees my car as I pass. I think, "There's the guy I need!" An old schooler who won't strip my oil pan, etc.

I went back to him and asked if he had time to change my oil. He says yes. So we shoot the breeze while he changes my oil and filter that I brought. Charges me 15 bucks. Had a great conversation with the guy. I'll be back in the spring I tell him. He understood that I needed 5 1/2 quarts of oil added, 1 quart of Lucas, A half quart of an additive I use, and a 5 ounce bottle of zinc additive (7 Quart Milodon Pan). Totally got it. Immediately. The oil n go guys would have been lost. I had a great day. Thanks to Dan's Automotive in Lockport Illinois.

I've gone from a 4 1/2 garage at the house, plus a warehouse, to a 2 car garage that you have to skinny through if there are two cars in the garage. I hate it, but it was time.

Last edited by z11375ss; September 2nd, 2016 at 08:53 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2016, 06:14 AM

I ran in to that too with the filter . If you look at the part of it that screws on to the motor it probably does fit but the filter is way to small . I passed on it too. Luckily where I'm at there's always an advanced auto across the street from the auto zone. If they dont have what I need there's a Pl ace I can call and they have it next day more money but......
Railguy
Old September 3rd, 2016, 08:15 AM

similar story. I need a new belt for the Olds. I need a #15565. Napa guys brings me out a #15560. I say that's the wrong one, too short. Napa guy says we don't have that #15565 one and the computer says it the same. So are you saying that 2 inches is the same as 3 inches?
Really strange some people can't use common sense. If something on a computer tells them something it's like it's God speaking and it must be true!
Old September 3rd, 2016, 08:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

Most places now only stock the small diameter 307 filters instead of the larger ones used on the earlier Olds motors. This is why I only use Wix or NAPA Gold and ask for filters by part number. (NAPA Gold is P/N 1049, by the way).
Old September 3rd, 2016, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
This is why I only use Wix or NAPA Gold and ask for filters by part number. (NAPA Gold is P/N 1049, by the way).
And the Wix number is 51049
Old September 3rd, 2016, 10:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by allyolds68
And the Wix number is 51049

You might think they were the same filter...
Old September 3rd, 2016, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano

You might think they were the same filter...
You couldn't find either of them three years ago when they were all wiped out in a fire at the Wix warehouse. I didn't have any trouble this year.
Old September 3rd, 2016, 02:45 PM

Good story, other than the Lucas. I used to cringe when I was doing oil changes at the Goodyear and people would want Lucas in their engine. If you want to know why do some research at bobistheoilguy.com.

I just run whatever full synthetic is on sale plus a bottle of gm engine oil supplement for the zddp.
Old September 3rd, 2016, 02:56 PM
Administrator

I prefer to change my own oil, just back the car out of the garage a bit. It does not take long and purchase supplies ahead of time. You can take the waste oil to the local parts stores, or let friends use it on their burn pile. Some additives actually are a detriment to the friction package that comes in your oil. I just use VR1 racing oil and no other additives with the above filters, it has everything you need in the bottle.
Old September 3rd, 2016, 04:09 PM
Senior Moment Member

I have essentially gotten rid of everything needed to even do an oil change. That's how much I've changed my life. Don't even have a drip pan! Sold the house, cars (except the Cutlass), model car collection, bought a condo in Fla. I need to look into the Lucas thing. If it's bad, then it's bad. There's no getting around it.