The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

An observation about pictures

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2016, 05:46 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

An observation about pictures

So the newbie forum is full of older members saying "we love pics","post pics of your car","will be looking forward to the pics".

My last experience with posting pics was 4 days ago,had 124 views and 0 comments.
The time before I posted pics had 311 views and 6 comments.

Does the board really like pictures?
Or is it a case of the board only wants to see pics of a car once and they have seen enough?

This board has a bunch of great members with tons of info and a fantastic swap and sell area.
I just don't understand the picture issue.
Have a great weekend all!
Old August 19th, 2016, 05:53 PM

I don't understand. People looked at the pictures you posted.
Old August 19th, 2016, 06:01 PM

I think it comes and goes. When I was building my W-30 there was times where I would get tones of comments and then may go 2 months with posting pictures and nothing. A couple time I was wondering if it was worth posting them then all of the sudden people were upset that I was not posting new ones.

I am also amazed at how many people have been here for years with no posts. I have had many people PM me for parts that have been members for years and 0 posts.
Old August 19th, 2016, 06:16 PM

Just post, for future reference

Not everyone follows the comment etiquette. They just want to learn from our members generous offerings of knowledge and experience be it through pictures or information.
Old August 19th, 2016, 06:21 PM
Senior Moment Member

Don't I know it. I started a thread called, "Cool Pic." I posted and posted with nary a comment. I actually posted asking the question if I should continue. The overwhelming answer was yes. Post your stuff. Trust me, we're looking at the pics! Thanks for posting, that's all someone has to say. Positive feedback is a great motivator. I'll try to remember to thank you. Thanks. There, all good. lol!
Old August 19th, 2016, 06:27 PM
344879M363895

Keep in mind that some members aren't always logged in and therefore may not comment due to that. They can see your pics and appreciate them though. Plus plenty of guests can see them if you post them inline vs an attachment.

Do keep posting them. I have used this site's photo gallery as a virtual scrapbook. I have appreciated the comments I have received from them, but had I not received any I know the photos are still going in my gallery here and it gives me and everyone else a chance to look at them when they get the time.
Old August 19th, 2016, 06:31 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Yes,the pics get views but this is a message board. I kind of expect pictures to encourage conversation the way this thread did Does not seem to work that way though.
If people don't get any comments when posting pics,what motivation do they have to post more pics?

One thing I have learned about message boards...drama gets comments! Lots of people are willing to chime in on the drama filled threads.
Old August 19th, 2016, 07:12 PM
72 Olds CS

i was gonna comment on your pic but i held off, mostly because it would be close to the same thing i posted at your last pic....

I love the Olds gold colors (all of them) there my favorite colors for cutlasses, and i really like the hurst rims as well. IMO i dont care for the orange brake drums, in full disclosure tho I did the same to my chevelle drums as a kid
Old August 19th, 2016, 07:47 PM
Administrator

I don't know, but you can look at most threads and the comments vs views is tremendously different. I like the pics btw.
Old August 20th, 2016, 06:38 AM

I really like seeing the pictures! I may not need them right away, but often I will refer back to them when I am working on something. Also helps a lot for deciding what wheels tires interior etc... to buy.
Old August 20th, 2016, 08:38 AM

I think pics are always appreciated. As they say "A picture is worth a thousand words".

Don't worry that people may not comment. Everyone has a different level of interest and participation. Speaking for myself I love pics.
Old August 20th, 2016, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by w-30dreamin
My last experience with posting pics was 4 days ago,had 124 views and 0 comments.
The time before I posted pics had 311 views and 6 comments.

Does the board really like pictures?
Or is it a case of the board only wants to see pics of a car once and they have seen enough?
You want some "drama?" This is a childish attitude. The world wide web is a graphic environment. This is an old car forum. It goes without saying that people are going to want to see the cars that people have. If this were a forum devoted to, say, politics, it would be different.

Just because people didn't post a comment doesn't mean they didn't look at the photos and appreciate them. The number of views your photos get should be satisfaction enough. Besides, what do you expect people to say, and how many times do you want to see the same "nice car" nice car" nice car" "nice car" and then 27 "dittos" or "X2" or "what he said" posting over and over again? Ugh.
Old August 20th, 2016, 12:27 PM
344879M363895

I have to admit, I have refrained from posting anything about some pictures because I'd be guilty of some of what jaunty75 says. Also, I truly don't know enough about some of these cars to make an educated comment in some cases. So I'd be guilty of what he said in his last sentence.

Maybe if you want more participation, post more than just a photo. Tell a story about the car or what you did to it that day. Follow that with a question. Members around here participate and answer questions in a way they should be proud of. So many helpful people here.
Old August 20th, 2016, 02:54 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Originally Posted by jaunty75
You want some "drama?" This is a childish attitude. The world wide web is a graphic environment. This is an old car forum. It goes without saying that people are going to want to see the cars that people have. If this were a forum devoted to, say, politics, it would be different.

Just because people didn't post a comment doesn't mean they didn't look at the photos and appreciate them. The number of views your photos get should be satisfaction enough. Besides, what do you expect people to say, and how many times do you want to see the same "nice car" nice car" nice car" "nice car" and then 27 "dittos" or "X2" or "what he said" posting over and over again? Ugh.
Please reread my posts,nowhere does it say I want drama. I try to stay out of this boards drama.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 10:56 AM

My avitar speaks of my work, but other pics i see are inspiring and i thank all of you for posting hard work and being able to see the results.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 12:24 PM
morgan

I think everyone likes looking at oldmobiles and discussion with pictures in my mind is varied sometimes pictures of problem areas or worn part may get a lot of response as would something you may not see every day and some people like to see pics to see how parts go and wired etc and people post pics of a restoration in progress which I like as well. I like seeing all pictures but start to yawn when Isee 50 pics of the same brake drum...just not into that much general detail

btw your car looks pretty darn nice
Old September 2nd, 2016, 07:15 PM
Phantom Phixer

While we are on the subject of photos here , I would encourage members NOT to use photo hosting services such as Photobucket etc.
The photos have a way of disappearing after a time . (Maybe because the member is not paying for the service any longer ?)
I would encourage everyone to post pics directly from their PC.
Also some pics posted from mobile phones are sometimes upside down or sideways.
Old September 3rd, 2016, 02:29 AM

Another forum that I belong has a "like" check box. When someone "likes" a post/pics, one just checks the "LIKE" box and it shows on the post. Perhaps this would be an option to add to CO. When I read/see a post on CO that I like, there is no "LIKE" box so I just read and then move on. Something for the moderator(s) to consider.
Old September 3rd, 2016, 01:09 PM

i have images on photobucket that have been there since 2004ish..have never lost an image....ever...

there was a time when they where changing formats i didnt use them, but when they got it all straightened out..no issues..all my pics survived that debacle too..
Old September 3rd, 2016, 03:04 PM
Administrator

X2 with Marks statement. They finally changed the picture format on here and its pretty simple to post them. Just a note, this thread had 437 views with just 20 posts and no pictures.
Old September 3rd, 2016, 07:07 PM

I like the "like" button idea if it can be implemented on here. I've used it often on a forum I'm a member of that has it.
Old September 4th, 2016, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by car_designer
I like the "like" button idea if it can be implemented on here. I've used it often on a forum I'm a member of that has it.

X3 on that.
Old September 5th, 2016, 09:24 AM

Yes to keeping the pictures coming. I run through and read these posts and don't often comment. I've been an Olds guy since 15. Got away for a while and got back in again. I appreciate all old cars but I've stuck with Olds. Years back I joined this post but have no clue of what user name I had. Don't quite have the knowledge of others on this site so I lay low, but speaking personally, I appreciate the pictures as well as the other posts. So once again, yes keep them coming.