The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Who Knows 87-93 Fox Bodies?

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2016, 06:11 PM

Who Knows 87-93 Fox Bodies?

I'm possibly looking to convert an auto 87 4 cylinder convertible to a 5.0 auto. My father bought It new as a retirement gift to himself so the car has a lot of sentimental value to me. It has about 65k miles on it and it's in good shape externally because he never drove it in the winter. It's been sitting in my mom's garage since 2013 when he passed away and was used little in the five years prior so interior has some mildew issues so it will likely require some disassembly, cleaning, & reassembly.

I don't know the first thing about the differences between the 4 cylinder or 5.0 yet. I have no idea if there are things specific to a 5.0 convertible that would make this a difficult swap with a 5.0 hatchback or notchback. I'm currently talking with a guy who had a complete notchback that was a 4 cylinder. Someone converted it to a 5.0 but the guy started to disassemble it to make a drag car out of it. He said it was a complete running car before he took at apart.

At this point I'd like to keep it an automatic. I've looked through the Foxbody websites but haven't been able to find quite the right thread to explain what I'm looking to do.

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks,
Old August 14th, 2016, 07:53 PM

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...stang-v8-swap/

Something to peruse...
Old August 15th, 2016, 08:31 PM

Could be talking out my rear here, but years ago I looked into a 5.0 swap on my dads I6 fairmont. What I remember that pertains to you:

The 4 and the 8 use the same k frame. Just need motor mounts(?)

Get a c4 or an AOD for it.

The rear is likely a 7.5", find a v8 8.8 (think 12 bolt strength, I actually have a mustang 8.8 in my olds)

Going efi? Take a donor harness/computer/car if possible. Carbed? Much simpler, can probably get away with the stock harness with some wiring mods.

Good news is there are many ford forums, and this is a commonly done swap with a lot of information already published.
Old September 16th, 2016, 07:57 PM

Pretty easy swap all in all. My previous car was a 87 lx 4cyl 5 speed I put a 5.0 from a 95 mustang and went to carb k frame are the same so you just need engine mounts to set it in. Trans would be your next thing and like others said deciding how you want to feed it fuel. Definitely swap in a 8.8 and do a 5 lug conversion too
Old September 16th, 2016, 10:27 PM
Rocket Renegade!

I'd rule it out.

5.0 Mustangs are cheap and plentiful, making the swap pretty impractical from a financial standpoint. You can buy a 5.0 that was born that way for a lot less than it's going to cost you to do a conversion.

Why not keep your dad's car as is, as a tribute to him and if you want a fast one, check out craigslist.
Old September 17th, 2016, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
I'd rule it out.

5.0 Mustangs are cheap and plentiful, making the swap pretty impractical from a financial standpoint. You can buy a 5.0 that was born that way for a lot less than it's going to cost you to do a conversion.

Why not keep your dad's car as is, as a tribute to him and if you want a fast one, check out craigslist.
I appreciate your point of view but money really isn't the issue. I need to do a major overhaul of the car anyway just to clean it up. I already have a convertible and the Mustang is not the slightest bit fun to drive. I'll never own more than two "fun" cars and my 442 isn't gong anywhere, ever.
Old September 17th, 2016, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by lumley69
Pretty easy swap all in all. My previous car was a 87 lx 4cyl 5 speed I put a 5.0 from a 95 mustang and went to carb k frame are the same so you just need engine mounts to set it in. Trans would be your next thing and like others said deciding how you want to feed it fuel. Definitely swap in a 8.8 and do a 5 lug conversion too
What's involved with the five lug conversion? I understand the rear is a swap out. I think the GT's have some kind of sway bar set up with forward facing shocks to eliminate wheel hop. Are the mounts already on the body so that's a bolt in? I assume the front end needs new spindles to go to the larger brakes and five lug. Is there anything else?

I assume you had to install a complete electrical harness and computer from a 5.0 regardless of whether you go carbureted or throttle body fuel injection, correct?
Old September 17th, 2016, 09:24 AM

Join this forum http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/ and talk to these guys. There is ton of KNOWLEDGE over there.