The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Just booked a trip to panama city

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2016, 08:47 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Just booked a trip to panama city

Anyone local to the area on here or have been there any suggestions. Im 27 and this is seriously my first vacation lol.
Old August 11th, 2016, 09:34 PM
same but different

Best wishes for a fun trip. We've never been in the pan handle of FL.

Mrs71 and I always like history related things and that can mean museums or collections.

It really comes down to your interests.

The water related relaxation stuff, you'll have that covered, just like the food and drinks, its all there, don't try to do too much...just let it ride and have a good time.
Old August 12th, 2016, 10:35 AM

Lazy vacation is the game plan but we plan on doing atleast 2 things per day to break up the beach and drinks lol. I too enjoy history we will see whats in the area . Hopefully some of the local florida members will chime in.
Old August 12th, 2016, 11:47 AM

Just remember its Hot I mean really Hot on the sand this time of year. Have good footwear and lots of stuff to drink and portable shade.

PS have fun
Old August 12th, 2016, 12:12 PM
pavemobile

I used to live near Ft Walton Beach when I was stationed at Hurlburt Field. I was a helicopter mechanic and have flown all over that area...beautiful coastline from Pensacola over to Apalachicola, beach sand white as sugar. Be careful of the riptides if you go swimming...bad bad. You have access to whole or half-day fishing charters, Hobie Kats, and any water entertainment you can think of. If you want to drive just a few miles East, Destin has some amazing snorkeling and seafood markets. McGuire's Irish Pub has a location there right on Hwy 98, a bit smaller than their main spot in Pensacola but great steaks and microbrewery. Be sure to try the Grilled Amberjack - nothing like it. The best is about 60 miles from you though, at the intersection of Hwy. 98 and Beal Parkway in FWB; Staff's is the name of the place. I was last there in October 2008; the inside is like walking into a 1940's Hemingway novel...center staircase leading up to the bar and smoking area, and the food is outstanding...been there for many, many years. Have a great time, one of the gems of the U.S.
Old August 12th, 2016, 03:22 PM
344879M363895

I just wanted to say...good for you on your first vacation. Have a blast and enjoy yourself. Check tripadvisor.com for the best ranked things to do. I can't live without that website. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...h_Florida.html
Old August 12th, 2016, 06:19 PM

Panama City AKA Redneck Riviera. In my younger days I would go there 2 -3 times a year. Good times!!! I now go down the beach to the quieter Pensacola. I would suggest going to watch the Blue Angels practice in Pensacola. It is free and they have a nice museum that is free also. Have a great time.

Don W
Old August 12th, 2016, 06:46 PM

Thanks guys ., I'm a bit of a redneck .,Well my friends call me the Mexican hillbilly lol. I just wanna relax and have a good time. Not much into the party night life. But sitting on the beach drinking beer sounds great. We are going in october. My boss and his son pushed me to take a vacation after I mentioned I have been at my trade (body work) for almost 10 years and never took a real vacation. I'm pretty stoked.
Old August 12th, 2016, 09:44 PM

Keep an eye on the weather forecast so you are aware of tropical storm activity. Hurricanes get all the publicity but tropical storms can dump more rain. Look what Allison did in '01 with some areas getting over 10 inches of rain in one day.

Last edited by Fun71; August 12th, 2016 at 09:49 PM.
Old August 12th, 2016, 09:50 PM

yeah But when the storm season spread is between june and november you kinda have to bite the bullet. I chose october as thats when i get my vacation time.
Old August 12th, 2016, 10:04 PM
Senior Moment Member

Mexican Hillbilly! Love it! I hope to meet you someday Copper.
Old August 13th, 2016, 05:54 PM

Haven't been to that beach, been to Pensacola and Orange Beach Al. I Love the Gulf coast. Mexican redneck is on of the best I've heard in a long time. Enjoy your well deserved vacation.
CJ
Old August 13th, 2016, 08:05 PM

I presume We as in wife and I? Makes a difference compared to going as a single man.
Old August 13th, 2016, 09:33 PM

Girlfriend but same concept. She lives with me or as my mom calls it marriage practice.
Old September 3rd, 2016, 08:47 PM
Senior Moment Member

LOL! I moved in with my wife to be after I put a ring on it. My Mom told my girlfriend, "If you're going to move in with my son you'd better have an engagement ring!" She knew my Dad all too well. We were in college in 1985. Her Mom made a surprise visit with a phone call preceding her being there in about 10 minutes. My then fiancé took everything I owned and put it in a closet and shoved a couch against the door. The only thing she forgot was the picture I had made of two cheerleaders 69ing and had put on the corkboard! I still wonder if she saw it.

Last edited by z11375ss; September 3rd, 2016 at 08:53 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2016, 09:25 PM

My girlfriend loves the drag strip loves the cars and gets along with all my car friends and the running around with projects and what not. She runs around the drag strip taking pictures and grabbing time slips and driving the back up vehicle filled with tools and what not. I can't complain.
Old September 3rd, 2016, 09:44 PM
Senior Moment Member

Sounds like you got a keeper. We have to meet someday.
Old September 4th, 2016, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by z11375ss
LOL! I moved in with my wife to be after I put a ring on it. My Mom told my girlfriend, "If you're going to move in with my son you'd better have an engagement ring!" She knew my Dad all too well. We were in college in 1985. Her Mom made a surprise visit with a phone call preceding her being there in about 10 minutes. My then fiancé took everything I owned and put it in a closet and shoved a couch against the door. The only thing she forgot was the picture I had made of two cheerleaders 69ing and had put on the corkboard! I still wonder if she saw it.
Send me a copy
Old September 5th, 2016, 06:18 AM

coppercutlass: there is a very, very old oyster bar near the docks (just east of the Marina Civic Center) in an old section of Panama Bch. Can't remember the name even though I ve been there several times. Just know where it is at. It is one of the oldest building/oyster bar in town/state. They serve Apalachicola oysters which are world known for their great flavor! They have been in business so long that the counter top where they place the oyster to open, is worn half through!

The time you come down is good as the bays and coast line will be clam and settled after Hermine just went through this past weekend (if we do not have anymore storms). I live right in the path of Hermine and was just right on the edge on the east side of the eye. So "I bit the bullet". No damage to motor-home, trailers, house, garage/shop, etc. Just some small limbs down. Just 12 miles east of me a tornado touched down and did a lot of damage. I would rather go through a hurricane than a tornado! The county I live in (Wakulla) did not fair so well. We had a 11' storm surge, so a lot of flooding on the coast (I am 10 miles inland from there). Friday morning 99% of the county was without power.

I have lived here since 1995 and been through 1 category 1 hurricane and 2
category 2 hurricanes and this "tropical storm" was the worst!

Today is Monday, Sept. 5, and I still do not have power, however I have a whole house 8,000 watt generator plugged in to my house. I've got frozen $200.00 worth of Maine lobster tails, $100.00 box of Alaskan crab legs, and just bought a 6 lb. $120.00 whole filet mignon. I have to drive 35 miles north of me to a gas station that has power. Going through $27.00 of fuel a day to save it all!

Last edited by davebw31; September 5th, 2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old September 5th, 2016, 07:01 AM

coppercutlass: Up date! I just remembered the name of the oyster bar. It is called Hunt's Oyster Bar. I googled it and they are at a new location in Panama City and still the same owners, 1150 Beck Ave. Like everything in Panama City and Panama City Beach it is pricey!, 850-763-9645, and they are open Monday through Saturday.

Last edited by davebw31; September 5th, 2016 at 07:03 AM.
Old September 5th, 2016, 10:57 AM

I will have to check it out for sure. Saw the online menu. I'm gonna be like a fat kid at a buffet lol. How close are you to Panama city Dave?
Old September 5th, 2016, 11:57 AM

coppercutlass: I am about 2 hours east of there (depending on traffic). I have gone to a lot of concerts at the Marina Civic Center. Going mid-afternoon is the best time. Maybe I could meet you for dinner at Hunts?

BTW: As mentioned previously BE VERY CAREFUL OF THE RIP TIDES. Very bad along there from Mexico Bch., to Destin, and Panama City Bch.

Last edited by davebw31; September 5th, 2016 at 12:12 PM.
Old September 5th, 2016, 01:41 PM

Thanks for the tip Dave . Perhaps if you still have those wheels (spyders) and the time is right (money wise) i might be interested in checking them out. I will let you know when the time gets closer.
Old September 5th, 2016, 03:34 PM

yes, still have the wheels. OCA Nats swap meet was terrible. Low ballers, lookers, "oh I already have the part just wanted to know what you asking" kind of crap, most thought it was a garage sale, not a car part swap meet! Those that showed some interest didn't even know what they were looking at or what the wheels were as far as rarity............
Old September 16th, 2016, 01:08 PM

Whatever you do, you will have a great time if it's your first vacation. I'm currently of country number 39, it's probably easier for us in Europe.
I love travelling and soaking get up the culture. I'm off to Malaga in Spain on Sunday morning however this is about my 10th time in Spain. Love the food and the weather.
Happy travels.