The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Tips for a Kingsport Nationals first timer?

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2016, 09:42 AM
Gearhead in training

Tips for a Kingsport Nationals first timer?

Hi all! This is my first year as an oldsmobile owner and the first year i will be attending nationals, im really excited and have been looking forward to it since i caught wind.

As far as planning goes, i honestly dont know the address of where its being held and at this point have gotten about as far as saying i want to go, i dont really know what to expect or what to plan for, and with it right around the corner id like some tips and ideas of what to expect and plan for.

Ill be driving the custom cruiser and hope to pick up a few odds and ends as well as put a few names to faces. Im 19, so im pretty sure bars and pubs arnt in my cards. And places you guys know of to attend while im there? Ill probably be spending the duration of the trip in the woods whenever im not at Nationals themselves.

Thanks in advance and id love to see some of you who've helped me personally!
Old July 15th, 2016, 10:52 AM

Keith,
Here's a link for some information on the show. http://www.dixieoldsclub.com/kingsport-2016.html

If you haven't booked a motel room you probably will have a hard time finding one close to the venue. There are some rooms available within 10-15 miles which isn't too bad I guess. If you are only staying one or two nights there may be something closer.

My wife and I are heading down Wednesday morning around 8:00 and plan to be there around 2:00. If you are planning on going down that day maybe we can have a little caravan.

Bring cash because I'm sure most vendors don't accept plastic.

Bring comfy shoes cause you will put on some miles walking while drooling over all the cars.

Check out this https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...nationals.html . You'll be able to meet some CO people at these get togethers if you'd like. If the lounge serves food you should be able to hang out without having adult beverages.

Text me if you have any questions or need help getting a room.

Rick
Old July 15th, 2016, 01:03 PM

Just have to say that Rick gave Keith a VERY NICE and HELPFUL reply to his inquiry!
Old July 15th, 2016, 02:33 PM
Oldsdruid

In addition to cash and good shoes, SUNSCREEN and a good floppy hat that covers yer ears! Something to tote parts n literature in makes life easier too.

Host hotel address should be on the Nationals website. I've got to find the Quality Inn's address too since I was at work when I made reservation and left the paperwork there. Out w/ rotator cuff surgery since Feb and haven't been able to get it!
Old July 18th, 2016, 05:25 AM
Gearhead in training

Originally Posted by Cincinnati Rick
Keith,
Here's a link for some information on the show. http://www.dixieoldsclub.com/kingsport-2016.html

If you haven't booked a motel room you probably will have a hard time finding one close to the venue. There are some rooms available within 10-15 miles which isn't too bad I guess. If you are only staying one or two nights there may be something closer.

My wife and I are heading down Wednesday morning around 8:00 and plan to be there around 2:00. If you are planning on going down that day maybe we can have a little caravan.

Bring cash because I'm sure most vendors don't accept plastic.

Bring comfy shoes cause you will put on some miles walking while drooling over all the cars.

Check out this https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...nationals.html . You'll be able to meet some CO people at these get togethers if you'd like. If the lounge serves food you should be able to hang out without having adult beverages.

Text me if you have any questions or need help getting a room.

Rick
Thanks for all the info Rick! Ive been experiencing a few hiccups in my planning as my job decided to mess up my pay the only time it really matters. Im still hoping i can pull a rabbit out of my hat and make it down there, ill keep you posted as im liking the caravan idea!

Ps that hat idea is probably going to save my life, i didnt even consider it but ive got just the hat for the job! Again, thanks for all the tips guys and keep em coming!
Old July 18th, 2016, 05:35 AM

Hope it all works out Keith.
Old July 18th, 2016, 05:37 AM
Lansing built

A decent size cooler. So you don't have to pay $2.00 or more for a can of soda or water. Some wash supplies drying cloths. The host hotel usually has 4-5 hoses and buckets.

Pat
Old August 7th, 2016, 06:15 PM
Oldsdruid

Did you get there, youngun? It was so brutal hot that I know a lot of folks stayed in the hotel in A/C. Would have enjoyed meeting you.
Old August 7th, 2016, 08:21 PM
Gearhead in training

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Did you get there, youngun? It was so brutal hot that I know a lot of folks stayed in the hotel in A/C. Would have enjoyed meeting you.
Sadly, no... My job decided then would be a great time to mess up my pay and it crippled me to the point that i couldnt scrounge up enough to get down there and they refused to pay me out until the last day of the convention. I was so excited to go though, and im not happy with the way it was handled. I hope i have another opportunity such as this to meet a few faces from here soon, im really bummed i couldn't make it!