The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Any Millionaires

Search this Thread

Old January 31st, 2009, 07:07 PM

Any Millionaires

If so, how did you make it? I for one am not...by a long shot. But I guess my wife, two of three sons and our dog, live decently.

Sorry - this should be in the Clubhouse. Moderator, please move. Thanks.

Last edited by 442much; January 31st, 2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old January 31st, 2009, 07:11 PM

Why yes I am. I made it big by following the 285 Rules of Acquisition. My faviorite is number 211:

"Employees are the rungs on the ladder of success. Don't hesitate to step on them."

Old January 31st, 2009, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Why yes I am. I made it big by following the 285 Rules of Acquisition. My faviorite is number 211:

"Employees are the rungs on the ladder of success. Don't hesitate to step on them."

AH HA! A Star Trek man! In my time there is no need for money. We become rich by enriching the lives of others.
Old January 31st, 2009, 08:14 PM
car guy

Working on it... We are talking pennies right?
Old January 31st, 2009, 09:22 PM
same but different

They say, if you want to be a millionare you must learn to think like one.

I"ve been reading the books

My dream is to give money away and I'm looking for a full time postion with benefits.
Old January 31st, 2009, 09:48 PM

I am on my second million the first one didn't pan out. If the second doesn't work then I will move on the the third and so on
Old February 1st, 2009, 04:14 AM
Registered

I only need 10,000 members to send me a hundred dollars and I can reveal my secret to becoming a millionaire.

I take Paypal.
Old February 1st, 2009, 04:46 AM

Tryin like hell, though right now everything is going out. If you are willing to discipline yourself, and your wife is on board, Check into Dave Ramsey. He doesn't have any get rich quick schemes or anything like that, but he does teach basic financial principles that lead to wealth building habits. He is probably the only reason We are still in business. He has a website www.daveramsey.com , and more than a couple books. If you are self employed he is doing a program that I want to get to if I can ever get the money and the time at the same time. I forget what it's called but it teaches you how to motivate yourself, your staff and get you to the next level professionally. He has a radio program on xm channel165 in the afternoon that I listen to when I can. Good info, good motivation
Old February 1st, 2009, 04:47 AM

My dream is to give money away and I'm looking for a full time postion with benefits.[/quote]
Run for congress
Old February 1st, 2009, 03:20 PM
2 '66 98's

Of course I'm a millionaire. How else would I afford 3 Oldsmobiles? I worked, saved and did a little printing in the basement.
Old February 1st, 2009, 05:10 PM

[quote=csstrux;61457]Tryin like hell, though right now everything is going out. If you are willing to discipline yourself, and your wife is on board, Check into Dave Ramsey. He doesn't have any get rich quick schemes or anything like that, but he does teach basic financial principles that lead to wealth building habits.

He has a pretty complicated formula for building wealth.
pay your bills off and don't get more oh yah and save save save
Old February 2nd, 2009, 04:56 AM
car nut farmer

I'll second what csstrux said about Dave Ramsey. If his books are half as good as his radio program, they should be required reading in all schools.

I don't think many people realize the amount of discipline it takes to accumulate wealth and most don't want to.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 06:14 AM
Past Administrator

This thread is kind of fun but wondering if anyone will answer seriously. I realize there are ore millionaires now than ever but doubt that we have any here. If so, I wonder if they would even answer bother to admit it. Seems to me that most of the people here are honest and humble people so even if there was one we wouldn't know about it. And....no, I am not one.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 07:43 AM

A lot of people are close to or are millionaires. 1. Own your home outright. reasonable amount of money in savings. In several areas of the country that by istelf = wealth.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 10:24 AM

A few tips that most already know...

Although not a millionaire (getting far from it now with this stupid economy) that is my goal, whether I reach it or not...

We all here are probably doing one thing to help, and that is driving an older, yet RELIABLE car! Car payments on a depreciating asset make no sense to me; I have never done that, never will. High insurance hurts, too. DIY repairs are difficult to say the least. Gas savings are often negligable compared to monthly payments. Do your homework and never believe the salesman's high claims, and remember, your mileage WILL vary. Consumer reports just said that the 1.5 litre baby buggy cars get about 20 city, 37 hwy. Heck, my 97 caddy gets a constant 18 (often 19) in the city! Those tiny cars will not help you get a date despite the 17K price tags.

As for car parts, watch for specials and sales. Make lists of multiple parts to get from each vendor in advance of your project. Buy enough to maximize the shipping costs, even if you may not use the part right away but still NEED it. When they arrive, check for damage and make sure they will fit if possible. Doing labor yourself when possible always saves. But if you really doubt your abilities, buy the parts and pay someone to install them. Better to pay some labor than cause more damage yourself (like recovering my seats - I did not want to chance 600 bucks of material to my own blunders).

Improvise! Make your own parts or tools when possible. A creative mind can save money. Look at Don's Torque Converter cap - a $2 pipe cap from home depot. I saw "real" TC caps at year one for 8 bucks plus shipping that will do the same job. Thanks Don!
Jelly jars mounted under the shelves do just as good as the $20 "organizer" at the container store.
Plastic grocery bags work as great trash bags...

Many ways to help build growth are often overlooked, or require a little "suffering" or getting used to. But as I think, we did so long with so little before, we can do it now... Those "become a rich guy in 1 year" books that sell for 30 bucks will just repeat these. Now if he sells 34K copies of the book, he just became a millionaire!!

Pay your house off ASAP. Always add as much extra as possible to the beginning of the loan when principle is lowest. Fixed rate loans may be best since you will know what to expect. On a new loan, put 1/3 down if all possible to avoid mortgage insurance - a big expense.

Use things you have to the fullest, as long as they will last. My 1967 blender still whips up good margies - the chrome looks cool also!

Fix things yourself if possible. Many repairs are minor but often seem big. Many are intimidating, but facing them head on helps.
I fixed my Ford's alternator with a set of $4 brushes from the local Napa... The manual helped a lot though.
A dead heater element in the dryer may cost 40 bucks online, but a new dryer cost 400. The motors rarely go out, so there is not much left to fail later... If you can restore an Olds, you can fix a dryer. Online shopping for repair parts can save you a bundle, too!

Buy out of need, and not want. Stay away from costly fashions and fads that pass quickly. The female genders in your life may not let you get away with this though... I have an advantage by being single.

Try store brands of groceries if possible. The WM ones are routinely good IMHO. Buy in bulk for stuff you use a lot, but make sure there is a bulk discount in the price first. Some do not!

Avoid casual shopping, as you will often bring back more stuff you did not need and may never use. (I am very guilty of that!)

Try to make errand stops in a circular sequence, or on the way home from work if you are passing the place you need to go. Think of gas savings in planning your stops.

Eliminate "services" that are not that important, as they add up fast. Cable TV, internet, cell phones, lawn mowing, alarm monitoring, onstar, sat. radio, netflicks, pest control, chemlawn, gym, etc...
Look for better deals on ones that are important, but understand the fine print first. Like cell phones, tracfones are the best beal for emergency only or limited use (30 bucks for 6 months or more). The "slow" $20 dsl is often just fine for most who do not download movies or lots of music.
Mow your own grass and trim your own bushes for good exercise and to save 40 or more a month in yard care!
Most "pro" insecticides are available to anyone online - exterminate your home yourself for an 8th of the cost per year. This stuff is stronger, more effective, surprisingly safe, and sold only to "pros" and online customers. Just follow the easy precautions and you're fine.

Take your own lunch to work, even though it may suck. Seven bucks a meal times 20 work days is 140 a month for lunch. Wow, it adds up! Limit dinner out or use coupons or look for daily specials. That daily $2 cup of coffee adds up, too! I prefer instant coffee from the Asian market - it is a very tasty french style, fast and easy to make, and is about 15 cents a cup (if I omit the Irish cream).

Never pay late fees and penalties. Pay bills on time, return rented videos on time, and never write a check more than what is in your account. (I had an ex GF that violated this all the time - 50 a month in fees for her! I hated it!)

Watch your utility use. 62-68 in winter, 77-83 in summer (depending on outside temp). Use fans, dress for the season, and take a cool shower to feel better in summer. Open windows and ventilate with fans when the weater permits. Verify good attic ventilation.
TVs and lamps use more power than one often thinks and create heat. Turn things off when not using them or not in that room. (I have a set of elegant lights in my hallway that use 17 40 watt bulbs. That makes 680 watts of heat, just like a space heater on low!) Use CF bulbs in lights most often used (if not dimmer controlled). The Walmart brand is as good as GE and they are great for the garage troublelights - vibration resistant!
Try a room A/C in the bedroom for sleeping cooler while cooling only that room in summer. (That saves me over 120 a season; I bought the AC unit for only 50 bucks at a target clearance...) A good heater can help in winter, too. Why cool or heat the whole house for 8 hours when you stay in one room for the night?

Hopefully this list will just get us all thinking at what areas we can downsize on to help save more in a difficult economy.
Remember, the money you save today can buy more car parts tomorrow!

Disclaimer:
Not everything is best for all people; evaluate youself to see if they may work for you.
This is not an all inclusive list. If it was, i would need to sell it for 30 bucks a copy...
Not responsible for lost or misdirected people, accidental or otherwise.
This list may not make you a millionaire, but should help you save SOMETHING...

And as my ex GF's old Chinese saying goes, "Save your pennies and your dollars will follow."
My saying is "have more sense than dollars..." (Spelling is correct.)
Old February 2nd, 2009, 10:50 AM
"me somebody" site member

Not a millionaire here, not by a longshot. If I WAS a millionaire, I'd have one of each of my most desired cars, including the 1966 442 convertible 4 speeder I sold 3 years ago (or one like it, anyway). Owning another such car is a goal of mine regardless, however, and I expect that I will realize it within the next 5-10 years. Sure, it would be easier going if I was a millionaire, but I am happy to go about it the long way.

As Thoreau wrote, "if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with success in uncommon hours."
Old February 2nd, 2009, 11:44 AM

As Thoreau wrote, "if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with success in uncommon hours."
And as my ex GF's old Chinese saying goes, "Save your pennies and your dollars will follow."
My ancient Greek ancestors said, and I paraphrase "One should not be ashamed of being poor, the shame lie's in not taking measures to try and escape from it."
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
This thread is kind of fun but wondering if anyone will answer seriously. I realize there are ore millionaires now than ever but doubt that we have any here. If so, I wonder if they would even answer bother to admit it. Seems to me that most of the people here are honest and humble people so even if there was one we wouldn't know about it. And....no, I am not one.

I know of one member who is a Millionaire, he has not posted on this subject. Maybe he is afraid people will start asking for loans. LOL
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:21 PM
Captain of my ship

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
There are more millionaires now but in doesn't go as far as it used to , then again there weren't 300 million people when it did go far either. I wonder how many poor there are now? back in the old days your neighbbor might help you out , today he might beat you down and take what's left.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 02:17 PM
Past Administrator

Anonymity is a blessing. Over at HAMB some people fell over themselves trying to "cozy up" to Jesse James after they found out he was a member. He used his name as the username and at first people were skeptical, after they were convince (he provided many evidences) their attitudes changed. Who knows? Maybe someone here is really Donald Trump.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 03:35 PM

Donald Trump
I thought Donald Trump wasn't a millionare anymore!

Actually, I am glad I am not a millionare or celbrity. Look at what happened to Michael Phelps recently!

We hold celebrities to higher standards. Just because you are rich or a super athlete doesn't mean you aren't human.

As they say, "it is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life."
Old February 3rd, 2009, 03:32 AM
car nut farmer

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Although not a millionaire (getting far from it now with this stupid economy) that is my goal, whether I reach it or not...

We all here are probably doing one thing to help, and that is driving an older, yet RELIABLE car! Car payments on a depreciating asset make no sense to me; I have never done that, never will. High insurance hurts, too. DIY repairs are difficult to say the least. Gas savings are often negligable compared to monthly payments. Do your homework and never believe the salesman's high claims, and remember, your mileage WILL vary. Consumer reports just said that the 1.5 litre baby buggy cars get about 20 city, 37 hwy. Heck, my 97 caddy gets a constant 18 (often 19) in the city! Those tiny cars will not help you get a date despite the 17K price tags.

As for car parts, watch for specials and sales. Make lists of multiple parts to get from each vendor in advance of your project. Buy enough to maximize the shipping costs, even if you may not use the part right away but still NEED it. When they arrive, check for damage and make sure they will fit if possible. Doing labor yourself when possible always saves. But if you really doubt your abilities, buy the parts and pay someone to install them. Better to pay some labor than cause more damage yourself (like recovering my seats - I did not want to chance 600 bucks of material to my own blunders).

Improvise! Make your own parts or tools when possible. A creative mind can save money. Look at Don's Torque Converter cap - a $2 pipe cap from home depot. I saw "real" TC caps at year one for 8 bucks plus shipping that will do the same job. Thanks Don!
Jelly jars mounted under the shelves do just as good as the $20 "organizer" at the container store.
Plastic grocery bags work as great trash bags...

Many ways to help build growth are often overlooked, or require a little "suffering" or getting used to. But as I think, we did so long with so little before, we can do it now... Those "become a rich guy in 1 year" books that sell for 30 bucks will just repeat these. Now if he sells 34K copies of the book, he just became a millionaire!!

Pay your house off ASAP. Always add as much extra as possible to the beginning of the loan when principle is lowest. Fixed rate loans may be best since you will know what to expect. On a new loan, put 1/3 down if all possible to avoid mortgage insurance - a big expense.

Use things you have to the fullest, as long as they will last. My 1967 blender still whips up good margies - the chrome looks cool also!

Fix things yourself if possible. Many repairs are minor but often seem big. Many are intimidating, but facing them head on helps.
I fixed my Ford's alternator with a set of $4 brushes from the local Napa... The manual helped a lot though.
A dead heater element in the dryer may cost 40 bucks online, but a new dryer cost 400. The motors rarely go out, so there is not much left to fail later... If you can restore an Olds, you can fix a dryer. Online shopping for repair parts can save you a bundle, too!

Buy out of need, and not want. Stay away from costly fashions and fads that pass quickly. The female genders in your life may not let you get away with this though... I have an advantage by being single.

Try store brands of groceries if possible. The WM ones are routinely good IMHO. Buy in bulk for stuff you use a lot, but make sure there is a bulk discount in the price first. Some do not!

Avoid casual shopping, as you will often bring back more stuff you did not need and may never use. (I am very guilty of that!)

Try to make errand stops in a circular sequence, or on the way home from work if you are passing the place you need to go. Think of gas savings in planning your stops.

Eliminate "services" that are not that important, as they add up fast. Cable TV, internet, cell phones, lawn mowing, alarm monitoring, onstar, sat. radio, netflicks, pest control, chemlawn, gym, etc...
Look for better deals on ones that are important, but understand the fine print first. Like cell phones, tracfones are the best beal for emergency only or limited use (30 bucks for 6 months or more). The "slow" $20 dsl is often just fine for most who do not download movies or lots of music.
Mow your own grass and trim your own bushes for good exercise and to save 40 or more a month in yard care!
Most "pro" insecticides are available to anyone online - exterminate your home yourself for an 8th of the cost per year. This stuff is stronger, more effective, surprisingly safe, and sold only to "pros" and online customers. Just follow the easy precautions and you're fine.

Take your own lunch to work, even though it may suck. Seven bucks a meal times 20 work days is 140 a month for lunch. Wow, it adds up! Limit dinner out or use coupons or look for daily specials. That daily $2 cup of coffee adds up, too! I prefer instant coffee from the Asian market - it is a very tasty french style, fast and easy to make, and is about 15 cents a cup (if I omit the Irish cream).

Never pay late fees and penalties. Pay bills on time, return rented videos on time, and never write a check more than what is in your account. (I had an ex GF that violated this all the time - 50 a month in fees for her! I hated it!)

Watch your utility use. 62-68 in winter, 77-83 in summer (depending on outside temp). Use fans, dress for the season, and take a cool shower to feel better in summer. Open windows and ventilate with fans when the weater permits. Verify good attic ventilation.
TVs and lamps use more power than one often thinks and create heat. Turn things off when not using them or not in that room. (I have a set of elegant lights in my hallway that use 17 40 watt bulbs. That makes 680 watts of heat, just like a space heater on low!) Use CF bulbs in lights most often used (if not dimmer controlled). The Walmart brand is as good as GE and they are great for the garage troublelights - vibration resistant!
Try a room A/C in the bedroom for sleeping cooler while cooling only that room in summer. (That saves me over 120 a season; I bought the AC unit for only 50 bucks at a target clearance...) A good heater can help in winter, too. Why cool or heat the whole house for 8 hours when you stay in one room for the night?

Hopefully this list will just get us all thinking at what areas we can downsize on to help save more in a difficult economy.
Remember, the money you save today can buy more car parts tomorrow!

Disclaimer:
Not everything is best for all people; evaluate youself to see if they may work for you.
This is not an all inclusive list. If it was, i would need to sell it for 30 bucks a copy...
Not responsible for lost or misdirected people, accidental or otherwise.
This list may not make you a millionaire, but should help you save SOMETHING...

Wow, my lost twin.....

Also, if someone calls you a skinflint(or worst) take it as a compliment.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:02 AM
"me somebody" site member

By the way, I may not be a skinflint, but I do have the first penny I ever earned. The first penny subject to taxes / "on the books", that is...worked at a gas station in 1982 (at age of 16) and I was able to cash my paycheck by signing it back over to the owner and getting cash from the register. Whatever it came out to (not much), there was a penny in the change, and I have it to this day. So the next time someone says I'm so cheap I probably got the first penny I ever earned, they would be correct.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
I do have the first penny I ever earned.
Wow - I wish I had mine... But I DO still have the first $100 bill that came into my hands! I got it around 1991 when i fixed a lady's video camera and got her a new battery. I did repairs like that as a side business then while in college. Quite profitable then...
I thought I would save that bill for a true emergency, the one that never came (yet)...
Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by 71rocket
Wow, my lost twin.....
Also, if someone calls you a skinflint(or worst) take it as a compliment.

My mom taught me well about supporting myself and never borrowing money or living on credit. It is a lot like losing weight... If you always maintain, keeping it off is easy. If you let it get too bad, it is very hard to lose it. The only loan I had was for the house. I put 1/3 down and financed the rest. First payment was 10K, second was 20K, courtesy of Mom's Savings and Loan. I then paid off the mortgage company in 3 years, as most went to principle then. I paid off Mom in about 3 years and gave her 8% as interest (better giving it to her than a grungy bank!)
People looked at me strange, building a new semi-custom home while driving around in a 78 Pinto... But there was a reason for that madness...
Most of my friend's priorities after getting out from college were their beemers... They lived in one room apartments, living paycheck to paycheck.

I have people around here complaing about their $500 electric bills and I enjoy complaining back to them that mine for that period was just over 100...
Those who had poked fun at my trusty pinto often got the last laugh when I would have to take them home when their new huhnduh wouldn't start...
When people are surprised I do not have cable TV, I tell them i have better things to do - like work on my car projects, ride motorcycles, chase women, and travel... They sometimes said "I wish I could have fun like that..." I say, "You can, if you really want to..."

As many can see, I am very much immune to peer pressure...

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; February 3rd, 2009 at 05:39 AM.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 06:44 AM
Captain of my ship

Angry The simple life

Originally Posted by Olds64
I thought Donald Trump wasn't a millionare anymore!

Actually, I am glad I am not a millionare or celbrity. Look at what happened to Michael Phelps recently!

We hold celebrities to higher standards. Just because you are rich or a super athlete doesn't mean you aren't human.

As they say, "it is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life."
You gotta admit the simple life is getting harder to keep simple , but I think I want to get back to that.I am still holding some debt on my house and a large debt from a buisness that my mom and I were in partnership with. It burned to the ground in 2001 and though it was insured the building was old so there was no rebuild clause if the cause was due to problems due to age. After it burned down the first letter I got from the insurance company stated that if we tried to collect any insurance they would pursue fraud and or arson charges? Even before fire mashall's report. I was at home in bed when my alarm company phoned and the fire marshall determined where it started and said it could of been accidental or set on purpose.No other explanation The insurance company then hired an independant investigation company with who I had a meeting ironically 9-11-2001 at 9am. They found a burnt electircal plug in the wall behind where the fire marshall stated. While they did not confirm this as the area that caused the fire it was between that or an accidental fire?The store was closed and locked up at the time and I had a motion sensor pointed directly at that area because it was right beside my office wher the safe and fileing cabinets were kept.Despite all this the RCMP arrested me on Dec.15 and charged me with arson.After grilling me for 9 1/2 hours they let me out on bond.Two years and several court appearences later the prosecuter dropped case because the RCMP failed to supply him with any evidence .The insurance company was forced to pay the bank mortgage but screwed us on everything else , they paid out moms share but threatened to take me to court if I did not sign off on deal. As my lawyer bill was already high I just signed off to finish the story.Not quite as the blacklisted me as high risk and could not get insurance when I tried to renew house with a different company.I had to wait 6 years before I could insure my house I had to pay bank a mortgege insurance fee that only would pay off the morgage.I think I may get into farming and continue what my dad was doing , organic farming. he had a great technique for making organic compost and people have been asking if it will still be available so maybe that will be my new job. Hard work but a simple life as I would work for me and answer to me.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 06:48 PM

As I understand most millionaires in the country are self made, first generation, and not by having high paying jobs. Most are construction workers, truck drivers, Garage owners, or other "humble" type jobs. Usually self employed. Sales is supposed to be the highest paying profession out there. Did you ever notice how people who have "classy" jobs almost always have fancy, expensive cars? usually new, big fancy houses with corresponding mortgages, and expensive clothes. I want to some day be able to call myself wealthy. The only way that I have ever learned that works every time, is hard work, strict fiscal discipline, and perseverance. The millionaire next door and the Dave Ramsey program is where I am getting my info, so holler at them if I am wrong. I wish I knew about Ramsey and financial peace 5 or 10 years ago. I would not be in the pickle I am in right now. Luckily we figured things out in time to survive as long as we have, and might be able to hold on until the markets right themselves. back on topic. A friend started following financial peace some 6 or so years ago, mired in debt, they got fired up, sold a couple of rental homes that they had, their "new cars" and payed off debts like mad. He drove like a madman. (another truck driver) Not mad like idiot, mad like 2 am till 11 pm I know from personal experience. We did that the entire week I ran with him...never again. Any how, he worked his azz off. He recently left for Iraq, leaving a paid for house, a 1 year emergency fund I forget how much tucked away in bonds stocks and a huge life insurance policy. Exact numbers are his buisness alone, but sufice it to say, he is not and will not be hurting any time soon. I say hats off to him, and any who can and do follow his path. He turned me on to Dave, and I am thankfull for it.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:30 PM
car guy

Lots of good info in this thread. I have always been a conservative spender and saved some but about 2 years ago I started listening to Dave Ramsey and reading his books. He gave me a structure to go by and I am so glad i came across him. Another really good book is Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kyosaki (sp)

Before following Dave I was buying things when I wanted on credit cards and paying them out even though lots of times I had money in savings to cover it. Now we are almost finished with baby step three and we don't really miss things we used to blow money on. Now my car would be alot farther along if I was using credit cards but thats a different story

Right before Katrina I bought a 120K mile Geo Metro faded paint 5speed for 1200.00 My co workers were all giving me crap abou it and the Katrina hit and gas went almost to 4.00 My little 45MPG car was not so uncool any more.
Our wasing machine is one I bought at a garage sale 7 years ago and my dryer was 50.00 off craigslist amost 3 years ago. They don't exacty match but who cares. My wife drives a 2800.00 minivan that I will fix as needed or replace with something similar if the time comes.
Bottom line it you have to be very methodical with every dollar you spend if you want to be weathy some day.

Richard ....Living like no one else so some day I can live like no one else.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:45 PM

Chad I saw you read the millionaire next door, did you read the millionaire mind by the same author? If not check it out, good read.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:10 PM

I don't need $1,000,000 but I won't turn it down.

Give me $500,000 so I can buy and decorate a house and have no mortgage, and I'm set
Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:37 PM

My wife started her business and it's going pretty good. She gets to write off "stuff" for tax time. Actually Robert Kyosaki reviewed the business and said that had he done the same thing, he would have become a millionaire in 4 years rather than the 20 it actually took him. We'll see how it goes, if she sticks with it.
Old February 4th, 2009, 03:20 AM

No, but I will be looking for it.
Originally Posted by Eric Anderson
Chad I saw you read the millionaire next door, did you read the millionaire mind by the same author? If not check it out, good read.
Old February 5th, 2009, 04:14 PM

I hit 5 numbers once in the Ohio lottery, missed 16 million by 1 number, I had 32, winning number was 33. I was a thousandaire for about 3 days until I spent my loot on car parts. I have my health, NO debt, no mortgage, 2 classic cars and a Harley....I'm happy with that.
Old February 6th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Captain of my ship

Unhappy just missed

Too bad about missing that 1 number but it may have been a blessing . I knew a guy that ran a small store and he hit the jackpot worth 12 million , he was 50'ish married with two kids that he could now afford to put through college. He wanted to continue running his small buisness because he really enjoyed dealing with the public and his loyal customers. The lotto company here has a clause that you must be made public with your win , photos -name-and where you live , work and what you do so basically all your neighbors , freinds and family know you are rich. he was hounded so much from people coming out of the woodwork that he ended up giving the buisness to a family member , selling his house and moving out of the community , destination unknown. Too bad cause he was a nice guy and just wanted to live his simple life but found that impossible after hitting the jackpot. I hope he found the peace he deserves where ever he is.
Old February 6th, 2009, 05:14 AM

I would reccomend 2 books.

"The Wealthy Barber" which deals a good bit with the time value of $$

And "Think and Grow Rich" by Napleon Hill [may be out of print and hard to find]
Old February 6th, 2009, 05:22 AM

http://www.thousanddollarprofits.com/67842

Norm
Old February 6th, 2009, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
That looked like a con job to me, didn't even check into it...did you do any diligence on this?
Old February 7th, 2009, 01:52 AM

This is an interesting subject and I agree that you would be hard pressed to have anyone come on here and say that they are in fact a millionaire - any millionaires I have seen have done it by starting a business, working 24/7, putting almost every penny they make back into the business, resisting the temptation to buy toys, etc., doing everything that makes most people uncomfortable, and they keep their debt as low as possible - it takes real commitment, discipine, and a great deal of sacrifice and I don't think just anyone has the tenacity to do it - one other interesting observation - I've seen a few self made millionaires, and none of the ones I've seen have ever read one single motivational book or listened to a single motivational tape - their drive and determination came from within!!
Old February 7th, 2009, 03:30 AM

Neither did the two that I know. Both of them tried to teach me when I was single young and stupid. They were raised or had the qualities that got them wealthy from early on. I think commitment and discipline are the two key qualities one needs to get rich. A little luck does not hurt, but it's not what makes a man/woman. The thing that corks me is the amount of hostility that the average Joe has against the rich. Yes some execs are ruthless ******, some are thieves, and they will get theirs. Most are people who have sacrificed for years to change their family tree, done the right things quietly, mindful of right and wrong, and have accepted the fact that they are and will be accountable for their actions. That has been thrown out the window, and now if our fearless leaders have their way those people are going to be punished with the thieves. Its a sad state of affairs.
Old February 7th, 2009, 05:40 AM

Excellent post csstrux - no truer words have been spoken!!

Quick Reply: Any Millionaires