The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

I think i am to old

Old April 15th, 2016, 06:58 AM

I think i am to old

Damn i am depressed. I am 60. I have been looking for a job since i got my diabetes under control. I was in the hospital june of 2014 with a blood sugar of 814. I didn't know i had a problem with diabetes but had been sick off and on for at least a year or more. I have been puting out resumes for all of 2015 and this year to date. I am at a loss what to do next. I am a highly skilled aircraft interior mech,heavy structure,light structure,and repair 36 years. I have no power plant. I just had to vent a little.Neeley
Old April 15th, 2016, 07:03 AM
Administrator

Sorry about your health issues. Have you thought about contracting? I did it back in the 80's when I worked in the aircraft industry. You may have to travel, but the pay and per diem used to be very good. There are recruiters specifically for this.
Old April 15th, 2016, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Sorry about your health issues. Have you thought about contracting? I did it back in the 80's when I worked in the aircraft industry. You may have to travel, but the pay and per diem used to be very good. There are recruiters specifically for this.
Eric i have thought about contracting. I can not see my way clear. My 81 year old dad is in poor health and has memory problems. My older brother will not help at all. Their is no one else left to care for him. My step mom passed 4 years ago. So i need to stay close. I live 40 miles from him and i go and check on him weekly and phone him. I take him to all doctor appointments and pick him up to get his groceries every week. He is no longer able to drive.
Old April 15th, 2016, 08:13 AM
Hookers under Hood

Sorry about you job status as well as health issues, Its a tough economy at the moment, has been for years now.
Eric, makes a good point about contracting you skills out, reach out to headhunters in the industry. Contracting has its benefits. Register a small business in your name and incorporated yourself.
I hope things turn around , you have alot to offer with your skills.
Wishing you and your Family all the best during these trying times.

Eric
Old April 15th, 2016, 08:18 AM
same but different

I lost my job awhile back. The timing is never good but on the bright side it has allowed me to be available for my elderly parents. For me it hasn't been too bad. I have other income.

I'm coming around to the mind set that I might not ever get back to my previous wages, nor be able to use my past experience from my field.

I keep telling my self, "It'll be allright".

And it has. Tomorrow is a good day.

Good luck and take care of yourself.
Old April 15th, 2016, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by wr1970
Damn i am depressed. I am 60. I have been looking for a job since i got my diabetes under control. I was in the hospital june of 2014 with a blood sugar of 814. I didn't know i had a problem with diabetes but had been sick off and on for at least a year or more. I have been puting out resumes for all of 2015 and this year to date. I am at a loss what to do next. I am a highly skilled aircraft interior mech,heavy structure,light structure,and repair 36 years. I have no power plant. I just had to vent a little.Neeley
Some would say your not old enough yet. I personally look forward to getting a little older yet😜 After years of taking care of business and others I never really took care of me. I found that just taking the time for taking care of myself was easier said than done. Start with some good music and go for a good walk.. Even if it's a short one, progress it everyday longer and longer. You will start to feel better and have more energy . It's a start towards a brighter day. Venting was a good start! All the best to you my Oldsmobile brother!
Old April 15th, 2016, 01:57 PM
Hookers under Hood

RROLDSX makes a great point about music and walks, especially since the nice weather is here.
Perhaps cleaning/tinkering with your Olds would help some with your music playing.

I agree venting was a good start and brighter days and good employment are coming your way very soon.

So may guys here in which you have helped will be here to keep your days brighter.
Old April 15th, 2016, 04:49 PM

Thanks guys the kind words and support helps. I do love my Oldsmobile's. Been porting a set of E heads thanks to Dave the cutlass freak thread on porting. My next job is to temp mate my 65 GTO body back to the frame so i can do some body work. I may make a body dolly but the chassis would allow me to move from my detached to the attached garage. Again thanks guys.
Old April 15th, 2016, 11:13 PM
Senior Moment Member

Ever since Oblome got into office all my friends are hanging their heads. His policies are finally taking hold. And that ain't a good thing. When was the last time you heard anyone say, "We're expanding! Are you or your friends looking for a good paying job?" Yeah, that's what I thought. it's time for a change.
Old April 16th, 2016, 04:33 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Sixty's not old anymore, but don't try to tell that to anyone hiring for a job - for some reason, employers would prefer untrained, unreliable young people to highly skilled, experienced people who are guaranteed to show up on time every day, and it seems like the only one who suffers is the one looking for work.

I've got no brilliant solution, but you may wish to consider whether your specialized skills may also be useful in a slightly different field, and especially to look into whether there are any smaller businesses hiring for such things, rather than businesses with "HR departments" - if the guy who hires you actually works for a living, he may be better able to appreciate your skills.

Good luck, and don't let it get you down! You're doing the right thing for your dad.

- Eric
Old April 17th, 2016, 06:13 AM

Crap it is official. I am done stick a fork in me. I went to a good friends daughters wedding.The daughter is thirty lost her husband in the service right after they were married road side bomb. So this is husband #2 and a serviceman in the army. They had a dance for all couples and eliminated down to longest married. The wife and i were last ones 40 years. Now i really feel old. I am still young enough to do lots of things.
Old April 17th, 2016, 07:38 AM

Crap it is official. I am done stick a fork in me. I went to a good friends daughters wedding.The daughter is thirty lost her husband in the service right after they were married road side bomb. So this is husband #2 and a serviceman in the army. They had a dance for all couples and eliminated down to longest married. The wife and i were last ones 40 years. Now i really feel old. I am still young enough to do lots of things.
Congrats, you must be doing something good to be married for forty years! I've only been married 38 years. But then I'm a lot younger than you
Old April 17th, 2016, 08:26 AM
Olds Fever

Crap it is official. I am done stick a fork in me............. The wife and i were last ones 40 years. Now i really feel old. I am still young enough to do lots of things.
Well that might make me burnt toast... Might taste bad sometimes, but it's sustainable... 48 years with the same person, married 45 of them... Never been a dull moment... My philosophy is to stay active, to stay alive...
Old April 17th, 2016, 09:44 AM

It's as wrong to assume young people are unskilled and lazy and won't show up on time as it is to assume that old people are just going to work to 65, have health problems, and are technically illiterate. Both cut people hard.

Ageism is hard to fight. If someone is 60, how many more years will they work? Does a company want to bet on that? On the other hand, if they don't treat their people well, people may leave on their own after five years.

I know that things that hurt people in job searches are: other commitments, wrong skill sets, and inability to relocate. It used to be thought that other skill sets were not a bad thing, but now they are seen as "oh, he will want too much money."

Networking is where it's at. Very few people can cold pull a job anymore if they currently don't have one.

We have a former aircraft tech as one of our project maintenance techs. He's a good man, and my friend.
Old April 18th, 2016, 02:11 AM

sorry about your health issues. It might be difficult at this age, but if you persist for long enough, you may just do it. My grandfather is about 80 and he just retired last year. sooo.. a lot of scope for you.
Old April 18th, 2016, 07:36 AM

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.
Old April 18th, 2016, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Wow 40 years... I told my wife of 37 years that even convicted felons get off at 25, and that's when the fight started.
Old April 18th, 2016, 07:49 AM

You can tell when you're old when hair grows on parts of your body that you didnt expect to grow.
Old April 18th, 2016, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by ELY442
You can tell when you're old when hair grows on parts of your body that you didnt expect to grow.

Yea but it comes out as white as snow and can hide almost anywhere.... Tedd
Old April 18th, 2016, 02:32 PM

Your just a kid yet. Start looking forward not back. I am 70 and just work part time now but had to start over 3 times from scratch. Sure its hard, but you can do it. Just moved to a new state where it costs less to live. Bought a house and almost done building my shop. Restoring two cars and still looking forward. I never think of myself as old (well maybe when I can't lift as much as I once did) just looking for the next thing to do.

Good luck with your future
Old May 31st, 2016, 05:32 AM

I would like to thank all who replied to this thread. I still have no job but i am staying busy. I am trying not to think about no job and hope something pops up. Drag racing has not happened since 2013. This was something i loved but is on hold because no cash.I wish for everyone to have a nice day.
Old May 31st, 2016, 07:01 AM

I know people make a lot of money polishing. You can polish cars, motorhomes, brass beds, you name it. Set aside one job for drag racing money. I was estimated $1200 for a brass bed. I was happy when the only other guy in town quoted me $350. Took him 3 1/2 hrs. That's good money. I paid a Mexican fella down in San Diego $375 to wash and wax my M/H. Took him 3 1/2 hrs (he was fast with the power polisher). He under bid his 4 other competitors by $125. I bet none of these guys pays tax on most of their income. There is
still money to be made out there.
Old June 18th, 2018, 02:12 PM

I am to old! Pulled the plug and filed for ss. I should start getting my checks this month. I am also working on my bucket list drag car. My how time flies.lol
Old June 18th, 2018, 03:34 PM
Olds Fever

Congrats on getting some of your government funding back into your own pocket... Not so much congrats on the "OLD" part... Now just wait until you're 65 and Medicare wants to jump in and take a piece of it back...
Old June 18th, 2018, 04:16 PM

Congrats... as long as you can pay the bills and do what you wanted to in retirement. In the last year jobs are opening up all over the place here, good paying jobs. But I retired early and am loving it. Having the free time to work on projects I'd been daydreaming about for years. Yes, if you can meet your financial goals retirement is a great thing.

John
Old June 18th, 2018, 06:56 PM
Hookers under Hood

That's great news, Put-er-ther !
I hope you have an enjoyable retirement and fulfil all your bucket list picks, two at a time haha.

Eric
Old June 18th, 2018, 11:43 PM

Been married for 48 years now and fight more now than ever but no marks just words. I'm 70 now too and my arms look like hell all beat up from hitting walls cars ect. Just had eye injections and one eye the doc. hit a vain and looks like pink eye. I still don't have my regular driving lic. till I get glasses in July. Then maybe pass my eye test. I had my A1C at 12 now is 5.2 so got that under control. But my feet are all over the place just didn't take care when I should of. Get your blood sugar under control. You must make it 2 more years then SS kicks in. Wife and I are thinking of Reverse Mortgage getting rid of the house payment of $1,000.... Good day.
Gerald

Last edited by Gerald Nickels; June 18th, 2018 at 11:46 PM.
Old June 19th, 2018, 06:45 AM

Glad you are able to get SS. You are not old, it's technology of today. My wife recently went through a similar problem finding a job. Last year my work sent me to Hawaii for 2 weeks and she had to quit her job, cause they would not let her take 2 weeks off in a row. She was having a heck of time finding a job until she read an article online. The article stated that a lot of companies use software to scan resumes for positions they have available. She updated her resume to include more "keywords" and bingo she had a job offer in only a few days.

Funny how just a couple words would include you or exclude you from being "qualified" for a job.

John
Old June 19th, 2018, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Wow 40 years... I told my wife of 37 years that even convicted felons get off at 25, and that's when the fight started.
Eric - I like that one! I'll have to tell the old lady I need time off! It's been 30 years for us.

John
Old June 19th, 2018, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by friesjh
Eric - I like that one! I'll have to tell the old lady I need time off! It's been 30 years for us.

John
LOL, I've said that to my wife before, we've known each other 35 yrs, been together 30, married 27. I could have offed her and been out sooner. All kidding she's probably the only reason I"m still around. I've been known to be a little reckless in my younger years and she kept me in check, Ha
Old June 19th, 2018, 01:41 PM

Good Luck. I am turning 62. Done dirty work most of my life. Heath is telling me I cannot do the dirty grimy work any more, but am lucky enough to have retired at 51 due to the place I worked for 31 years and living my life frugally. Making major changes now, getting away from the things I liked for all these years and moving to new things.
Married for the third and last time ten years ago.
Age forces change, and those that cannot adapt cannot survive.
Old July 7th, 2018, 07:11 PM

Here's one for the long married. If you'd killed her when you first thought about it, you'd be gettin' out about now.
Old August 4th, 2018, 07:27 AM

My 16 year old grandson put more fire back into me! Grandpa teach me to work on engines and I want to drag race your car! What can I say but okay let's do it.
Old August 4th, 2018, 07:39 AM

If you fall down and people laugh, you're not old, If they rush to help you up.............you are
Old August 4th, 2018, 08:17 AM

My idea is if you saw it when you were 14 sitting in Pristow's Oldsmobile in Windber, Pa. and Dad said Mom won't drive a four speed and they came home with a 65 Cutlass Holiday and it was stolen(never got it back) and the 70 442 (top of the attached photo) burned up in a fire then you kill two birds with one stone. Mom and Dad are gone now. I'm 66 and creating the car I wanted (65 442); Dad bought the 70 442.) as close as I can and then some. I just drive on!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC01595.JPG (640.3 KB, 35 views)
Old August 4th, 2018, 10:01 AM

Very nice. Good car, nice garage. Pin up girl should be a little more naked, but that's my only beef!
Old September 8th, 2018, 04:08 AM
car nut farmer

nice