The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Alcohol and Smoke

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2009, 02:20 PM

Alcohol and Smoke

No, I'm not talking about going to the drag-strip.

I noticed 71Rocket and a few others mentioned in another post that they smoke cigars. Who smokes? In addition, what type of alcohol do you enjoy?

I enjoy an occassional cigar (2 or 3 a week). I just bought a mixed box of cigars from my local tobacco shop last weekend. I have a small table top humidor made by Savoy that holds about 25 or 30 cigars. My favorite cigars are the Arturo Fuente Canones, the La Aroma De Cuba Robusto, the CAO America, and the Arganese Conneticut Ambassador.

I enjoy beers like Dundee's Honey Wheat (in the fridge right now), Boulevard Wheat, Blue Moon Belgian Wheat, and MGD (if I can't get anything better). I will also occassionaly purchase cognac to sip while I smoke a cigar.
Old January 27th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Registered car nut

Love a cigar now and then . Not a regular smoker(2-3 year) so I dont recall the ones I like or dislike .
Love a good beer Mac and Jack African amber Manny's pale ale
My beer taste are always changing so my favorite this week may not be next week . Fun trying new stuff.
I drink only 1 or 2 (hate being drunk) so I am cheap too keep.
Old January 27th, 2009, 03:16 PM

Don't smoke...won't ever again...can't.

Guinness is good.
Bailie's Irish cream

Other than that foo foo water usually
Old January 27th, 2009, 03:27 PM

Right now I only smoke exhaust fumes, and i sure miss the smell of leaded...

I love all sorts of alky though...

Favorite everyday beer is Keystone Ice (6%). I like premium pale and blonde ales, but no real favorite at this point (I like them all)...

Most wines are okay with dinner in the winter. I had a cranberry wine with Christmas dinner that was excellent.
I also savored the Pennsylvania Dutch egg nog then, which I finished in a few days.

For harder liqueurs, I drink Irish cream by the gallons. I use it in my morning coffee, over ice cream, other mixed drinks, or straight from the bottle. Whenever I am out cruising in the country, I will pick up a couple 1.5 litre bottles because it is cheaper out there. Kaluah works in a pinch though...

For a good Tequila straight from the bottle, I like Agavero, straight from Mexico! My neighbor has his construction workers bring back several bottles a year. This is the only Tequila that I can down 8 shots on an empty stomach and not hurl (as if I really want to do that again...) Good quality stuff make a difference.
El Jimador is another good Tequila which is okay straight.

Disaranno Amaretto is another great-from-the-bottle liqueur that I enjoy...

I am always open to new stuff though. Many are long-term keepers!
I bet I sound like a drunk now...

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; January 27th, 2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old January 27th, 2009, 03:28 PM

Good single malt scotch Aberlour medium price 12 year old several others
Bushmills Irish Wisky
Eagle Rare Single Barrel Kentucky Straight Burbon Wiskey

Refrigerator beer Coronna, Negra Modelo, Like most dark and malty beers

Thirsty after all this talk need to crack open a beer.

I have a refer just for beer and wine coolers for the wifey
Old January 27th, 2009, 03:38 PM

bad stuff

I smoke cigs and the occasional cigar, I like monte cristos ( when I am traveling outside the us) and italian antiguas ( more of a cheroot) I smoke merit cigs, and funny enough I like smoking a pipe ( tobacco)

I like bourbon and beer, bourbon should be in small glasses beer in big ones, I like german weiss beer with lemon, I also like carlsburg elephant if I am sipping coors light for everyday.. I also like italian locorotondo white wine, or something called primitivo in italy it is local freah wine, and I have also been known to indulge in aquavit ( linea) around christmas time.
Old January 27th, 2009, 04:04 PM

Don't care for smoking, but like the smell of a nice cherry blend pipe tobacco. Living in western PA you have to like Iron City(lite) and I like Rolling Rock.
Old January 27th, 2009, 04:06 PM

Gave up smoking cigarettes two years ago, but still enjoy the odd Cuban cigar. Lots of choice up here in Canada.

Beverage-wise, I'm a homebrewer, so I drink lots of beer.

I like wine, Scotch, and gin also, but the good stuff is expensive. But then again, I have 15 gallons of beer in my fridge, so there's always something good to drink!

-Justin
Old January 27th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Senior Moment

I quit smokin cigarettes 10 years ago..

OK you snobs it's time for the blue collars to stand up proud!!

Beer: Bud Light Cans ice cold, I'll have bottles or draft if I'm in a bar.. Kegs on ice on a summer weekend. Never did develop a taste for the heavy or hoppy beers..

Other, in no particular order: Jagermeister served ice cold, Jim Beam straight up, 1800, Capt Morgan and Ginger Ale in a tall glass with ice.. nice

Smoke: Black and Mild wine flavered little cigars
Old January 27th, 2009, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jokers69
I quit smokin cigarettes 10 years ago..

OK you snobs it's time for the blue collars to stand up proud!!

Beer: Bud Light Cans ice cold, I'll have bottles or draft if I'm in a bar.. Kegs on ice on a summer weekend. Never did develop a taste for the heavy or hoppy beers..

Other, in no particular order: Jagermeister served ice cold, Jim Beam straight up, 1800, Capt Morgan and Ginger Ale in a tall glass with ice.. nice

Smoke: Black and Mild wine flavered little cigars
Congrats, 9 years for me. As for the drink, it happens so rarely that I can afford to get uppity about it...still have one bottle of Guinness in the fridge from a 6 pack bought in October. The pains, or advantages of driving a truck for a living
Old January 27th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I used to enjoy a good cigar but really never do it anymore. To me, it is nothing like a good Cuban. I have a humidor but never stock it. I have travelled the country a good but and always try one or two of the local/regional brews. I enjoy the micro breweries when they are available. Occassionaly I try other brews at home and somehow always come back to Miller Lite. I first drank it in 1974 when it came on the market. I only have one when it get in from the office. Sometimes maybe two. I have to have one when I am cooking outside.

Jack Daniels is my drink of choice. If I call my wife and tell her it is going to be a Jack Daniels night, she knows it was a tough day at the office or traffic was a ballbuster. Jack Daniels SIngle Barrell gives new meaning to Tennesse Sipping Whiskey. It is expensive and I usually only drink it with a special friend. It would go great with a good cigar. Why don't some of you guys through out some comments about the difference in whiskey and bourbon (which is also whiskey).

Last thing. Any of you who have seen Gran Torino (best movie I have seen in a long time) will notice Clint Eastwood (Norm) is drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR). He is also wearing white socks. I know some of you have heard the old country song "Rednecks, White Socks and Blue Ribbon Beer". I chuckled when I saw it.

Now I am done with what is probablby the longest post ever for me.
Old January 27th, 2009, 05:31 PM

My grand father drank pbr, then old Milwaukee, don't know what he brinks any more. What is the difference between whiskey, and bourbon? Not much of a connoisseur, but an curious.
Old January 27th, 2009, 05:40 PM

For a beer, I enjoy Guinness, Rolling Rock & will experiment w/ whatever appeals at the time.
Hard stuff I like Bushmills Black on ice or Jack on ice. Have tried several others but have pretty much settled on these.
With a drink I'll have a mild cigar, no particular brand, I've been trying different ones recommended at the smoke shop.
Old January 27th, 2009, 07:04 PM

Interesting to hear everyone's particular taste. It is cool that there are so many different likes and dislikes yet we all go crazy over Oldsmobiles. Kudos to those of you who have been able to quit smoking.
Old January 27th, 2009, 07:51 PM

Smile

I have to say I like the Belgian ales, particularly Chimay. Great stuff. 7-9% alcohol, depending on the variety. A little pricey though. I also like all types of microbrews, particularly the heavily hopped ones.

Since someone mentioned blue collar--the beer in my fridge right now is none other than "The Beer That Made Milwaukee Famous". That's right, Schlitz is back on the market in limited release--made with the old recipe. Tastes like I remember it from my childhood, since that is all my dad and his friends drank back then, at least until they changed the recipe in the early to mid 70's. It's made by the same people who own PBR and brought it back a few years ago.
Old January 27th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Okay csstrux. Bourbon is made from corn and almost 100% of it is distilled in Kentucky. It got it's name from Bourbon County. Whiskey is made from grain which includes many types such a barley or rye. Cameo White mentioned the original recipe for Schlitz. I hope I can find some since I think it was the first beer I ever drank.

Nobody mentioned the worst beer they ever drank. I remember mine to this day. Hey Mable, Black Label. I was in Viet Nam in 1969-70. Beer was rationed and you could only buy about 3-4 cases a month. Regular beer was $2.40/case and Bud was $3.00/case. We drank whatever the BX had and experienced beers from other parts of the country. Did drank a lot of Schlitz and was the first place I ever drank Hamm's. For about two weeks all they had was Carlen's Black Label. That stuff was so bad that GI's were trying to give it away. That is bad.
Old January 27th, 2009, 10:19 PM

The worst beer I have ever drank was Steel Reserve. I am not even sure if that is beer, it might be a malt beverage but I am not sure. That stuff leaves the most disgusting aftertaste in your mouth. It makes Natural Light sound good.

As for beer I like, usually Budweiser. I will drink any other kind of beer unless it is dark, I hate that. I also love going to this local micro-brewery by me. They have some good tasting beer, and they all have a decent amount of alcohol content. I think their strongest one has around 11%. As for hard stuff, I usually get straight Jack or Jager. At a bar by me, a bar tender came up with a really good pb&j shot that tastes just like the real thing. I wish I new what was in that.
Old January 27th, 2009, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by dan2286
The worst beer I have ever drank was Steel Reserve. I am not even sure if that is beer, it might be a malt beverage but I am not sure. That stuff leaves the most disgusting aftertaste in your mouth. It makes Natural Light sound good.
Lol That funny Natural Light is pretty much the beer of choice between me and all my friends. I guess that you just start to love it after playing beer pong with it every night for 3 weeks straight.

For the hard stuff Captain Morgan. I love that stuff.
Old January 28th, 2009, 04:20 AM

The worst beer I ever had was a 40 oz. Elephant Beer. I had it when I was in Stuttgart Germany waiting to start working in Alfdorf. My roomate must have liked it though, he got hammered. I just drank a little bit and threw out the rest. It was NASTY!

One of the worst cigars I have had is a Primos Robusto. I bought it up in KCMO. I lit it and took a couple of puffs and threw the rest out. I was only a three dollar cigar. No wonder why!
Old January 28th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Okay csstrux. Bourbon is made from corn and almost 100% of it is distilled in Kentucky. It got it's name from Bourbon County. Whiskey is made from grain which includes many types such a barley or rye. Cameo White mentioned the original recipe for Schlitz. I hope I can find some since I think it was the first beer I ever drank.

Nobody mentioned the worst beer they ever drank. I remember mine to this day. Hey Mable, Black Label. I was in Viet Nam in 1969-70. Beer was rationed and you could only buy about 3-4 cases a month. Regular beer was $2.40/case and Bud was $3.00/case. We drank whatever the BX had and experienced beers from other parts of the country. Did drank a lot of Schlitz and was the first place I ever drank Hamm's. For about two weeks all they had was Carlen's Black Label. That stuff was so bad that GI's were trying to give it away. That is bad.
The song American pie has the line "The good old boys drinking whiskey and rye", My old man yells very time he hears that line and says it's stupid becuse rye is whiskey.

It was Carlings Black Label if it matters. It was brewed here and about the only thing you could get during WWII. In order to get a case of it you had to buy 3 cases of the 3.2/draft watered down beer and pay the same as the regular stuff which was expensive during the war. My dad says the 3.2 was horrible and people got really mad for being ripped off and wouldn't touch the stuff after that.

I've never smoked a cigar in my life.
I'm not a big beer drinker, the urban people like those big 40's for convenience while driving. I prefer the smaller 12 ounce bottle size in Conehead mass quantities.
Old January 28th, 2009, 05:43 AM

What's the Good Word?

What's the good word?

Thunderbird.

What's the price?

29 twice.
Old January 28th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Senior Moment

My Father, born in Quebec was a WWII vet and he drank Black Label.
There was always a case in the garage, he'd drink it with an egg cracked into the neck of the bottle..

Carling Black Label Canadian Style Beer is what the label said if I remember it right.
Old January 28th, 2009, 06:02 AM

The Carling Brewery in Atlanta also Brewed "Red Cap Ale"

Not a very PC add http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFPJo0rQ9X0
Old January 28th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Beer-
Coors regular (The high octane stuff)
Coors Light when I'm working on the car. If I break something It's usually broken pretty good, and the high octane Coors will get you before you finish the project.

Cigar-
Joya De Nicaragua Antano

Liquor-
Jagermeister
Black Haus
Old Granddad in a glass with 2 ice cubes
Kvint Suvorov and egg nog
Old January 28th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
The Carling Brewery in Atlanta also Brewed "Red Cap Ale"

Not a very PC add http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFPJo0rQ9X0

There's nothing wrong with that commercial, PC is ruining this country.
Old January 28th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Past Administrator

I like my cigars like I like my women, long and strong, which is how I like my beer too, long and strong.

CAO Brazilias

New Belgium 1554 or Fat Tire.

and, I like cognac with a smoke. Henessey is good.
Old January 28th, 2009, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
Beer-
Coors regular (The high octane stuff)

Old Granddad in a glass with 2 ice cubes
Ah yes, A little Colorado Koolaide on a hot day topped off with a flagon of OGD at 5:00
Old January 28th, 2009, 01:42 PM

Has any one tried either woodpecker, or woodchuck? used to love that stuff, back when I had the money to hang out at the local renfair feasting and wenching. Them were the days!
Old January 28th, 2009, 03:04 PM

Woodchuck is a brewery that makes an AWSOME hard apple cider.

My dad says the 3.2 was horrible and people got really mad for being ripped off and wouldn't touch the stuff after that.

Here in OK all they sell is 3.2% if it is cold. You have to go to the liquor store to buy real alcohol.
Old January 28th, 2009, 04:42 PM

love hard cider mmmm mmmm good slurp slurp t heee heee
Old January 28th, 2009, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Cameo White
Since someone mentioned blue collar--the beer in my fridge right now is none other than "The Beer That Made Milwaukee Famous". That's right, Schlitz is back on the market in limited release--made with the old recipe. Tastes like I remember it from my childhood, since that is all my dad and his friends drank back then, at least until they changed the recipe in the early to mid 70's. It's made by the same people who own PBR and brought it back a few years ago.
I was curious about this. They don't have it where I live (NYC, Phoenix), so I haven't been able to try it. Is it any good? I remember drinking the modern Schlitz when I was 18, and I think I remember it being pretty crappy. I don't mind PBR however.

Due to the incredible selection of beer we have to choose from these days between imports and microbrews, I wondered what I would have done back in the 60's? I'm not sure if I would have just drank scotch or whiskey or I would have acquired a taste for it.

I wish I could get a 6er of that original recipe Schlitz so I could have some idea of what it was like.

On the modern front, my favorite beer is Pilsner Urquell, although I'm a big fan of the British beers such as Fuller's London Pride, ESB, Young's ESB. I'm not sure if any of you has ever had Young's Double Chocolate Stout, but if you haven't chase down a can and try it out. It's pretty darn good.

Booze: I stick to scotch, mainly. I like Johnny Walker Black and Laphroaig. Oh, and I guess I do like me some Power's Irish Whiskey.

Smoke: None. Have had two collapsed lungs, and for some reason am severly allergic to smoke, so I don't partake. Really love the smell of pipe tobacco, however.
Old January 29th, 2009, 07:07 PM

Smile Schlitz

I don't know if I can define "good" for Schlitz. It does smell and taste like what I remember from stealing swigs when I was a 7 or 8 year old kid. It was a cheap lager back then, as popular or more popular than bud for a long time prior to the 70's. Has a little stronger taste than bud, I think, with a distinct aftertaste. Not so much something you drink to savor the flavor, but as a thirst quencher on a hot day, or while you're cooking on the grill.

It is only in a few (maybe half dozen) markets right now. They are hoping word of mouth makes enough demand to keep brewing it, the way things have gone for PBR. I haven't tried that since they brought it back, but I think it is only in cans? I have only seen Schlitz in long neck bottles. I get it at my local whole foods. I think Binny's and Sam's here in Chicago also have it. Maybe you can get it from their websites, or try the Schlitz website to see if it is anywhere near you?
Old January 30th, 2009, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by csstrux
My grand father drank pbr, then old Milwaukee, don't know what he brinks any more. What is the difference between whiskey, and bourbon? Not much of a connoisseur, but an curious.

bourbon is whiskey stored in the bourbon style which was kegs scorched inside to clean them gave it a smoky flavour...
Old January 30th, 2009, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by csstrux
Has any one tried either woodpecker, or woodchuck? used to love that stuff, back when I had the money to hang out at the local renfair feasting and wenching. Them were the days!
my wife is irish ( real irish from co kildare) her sister LIVES on cider and she likes woodpecker ( man that sounds so wrong)
my wife likes coors light now but she used to drink a "shandy" which is half regular beer and half lemon soda... too sweet for me..

ahhhhhhhh wenching... I burst out laughing haven't heard that expression in years now we are all just wrenching.... LOL
Old January 30th, 2009, 01:30 PM
ya'll come back now....

i love grey goose and cranberry...and of course the men everyone women love jim, jack and jose'..
Old January 30th, 2009, 02:37 PM

Alchol and smoke

Gave up smoke 27 years ago cought a elephant standing on my chest one nite and said now's the time,cold turkey .
SoCo is my drink or red wine with grape juice got to get those antioxitants .

rocwal
Dan B
Old January 30th, 2009, 04:31 PM

Wink alchol & smoke

Well I have to go get some more Busch beer & cigs b4 I can seriously reply to this post
Old January 30th, 2009, 05:22 PM

Im a light guy. Nothing but the best! Miller Light, and Camel light! And some THC from time to time. LOL
Old January 30th, 2009, 07:22 PM

Ah............. good friends standing around admiring or working on each other Olds, a cold beer, doesn't get any better then this Oh and make sure the pinups are on the garage wall to make you smile
Old January 31st, 2009, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
my wife is irish
Cool, my wife is "Black Irish" and the baby of nine.

Quick Reply: Alcohol and Smoke