The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Yesterday was dig out day

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2019, 12:13 PM

Yesterday was dig out day

I was scheduled for a front end alignment for the little car at a shop in Chico and of course it snowed 5 inches plus that morning. Now five inches isn't much for anything that is built for it but the for the Miata it's a bunch, snow tires and all ,Only had to go 60 yards to the plowed main road. Of course I got stuck in the driveway and it's all down hill but I still got stuck, twice. I finally got the Land cruiser out and made a road around the Miata which now was blocking the whole driveway and jerked it around till it pointed the correct way, not easy by one's self. It seems I'm always trying to do a job with the wrong tool to get anything done easily, Three 4x4's at the house and the one that needs attention is a flat lander's summer car. Oh yea got stuck trying to get back up the driveway on the way home, reminds me of my youth and my Bug Eye Sprite days except it was easier to dig out back then......Tedd
Old February 6th, 2019, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Face it Ted your a masochist.
Old February 6th, 2019, 02:41 PM
Olds Fever

Well they do usually say "no pain no gain" or "No rest for the weary"... It's really all about trying to keep you active under any circumstances... You will overcome, as is evident by returning home with a completed front alignment...
Old February 6th, 2019, 02:45 PM

I just got a dusting of snow at my place. As long as you don't have to go out in it very much it would be nice to see a good snowpack and Lake Shasta full again. Digging out, putting on chains, thing like that were so much simpler when we were kids!
Old February 6th, 2019, 05:00 PM

Don't feel so bad. Years ago I got stuck in my dad's driveway in my Dakota R/T. The driveway was flat as a billiard table, just covered with snow on top of ice. All it took was a little wheel spin to carve 2 ruts that kept the rear tires from going anywhere. Had to call my brother in law who lived a few blocks away to push me out of the ruts and get me going again. Man, that truck really sucked in the winter. I never got stuck in such a spot that looked like there was no way to get stuck.

Last edited by JohnnyBs68S; February 6th, 2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old February 6th, 2019, 09:30 PM

At least in Dallas area, we don't have to shovel heat. close to 80 deg today.
Old February 7th, 2019, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs68S
Don't feel so bad. Years ago I got stuck in my dad's driveway in my Dakota R/T. The driveway was flat as a billiard table, just covered with snow on top of ice. All it took was a little wheel spin to carve 2 ruts that kept the rear tires from going anywhere. Had to call my brother in law who lived a few blocks away to push me out of the ruts and get me going again. Man, that truck really sucked in the winter. I never got stuck in such a spot that looked like there was no way to get stuck.
I could get stuck on flat ground with the Miata by spreading a bag of popcorn on the ground, pop[ed or not. Still a fun car though.....Stuck in the fifties .... Tedd
Old February 8th, 2019, 11:23 AM

Get stuck on wet grass, eh?
Old February 25th, 2019, 09:48 AM

Storm a coming!

Tedd, I hope you got a good stash of food and firewood. It sounds like your part of the state is going to get hammered! Up to eight feet of snow forecasted in NorCal.

https://activenorcal.com/historic-fe...Zgyxbp-4hfJJp8
Old February 25th, 2019, 10:54 AM
delete

On LI we've had it easy so far. A couple inconsequential inches followed up by a warm day or two. I don't think they've even salted the roads by me yet. Upstate has had it pretty rough so we've been lucky.
Old February 25th, 2019, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by droptopron
Upstate has had it pretty rough
Not really. It's been a normal winter here. Not much lake effect and definitely a little warmer than usual
Old February 25th, 2019, 04:32 PM

It has been raining hard all day which is good, water runs down hill. The temp has been hovering around 35 degrees and it just started to snow/ slush about a hour ago. If it was 2 degrees colder earlier we would for sure have a couple of feet at my elevation by now. In all snow has been a minor pain in the *** this year all things considered. I have had over 4 feet in the past and when that happens no 4x4 moves unless it has tracks. We have what is called Sierra cement and it is much different and wetter than the snow I get on the Eastern slope near Nevada where you can push 2 feet ahead of your 4x4 with ease. We will see, forecast is for about 4 days of this stuff, could be bad, could be good depends on that 2-3 degrees of temp. Time will tell I still like the mountains and the four seasons and some of the challenges it brings...... Tedd
Old February 26th, 2019, 06:47 AM
delete

Originally Posted by allyolds68
Not really. It's been a normal winter here. Not much lake effect and definitely a little warmer than usual
That's interesting. I have friends a hour or hour & a half north of the City (Poughkipsie area) and they have had it pretty rough this year.
Old February 26th, 2019, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
It has been raining hard all day which is good, water runs down hill. The temp has been hovering around 35 degrees and it just started to snow/ slush about a hour ago. If it was 2 degrees colder earlier we would for sure have a couple of feet at my elevation by now. In all snow has been a minor pain in the *** this year all things considered. I have had over 4 feet in the past and when that happens no 4x4 moves unless it has tracks. We have what is called Sierra cement and it is much different and wetter than the snow I get on the Eastern slope near Nevada where you can push 2 feet ahead of your 4x4 with ease. We will see, forecast is for about 4 days of this stuff, could be bad, could be good depends on that 2-3 degrees of temp. Time will tell I still like the mountains and the four seasons and some of the challenges it brings...... Tedd
Tedd, I spent a lot of years living at Forest Service ranger stations and loved most of it. I will always remember the day I was sipping coffee on the front porch and heard an Elk bugle in the distance. But there are challenges this time of the year for those living in the sticks. I guess I didn't need to make the comment about being prepared. I'm sure you do have a full woodshed and enough food to stay put a few days if need be. John
Old February 26th, 2019, 11:10 AM

John, I'll be fine as long as the juice stays on, no juice, no water, no water toilet wont flush, ladies get nervous, no fun anymore...... Tedd