The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Western wildfires

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2021, 07:16 PM
Oldsdruid

Western wildfires

Haven't heard anyone say if the western fires are affecting them. Hopefully not.

They are affecting us here in mid Atlantic. The last few days have been really hazy, moreso than our normal late summer haze, and sunrise and set have been really brilliant oranges and pinks. Jetstream has moved a bit north so late today the air returned to reasonably clear.

Amazing how weather or geologic events other side of the country (or world) can affect another part of it. Think Tambora in 1815 and Krakatau in 1883.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 10:09 PM
Banned

Oh my goodness. We are burning up here in Colorado more than they talk about. We are paying the price for last year's fires with the rain out here. All the burnt areas repel water. When fires happen it cooks the ground. The soil cannot absorb the moisture. The heat transforms the soil. We have had so many mudslides etc. We are seeing all the smoke from Oregon fires too. I saw that the smoke is all the way into New York now. Pray for all.
Old July 23rd, 2021, 02:07 PM

Its another bad summer in Oregon. The biggest fire is about 400,000 acres now. The weather pattern has pushed the smoke to the East most days, I live to the West. One day the fire actually created a thunderstorm with lightening. The moisture in the smoke condenses when it gets high enough. Last summer my neighborhood was evacuated twice. But so far so good this year. I have been clearing shrubs from around the garage and house to reduce the risk if we do have another wildfire move from the forest into the neighborhood.
Old July 23rd, 2021, 02:27 PM

Northern Ontario fires had smoke drifting into Southern Ontario last weekend. I originally thought it had come from BC, but then I learned better. Pretty sunsets.
Old July 25th, 2021, 07:31 AM

From my back deck a few days ago the Dixie fire. Getting closer but still a few miles away. The next town near me received their evacuation noticed yesterday. I'm thinking I'll be OK as long as the wind is from the South. So smoky I can't see that first ridge today..... Tedd
Old July 26th, 2021, 05:58 PM

Still here, still OK so far. Fire is a little closer but there is talk about higher winds and possible thunderstorms created from the heat from the fire, don't need that... As I have said three days in a row I'll know more tomorrow..... Tedd
Old July 26th, 2021, 07:21 PM
Oldsdruid

Tedd, I hope you're spared this time.
Old July 26th, 2021, 07:26 PM

Just saw the evening weather on TV and the low pressure system that brought rain to AZ is headed westward to CA so hopefully y’all will get some rain to dampen those wildfires.

We got enough rain that the forests are open again with reduced fire restrictions.
Old July 27th, 2021, 05:09 PM

A little rain today, not much but any is wonderful. Had to cover the rag top cars just in case it really rained. This should help the fire fighters get a hold of the issue, hopefully the town of Chester will be saved, many friends there.....Tedd
Old July 28th, 2021, 05:54 PM

She is still burning, a little closer now. I still think I'll be OK same old serrano as long as the wind blows from the South West. As usual I'll most likely know more tomorrow.... Tedd
Old August 5th, 2021, 04:17 PM

Fire Still getting closer, the town of Chester is threatened and the little town of Greenville went up in smoke. I just received a notice on my cell phone that the community of Concow is being evacuated now and is in serious danger. No good news today. South wind is still blowing smoke and fire to the North so my air quality is OK but things can change with the wind.... I'm I worried You bet.....Tedd
Old August 5th, 2021, 04:31 PM
Banned

Thoughts and prayers to you and yours Tedd. I so feel for anyone that gets caught by fire. Denver has the 7th worst air conditions in the world due to all the smoke blowing here.
Old August 5th, 2021, 08:42 PM

Praying for you Tedd. I'm sure you have your bug out kit packed although we don't want you to have to use it. Wind up here changed and is blowing from the North pushing things back your way. Keep us posted.

P.S. friend of mine lost his house last summer. He discovered his gun safe wasn't as fire proof as it needed it to be.

John
Old August 5th, 2021, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Praying for you Tedd. I'm sure you have your bug out kit packed although we don't want you to have to use it. Wind up here changed and is blowing from the North pushing things back your way. Keep us posted.

P.S. friend of mine lost his house last summer. He discovered his gun safe wasn't as fire proof as it needed it to be.

John
Yes, even the best safes can sometimes not be enough.
Old August 10th, 2021, 10:18 AM

I've been told a house fire can reach 2500 degrease and last for two hours at that temperature. That's more than enough to cook everything in even the best of gun safes.

The active part of the fire is North of me and I feel this house is safe ,like I've said many times before as long as there isn't any north wind. It is unusual and lucky that a North wind hasn't developed as it quite often happens this time of the year. The worry now is my summer home/cabin at Eagle Lake that is about 12- 14 miles from the Northern part of the fire. Hard to believe that this fire has burnt from a visual at my house to a visual from the cabin a distance of over two hours drive one way....Tedd
Old August 19th, 2021, 06:57 AM

Still here and the North wind did blow all night. The fire did advance towards my Eagle Lake property from two directions but two years ago we had a bad fire very near the cabin and it burnt up a lot of the fuel near it. That may help our situation in that area.

This fire has burned so much area that even with 6000 fire fighters they are stretched to the limit. Lucky it is a low populated area other wise it would be like the Camp Fire in Paradise with the losses of lives and business.... I'm keeping a eye on it....Tedd
Old August 19th, 2021, 10:23 AM

That is so hard to imagine. I really feel for you. Hopefully your cabin will escape harm.
Old August 24th, 2021, 01:47 PM
Banned

Thoughts are prayers for all of you. I so feel for people that become victims of fires. Last year during our wicked fires there was an older couple. They decided to go down with their house. Well they thought that their basement would be safe. Such a heartbreaking story.

2500 degrees for two hours. Wow.
Old August 25th, 2021, 07:49 AM

Even though the fire is only 40 some % contained I'm feeling optimistic about both my places. Others haven't been as lucky as I for the last three years, fire came as close as 200 years from my cabin while I was evacuated during the Camp fire and I didn't even know it was in danger because I was relocated and all my attention was addressed towards my home residence plus I was out of my commination loop.

It's gonna be strange going to the cabin and having to go through almost two hours of burnt trees. This fire probably be the death of the resort towns that depend on the out of town trade to survive .... Tedd
Old December 30th, 2021, 05:52 PM
Banned

Had to jump in here. I couldn't find the weather thread.
We have had unreal warm weather here in Colorado. I am deep in my fifties. Five generations deep here. We have Never seen this. It has been crazy warm. I said in previous thread that we will pay the price in the summer. I was way off. We have a crazy fire burning here. It has already taken 600 homes in two days. 600!! Keep your prayers up for Colorado people. It is December and we are that dry and burning to the ground already.
Old January 3rd, 2022, 08:43 AM

I just caught this late thread, hope it works out best for you. The news shows a very scary sight. You wouldn't think of fire problems in late December..Tedd
Old January 3rd, 2022, 09:43 AM
Banned

Thanks Tedd. Yes it got really bad really quick. 1000 homes businesses etc lost. Hundred mile an hour winds spread the fire so quickly. Terrible losses. Theory is that some kids started it. Worst fire in Colorado history as far as structural loss.

Like you said. Hard to believe we have fires like this in December. This state is going to be very bad come spring and summer. The lack of snow or any kind of moisture out here this year is something we have never seen. We literally got our first real snow New Year's Eve. That is so unheard of. Colorado will come back strong for these folks. People already lining up to help.
Old January 5th, 2022, 08:08 AM

I lived in Denver(Litton) for a couple of years in the late 60s Can't image Denver with no snow in December. Best of luck with your recovery.. Tedd