The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Thank God the Air Conditioner works....

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2009, 12:25 AM
...should get a life....

Thank God the Air Conditioner works....

111 degrees fahrenheit (44 deg celcius) here on Friday and again today. Happy to report that my freshly gassed air is working like a charm. Way too hot to put the top down...and it's not summer yet . Anyone up in the other hemisphere want to swap places for a while?
The car is on eBay down here, and on Carsales.com.au. Just seeing if I get any bites. I've decided to get another one. A fully restored, show ready car this time. It'll be my last. I'm over working on them...just want to drive 'em, enjoy 'em then put 'em away til next time. If I can't get a real nice '67 then I'll look for a '69-'70 442 convertible or tricked up clone. There have been a couple of nice ones advertised over there lately. Gotta sell this one first though and Olds isn't a big deal over here. Fingers crossed.Cold beer time !!!
Old November 22nd, 2009, 02:27 AM
Captain of my ship

Originally Posted by Col Wickham
111 degrees fahrenheit (44 deg celcius) here on Friday and again today. Happy to report that my freshly gassed air is working like a charm. Way too hot to put the top down...and it's not summer yet . Anyone up in the other hemisphere want to swap places for a while?
The car is on eBay down here, and on Carsales.com.au. Just seeing if I get any bites. I've decided to get another one. A fully restored, show ready car this time. It'll be my last. I'm over working on them...just want to drive 'em, enjoy 'em then put 'em away til next time. If I can't get a real nice '67 then I'll look for a '69-'70 442 convertible or tricked up clone. There have been a couple of nice ones advertised over there lately. Gotta sell this one first though and Olds isn't a big deal over here. Fingers crossed.Cold beer time !!!
Wow it has to be hot if you can't cruise with the top down. Too bad that wasn't the car you had hoped for but I am sure there is one out there somewhere. Good luck in selling the one you have , just have to make it sound like the car people are looking for. Highlight it's good points plus really good pictures may help. Good luck mate , with the heat too. I would take about 10-12 degrees C if I could.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 10:29 AM

That is hot , hang on I'll e-mail you some rain we have plenty here in the NW. Good luck on selling your present car and finding what you want. I am working on my last build after the 48 is done then like you I am just going to enjoy driving them.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 05:11 PM

I feel your pain Col. Just finished up 5 1/2 months of heat here in South Central Arizona. The hotterst I saw this year was 117 degrees F back in July and August. Could never use the sunroof. I find that it's not so much the heat as it is the intensity or brightness of the sun. Also you go out in it for ten minutes and you have a great tan. Be sure to wear a hat!
Old November 22nd, 2009, 05:22 PM
Cutlass Lover

I love Arizona!!! I'd trade places with you if I could.... I hate the cold!
Old November 22nd, 2009, 06:12 PM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by Dan Wirth
I feel your pain Col. Just finished up 5 1/2 months of heat here in South Central Arizona. The hotterst I saw this year was 117 degrees F back in July and August. Could never use the sunroof. I find that it's not so much the heat as it is the intensity or brightness of the sun. Also you go out in it for ten minutes and you have a great tan. Be sure to wear a hat!
I find the high 80s to be ideal for convertibling. Sun warms and the wind cools. When it's up in the 100s the wind is hot, the sun is scorching and like you said, the glare is intense (I don't wear sun glasses).
117 in Arizona is hot. We had that here in Sydney on New Years Day a couple of years ago.....and Sydney is on the coast. Railway lines buckled, roads melted and the power went out as every airconditioner and fan got switched to high. Happy New Year !
Out in Central Aust it gets into the 50s celcius..whatever that is . Doesn't bear thinking about. Not too many Oldsmobiles out there..... or people for that matter.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 01:17 AM

As the owner of a Triumph spitfire i allways take the p..s out of all the "real roadster" drivers who own luxery Madzda MX,BMW,Mercedes and other rubbish like those.The first raindrop makes them close their automatic convertible roofs.
My Spiti got an authentic manually operated simple skin.As the blatherskite that i am i NEVER needed it. Today we got 5° Celsius,fog and drizzle.Perfekt to show all the thumb-suckers the only way how a roadster has to be driven.
Our Olds is garaged for the winter as the other cars are as well.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 05:24 AM
Captain of my ship

I find the high 80s to be ideal for convertibling. Sun warms and the wind cools. When it's up in the 100s the wind is hot, the sun is scorching and like you said, the glare is intense (I don't wear sun glasses).
117 in Arizona is hot. We had that here in Sydney on New Years Day a couple of years ago.....and Sydney is on the coast. Railway lines buckled, roads melted and the power went out as every airconditioner and fan got switched to high. Happy New Year !
Out in Central Aust it gets into the 50s celcius..whatever that is . Doesn't bear thinking about. Not too many Oldsmobiles out there..... or people for that matter.
50 celcius is only around 132 farenheit Here it rarely get above 30 C but when it does it is hot because of so much humidity. All you have to do is stand outside and you start sweating. I lived on the Canadian prairies for 13 years and it would get above 40 C but I did not find it that hot cause it was dry dry dry. The sun was intense some days and you would burn real good.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 05:38 AM

Dang - sorry to hear about that nasty heat wave! Is this to be expected this time of year? Nice to know your A/C is working well though!
In Texas, we get to almost that hot every summer around August - was not too bad this year.
Yesterday was almost 70*F - made for fun tops down weather. After the sun went down, it got cooler quickly. Cool enough that Alice wanted the top up and the heated seat on...

Why don't you wear sunglasses? Over here they are sold year 'round, usually right by the checkout stands along with sunblock...
Old November 24th, 2009, 03:46 AM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Dang - sorry to hear about that nasty heat wave! Is this to be expected this time of year? Nice to know your A/C is working well though!
In Texas, we get to almost that hot every summer around August - was not too bad this year.
Yesterday was almost 70*F - made for fun tops down weather. After the sun went down, it got cooler quickly. Cool enough that Alice wanted the top up and the heated seat on...

Why don't you wear sunglasses? Over here they are sold year 'round, usually right by the checkout stands along with sunblock...
Not usually this hot in November Rob. Friday was the hottest Nov day in 30 years in Sydney. Was humid too....actually raining but it never cooled down. And sunglasses?...never could wear 'em.
If my Olds had sold already I would have bought a texas car. Sold on eBay yesterday for $26,500. Worked 455, dual gate & everything refurbished. A 442 clone (even has new red inner guards)..with air conditioning. Hopefully one as nice will come by when the time is right
Old November 24th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Captain of my ship

Not usually this hot in November Rob. Friday was the hottest Nov day in 30 years in Sydney. Was humid too....actually raining but it never cooled down. And sunglasses?...never could wear 'em.
If my Olds had sold already I would have bought a texas car. Sold on eBay yesterday for $26,500. Worked 455, dual gate & everything refurbished. A 442 clone (even has new red inner guards)..with air conditioning. Hopefully one as nice will come by when the time is right
I saw that one and was the best priced one of the half dozen 442's I looked at that were pretty much completely done. i liked this one.