The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Summer in Texas...

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2010, 08:05 AM

Rob: I'll give you another way you can tell it's hot in Texas: drive home from the OCA Nationals in Massachusetts to a house that is over 100 INSIDE, with the A/C system shut down due to a bad compressor (it was only 34 years old, not too bad, I don't think!). I mean it was really hot. Fortunately, we have a good friend that is in the business, and he was here the next day, and had a new one installed. Pretty good, for summer time in Texas, to get service that fast!
Old August 7th, 2010, 09:40 AM

Gotta agree your heat in Texas is something else when you throw in the humidity. Like standing in a steam bath only worse.
Old August 8th, 2010, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
The mental picture of cowboy boots, shorts, and a cowboy hat on Rob freezes my brain......can't..........think.........talk...... ...later.......
Hey, you should see me in bicycle pants!

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
Rob: I'll give you another way you can tell it's hot in Texas: drive home from the OCA Nationals in Massachusetts to a house that is over 100 INSIDE, with the A/C system shut down due to a bad compressor (it was only 34 years old, not too bad, I don't think!). I mean it was really hot. Fortunately, we have a good friend that is in the business, and he was here the next day, and had a new one installed. Pretty good, for summer time in Texas, to get service that fast!
That's gotta hurt in the wallet, too... It makes sense in TX to have an emergency window A/C unit available for situations like that so you can at least sleep. Target often sells them at half off in September. I benefitted from doing this 5 years ago.
I also learned when the unit dies, even in an emergency situation, always tell them that you want to change it BEFORE it dies. It saved me 400 bucks on the condenser alone.
34 years on a unit?? Dang good - what brand? They do not build them like that now.
I got only 8 years out of my homebuilder's cheapo. I replaced it with a Carrier, so hopefully i will not have to change it again.

Gotta agree your heat in Texas is something else when you throw in the humidity. Like standing in a steam bath only worse.
Exactly. The good part about the steam bath is that you can just walk out of it when you get sick of it.
I am getting cabin fever...
Old August 8th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I was here in 1980 and I have a pretty good tolerance for heat but it is starting to wear pretty thin. I am really tired of this triple digit stuff every day.
Old August 8th, 2010, 12:00 PM

Living here in England, what is that thing Sun you are talking about...I heard it something that stays above the clouds all year, and drips water on everything. Andy
Old August 8th, 2010, 01:26 PM

I was in England for three weeks several years ago. It was sunny for all but two days. Locals called it a heat wave high 60's low 70's
Old August 9th, 2010, 08:56 AM

What's up with this TX heat? I was in Killeen, TX for the past two weeks and it far surpassed "Tarzan of the jungle hot."
Old August 9th, 2010, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
I was in Killeen, TX for the past two weeks and it far surpassed "Tarzan of the jungle hot."
You could have done us a favor by taking it with you when you left...
Old August 9th, 2010, 02:34 PM

The first day my family moved out here (1977) it was 113 degrees...in September.

We have a saying here in Phoenix...
When 4 cars come to a 4x stop, which one has the right of way???
The one with the windows open.
He may shoot you.

The only road worse than I-10 from Phoenix to Tucson,
is The rest of I-10 to Texas.

I got cut off the other day, and when I hit the horn, I branded "GRANT" into my palm.

You know it's hot... when white men, Arabs, and Mexicans join the Indian folk in a rain dance.

We got our Monsoon season. Now we get 110 deg heat, and 65% humidity.
Only got rain twice. For a few minutes.
Love it.

That was some funny stuff you posted, I can relate!
Jim

Last edited by Warhead; August 9th, 2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old August 10th, 2010, 06:04 AM

Old August 10th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Cutlass Lover

I love summer!!! We'll be cold soon enough.
Old August 10th, 2010, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
I love summer!!! We'll be cold soon enough.
Say that around here and you better run! I heard of a guy playing a guitar at a train station getting flogged, cause he was singing "Sunshine on my Shoulders"...

I'll be happy to trade heaven with hell...
Southern summers are usually totally different than northern summers.
Looks like 100+ the next 10 days here, so I will be hibernating inside.
I must admit, i had a way 'cool' time yesterday replacing sprinkler heads in the yard, and adjusting the new ones with the system running!

Even swimming pools around here get so warm, that you jump in and wonder "where is that refreshing cool blast?"

My gas water heater gets turned off in the summer, and the heat in the garage keeps it more than warm enough for laundry and showers.

Several summers ago I dropped a toad into my pond in the back yard and he jumped out, fast! I dropped him in again, and he jumped out again. Too hot, eh??

There are a couple playgrounds in dallas that have to shut down during the summer becuase the play surfaces are metal and are considered severe burn risks.

I keep an emergency room A/C available in case it is needed. Life support as we know it...
Old August 17th, 2010, 01:07 PM

You're in TX when:

Your shifting house and yard breaks your gas main, and you know you will be without gas for a while, AND you say, "No problem - don't need it until December anyway!"

Yep - it happened to me yesterday...
That explains the smell we all had been pondering about the past week.
Note the crack in the fitting at the red arrow.
Blockheads who built the house should not have poured my patio slab surrounding the pipe! Patio moved about 1/2 an inch, shearing the pipe.

At least I have the gas line securely capped off with "Top Cork"!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
brokegasline.jpg (26.2 KB, 92 views)
Old August 17th, 2010, 01:12 PM

I will be vacationing in Austin the first week of September. The heat, bring it on!
Old August 17th, 2010, 02:39 PM

Oh, my Gawd! Another 100 degree in the big city. Just walked by the inside/outside thermometer amd it's 78.0 inside (w/the new outside compressor that actually cycles, i.e. goes on and off, occassionally - the old one didn't) and it's 106.2 in the back yard. Whew! I am really tired of the H-O-T, and I'm a native born Dallasite/Texan. It didn't used to bother me this much, when I was younger. All you want to do is stay inside. No A/C in the garage (YET, maybe?).
Old September 8th, 2010, 12:57 PM

The monsoon rains have come!

You know you are in northern TX when people HOPE for a hurricane or tropical storm, just to bring some much needed precip!

Well, we can stop hoping here in dallas, as Hermine flooded us well!
After 60 days of no little rain and temps of 98 or way beyond, the monsoon finally came. In about 24 hours, we got 5", most in a few hours... Other areas got up to 11"!

The street in front of my house turned into a river, swamping some yards half way to the houses.
Here, I watched that blue trash can come floating from an alley up the hill and down the street...

I was waiting for these two cars to start floating...

The ground swelled so much so fast that my workshop door shifted 1/4" and made the alarm contact break. All the underground drains were partially plugged, causing some yard flooding.

My neighbor's rain gauge overflowed, spilling out its little red float that indicates the level...

Geez - too bad that could not have been spread around over several weeks or so...
Attached Images
IMG_3318.jpg (49.6 KB, 79 views)
IMG_3314.jpg (66.1 KB, 78 views)
IMG_3304.jpg (74.4 KB, 78 views)
IMG_3324.jpg (76.3 KB, 79 views)
Old September 8th, 2010, 02:31 PM

Like a fool I was out in the CCRider headed to Fair Park to p/u the entry tickets for the State Fair of Texas Car Corral (which they didn't have ready!!!!!). Drove by downtown Dallas on elevated 75, and could not see the skyline, looking west, so much rain! I've never experienced anything like that in such a brief period of time. We live on a creek, and anxiously headed back home to check that the water had not rised 25 feet to get into the basement. All is OK, but WOW! Only in Texas! High today bout 78, by Saturday, back up to 98, but 98 sounds pretty good, next to those 107 days!
Old September 9th, 2010, 05:35 AM

Aron, I think you were lucky on the creek situation. Glad it was retained. You also had a tornado not too far away at around 630 or so. Our city ran the sirens, but luckily it all diminished quickly.
Just when i thought the rain was finally over, another inch fell overnight..............
Old September 9th, 2010, 10:52 AM

Isn't that called a light sprinkle in Texas, What happens when it really rains. My friend in Waxahachie had his 1 acre pond rise 2' overnight.
Old September 9th, 2010, 11:40 AM

Isn't that called a light sprinkle in Texas, What happens when it really rains. My friend in Waxahachie had his 1 acre pond rise 2' overnight.

Everything in Texas is bigger from what I hear. Knew of a blind man visiting Texas and went to the bathroom at the hotel but opened the wrong door and fell in the pool. He kept yelling "DON'T FLUSH, DON'T FLUSH!"
Old September 9th, 2010, 12:05 PM

I saw the twister on the news and thought about ya'll. Glad everyone is OK
Old September 9th, 2010, 06:13 PM

This has been one of the hottest summers on record in New England.

We had 41 days over 90....the average is 13.

We even had a 100 degree day, first one in 9 years.
Old September 10th, 2010, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by My442
This has been one of the hottest summers on record in New England.

We had 41 days over 90....the average is 13.

We even had a 100 degree day, first one in 9 years.
In TX, add 10 degrees to those figures...

So did it cool off at night for ya? That is what gets us here - it will not cool off in the evening, and if it does, the humidity still makes it feel bad.
Old September 10th, 2010, 09:58 AM

Thumbs up

When the weather is hot in New England, it is usually really humid as well.

The dew point goes into the mid 70s.

It stays hot and humid at night as well.

However, most of the weather here from May until October is GREAT.

70-80 during the day, and 50-60 at night.
Old September 12th, 2010, 06:02 AM

One of the cooler summers here in AZ.
Now we are starting to get some FALL like weather, temps are dropping to mid to high 90's for the high. Got that fall feeling in the air.
I am also taking my allergy pills daily, now.
Sneeze fest in this "year round" blooming season.
AZ is NOT the place if you have allergies.

NOW is the time of the year, when we will get the old fogies saying "this is what we moved here for".
Where the hell were they for the last 6 months?
In air conditioned comfort?
Go out side!

Sorry to hear about your damaged homes/ flooding/ acts of "nature".
Be safe.
Jim

Last edited by Warhead; September 12th, 2010 at 06:10 AM.
Old September 12th, 2010, 06:35 AM

I just spent a week on Lake Travis outside of Austin. What a great city Austin is.

There was alot of rain a couple days. Incredible the amout of rain in such a short time. I heard the lake was up about 10' in 2-days.

I love Austin and the great state of Texas, I look to retire there.

Last edited by Nilsson; September 12th, 2010 at 06:38 AM.
Old September 12th, 2010, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Nilsson
I just spent a week on Lake Travis outside of Austin. What a great city Austin is.

There was alot of rain a couple days. Incredible the amout of rain in such a short time. I heard the lake was up about 10' in 2-days.

I love Austin and the great state of Texas, I look to retire there.
I hope you do not end up telling a story like this one...
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post185013
Old September 12th, 2010, 07:42 AM

I THINK I read in the paper/heard on the news that Lake Lewisville (large man-made lake north of Dallas) rose 3.8 FEET in the 24 hour period Weds-Thurs. w/the rains!!!! And this is a pretty good sized lake. Another good rain yesterday afternoon, really crazy this year. Austin would be a great city to retire to; afraid I would never get off 6th street, listening to all the Blue's being played there. A quick aside, once again, if I'm not mistaken: The only natural lake in the State of Texas is Caddo Lake, down on the Texas/Louisiana border. All the rest are man made. Interesting tidbit.
Old September 12th, 2010, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
The only natural lake in the State of Texas is Caddo Lake, down on the Texas/Louisiana border. All the rest are man made. Interesting tidbit.
I think i heard the same by my swampboat pilot as we were cruising that lake this past Memorial Day.
BEAUTIFUL lake - just like the FL Everglades. Even saw a gator (and ate part of one, too)!
Old September 12th, 2010, 11:13 AM
One of None W-31

Originally Posted by Warhead
One of the cooler summers here in AZ.
Now we are starting to get some FALL like weather, temps are dropping to mid to high 90's for the high.

Jim

Our Summer in Texas hasn't been that bad either. We've had 17 straight days a while back that were over 100, but otherwise in the 90's, and just like you, some cooler temps recently. Over night low a week or so back was high 50's /low 60's. Many highs throughout the last week were only in the 80's, due to a "Cold front," and rain showers. Now from September/October on, weather will be fine till July or so, due to our mostly mild winters.
Old July 18th, 2011, 07:11 PM

If your dog prefers to sleep in a pile of ice cubes, you might live in Texas...

This picture was sent to me by my neighbor. The location was from in my own city!
Attached Images
icedog.jpg (70.3 KB, 31 views)
Old July 19th, 2011, 12:06 AM
One of None W-31

Most summers here aren't that bad, hot like other places, but nothing out of the ordinary. This summer however is not like most other years. This month alone we have set 2 records for highs. It has been so hot this month, just walking to my car in the garage this morning I found myself thinking, my car already feels hot and but hasn't even been outside yet. A/C works great so I'm OK, but this type of hot weather year, which by the way is ALL over the country not just Texas, is one you want to leave behind you. As an example...it was 93 in the Twin Cities in MN. so paramedics were walking the stadium at the Twins game in search of people suffering from over-heating, fainting, etc. Will be glad to see the summer of 2011 gone. On top of this, the first 6 months of 2011 marks the worst drought in Texas in the past 100 years! So no rain to help out the situation. Fall 2011 hurry up.