The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Saturday afternoon at the movies in the 50's

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2010, 07:39 AM

Saturday afternoon at the movies in the 50's

This is fund to watch, for those who miss westerns. I know I do

Those Old Westerns
Old January 29th, 2010, 08:41 AM

Cittcapp: I watched it until the end! Brings back waayyyyy too many memories! Dating myself, but remember riding the bus to downtown Dallas w/Uncle Joe (I was 12, he was 14) on Saturday morning, and going to 2-3-4 different movies on Elm Street (where all the movies were). 10 Cents to get in, 5 Cents for popcorn/candy/or cold drink. AND YOU WERE SAFE DOING IT! Questionable in today's times, I'm afraid, and a shame. Anyway, thanks for bringing back some of those great ones. Juju says there's only one kind of movie, "Cowboy an/or Indian"! LOL.
Aron
Old January 29th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Past Administrator

I sure do miss the old westerns and enjoy seeing them on various programs today when they are available through cable or direct tv. I think they were my favorite when I was a kid, I loved em all.
Old January 29th, 2010, 08:58 AM

Such memories Thanks Citcapp

I omce met Duncan Renaldo when I was a kid at a Day camp. He had engraved rattlesnakes going down the barrels of his pistol.
Old January 29th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Cutlass Lover

Sorry I don't go back as far as you all ( luv ya guys!) but I like watching the John Wayne westerns... I love Jimmy Stewart in just about anything... the Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns... I think it's one of the reasons I love the west so much... it's like you can picture the "cowboys and indians" ridin through the desert... in the old towns, etc... John Wayne made a lot of movies in Monument Valley - AZ/Utah and you can just picture it in your mind when you're there. So much history out there in the west... Happy Trails To You!!
Old January 29th, 2010, 09:31 AM

Yeah me too. Not old enough to have watched them on the silver screen, but I have watch most them. I love the old westerns. Ji mm mmy Ste Ste wart has always been one of my favorite actors. No one compares to John Wayne. I have about 40 John Wayne movies on DVD.
Old January 29th, 2010, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
John Wayne made a lot of movies in Monument Valley - AZ/Utah
I think "The Duke" made 7 including all of the calvary trilogy w/ John Ford. I've stayed at Goulding's Lodge where his "officers quarters" are located.
Old January 29th, 2010, 10:47 AM

CutlassGal: We are planning on driving the Silver Bullet to Reno in 2011 to the Olds Nationals. Juju said WE WILL drive through Monument Valley to see where all those "My Baby Loves the Western Movies" were made (that was a song back in the '60's-'70's).
Old January 29th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Cutlass Lover

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
CutlassGal: We are planning on driving the Silver Bullet to Reno in 2011 to the Olds Nationals. Juju said WE WILL drive through Monument Valley to see where all those "My Baby Loves the Western Movies" were made (that was a song back in the '60's-'70's).

Oh how nice!! Can I stow away?? I won't take up much space, I promise!! Monument Valley is my favorite place. I've been there several times, and I always hate to leave. Here are a couple pics I took in 2007. It is truely God's country out there! That blue sky.... and HOT!!!

arizonatrip108.jpg

arizonatrip012.jpg

I hope you're going to take a pick up or a jeep tour down in to the valley, when you go. The "road" is so rocky and bumpy - it will shake ya to pieces! It's so quiet down in there. They have new lodging places/visitors centers with all sorts of John Wayne stuff for sale.

You all will love it!!!!
Old January 29th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Cutlass Lover

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I think "The Duke" made 7 including all of the calvary trilogy w/ John Ford. I've stayed at Goulding's Lodge where his "officers quarters" are located.

That's a nice place! We stayed there too, on the last trip. I loved the way the rooms were done in the different Indian schemes! Beautiful!!!

Aaron may want to do some reading about Goulding's and maybe stay there too. They have a nice web site. www.gouldings.com

Some of the Navajo tribe still live down in the valley. It is such a beautiful place.
Old January 29th, 2010, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal

Some of the Navajo tribe still live down in the valley. It is such a beautiful place.
Sandy,

Das cause de own the whole place and dats why ya gotta go with them and dats why ya got to tip de lady in the hogan. [Who sits there all day singing that ole Navajo chant "Cha ching"]
Old January 29th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Registered

I thought Arizona was your favorite place Sandy??

I was going to movies in the tail end of the 50's with monster movies but I've see all the old westerns and have the best on video.
I miss all the westerns that were on TV.
I saw the Ponderosa House at The Sportsmen's Show in the 60's.
Lorne Greene built it with his bare hands and Hoss.

TV's Fury the horse was my favorite western celebrity, Sky King a close second.

Italian Clint Eastwood movies filmed in Spain and dubbed in English.
My favorite line from a Spaghetti western was a woman yelling at a guy and calling him "You son of a motherless goat!!"
That was in "A Fistful of Dynamite" aka "Duck you Sucker!" my favorite.
It was the second installment in the Sergio Leone "Once upon a Time" trilogy starring Rod Steiger as a Mexican bandit and James Coburn as an IRA bomber.
Coburn as Derek Flint is the ultimate coolest.

Did you know they filmed the Road Runner cartoons in Monument Valley Sandy?
Old January 29th, 2010, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by citcapp
This is fund to watch, for those who miss westerns. I know I do

Those Old Westerns

Pat go to www.bonanzaworld.net and click on the clip of the episode you want to watch. Each clip is about 10 min. long but you can clip on part II and part III and so on. I've watched 4 episodes a night for the last 4 nights. My dad and I used to watch these together when I was a kid. It's good to see Ben, Adam, Hoss and Little Joe up to their old tricks even though they are all dead (Pernell Roberts just died Sunday the 24th).

Last edited by 442much; January 29th, 2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old January 29th, 2010, 12:13 PM

Don't ferget Hop Sing who passed in 1980
Old January 29th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Cutlass Lover

.....I thought Arizona was your favorite place Sandy??

The whole state of Arizona and all of it's beautiful scenery is my favorite place!!! Part of Monument Valley is in Arizona. I like Monument Valley better than the Grand Canyon.

Well I'm a standin on a corner in Winslow Arizona....

arizonatrip058.jpg
Old January 31st, 2010, 12:58 PM

O.K. not western, but, when I was a kid my brother and I saw Johnny Wiesmueller (Tarzan) in person, and got an autographed photo from him. Still wish I had it! and no, unlike today, we did not have to pay for the autograph.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 06:29 PM

most of the old tv westerns I remember but there are a few I never heard of. hard to believe there were so many

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/western.htm