The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Remember when service stations had service

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2018, 08:23 PM

Remember when service stations had service

Service stations of the 30's- 40's- 50's.... Tedd

http://hipspics.freewebspace.com/gas/gas.html
Old May 3rd, 2018, 08:33 PM
Olds Fever

Sure do... Nice array of old time service stations... Definitely remember when you could buy 3 gallons of gas for $1 and have your windshield cleaned...
Old May 3rd, 2018, 09:37 PM

My very first job was at a Standard Station when I was 17 yrs. old.
Old May 3rd, 2018, 10:12 PM

Old Stations old memories

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Service stations of the 30's- 40's- 50's.... Tedd

http://hipspics.freewebspace.com/gas/gas.html
The first one pictured was in the Portland Oregon suburb of Milwaukie. I used to buy gas there once in a while. Its gone now and no idea of what happened to the B-17 Bomber. I imagine some restoration outfit got it for parts.

A little further down is Covey's Little America. Its still called Little America but isn't Covey's anymore. It is in Western Wyoming alongside Interstate 80. Lots of gas pumps and a pretty good restaurant for being in the middle of the Wyoming desert. I go through that area every couple of years and always make it a point to stop there.

While in high school I worked evenings and weekends in service stations in the late 1950s pumping gas and doing lubes, oil changes and minor repairs plus tire service. When a customer came in for gas We were trained to always check everything under the hood, the pressure in the tires and offer to "whisk broom" out the car mats if the driver agreed. It wasn't just good service, everything checked was an opportunity to sell what we called TBA (tires,batteries and accessories). We even checked the service sticker on the inside of the A pillar to see if it was time for a lube and oil change. Yes, great service kept the customer coming back and it kept the service station more profitable. A win for both.
Jerry
Old May 3rd, 2018, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by RandyS
My very first job was at a Standard Station when I was 17 yrs. old.
I worked at a Mobil station during college. Full service pumps with a vacuum that would suck dirt from the floorboard through the carpet.
We also had two mechanics bays and one lube bay, a tire machine where we fixed flats, and a cooler with the coldest beer in town.
Old May 3rd, 2018, 11:15 PM

Yep me too, when I was 16-17 (back in '63/'64) I worked at "Joe's Shell" station in Bell, Cal. Joe was a young good looking Italian guy who really liked the ladies.....and they really liked him. When the back office door was locked that meant he was "entertaining". Anyway, there was always 3 of us on duty ..... do the windows, check coolant and oil which no one ever believed they were a quart or two low when you told them. They would just look at you and say "Yea, right", even when you showed them the dip stick. These were all regular customers so I always told Joe (when he emerged from the back office) that so-in-so was way low on oil in case the guy seized his engine and tried to blame it on us. Had a helluva lot of fun working there for $1.15 an hour plus I could fill up my '56 Bel Aire 2 door hard top for $3.50.
Old May 4th, 2018, 04:28 AM

The employment these places provided for high school and those just out of school was great, teaching customer service and starting a trade. Real shame it stopped.
Neat collection of pics.
Old May 4th, 2018, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by m371961
The employment these places provided for high school and those just out of school was great, teaching customer service and starting a trade. Real shame it stopped.
Neat collection of pics.
Have you ever thought about how many of these startup jobs that taught young people a work ethic have been deleted? Millions and the result is digusting.
Thanks
Wayne
Old May 4th, 2018, 07:21 AM

Of all the jobs I ever had, the most favorite was working at a full service Amoco station on Rt 40 at junction of Baltimore Beltway. I worked there from 1963 - 1968. So many muscle cars came in for the white gas. I just read a book that was being shared on Garage Journal called Beltsville Shell by Cary Thomas. The book had the same type stories that I experienced during that time period. Any one that worked at a gas station would enjoy the book.
Rick
Old May 4th, 2018, 07:34 AM

How about the sign about the prices reduced? I worked at a Gulf while in high school and another station down the block would start a gas war. At that time dealers paid for the gas as it was put into storage tanks. The dealer would get the price down, fill his storage at the cheap price then close down his station and go fishing until the price came back up. I saw Gulftane (the cheapest Gulf sold) selling for 13.9 cents. All the farmers were bringing their 55 gallon barrels and filling them to run in their tractors.
Old May 4th, 2018, 08:35 AM
Old School Olds

Originally Posted by WHIPOLDS
Of all the jobs I ever had, the most favorite was working at a full service Amoco station on Rt 40 at junction of Baltimore Beltway. I worked there from 1963 - 1968. So many muscle cars came in for the white gas. I just read a book that was being shared on Garage Journal called Beltsville Shell by Cary Thomas. The book had the same type stories that I experienced during that time period. Any one that worked at a gas station would enjoy the book.
Rick
Looks like a cool read.
Amazon Amazon
Old May 4th, 2018, 02:01 PM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

[QUOTE=CRUZN 66;1093378]Sure do... Nice array of old time service stations... Definitely remember when you could buy 3 gallons of gas for $1 and have your windshield cleaned...[/QUOTE

The first shop I worked at, I manned the pumps on Thursdays and Sundays. Petrol ( what we call gas ) was 34 pence per gallon, or three gallons for £1.
I quickly found I could make nearly another weeks wages in tips by being polite to the customers when I checked their oil water & tires.

Roger.
Old May 4th, 2018, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Our family owned a gas station growing up, in fact my parents told me stories that they gave me baths in the tire dip tank. I learned a lot (including that was not the business I wanted to be in as a career) working there in my early youth until it was sold in the 70's. It was a 2 bay with a full service body and paint shop in the back.
Old May 4th, 2018, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Our family owned a gas station growing up, in fact my parents told me stories that they gave me baths in the tire dip tank. I learned a lot (including that was not the business I wanted to be in as a career) working there in my early youth until it was sold in the 70's. It was a 2 bay with a full service body and paint shop in the back.
I know, right? My fingernails and knuckles were always greasy looking, no matter how much I scrubbed them. But, it was nice to have a lift to put my car up on once in a while.......
And remember when the good looking blonde with the short skirt would come in for a fill-up? Her windows got REALLY clean........
Old May 4th, 2018, 05:52 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I worked at a Phillips 66 station when I was 16 in the summer of my junior year. I was working to get enough money to get my 40 Ford running. I worked 6 days a week and made $35/week which comes out to $0.73/hour. There were certain female customers who really had clean windshields.
Old May 4th, 2018, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
There were certain female customers who really had clean windshields.
Same here. One particular time just after I started working, a real nice 64 T-bird came in with custom paint and interior. I said to the other guys how nice the upholstery was and they nearly broke their necks to get out to wash the windshield. I did not know the statement meant a good looking woman was driving.
Old May 5th, 2018, 07:33 AM

Smile Old Gulf Statio

Tedd,there is an old '30's Gulf Station in Tazewell Tn. that was closed down in the '60's,and in 2001 the city purchased it and restored it ,and now it is open for tours, photo shoots ect.
How many towns would even think of preserving a piece of history?tt
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (44.5 KB, 9 views)
Old May 5th, 2018, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by RandyS
And remember when the good looking blonde with the short skirt would come in for a fill-up? Her windows got REALLY clean........
That was the genius of the vacuum cleaner that the owner installed for the full service pumps. Not only would we clean the windshield, but we would offer to vacuum the front carpet if she would step out for a minute.
Old May 5th, 2018, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
That was the genius of the vacuum cleaner that the owner installed for the full service pumps. Not only would we clean the windshield, but we would offer to vacuum the front carpet if she would step out for a minute.
Brilliant!!
Old May 5th, 2018, 09:34 AM

Still have an old one in use, about 10 miles from me. Note that this is a pic that i took about 3-4 years ago, as evidenced by the cost of the gas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P5121224.JPG (263.4 KB, 8 views)
Old May 5th, 2018, 01:44 PM

Not that much higher than what I paid yesterday. Gas is on the rise again in California... Tedd
Old May 6th, 2018, 07:12 PM

I'd have loved a job like that as a teen. I wish I could step into some of those pictures.
Old May 6th, 2018, 10:58 PM

I was lucky to have two cars with odd and even plates, so I parked one car there over night to fill the next day when it opened and was in line first back during the gas shortage ???? not sure there was a shortage. California
Gerald
Old May 7th, 2018, 05:47 AM

Very cool pics!

I noticed a sign in one of the pics mentioned:

Try corn alcohol gasoline 10% blend
There are two pre war cars at the gas station. I didn't know ethanol gasoline had been in use that long.

Aren't there a few states that currently require gas station attendants by law? I know in Germany you aren't allowed to pump your own gas. You don't get full service though. I think full service is a thing of the past.
Old May 7th, 2018, 06:11 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I believe it was New Jersey I was in a few years ago that required attendants. I could be wrong and that has been several years so it could have changed. I know we have a number of residents of NJ on here so I am sure somebody will speak up.
Old May 7th, 2018, 06:46 AM

New Jersey does. I was there in 2013 with a rental. I refuse to let people do things to my cars, so I would not want to drive mine through there.
Old May 7th, 2018, 07:13 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by Koda
New Jersey does. I was there in 2013 with a rental. I refuse to let people do things to my cars, so I would not want to drive mine through there.
But it wasn't your car!.

Roger.
Old May 7th, 2018, 07:37 AM

I believe All through the state of Oregon they require a attendant to pump your gas. Most of the time they ask me to do it on the Mistress which I would rather do anyway. Never on the Miata for some reason.... Tedd
Old May 7th, 2018, 10:42 AM

Worked at a full service Mobil station from 1969 to 1971.

S&H Green Stamps, free drinking glasses, free silverware.....

Fun times!
Old May 7th, 2018, 11:31 AM

Correct on NJ - Full service only. For supposed safety reasons.

Went to Germany 3 years ago. They have self service but it was not pay at the pump. You filled your car, walked inside to pay and left your car by the pump, preventing the next guy from filling until you came back. Not very efficient.
Old May 7th, 2018, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by oldsconv
Went to Germany 3 years ago. They have self service but it was not pay at the pump. You filled your car, walked inside to pay and left your car by the pump, preventing the next guy from filling until you came back. Not very efficient.
The last time I was in Germany was a few years ago. I tried to put gas in my rental car outside of the Stuttgart airport and the attendant was cross with me. I suppose it varies between states in Germany as well.
Old May 7th, 2018, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Yes, New Jersey and most of Oregon still require a gas attendant to pump gas. The only 2 states in the country.
Old May 7th, 2018, 03:55 PM

Yes. I think Germany is like US. Some self service and some full service. I remember going 25 years ago and having to pay $10 Euro to have washer fluid "installed". You couldn't buy a jug at any local stores, only at a gas station. I am sure that has changed now also
Old May 8th, 2018, 05:28 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Correct on NJ - Full service only. For supposed safety reasons.

That's pretty much still how it works in the UK. Most gas stations have pay at the pump facilities if you are paying by card.
Also recently some stations have introduced pumps where you can preset the amount you want, in multiples of £10.

When I visit the USA, mostly Texas and the surrounding states, I had to park by the pump, go and pay for the gas, then come out and fill up. If i wanted to fill the tank, as I often did because we would be on a long trip somewhere, I would pay more than the price of a tank, then have to go back in and collect the change. Pity the guy behind me thinking I wouldn't take long to fill the tank on my little rental car.

Roger.

Last edited by rustyroger; May 8th, 2018 at 05:31 AM.
Old May 8th, 2018, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by rustyroger
But it wasn't your car!.

Roger.
Yes, I let them do it.
Old May 8th, 2018, 05:49 AM

Anyone living in NJ or OR that can comment on the "full service" required by law? I suppose it's just a pump attendant that pumps the gas for you. They don't check your oil, air pressure in your tires, washer fluid, etc.?
Old May 8th, 2018, 07:50 AM
Administrator

When I left NJ 39 years ago, it was full service. Check all fluids, wash windshield, and air up tires while pumping gas. I would assume that at a lot of stations that's still the case.

There were some articles that Oregon was going to stop the requirement and let self service in rural areas. Someone posted it on facebook, reading the comments from people who did not like it, you'd think it was the end of all humanity the way they complained. Most had no clue on how to fill their own car and sure as hell didn't want the opportunity to learn.
Old May 8th, 2018, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
There were some articles that Oregon was going to stop the requirement and let self service in rural areas.
Yep, this came up just yesterday with one of my co-workers. He and the wife were in Oregon recently and said the law had been changed.
Old May 8th, 2018, 02:30 PM

On NJ, yes, full service is just a person pumping your gas. They don't check oil or washer fluid or anything else.
Old May 9th, 2018, 05:30 AM

On NJ, yes, full service is just a person pumping your gas. They don't check oil or washer fluid or anything else.
That's lousy. If I lived in NJ or OR I think I would have to get the attendant to fill a jerry can and then I would fill my Olds myself. OF course, they probably wouldn't pump gas in my jerry can because it's one of the old style ones that actually holds and pours gas without swelling up and spilling everywhere.

Quick Reply: Remember when service stations had service