The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

payment morality

Old November 27th, 2009, 01:01 AM

payment morality

Hello ebayers
We buy lots of parts and literature in the US bay.It makes us wonder how sellers use to respond after we`ve paydWe allways do pay right after auction,as fast as the system works.Yesterday we bought front wheel bearings for our F-85, 19.99$.The seller mailed 4 messages within 2 hours
1. Thank you for quick payment......
2. We will ship today........
3. We have send items.......
4. The tracking-no. is.........
This is a typical example.
The feedbacks are unexeptional perfect to usHow is the behavior ordinary payment in the US ebay In Germany we buy,pay prompt,get a message or not.That`s it.
Martin

Last edited by convertible 63; November 27th, 2009 at 01:14 AM.
Old November 27th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Captain of my ship

same here but I do check on the seller to see if their customers are satisfied.
Old November 27th, 2009, 06:58 AM

It all depends on the seller - they are all different. Some keep us WELL informed and even follow up weeks later to see if you are happy. Some do not even send any emails at all. A few never even sent the items themselves.......
Old November 27th, 2009, 07:35 AM

I pay using paypal right away and usually get a response back within an hour or two. I also check out the sellers history. Most check back via e-mail to make sure I was satisfied with the product and shipping. Only one bad experience out of many
Old November 27th, 2009, 09:56 AM

I also pay right away using paypal,and normally recieve a response from the seller,although a few never bother to contact me.That said I have only had a couple of bad experiences (product misrepresented) and for the most part not worth sending it back.From my view point most sellers are fairly honest.
Old November 27th, 2009, 10:40 AM
car guy

When I sell something I leave feedback as soon as I am paid. As far as I am concerned the buyers job is done once I am paid. I don't hold feedback for ransome waiting on mine. I try to make sure to give a buyer a heads up that I got a payment and it will be boxed up and shipped buy X day (usually the next Monday because I do it over the weekend ) If its USPS I send another message once shipped. If its Fedex I set up automated email that sends them a message once an item is both shipped and delivered.
Old November 27th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Here ya go! http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...ab=AllFeedback

No worries when my Oldsmobile calendars drop in a day or two!
Old November 27th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Banned

i always tell buyers when their item is sent

big thing im seeing from sellers is the gouging on shipping cost to cover ebay seller fees

that's ebay,the melting pot .
Old November 27th, 2009, 02:10 PM

Eperience with E-Bayers.....

I dealt with some guy on Ebay last week and paid him immediately through paypal, the only problem with paypal is if you want to use a different address than what's listed it's a pain to change. So, I sent the guy a message and let him know the address was going to be different than what was on the paypal account. My 1st clue there was going to be a problem was when he e-mailed me back and said "I'll try to remember this address when I send it tommorrow" when someone uses the word try, you have a pretty good idea of the mentality your dealing with, otherwise they would say "I'll be sure that gets done". So when the tracking info came in from Fedex, there was my address nicely listed on the information, so I e-mailed the guy and let him know of his mistake and he said oh, I forgot I must have been in a trance when I sent it, don't hate me man. I'll give him 1 more chance to make it right by giving me back $10 on the shipping. I already know what I'm going to comment on his feedback. Watch for his next auction up for auction: used crack pipe, heavily used but in great shape!! I love Ebay! you meet the greatest people! Oldsdroptop
Old November 27th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Banned

it's hard to believe,but there are still sellers on ebay who don't ship.
Old November 29th, 2009, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by agtw31
big thing im seeing from sellers is the gouging on shipping cost to cover ebay seller fee.
eBay is supposedly very aware of this problem and is cracking down on it by not allowing shipping charges above a certain amount in certain cases. The ebay seller fee is miniscule compared to what some people have tried to charge for shipping.

However, I agree with you in that I still see what I think are exorbitant shipping costs on some items which ought to cost considerably less to ship. As much as I might otherwise want the item, I don't buy from sellers like this.
Old November 29th, 2009, 09:59 AM

I was going to buy some Olds posters that would fit in normal mail. The only way the seller would send them was through Fed-x. The cost for shipping exceeded the cost of the the posters. I told him to forget it.
Old November 29th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by agtw31
i always tell buyers when their item is sent

big thing im seeing from sellers is the gouging on shipping cost to cover ebay seller fees

that's ebay,the melting pot .
The method you use to communicate with your buyers is fine by me. I agree with your comment about the "gouging" cause it happens to me about 80% of the time. I've cancelled some orders because the seller has changed his tune after the item was bought and he had previously quoted shipping, then changed it to an inflated rate when I got the invoice. I complained to evil bay and they didn't do anything about it.

Originally Posted by jaunty75
eBay is supposedly very aware of this problem and is cracking down on it by not allowing shipping charges above a certain amount in certain cases. The ebay seller fee is miniscule compared to what some people have tried to charge for shipping.

However, I agree with you in that I still see what I think are exorbitant shipping costs on some items which ought to cost considerably less to ship. As much as I might otherwise want the item, I don't buy from sellers like this.
There are a few ebay sellers that I really respect. Why? Because they are up front and honest about if you buy their item, you get to decide how you want it shipped. Their philosophy " He who pays, say's". I've found that to be really effective. Another thing I dont understand is why one seller can send parts through the mail in a plain jane box and it costs 6.00 to ship - like parcel post economy style. Another seller can send the same sized box/weight and it costs me 23.00 to ship from almost the same zip code. Then there's "flat rate servie. What a joke. The flat rate service is falling flat on it's ***. Something that weighs 6 oz costs the same to ship as something that weighs 6 lbs as long as it fits in the shipping box? You gotta be kidding me. I've had a few who email back that if they have to stand in line at the post office, they'll charge me an extra 15-20 bucks even when their auction says "no additional s/h fees". What a crock. Andy is right about this, the melting pot at ebay is creating meltdown with the shipping issues.

I get stuff shipped via UPS (my preferred) and Fedex fairly often because it's usually faster and easier to track. Sometimes it gets stopped at the border for inspection and import taxes. Sometimes it doesn't. Seems to be based on the value the seller declares on shipping. What really pissed me off was that several of them declared the shipping cost as part of the value of the part I bought, raising the total by close to 60 bucks. That's not right and you can't win the fight with UPS, Fedex or the feds when you argue it. Want a laugh? I bought a Canada Parks pass on ebay last year, you know the kind that hangs from your front mirror? Seller said it would cost 18.00 to ship to me. Sent an email to her and said to put it in an envelope and put an 85cent stamp on it and send it. She did, and was totally amazed that she could do this because the ebay calculator told her shipping was a fixed rate? 8 days later, there it was (hey I didn't say the USPS was the fastest) Some people just don't use what passes for brains in a common sense situation!
Old November 29th, 2009, 06:08 PM
is Fast Enough ...

I charge very little for my stuff and charge 25 bucks to ship so I make 10/hr ...

for 45 min ...
Old December 1st, 2009, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
I complained to evil bay and they didn't do anything about it.
Like almost any complaint sent to them... I rarely use the site since early this year.

Some people just don't use what passes for brains in a common sense situation!
Happens much more often then not. Sad but true. I wont get on my soapbox though...

Not only evil bay sellers inflating ship costs, other online stores do also. Lots of places charge "oversize" and "double oversize". When i looked at what items cost that, their shipping sizes were WAY under what UPS / Fedex considers oversize. Not to mention they include packing, handling, insurance, and regular shipping costs also.

One set of lightweight items cost me 15 to ship and another wanted over 30 plus insurance and handling. It only cost 60 bucks, so it needed no extra insurance.

Some of these stupid places will not even tell you these charges until the order is either placed or shipped and those are the ones i run away from.
If i cannot figure it by simply putting it in the cart and add my zip code, I move on. I hate bad surprises.
Old December 1st, 2009, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Like almost any complaint sent to them
I've had my share of unpleasant experiences selling on ebay and getting no satisfaction from ebay itself when complaining about deadbeat buyers, but I still find it a valuable-enough place to buy and sell stuff that I just swallow hard and continue to use it. I've been a member for more than 11 years now and have bought and sold many, many thngs, and, while the unpleasant experiences were certainly that, the vast majority turn out just fine.
Old December 1st, 2009, 05:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I've had my share of unpleasant experiences selling on ebay and getting no satisfaction from ebay itself when complaining about deadbeat buyers, but I still find it a valuable-enough place to buy and sell stuff that I just swallow hard and continue to use it. I've been a member for more than 11 years now and have bought and sold many, many thngs, and, while the unpleasant experiences were certainly that, the vast majority turn out just fine.
It seems like all of us have experienced this as either a buyer or seller. Yes, most of the ebay experiences are just fine, as you say. It's the occasional (maybe 1 out of 20) "less than desirable" experiences that creates the animosity. I also don't like the inflated oversize estimates or unwillingness to commit to shipping costs till the auction is over. Gulp, (the sound that is all to familiar) shipping sometimes costs more than the item!! I've been pretty lucky overall when it comes to talking things out with sellers. For the most part, they're willing to discuss options up front and as long as things appear reasonable, they usually follow through. I didn't mean for my comments to reflect negative of ebay, most of my really cool parts are bought there, and from really great guys who give me a good break on shipping. The ones who won't answer emails, I just don't buy from. It's a buyer beware world, just done over the web instead of in person.
Old December 1st, 2009, 06:05 PM

shipping sometimes costs more than the item!!
You have to be careful here, too. I've bought things for 49 cents or a $1.49 that cost $3.00 to ship. I've bought heavy things for $10 that cost $15 to ship. There's is not always a direct relationship between the value of something and the cost to ship it. What's bad is charging more to ship something than it actually costs to ship it. People who do this are trying to get around eBay's fees because eBay doesn't charge its seller fee as a percentage of the cost of the shipping, only of the final bid price of the item itself. This is what eBay has recently been trying to fight against by forcing sellers to use more reasonable shipping/handling rates. I have to say that I don't see as much in the way of outlandish shipping rates as I used to.