The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

OMG cream puff Tempest

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2023, 03:50 PM

OMG cream puff Tempest

Hello,
I take a trip to the local Safeway today (did not take the Olds) I was returning to the car and up pulls a beautiful 1962 Tempest, plain Jane White 2 door,
dog dish hub caps, it did have radio and carpet. here's the story !! it has been in the family since 1962 !!! it belonged to his Grand father who bought it in Ohio,he says Gramps moved to AZ. in the mid 60's to Sun City Az. when he passed away the son (this guys dad still in Ohio) inherited the house and the car, dad kept the house and the Tempest and now winters 4-5 months a year in the home (his health is failing now and he has little interest in the car) when no one is in the house the neighbor is caretaker and starts the car about every two weeks or at least once a month and takes it around the block ,per Grandson all original except for the radial tires has 62K on the clock
the paint is original and beautiful, interior spotless no rips or stains .The Grandson is here in AZ for the Super bowl so he decided to take it for a spin he says it runs great but he was very nervous driving it (to many Zombies ) it had the slant 4 (half a 326 ) and a 3 on the tree
What a beauty and piece of history !! it was so cool !! what was not cool was as usual I was not thinking and did not snap a few phone pics I guess I was taken back by it's cool factor !! and by the way he said since it is technically his now he has no intention of selling it although he is considering having it shipped back to Ohio.
s
Old February 11th, 2023, 03:58 PM

Fun stuff right there. Thanks for sharing
Old February 11th, 2023, 04:05 PM

This is maybe a transaxle car with the long driveshaft.
Old February 11th, 2023, 04:36 PM
Banned

I love seeing old cars on the road. There is a guy I see near me that has an all original 53 Chevy that I see by me. When we were kids you would see old cars all the time. Now? Not so much.
Old February 11th, 2023, 05:10 PM

Yes it's a transaxle, had a '63 four door, auto trans.
Old February 11th, 2023, 06:31 PM

I think its so cool when stuff gets passed down !! My family were not ones for holding on to stuff therefore I do not have hardly any heirlooms and when I think of what got trashed , lost, misplaced etc.. it makes me sick !! not from a money stand point but just from a memory standpoint.
I will not make the same mistake !! my Olds will be left for my three daughters to use whenever they want with the understanding it will eventually go to my grandson !! I don't have much but my wish is to pass down things like watches etc... so that my daughters and grand children can sit one day and say " this was Dads/ Grandpa's he loved this watch !!
I am so envious of the Pontiac Tempest guy not because of the value of the car but because of it's family history !!
for those of you that have heirlooms hold on to them and treasure them !! the world is a very strange place right now !!! with things we hold dear, many traditions under threat !! to quote
Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong "no no you cant take that away from me"
Old February 13th, 2023, 04:41 AM

My dad bought a brand new one in 1962, red with red interior. One day my dad said we were taking a trip "up the mountains" with it. I could not imagine or believe that car was literally capable of climbing up (steep) mountains; I had a tough time envisioning that. But when you're 5 years old I guess everything you hear is taken literally. When we actually went I was disappointed when we really didn't climb up any mountains with it.

Anyway, it was a cool car, I still remember it well.