The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Olds Club of Canada Dead

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Crazy Canuck

Olds Club of Canada Dead

Well it is official - this club is no more. I have known for awhile but never said anything because the board was going to send out a letter. In the past I had offered my help but was never taken up on the offer. Recently I sent a message to the board again offering to help and received an email saying the club is folding and all members will be notified. Never received a formal letter though.

So I have been waiting for the notice. I checked the site today (www.oldsclub.ca) and it is gone. Someone has obviously purchased the url.

Sad. And I prepaid my dues for all of 2011!!

Wayne
Old February 5th, 2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by oldsca
Well it is official - this club is no more. I have known for awhile but never said anything because the board was going to send out a letter. In the past I had offered my help but was never taken up on the offer. Recently I sent a message to the board again offering to help and received an email saying the club is folding and all members will be notified. Never received a formal letter though.

So I have been waiting for the notice. I checked the site today (www.oldsclub.ca) and it is gone. Someone has obviously purchased the url.

Wayne
Wayne, I'm really sorry to hear that. I thought you guys were just going through what most clubs do. So what happened? PM sent.

Last edited by 442much; February 5th, 2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old February 5th, 2011, 08:28 AM

This is certainly sad news, but maybe it's an opportunity, too. It's always seemed that the Canadian club struggled because the country is so big and the various Olds owners spread out so much.

Maybe those who want to maintain some kind of club could form something in their local area and approach the OCA about becoming a chapter. There aren't any OCA chapters outside the USA right now, but I don't know why there couldn't be.

Or just form an independent club amongst yourselves the way the British Columbia Olds Club and the Oldsmobile Northern Lights club in Alberta did. I kind of always wondered why these clubs stayed independent instead of affiliating with the OCC, but, heck, maybe that's been answered now. Certainly it seems like there's enough Olds people in the eastern part of the country, especially Ontario, that a club could be successful.
Old February 5th, 2011, 08:29 AM

And I prepaid my dues for all of 2011!!
No indication from the board that pre-paid dues would be refunded?
Old February 5th, 2011, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
This is certainly sad news, but maybe it's an opportunity, too. It's always seemed that the Canadian club struggled because the country is so big and the various Olds owners spread out so much.

Maybe those who want to maintain some kind of club could form something in their local area and approach the OCA about becoming a chapter. There aren't any OCA chapters outside the USA right now, but I don't know why there couldn't be.

Or just form an independent club amongst yourselves the way the British Columbia Olds Club and the Oldsmobile Northern Lights club in Alberta did. I kind of always wondered why these clubs stayed independent instead of affiliating with the OCC, but, heck, maybe that's been answered now. Certainly it seems like there's enough Olds people in the eastern part of the country, especially Ontario, that a club could be successful.
We were an official chapter back in the 90's but pulled out because the OCA demanded that all our members be OCA members and by 2000 the Canadian dollar was at about 65-70 cents to a US dollar. So it was hard to keep members for $100/yr.

We knew of other club who had say 50 members and only 25 were OCA members. They told me to only submit the OCA members in the chapter to the VP. As a member of the OCA board at the time I voted against this but would follow the decision of the board. The board voted for it.

When we started loosing members, we told them we'd drop the charter rather than fudge the books and stay friends. Even though the Canadian dollar is $1.01 to the US dollar today we are happy where we are and will not seek to regain the charter. Also, I believe that new OCA policy does not allow chapters from outside the USA, so that's that..

We are listed in JWO and in our last newsletter we had an OCA application for those members who may want to join OCA. But OCA membership is not required to be a member of our club. I am a member of OCA.
Old February 5th, 2011, 09:13 AM

Well, it was just a thought.
Old February 5th, 2011, 09:38 AM

Well, it was just a thought.
Thanks for the suggestion. It only means you have the best intention for the clubs.
Old February 5th, 2011, 02:04 PM

Sounds like you got ripped off if no one has contacted you concerning a refund.
I'd be kinda pissed myself.
Old February 5th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Canadian Oldsmobile shall NOT die

Originally Posted by 442much
Thanks for the suggestion. It only means you have the best intention for the clubs.
No question in my mind you have the best interests of the NLCO in mind. The only alternative I see is for all us Canucks to rise up, gather our arms and hunt down the varmints that decreed that a national Olds Club couldn't exist. I think it's more that the 'old boys club' didn't want to play anymore and didn't want newbies in who might uncover a skeleton or 2? Oops, my bad. That sounds pretty sinister and political doesn't it?

I went through this exact scenario just 2 months ago with an established and long term (47 years) "Curling" club, so I can appreciate the frustration that a few cause to many.

Olds may have stopped being a GM Brand in 2004, but the clubs and chapters will live on for as long as members are willing to carry the torch!

I'm curious about something. There's an Olds club of America. Why isn't there and Olds Club of NORTH AMERICA? That could include all the members from the US and CANADA too! Or am I just opening a can of worms? (pass the hot sauce and onions...)
Old February 5th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Allan R
There's an Olds club of America. Why isn't there and Olds Club of NORTH AMERICA? That could include all the members from the US and CANADA too!
Far as this US American is concerned, America is America - from Cape Horn to Baffin Bay.

If the name of a group contains "of America," then that includes Chileans, Inuits, and even (gasp) Quebequois.

Our appropriation of the name for an entire hemisphere as our own has always kind of irked me.

- Eric
Old February 5th, 2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Our appropriation of the name for an entire hemisphere as our own has always kind of irked me.
We didn't "appropriate" anything. The western hemisphere continents were named for an Italian explorer, Amerigo Vespucci, who did much of the early mapping of the continents back around the time of Columbus and more than 250 years before the U.S.A. was created.

The founding of the U.S. in 1776 came well before either of the other two North American countries, Canada (1867), and Mexico (1821) were founded and before most (if not all) countries in South America, as we know them today, were founded. Since the new country was comprised of what were individual states, it made sense to call them the "United States" of America. So even though the U.S. was first, I don't think anyone at the time sat around thinking up how they could "steal" the name of the continents for their own country or thought something like "we had better name our country America before someone else beats us to it!"

Last edited by jaunty75; February 5th, 2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old February 5th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

But that's my point.

We're the United States of America.
Sure, the name is a bit long and unwieldy, but by dropping the first three words, we've created the habit in ourselves and most others (even many Canadians) of using the name of two entire continents as though it applied only to us.
I first noticed it years ago when I had a Canadian girlfriend (I'm a great proponent of cordial international relations ), and I felt dumb referring to being from "America" when I was demonstrably already standing in America. Most of the Canadians (or Damn Canucks as we call them here) referred to the US as "the States," which made sense.
Since then, when outside of the country, or when communicating with folks from foreign lands, I try to refer to my country as "the US," as saying "America" seems to be really a bit broad.

I'm not saying that any of us intentionally came up with a way to refer to our huge country as though it were about ten times larger than it is, but I, myself, try to avoid doing this, if only for the sake of clarity.

I mean, really, some guy in Belize has just as much right to say "I'm proud to be an American" as I do.

- Eric
Old February 5th, 2011, 06:08 PM

The name is NOT long and unwieldy, a citizen of Belize or of any other country in South, Central, or North America does NOT have the right to call themselves an American, and, your Canadian girlfriend notwithstanding, the rest of the world is NOT confused if we refer to our country as America and call ourselves Americans.

But, on behalf of Americans everywhere, I thank you for apologizing to the rest of the world for the name of our country.

Next time, instead of wasting a good angst here, why not take it to where it can actually do some good? I'm thinking of to the "what-can-we-think-up-to-blame-America-for-now?" forum.
Old February 5th, 2011, 06:16 PM

Thumbs down

The name is NOT long and unwieldy, a citizen of Belize or of any other country in South, Central, or North America does NOT have the right to call themselves an American, and, your Canadian girlfriend notwithstanding, the rest of the world is NOT confused if we refer to our country as America and call ourselves Americans.

But, on behalf of Americans everywhere, I thank you for apologizing to the rest of the world for the name of our country.

Next time, instead of wasting a good angst here, why not take it to where it can actually do some good? I'm thinking of to the "what-can-we-think-up-to-blame-America-for-now?" forum.

Ya gotta settle down a bit, take a pill or somethin' 'cause we were just takin' about a Canadian Olds Club just shuttin' down alright!!!
Old February 5th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Crazy Canuck

Unfortunately it is sad that they just seemed to disappear overnight without informing their members. I had sent an email back in January to the board because of a strange post on their site. It started me thinking that this club is on very shaky ground. I did get a response from one board member saying that the club is folding. I received another response from another board member saying that something would be sent out shortly. Two weeks later the site is gone. I hate to say it but based on my conversations with certain (not all) board members, this lack of notification doesn't surprise me.

I'll be honest, I am not concerned about the fees I lost, I just hate to see this club disappear. Although maybe this is an opportunity to start something new and better for Olds guys (and gals) in Ontario. I think a provincial club might make more sense. I know Ken's Northern Lights is a great club with lots of activities for it's members. This was something lacking with the OCC because they only ever had one annual get together. No other cruises or meets throughout the year.

I see something good coming from this and I am sure I will be asking lots of questions in the near future.

Cheers,
Wayne
Old February 5th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Sorry, but, by definition, anybody who is from any place within the continents of North, South, or Central America is, and can call himself, an American.

We in the US are no more entitled to that appellation than any of the others.
We all live in America.
You don't like it, take it up with the Organization of American States (of which only one member is the US).

Only a select few, though, can call themselves Yankees (or Damn Yankees if abroad)
(I don't know what those Rebels from the other side of the Mason-Dixon call themselves...).

And as for blaming the US, I believe in taking credit where it is due, both good and bad.
We did a bunch of things that weren't right over the years, but we did plenty that were, as well (such as helping to save Europe's butt twice in the last century, and creating a place where stuff of every description gets invented, even if its production gets farmed out to China nowadays), which means we're not perfect, but, just like you and me, are probably getting better as we get older.

- Eric

Oh, and I am sorry too, my Canadian brothers and neighbours, about the sudden demise of your organization. I hope that, as Wayne says, this will provide a needed opportunity for the right folks to jump in and create new clubs that better serve the needs of all Canadian Olds collectors.
Old February 5th, 2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by chequenman
Ya gotta settle down a bit, take a pill or somethin'
Buzz off.

I didn't start this conversation, MDchanic did. Take it up with him.

He belittles both the name of our country and what it means to be an American.

I find his comments highly offensive, and I think many Americans would.

Last edited by jaunty75; February 5th, 2011 at 06:49 PM. Reason: removed all the swear words
Old February 5th, 2011, 06:54 PM

Sorry to hear about this. I was actually going to try and join the club this summer and make it to the Nationals.

I started a local Olds club here 3 years ago, and after lack of participation and other issues, I folded it after 2 years. During that time I did contact the OCA about chapter status, and they said that clubs outside of the US are affiliates and not chapters.

I hope that there could maybe be an Ontario Oldsmobile Club formed now, but Ontario is still a large area to cover in one club (about 1.5 times the area of Texas).
Old February 5th, 2011, 06:55 PM

Buzz off.

I didn't start this conversation, MDchanic did. Take it up with him.

He belittles both the name of our country and what it means to be an American.

I find his comments highly offensive, and I think many Americans would.
I know you didn't start it as it is about a club folding so u yourself can just settle down a bit.... eh !!! another Canuck just sayin'
Old February 5th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Actually, I'd say Allan up in Edmonton started it when he said,

"There's an Olds club of America. Why isn't there and Olds Club of NORTH AMERICA? That could include all the members from the US and CANADA too! Or am I just opening a can of worms? (pass the hot sauce and onions...)"

Here's the onions, Allan, and I've got some jalapeño sauce that goes great with 'em!

- Eric
Old February 5th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Oldsdruid

I hate to hear about it too, but I've watched the OCA Chapter I helped start in 1990 do the same thing. When you're trying to cover a lot of ground, it's hard to get people together to do anything- we had a couple of members who regularly made 4-hour one-way drives to attend our meetings. Those folks were dedicated enough to basically give up their whole Saturday for a club meeting, though most of them used it as an opportunity for an old Olds road trip.

After I left the Board, we also had an appointed Zone director who never managed to attend a Chapter meeting in two years- and lived in the same town we had them in. That pissed a lot of folks off and they walked away from the Chapter and the parent club.

Then you have people who are strapped with family, work, and other making a living obligations, and if they have to travel a long distance to attend a club function, you lose them.

Hope you Canadians can revive an Oldsmobile group of some description in the near future. At least you have a legacy of fine cars and great shows including the 1994 Olds InterNational Meet. I had some doubts about that show and unfortunately made some disparaging comments, but looking back I'm convinced y'all had the right idea with that show. It was a really relaxed time in Fanshawe Park.
Old February 5th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

His pills might not be covered by his insurance provider, always patriotic nuts States side . Sucks to hear about your club going under. Our big distances and long winters don't help either. An Ontario chapter might work better for sure.
Old February 5th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Actually, I'd say Allan up in Edmonton started it when he said,

"There's an Olds club of America. Why isn't there and Olds Club of NORTH AMERICA? That could include all the members from the US and CANADA too! Or am I just opening a can of worms? (pass the hot sauce and onions...)"

Here's the onions, Allan, and I've got some jalapeño sauce that goes great with 'em!

- Eric
You're funny Eric! I think I'll just stay out of this, as it appears to be a sensitive topic. Won't stop me from being loyal to Olds. Sorry if it caused issues. BTW, I'll need a beer to go with the 'unjins an hot sauce'
Take care
Old February 5th, 2011, 07:25 PM

First olds I ever sat my fanny in was my dad's 57 rocket 88. As a kid I seem to remember washing the thing and in the back it had some sort of emblem that included canada.
Old February 5th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Allan R
BTW, I'll need a beer to go with the 'unjins an hot sauce'
Well, then stay away from that Molson p|sswater and have a nice Sam Adams or Shipyard!

Cheers!

- Eric
Old February 5th, 2011, 08:03 PM

Well, then stay away from that Molson p|sswater and have a nice Sam Adams or Shipyard!

Cheers!

- Eric

Ahhhh.... Sam Adams now that's coool beer drinkin' eh!!
Old February 6th, 2011, 11:18 AM
SMR TOI & HYE NRG

Hoping not to step on any toes .. or Egos ...
and bringing the conversation back to the Oldsmobile Club of Canada ...
it Is a loss for me. I grew Up with that club. I spent lots of my birthdays celebrating around some pretty Oldsmobiles, and good people. I have been lucky to be dubbed the "official videographer of the Oldsmobile Club of Canada" (Thank you Bob!) and thus, there are a few years of OCC shows that will live on, as long as my DVD player allows.
In recent years, the club experienced some changes and such, but I chalked it up to Growth Spurts. I was wrong.
I do hope Canadian members can stay in touch, maybe have an impromptu get together with their vehicles .. because, for ME ... it was the chance to see these beautiful machines, in a nice park setting, and meeting up with like-minded Olds Friends.
Let's remember why the club was started in the first place, and not why it fell apart.
I guess I'll be wearing black today.

Long Live the Spirit of OLDSMOBILE.
Old February 6th, 2011, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
always patriotic nuts States side
Yeah, that's me all right. Patriotic nut and proud of it.

By the way, the word you're searching for and failing to find is "Stateside," not States side. It's one word. I'm a Stateside patriotic nut.

Last edited by jaunty75; February 6th, 2011 at 11:32 AM. Reason: forgot to correct his grammar
Old February 6th, 2011, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Muskrat
Hoping not to step on any toes
Oh, why not!

Like I more or less said at the beginning of this thread, a club could be revived, perhaps having it cover eastern Canada as there are already two clubs in the western part of the country. Call it the Oldsmobile Club of Eastern Canada or something like that. If enough people can be rounded up to make TWO Olds clubs viable in the relatively sparsely populated western part of the country, it certainly seems that enough people could be gotten together for at least one club in the more densely populated east.
Old February 6th, 2011, 12:15 PM

Unfortunately it is sad that they just seemed to disappear overnight without informing their members. I had sent an email back in January to the board because of a strange post on their site. It started me thinking that this club is on very shaky ground. I did get a response from one board member saying that the club is folding. I received another response from another board member saying that something would be sent out shortly. Two weeks later the site is gone. I hate to say it but based on my conversations with certain (not all) board members, this lack of notification doesn't surprise me.

I'll be honest, I am not concerned about the fees I lost, I just hate to see this club disappear. Although maybe this is an opportunity to start something new and better for Olds guys (and gals) in Ontario. I think a provincial club might make more sense. I know Ken's Northern Lights is a great club with lots of activities for it's members. This was something lacking with the OCC because they only ever had one annual get together. No other cruises or meets throughout the year.

I see something good coming from this and I am sure I will be asking lots of questions in the near future.

Cheers,
Wayne
Wayne, you seem dedicated. Maybe this is where you come in and rebuild as president/founder. I bet many former OCC members would "Rallye" around you. It's worth thinking about. The Northern Lights will support you and help anyway we can. This hobby is all about taking something that has died and bringing it back to life via a full restoration. Perhaps a resto-mod is what is needed here with you as head mechanic?
Old February 6th, 2011, 12:27 PM

Sorry, but, by definition, anybody who is from any place within the continents of North, South, or Central America is, and can call himself, an American.
LOL....sounds like a big 3 sales pitch for "American Made".
By definition though, it's true. But not in commonly used language.

I wonder how many Russians call themselves Asians. Any guess ??
Any Canadians here call themselves Americans ??? Any Mexicans ?? lol

Last edited by Aceshigh; February 6th, 2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old February 6th, 2011, 12:28 PM

I received this e-mail yesterday from Henry Arsenault. It was in response to a question sent I sent to him reguarding the status of the Oldsmobile Club of Canada...

Hi Henry: I see that the Olds Club of Canada website is gone. Could you please tell me what is going on?

Thanks

Jay Golden

Here's what he sent me...

any day now you will receive a letter from Keith (Moore) that will tell you in details of what is happening, not very good news, i will attach the letter that is coming your way so you can get it now, very sorry to dilever[sic] this news..............Henry

(attachment)
Dear OCC Member,
It is my solemn duty to inform you that effective immediately the Oldsmobile Club of Canada has ceased to operate.
At a recent meeting of the Board of OCC, a unanimous decision was made by the executive members that the OCC should be discontinued. In addition, all of the members of the executive tendered their personal resignations. Please understand that we did not make this decision lightly. After many attempts to solicit assistance from members of the club, through the newsletters, web site requests and personal contact we met with absolutely no success. Only one member came forward to offer assistance. The other members of the executive and myself would have continued to serve the club into the future if the membership had come forward to fill all of the vacancies in the executive. Despite our urgent appeal for help, only one person submitted their name for nomination in the fall elections.
Enclosed with this letter is a copy of the club’s financial statement for 2010. Please contact the treasurer if you have concerns about any aspect of the financial operation of the club. If you prepaid your 2011 membership dues, a refund cheque is also enclosed with this letter. The website will be taken down shortly. The bank account will be closed after the last refund cheque clears and if there are any funds left at that time, they will be donated (along with the Helen Early Award) to the R E Olds Museum in Lansing, Mi.
It is our sincere wish that each of you will continue your association with the Oldsmobile brand. If you have not already done so, we encourage you to join the OCA. Perhaps some members may want to form a new Olds Club within their local area and start up under a new name. If so, please contact me as we would be happy to donate any left over items such as unused trophies, draw prizes, goody bag items, signage, stationery and assorted equipment. As this club has not really been a national entity it is best to put the name of the OCC to rest. As the OCC logo is hereby retired we will not be donating any logo merchandise to a start-up club. However the few remaining items of logo merchandise (shirts, jackets) can be purchased at the club cost and the ensuing proceeds will be added to the amount being donated to the Olds Museum.
Sincerely,
Keith (Moore)
President OCC

FYI
Jaybird

Last edited by Jaybird; February 6th, 2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old February 6th, 2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
Sorry but I don't agree. North American , South American, or Middle American.
You can't just drop the North, South, or Middle because the USA comprise the only "Americans".

Canadians don't call themselves Americans.
Neither do Mexicans.
Careful. You'll soon be accused of being a "patriotic nut."

By the way, it' "Central" America (you know, Panama, Costa Rica, that sort of thing), not "Middle" America. Middle America is what the east and west-coasters fly over to visit each other other!
Old February 6th, 2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jaybird
Here's what he send me...
Jaybird, very interesting. Thanks for typing all that in. At least they addressed the issue of a refund of pre-paid dues.
Old February 6th, 2011, 12:52 PM

Hey jaunty75: It's called cut and paste!

Jaybird
Old February 6th, 2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jaybird
Hey jaunty75: It's called cut and paste!
My bad. I missed that. I thought you had received a paper letter.
Old February 6th, 2011, 01:15 PM

I've decided I like "patriotic nut" so much that I've changed the phrase under my username at the left. I'll probably eventually change it back to what it was at some point, or maybe something else new, like "thumb in your eye" or something else equally suitable. But for now, patriotic nut has a nice ring to it.
Old February 6th, 2011, 02:08 PM

I've decided I like "patriotic nut" so much that I've changed the phrase under my username at the left. I'll probably eventually change it back to what it was at some point, or maybe something else new, like "thumb in your eye" or something else equally suitable. But for now, patriotic nut has a nice ring to it.
"Patriotic nut" looks good on you. My father wasn't born in Canada so I grew up hearing how great Canada was....so I guess I'm your counter-part on this side of the border.
Old February 6th, 2011, 02:11 PM

jaunty, guys like you make me proud to be canadian! (i hope my punctuation is correct)
Old February 6th, 2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by stan 65 cutlass
jaunty, guys like you make me proud to be canadian! (i hope my punctuation is correct)
Yes, it is, and it's guys like you that make me glad you are Canadian!

Actually, I heard a good joke about the niceness of Canadians. In a crowded room, how do you tell who the Canadian is? Step on people's toes until someone apologizes.

Quick Reply: Olds Club of Canada Dead