The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

New OCA recall petition

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2012, 07:58 PM

New OCA recall petition

I don't know how many of this board are members of OCA, but there is a new petition to recall some of the current OCA officers. It seems like ever since the new group of officers have been in office there has been a concentrated effort to get rid of the last of the old group that was re-elected to continue in their positions. I don't remember there being so much animosity in the OCA about who is in what position. I have been a member since 1989 (017262) and the group that was in power before Pat Yancy, got caught with their hand in the till and it was proven by actual facts. Since Pat was voted out, there has been some members that have been holding a personal grudge against him and some of the others that were officers. Where were these people when the other group was ruining the clubs reputation? This is supposed to be a fun club to be a member of, but there have been some that want to keep stirring things up and won't quit until their personal friends are put in office.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 07:18 AM

I am an OCA member. I agree that all the feuding/backbiting is getting more than old!
Old December 3rd, 2012, 07:25 AM

I am a member as well and this has been going on since the new slate of officers took office. Seems to be a sign of the times you would think these were political offices the way they in-fight. Its time to flood the OCA with letters to show that the members are displeased with these childish actions
Old December 3rd, 2012, 07:44 AM
Oldsdruid

I've been in since 1983 and even in the 1998-2002 timeframe it was not as bad as it is now. What I'm hearing is the current OCA president has a penchant for trying to hold the JWO hostage to get what he wants.

He's gonna keep on with his **** and someone in the membership is going to file a class action lawsuit against OCA for failure to deliver the magazine, and the OCA will be no more.

I've heard from several of the appointed positions who have been in them since the DeNovi years, and they have all said they have never seen an OCA president so hell-bent on destroying the club. I've also heard from membership including board members who say he reminds them of an HOA president.

I constantly hear from people trying to convince me to run for ASE director again. I did my time in that rodeo and can't say as I want the extra aggravation in my life right now. I came too close to punching another OCA president in the mouth in 2001, so I knew then it was time to get away from it.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 08:51 AM
" Hoo yah "

I dropped out of OCA shortly after the last election. I was having issues with not receiving my JWO magazine. I grew tired of that because I had no issues before. All I had to do was call Shalene and it was taken care. The climate we live in today with any type of change of power is just out of hand. No comprimise on anything from car clubs up to you know what. Damn shame imo.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 02:48 PM

Two sides to every story.

Last edited by Boldsmobile; December 4th, 2012 at 04:04 AM.
Old December 4th, 2012, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Boldsmobile
Two sides to every story.
An interesting comment, for these reasons:
1-It is true!
2-Unfortunately, the membership is only hearing one side of the story, and it is from the distaff side.
3-The reporters are anonymous, which raises credibility questions.

It is getting old, old, old!
Old December 4th, 2012, 10:49 AM

What I'm wondering is what is the big deal with the CD? We can read the balance sheet to see it exists. What is the problem? Seems to me like somebody is jealous because their name isn't on the signature list. This person can't can it in by themselves, the same as Gene Crowdis can't cash it in. It is available for club use for future needs. No one person can get it cashed by themselves. Maybe it is an ego trip. There is a lot of that going on in the club now.
Old December 4th, 2012, 12:13 PM
"me somebody" site member

Never been much of a club joiner, as it ALWAYS seems to end up being about big dogs and their egos (just like an HOA, like someone else said). I joined OCA in 2000 just to show my car at a local national event. I liked getting JWO that year, but not enough to re-up. Next time the Nats are held within my driving radius, I may join again.

If they still exist.
Old December 4th, 2012, 01:05 PM

Ed, since you seem to know the facts, who can cash the CD? Who is on the signature card? Apparently the OCA by laws say the Pres. must sign any contract, but he said he is not on the CD and he cannot find out who is on it. I am glad that you are sure the money is safe.
Old December 4th, 2012, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
Ed, since you seem to know the facts, who can cash the CD? Who is on the signature card? Apparently the OCA by laws say the Pres. must sign any contract, but he said he is not on the CD and he cannot find out who is on it. I am glad that you are sure the money is safe.
I don't know anything except there is a lot of crap going on that started after the last election. I have no knowledge of any CD's except what is mentioned in the JWO financial report. Have no idea who is on the signature card. Why is there so much bickering about who is on the sig card, the current president should be one of the signatures according to club bylaws. If he is not on the card, why was his name not put on it after the last election? All changes should have occurred then. No one person can cash it in. And since it is probably (I don't know this either) in OCA's treasurer's possession, why does the current president, or board of directors, or whoever, want it so bad. They can't do anything with it either. I'll go on record now saying the OCA won't last another two years, or less, if this crap doesn't stop.

Also, if there is a recall petition being circulated, Who is it being sent to? I certainly haven't gotten it. But maybe it is being sent to the ones that are assured of a positive vote only.

Last edited by edzolz; December 4th, 2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old December 5th, 2012, 05:36 AM
Lansing built

Just received my JWO there is no mention of a recall. And I also have not received anything in the mail.

Pat
Old December 5th, 2012, 09:19 AM

Please read the 2011 Financial Compilation found in the Oct 2012 JWO.
In writing is a violation of the OCA bylaws, read it carefully.
In writing is either a mathematical calculation of $247k or the OCA actually has two Certificates worth +$247k.
Im not taking sides, im not making accusations. I am stating 2 facts.
Old December 5th, 2012, 10:40 AM

Does anybody know how to access the bylaws? I would like to read them and see for myself what the actual wording is. never mind, I found them.

Last edited by edzolz; December 5th, 2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old December 5th, 2012, 12:20 PM

For those who can't find the Bylaws and the Policy manual:
http://www.oldsmobileclub.org/
highlight "about" and click on what you want.
Old December 5th, 2012, 02:08 PM

More people should read them. Knowing the bylaws and policy manual will help you realize the whole story vs selective truths.
Old December 5th, 2012, 02:33 PM

More people should read them. Knowing the bylaws and policy manual will help you realize the whole story vs selective truths.
Pete

The problem is, with no way for leaders of the club to address the constituency, (other than a printed JWO that's probably months behind), there's no way for members to tell if the by-laws were violated. I appreciate that you may have seen something that's concerns you but the leaders of the organization are the ones that should be initiating action.

Edit
I see they have the new website up. That's a good first step.

Last edited by allyolds68; December 5th, 2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old December 5th, 2012, 04:21 PM

I don't understand why this org isn't more digital and socially connected.

Nothing against the JWO but how about I pay a reduced membership fee if I get it via email?

How about a forum on their web page.

How about a Facebook page? Even the NAOC has a Facebook page.

Why not take the $247k and use it to modernize or find a way to bring in new members. Most younger kids can't afford the cars that majority of the membership own. What are we doing to bring in Alero,Bravada and Aurora owners ? Seems to me that is the youngest untapped demographic we have to pursue.

How about taking a poll to ask the members what they want?

I don't have all the answers and I don't mean to assume some of what I have been saying hasn't been thought of or discussed amongst the board. All I know is what I see and experience as a member.
Old December 5th, 2012, 04:46 PM

I don't understand why this org isn't more digital and socially connected.

Nothing against the JWO but how about I pay a reduced membership fee if I get it via email?

How about a forum on their web page.

How about a Facebook page? Even the NAOC has a Facebook page.

Why not take the $247k and use it to modernize or find a way to bring in new members. Most younger kids can't afford the cars that majority of the membership own. What are we doing to bring in Alero,Bravada and Aurora owners ? Seems to me that is the youngest untapped demographic we have to pursue.

How about taking a poll to ask the members what they want?

I don't have all the answers and I don't mean to assume some of what I have been saying hasn't been thought of or discussed amongst the board. All I know is what I see and experience as a member.
They are all valid points. On the news section of the new website it talks about a "members only" section they are planning on rolling out in the next few months.

I e-mail Brad Bishop a few years ago asking about an electronic version of JWO and was told there were no plans to do it. I think Brad does a good job with JWO but I have to wonder if part of the reason they don't do it is that he may not have the skill set required to produce it that way. I know he's a member here so maybe he can enlighten us a little. The printing and mailing costs for JWO account for a huge portion of the yearly budget. I threw out my October issue, so I can't tell you for sure, but it's like 75% of the operating budget. I think in general less tech savey people feel if you offer an electronic version people will "steal it" and give it to all their friends. The NE Olds clubs newsletter is electronic. Apparently they didn't worry about it.

I was just looking at the new website. Why isn't there a Treasurer listed?

Last edited by allyolds68; December 5th, 2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old December 5th, 2012, 05:03 PM

That does seem rather strange that the Treasurer's name isn't listed on the OCA website.............to me, anyway. No doubt an oversight on someone's part..........
Old December 5th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Olds Nut

here is the secret to everything...LOL....if it makes sense they think its stupid
Old December 5th, 2012, 05:42 PM

I let my membership lapse in August 2009, I joined in 1988 went to my first Nationals in 1990 and then a few more. Met a lot of great people and a few ***** as well. After the internet the OCA had little to offer, I saw no reason to continue support for an expensive magazine. (I got a whole pile of em if anybody is interested). I hold no grudges against the OCA or any of it's officers or board members past or present, it just does not suit me anymore.

The goofy rule that you must be a National member to be a local member.... the Arizona chapter does not get my support either. As far as I am concerned RIP OCA.
Old December 5th, 2012, 05:55 PM

Im going to apologize. There is a Facebook page. I'm not sure how I missed that.
Old December 5th, 2012, 06:10 PM
General Confusion

Not a member , but I can see why the "club " has a problem.

$247k

right there it is.

$247k

its all about who is in control of...

$247k
Old December 5th, 2012, 06:17 PM

It took me years before i took the plunge to get a computer and a cell phone. i did not want anything to do with them. now that i have i understand that i was wrong about my ideas of avoiding it. I think the OCA is like i was, they had best get with the times or the market will leave them behind. They will become nothing more than a national show organizer.... not sure they are much more than that now. I almost think it is to late for them to even start there own forum. between CO and the others, how many are interested in another forum? and one that will require dues to be part of? I think to many people are on the net and don't think to or want to send in articles for the JWO. I like the JWO but i am as bad as the next person and spend my time here and not sending anything in to JWO.

I have been a member under my dads name since the 80s. I was young enough that he just made the membership out in his name. I contacted them years ago to see if they would switch his name for mine because it was always for me and not him. They wanted me to start a new membership and loose my long term membership under my dads name. The past couple years i have wondered if it is worth even messing with anymore.
Old December 5th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Registered Luser

I've been a member for a short 5 years, and must say, not very impressed. I, like aliensatemybuick, joined to be involved on the local level, as well as I wanted to attend National Meets. The JWO has outlived it's lifespan IMO, and a web based format is the way to go now. This is the 21st century. Just because our cars are old, doesn't mean this club needs to be. I always say, " if you are going to complain, then try to do a better job yourself", but like has been pointed out, ego's can sometimes get in the way for the greater good of the group. Lower the membership fees, don't put JWO in print anymore, and lets figure out a way to recruit the younger generation....that won't be easy, but if JWO was web based, we could have a suggestion page, where we could all leave thoughtful ideas....we could also have a build section or restoration section....a tech section, photo album section, heck, pretty much what we have here, along with a blog. Why can't we just use that money sitting there, and buy this forum? Make some changes here, and I wouldn't even mind paying a membership fee to help keep this going....I could go on, but the possibilities are endless. Best part, it is constantly being updated 24/7 365....
Old December 5th, 2012, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by a64olz
I let my membership lapse in August 2009, I joined in 1988 went to my first Nationals in 1990 and then a few more. Met a lot of great people and a few ***** as well. After the internet the OCA had little to offer, I saw no reason to continue support for an expensive magazine. (I got a whole pile of em if anybody is interested). I hold no grudges against the OCA or any of it's officers or board members past or present, it just does not suit me anymore.

The goofy rule that you must be a National member to be a local member.... the Arizona chapter does not get my support either. As far as I am concerned RIP OCA.
My story is similar. I was a member for about 5 years but let my membership lapse in 2009 because all I was getting for my $55 was a magazine I was not reading. There was little web-based activity and there is no local chapter where I live (Central NJ. When I joined, I signed with the LI Chapter but never made any meetings). I asked OCA about a NJ club and they asked me if I wanted to start it up!

I was strongly thinking about rejoining in 2013 now that I have my 442. But I may wait now that I'm hearing about all this childish bickering. There's not too many things I despise more than adults acting like little kids. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old December 5th, 2012, 08:28 PM

We have serious problems in this club that need to be addressed. The information that is circling about our current Treasurer is very disheartening. The guy may not have stolen any money but the attitudes of him and the rest of the Board need to be called into question. Some of the Board members have called for everyone to step down and have a new vote...that seems like a great idea to me.

Why doesn't our club take advantage of facebook, email, forums, etc? We are still stuck in 1995 with our current web based technology. Some of the ideas I have read on this and other site are exactly what we need!

Our magazine is pretty thin so say the least. There is little reason to get excited when JWO shows up because one can finish reading the thing in 10 minutes.

Does our club do anything to get involved in the hobby? I don't think we do any advertising or have any deals with parts suppliers/etc....can't we get discounts for members in exchange for ads in our magazine or website?

Doesn't our club sponsor anything? The local chapters shoulder the burden of the Nationals....what else is the club involved in? What does club membership offer.

As an adviser the program is pretty bad...we have no support. There is no membership roster to view, no requirements other than to ask to be an adviser...we don't even have our contact info online! When I had articles published in JWO my adviser title wasn't in the heading anywhere...you would think that would be important for members to see their adviser wrote an article.
Old December 5th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
I have been a member under my dads name since the 80s. I was young enough that he just made the membership out in his name. I contacted them years ago to see if they would switch his name for mine because it was always for me and not him. They wanted me to start a new membership and loose my long term membership under my dads name. The past couple years i have wondered if it is worth even messing with anymore.
Eric, your membership should have been listed as an associate membership. Try this when it comes up for renewal: renew it in YOUR name and put your Dad as an associate member. Worst they can do is say no, but if needed PM me and I'll give you Shar's contact info.
Old December 5th, 2012, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
I e-mail Brad Bishop a few years ago asking about an electronic version of JWO and was told there were no plans to do it. I think Brad does a good job with JWO but I have to wonder if part of the reason they don't do it is that he may not have the skill set required to produce it that way.
I find this hard to believe. If one has the skill set to produce the magazine at all, and surely it's done via computer these days, then one has the capacity to click a few buttons and produce a pdf version of it. I produced the Mid-Ohio Chapter newsletter for a couple of years before moving out of the area, and about 80% of the members received it via email as a pdf. It was the ones who still wanted it mailed for one reason or another who took up all my time and cost most of the money!
Old December 5th, 2012, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
The problem is, with no way for leaders of the club to address the constituency, (other than a printed JWO that's probably months behind)
I disagree with this. There most certainly IS a way to address the entire membership quickly and easily.

Email.

They don't now, but they could easily ASK for your email address when you join or renew. Hell, I get asked for an email address on nearly any form I fill out now, whether it's to renew my car's registration, get a credit card, or board my dog at the local kennel. Now I realize that not everyone is online, but I would guess the vast majority of the membership is, and a periodic mass email from the president or whoever addressing current issues, would be easy to do and be welcomed.

I get these kinds of emails all the time from other organizations to which I am a member. And maybe those who don't have email access yet would be encouraged to go out and get it as a result.
Old December 6th, 2012, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I find this hard to believe. If one has the skill set to produce the magazine at all, and surely it's done via computer these days, then one has the capacity to click a few buttons and produce a pdf version of it. I produced the Mid-Ohio Chapter newsletter for a couple of years before moving out of the area, and about 80% of the members received it via email as a pdf. It was the ones who still wanted it mailed for one reason or another who took up all my time and cost most of the money!
I think he has the skills or knows people that could handle an E version of JWO. Im thinking its not his call to offer an E JWO.

Brads company.

http://www.torchcreative.com/
Old December 6th, 2012, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by 85CieraHoliday

Our magazine is pretty thin so say the least. There is little reason to get excited when JWO shows up because one can finish reading the thing in 10 minutes.
The only ones to blame for this are the members, JWO articles are member driven. If no one submits a story, tech article, etc then JWO has nothing to publish besides ads. Brad will feature your car, just write up a nice story with good photos. Really all there is to it, and who wouldnt want to see their car in a magazine?
Old December 6th, 2012, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by TK-65
I think he has the skills or knows people that could handle an E version of JWO. Im thinking its not his call to offer an E JWO.
Exactly. It's not that he doesn't have the skills to do it. It's that he doesn't have the mandate.

Several organizations to which I belong have recently gone to electronic-only versions of their newsletters for the base membership cost. If you want to receive a paper copy, you pay more. This is what Boldsmobile suggested above, and he's exactly right.

Not that the post office wants to hear it, but the OCA could save lots of money by going to an electronic version of JWO.
Old December 6th, 2012, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
I've been in since 1983 and even in the 1998-2002 timeframe it was not as bad as it is now. What I'm hearing is the current OCA president has a penchant for trying to hold the JWO hostage to get what he wants.

He's gonna keep on with his **** and someone in the membership is going to file a class action lawsuit against OCA for failure to deliver the magazine, and the OCA will be no more.

I've heard from several of the appointed positions who have been in them since the DeNovi years, and they have all said they have never seen an OCA president so hell-bent on destroying the club. I've also heard from membership including board members who say he reminds them of an HOA president.

I constantly hear from people trying to convince me to run for ASE director again. I did my time in that rodeo and can't say as I want the extra aggravation in my life right now. I came too close to punching another OCA president in the mouth in 2001, so I knew then it was time to get away from it.
What you are hearing is not supported by the facts. The new contract for the JWO Editor was held up by several Board members, not the President. Request the meeting minutes from your Zone Director (aka Board member) to follow the process step by step.
Old December 6th, 2012, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
That does seem rather strange that the Treasurer's name isn't listed on the OCA website.............to me, anyway. No doubt an oversight on someone's part..........
It is odd.

How are you Aron? Say hello to Juju for me. Boys are both out of braces and my garage is going up , hope to be moved in for Xmas. Happy Holiays to you and yours.
Old December 6th, 2012, 02:05 PM

The Treasurer's name and contact information was not included on the new website because he refused authorization to place his name on the website, along with several other Board members. I have the emails to back this up. There was no oversight or conspiracy there. I did notice that the Treasurer does allow his name and contact information to be up on the North Texas Olds website though.
Old December 6th, 2012, 02:09 PM

Regarding electronic distribution of JWO. The Board voted to include past copies of JWO on the new website, but they did not want the immediate issue posted until 30-45 days after publication. We are in the process of scanning all issues, back to Issue #1 for member perusal in the Member's Only section. We have not gotten these posted yet, but are working on it. Based on the Board votes, I do not believe JWO will ever be an electronic-only publication.
Old December 6th, 2012, 02:15 PM

Here are the amounts in the certificate of deposit according to reports that have been furnished by the Treasurer in the 2011 Finacial Committee Report that was submitted to the Board in mid-June 2012:

Date Amount
July 28, 2010 $242,148.31
December 31, 2010 $243,088.24
December 31, 2011 $247,488.80

In a Bank of Texas document furnished by the Treasurer in September 2012, it is reported that the initial amount in the certificate of deposit on July 28, 2010 was $247,488.80. This is an obvious error - but it is on a document that appears to have been issued by the Bank of Texas and bears the signature of the Treasurer.

The annual percentage interest rate for the 17-month term from July 28, 2010 to December 28, 2011 was 1.55%.

The annual percentage interest rate for the 17-month term from December 28, 2011 to May 28, 2013 is 0.70%.
In early January 2012, certificates of deposit were readily available at 1.00% from other banks.

Projecting the value of the certificate of deposit at the reported rate of 0.70%, value of the certificate of deposit would be approximately $249,200.

On page 10, of the October 2012 issue of Journey With Olds, it appears that there are two certificates of deposit held by the OCA:

Current Assets
31-Dec-11
Checking/Savings
ViewPoint Checking $ 29,747.68
ViewPoint Money Market $ 32,068.16
Total Checking/Savings $ 61,815.84
Other Current Assets
Certificates of Deposit $247,488.80
OCA National Advance $ 5,000.00
Other Current Assets $ 450.00
Texas Bank Certificate $247,884.80
Total Current Assets $314,754.64

The value of Total Current Assets cannot be confirmed with the information provided as a result of an error. The error is the inclusion of the "Texas Bank Certificate" - which apparently is a redundant reference the certificate of deposit that is held by the Bank of Texas. However, the number appears to be an inaccurate representation of the amount that was reported above. The subtotal for the "Other Current Assets" was omitted.

I have all the documentation to support these numbers and facts.

Last edited by wuzsup; December 6th, 2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old December 6th, 2012, 07:00 PM

Above is what I was referencing in post 13. I should have typed miscalculation instead of calculation.

Quick Reply: New OCA recall petition