The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2021, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, I'll keep you bride in my prayers
James - ???, did you intend to offer prayers for Greg's wife and her kidney condition? If not, then I don't get it?
Old October 20th, 2021, 09:33 AM

Sorry I did.
Old October 20th, 2021, 09:52 AM

Sorry I did.
Not a problem, just wanted to direct your prayers in the right direction. At first, I thought you might just be offering prayers in general to my wife for having to put up with me!
Old October 20th, 2021, 01:02 PM

Jamesbo, glad you're back, ya had us worried. Chris, cherry filling does go with chocolate very well.
Old October 20th, 2021, 03:27 PM
Always room for one more

Good visit at the doctor. He was pleased that I lost a whopping 2 pounds and he didn't say anything about the Awful house. Everything was accomplished that I wanted and then some. I absolutely love my doctor. He could hit me in the face with an anvil and I'd still think it was a good experience.

Jamesbo that will make it easier to go up to your place. I won't need any kind of a trailer. Do you have the M38 already? Why not go for the flat fender Jeep?

A couple years ago I was searching for a 1976 Eldorado convertible. Came close on a couple, never was able to get one. I did a lot of research and I said, if I ended up getting a different kind of convertible I'd consider buying an Eldorado coupe, I just like them that much. So last week a beautiful blue and white coupe pops up on craigslist, and here I am waiting on this yutz to get back with me about an Impala SS. I *think I'd rather have the Impala, but that Eldorado is absolutely gorgeous. But it's in Knoxville. I hate going to Knoxville. It's only 4 hours but it's such an awful drive it seems like it takes forever. So I don't know which one to hope for. Oh and I found a Valiant in Indianapolis. I don't think I'd go all the way up there for a Valiant. But you never know.

Time to relax a little and then hit the sack. It's felt like Saturday all day. Got to go to work tomorrow, so no lollygagging around tonight. Got 6 in a row coming up, then off a week and a half.

Okay have a good evening everyone.

Old October 20th, 2021, 03:46 PM

Mike, because I have a round fender trailer
Old October 20th, 2021, 04:22 PM

Good evening guys,
Hectic day today. Wife had her annual physical today, so I took her to that, and then immediately on to a lab to have her blood work and UA drawn. Got home and the mail had came. We had gotten our EOB from our dental insurance a few days ago for all her dental surgery. Pretty much what I expected, but it said I had overpaid the surgery center by about $250 when I paid them the upfront estimated amount we would owe above and beyond our insurance. Now today, I get a bill from the oral surgery center telling me I owe them another $165. Something is not jiving here! I absolutely hate dealing with insurance matters, it sucks, big time!

Got my truck back. The main hard brake line running from the front all the way to the back had broken from rust. The whole line was replaced, as well as the soft lines at each of the wheels because they were badly cracked and deteriorated. Total cost, $350. I have no idea if that is good or bad these days as I have car repairs done so seldom. But I trust the guy, and I don't want there to be a safety issue with it, especially with my kids borrowing it quite a bit.

My wife sold another table and 4 chair set today. Someone's supposed to be here within the hour to pick it up. She just finished up another tea cart (pic). I can't believe people want those things, but apparently they're all the rage right now for coffee or serving stations..

Well, that's more than enough for now. Hope everyone had a great day and has a relaxing evening!

Old October 20th, 2021, 04:46 PM
Always room for one more

Mike, because I have a round fender trailer
That makes perfect sense. Can't wait to see you in a parade.

Old October 20th, 2021, 05:33 PM

Flat fender jeeps made me think of one of my 4 wheelin buddies. His 53(?) looks so small compared to my '98.

Old October 20th, 2021, 05:40 PM

I learned to drive on a 78 CJ7. It went from used, to woods vehicle, to second woods vehicle, to project, to parts, to dead from about 1980 to 2019. My dad gave it to his mechanic in about 2012 or so. We got that thing stuck a few times. We'd get done hunting in the morning, sit on the hood with feet on the bumper, and eat a danish before driving around before heading back to camp at noon for lunch with everyone. It and my dad and I were a lot younger then, circa 89 or so. I have a picture or three some place.

My friend says she's a jeep girl and does all the ducks thing, and I had to tell her I was driving jeeps before she was born.
Old October 20th, 2021, 05:43 PM

It's definitely the little Jeep that can. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but some of those loose rocks are nearly as tall as the tires.

Old October 20th, 2021, 05:43 PM

Mike, if that Eldo is a nice car, it would be my choice over an Impala that needs work.
I can't believe people want those things,
Chris, her work is outstanding, and have an appealing look to them, so I can see why they sell. Kenneth, the new jeeps, as you know are even larger. They have a much larger presence than years gone by. My buddy had a '76 CJ5 Levi's edition way back 'round 1980, it was a blast, and sometimes i think that i would like one, but I am sure that it would beat the hell out of me.
Old October 20th, 2021, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, her work is outstanding, and have an appealing look to them, so I can see why they sell.
Dan - Thanks again for the compliments on my wife's work. I agree 100% she does outstanding work. Folks are getting a real bargain based on how meticulous and conscientious she is about putting out a superior product. She is very proud of her online 5-Star rating from her customers.

I've had several 4x4's thru the years. The closest thing to a Jeep was something even smaller that the old Jeeps, it was a Suzuki Samurai. It was a fun little car, with the removable soft top and doors. Never did any serious off-roading in it to the degree of the pics Kenneth shared, but did regularly take it hunting on some pretty rough, muddy, or snowy, backwoods trails and it was very capable. The wheelbase was so short and the springs so stiff it was rough as a cobb to ride in just going down an average street. I had an early 80's Nissan Supercab 4x4 that was a great off-road truck, especially after I added a lift kit and oversize tires.
Old October 20th, 2021, 09:56 PM

Chris, those pics are one of the easier trails that the ‘53 with its “oversize” 30 inch diameter tires can navigate. There are a lot of areas that are substantially more, shall we say, rugged, and you know in advance to expect body damage and/or broken suspension parts. One such is notoriously named Axle Alley.

Last edited by Fun71; October 20th, 2021 at 10:03 PM.
Old October 21st, 2021, 12:43 AM
GCH

Yesterday i was visiting my brother to se his progress in the garage build and when i
should drive home it was really dark outside . And i hit a small deer with my Dynamic ,
the deer was dead and i could not se any damage in front of the Olds but should look
more in the daylight today.

Old October 21st, 2021, 03:30 AM

At one point I had 2 jeeps CJ 5 and an M 38 A 1, got the M 38 stuck in a plowed field. Tried to pull it out with the CJ 5 and got both of them in mud up to the floor boards. Hiked out to call a wrecker. Pulled out all of his cable, then added wll of his chain. Wouldn't reach.

Boys,this is the last piece of chain I got left "
What I use to pull out stuck tractors "
Each link was about 5 lbs. Pulled the heavy chain through the mud. With 1 foot to spare

Got both jeeps out at dark
Note to self. Stay out of plowed fields

Pulling a M 38 A 1 with a CJ 5 is one of the dumbest things I've ever done. The M 38 weighted twice as much and you had to pull it through curves or it would take the CJ 5 off the road
Old October 21st, 2021, 04:45 AM

Glenn, I hope there is no damage to your car, look it over good- there usually is. Looks like a white tail deer, that's what we have here- lots of car deer accidents.
Chris, glad you got truck fixed, I would say any time you can get a repair done for less than a grand, it's a bargain. Sounds like he is a good guy.
James, thanks for the prayers/ well wishes.
Kenneth, a friend of mine goes to Arizona for the winters, He told me about all the 4x4 groups that go out on the rocks- looks like fun, but I'm sure it can be pricey especially if you break and have the cost or recovery on top of the cost of repairs. Ahhh, all hobbies are expensive.
I've been working out on the trails clearing them back- seems to take forever. I still need to take out boat and dock, though I am glad I left in as we have taken some nice rides in October. AND, I still haven't started on the leaves! I hate racking/ blowing leaves, but I need to start soon. One year we got snow in early November and it never melted until spring, that is a mess, wet nasty half rotted leaves. Not good....
Old October 21st, 2021, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Chris, those pics are one of the easier trails that the ‘53 with its “oversize” 30 inch diameter tires can navigate. There are a lot of areas that are substantially more, shall we say, rugged, and you know in advance to expect body damage and/or broken suspension parts. One such is notoriously named Axle Alley.
Kenneth - That sounds fun, but expensive, especially if you don't have a barn full of spare parts. When I was still hunting alot, I always had an "extra" older 4x4 off road vehicle that I didn't really care if it got scratched, dented, or beat up, but nothing like serious off roading and rock crawling you're doing. I always wondered what the military grade humvees would be like to own and how they would perform off road. Anyone you know out there have one?
Old October 21st, 2021, 06:43 AM

Good morning guys,

Glenn - I hope your car is not damaged.

Greg - Thanks for your comments on getting the truck fixed. It's good to have someone I trust to work on it when I need it. With it getting pretty old (21-years), and sitting outside 100% of the time, I hope it doesn't start nickel and dimeing me to death..

Not too much on the agenda today, other than calling the oral surgery center where my wife had her work done. Going to have to try to get to the bottom of the disconnect between what my insurance is saying and what the surgery center is saying, I'm not looking forward to that.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old October 21st, 2021, 07:41 AM

M 100 jeep trailer

Mike have you seen all the cool things some people are doing to Power wagons?
I've always wanted a M 37 but they are so slow
it could be a new ball game now

Like most things all it takes is a pile of cash
Old October 21st, 2021, 08:28 AM
GCH

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Glenn, I hope there is no damage to your car, look it over good- there usually is. Looks like a white tail deer, that's what we have here- lots of car deer accidents.
Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Glenn - I hope your car is not damaged.
Thanks have not seen anything yet but should look more. Luckely the speed was low , can not se
any hair or marks under the car. Maybe the deer bounced to other side of the road were i found it.
Had a nice time in the woods this afternoon with sunny warm weather

Last edited by GCH; October 21st, 2021 at 08:38 AM.
Old October 21st, 2021, 10:59 AM

M 100 jeep trailer
Cool old trailer James! Restored Power Wagons are going for big bucks right now and very desirable. I always liked them. The landscaping company I worked for in highschool had an early 70's one in their small fleet of work trucks. Everyone wanted to drive the Power Wagon over the Fords and Chevys they had. It was a cool truck.
Old October 21st, 2021, 11:11 AM

Hey guys,

Man, it's downright chilly here right now at 1 in the afternoon, 56 degrees, overcast, and windy. Really feels like Fall out there!

Well, chalk one up for me, Chris 1, Oral Surgery Center 0. Talked to their billing department this morning and they agreed their billing statement was in error. Instead of me owing an extra $165, they're sending me a check for $205. I should be happy, but I'm still a little aggravated thinking of all the people who probably get bills like that and don't question them because the statements themselves are so damn confusing, with a bunch of jargon they just don't understand. I hate thinking of all the folks that probably get taken advantage of.
Old October 21st, 2021, 12:18 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

My second Monday of the week went okay. As per the norm lately, we got all big wheels and didn't finish. Some people were staying over. It seems our glut of main wheels of late is because we couldn't get tires, and the system is actually low on these tires. So when a bad main wheel would come in it would stay outside. But now that we have tires, all those wheels are coming in and getting worked, thus what we are dealing with. We were told today that we're working Saturday but not Sunday. Not enough people wanted to work Sunday. Hey you can put me down for some double time!

You know Chris that is usually my first thought. If some entity, such as your dentist, doesn't want you to do something, they will make the process so difficult that you'll give up and give in. You'd think they would quit messing with you, since they know that you will scrutinize every bill and call every time.

Jamesbo I like that trailer. Now I really wish I would have had something to come get it with. You got a line on an M38?

Dan the Eldorado looks nice in pictures, but it's 4+ hours away. Guy doesn't want to talk on the phone about it, he says just come see it. Odd. Since the guy with the Impala has put me off for three weeks, I'm growing less enthused about it.

Got some stuff to take to the other house. Man it's beautiful out. One more to go for the normal workers.

Old October 21st, 2021, 02:01 PM

Mike, no I don't but they are every where and prices all over the map
Old October 21st, 2021, 03:49 PM
Always room for one more

I thought I was gonna blow my stack this afternoon. The guy I bought my new house from had a bunch of junk sitting everywhere, lots of scrap metal. He had no intention of cleaning it up. He told my other neighbor he could come and pick all the metal up and take it to the scrap place. This was after closing. Said neighbor tells his kid to go clean it up if he wants the money for it. The kid is a $hitkicker and has to find something to sell to the recycler so he can eat. So I go over there and get out of the car and think, gawd, what is that smell? I look around the corner and here's the kid in the back yard loading up whatever he can get his hands on, and in the meantime dumped something over that had old motor oil in it. So now I have this huge mess on my concrete patio. He says he's made several trips and at one point a neighbor came over and started taking pictures of him. I guess I'll find out what he took of mine when I go to look for it and it isn't there. I was looking over his trailer saying that stays, that stays... He said, I still have a few more things to get. I said you are now done. I don't want you over here when I'm not here. Holy toledo. Why do these people think they can come raid my yard for whatever they want, anytime they want? He was ready to load up my garden fence and green stakes that I had taken over for Tiger. That would have been the end of him.

Jamesbo maybe you can answer this. Does whatever is left at the property at closing automatically transfer to the new owner of the property? Possession was on closing. I knew a lot of the stuff left was going to eventually go, and I didn't give a timeline for it to go, but can the previous owner tell anyone else to come get it after closing? Really I don't much care, but it is my place, and there needs to be boundaries. I damn sure am going to tell my neighbor the place is off limits when I'm not there.

Whew, ranting over. Now to worry about that oil slick on the patio. When it rains water gets under the door into the basement and I get quite a bit of water on the floor. I can't imagine the mess I'd have if that oil water got under the door and into the basement. So I fired up the tractor and dumped a bunch of dirt to make sort of a dam. That will make its own mess but I hope it will keep the oil water from going too far. I'll have to do something about all that this weekend.

For this evening I'm relaxing a little. I think I'll go in early tomorrow. Twelve hours of overtime this week should do me.

Old October 21st, 2021, 04:01 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - How old is this $HITKICKER? If he's living at home, you need to go directly to his parent(s) and tell them that kid stays off your property. Then, you need to call the dirt bag loathing scum you bought the house from and tell him under no circumstances are you waiting one more MF'ing minute to have him get rid of his $HIT. Enough is enough. I thought you closed? I thought the dwelling belonged to you. "YOU" are being taken advantage of. The sooner you grab the bull by the ***** the sooner you can actually have a home. This is ridiculous.
Old October 21st, 2021, 04:06 PM
Running On Empty

I was looking up the person who invented the clothes dryer, since this is such a wonderful appliance (when it is working properly) - a real time saver. Let me count the ways I love my clothes dryer. Anyways, they have several pictures on Wikipedia demonstrating what can happen if you don't clean the lint from your clothes dryer or if you don't install the lint vent correctly. You won't find any lint in my nearly new 36 yr. old completely refurbished clothes dryer.

Kinky Hose - Bad, Bad

Bad Clothes Dryer - Bad, Bad
Old October 21st, 2021, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Whew, ranting over. Now to worry about that oil slick on the patio.
Mike - x10 what Norm said about the neighbors grabbing crap! Nip it, nip it in the bud!

As for the oil slick, go to Walmart or grocery store and get a large bottle of "Dawn" liquid dish soap, get the extra strength if they have it. Spread a thick layer of the soap over the entire area of the slick and let it sit for about an hour, then using some type of stiff bristle brush, scrub the whole area of the stain and then hose it off. The sooner you can do it the better chance you'll have of getting more of it off. I always keep a bottle of Dawn out in the garage in case something springs a leak.
Old October 21st, 2021, 04:35 PM

Mike - One other major point to think about regarding that jackass kid. If he hurts himself over there on your property, whether you're there or not, you can be held liable! Just saying!
Old October 21st, 2021, 04:59 PM
Always room for one more

Norm, can you get the parts to fix that dryer? Holy cow. Once a year or so I bring the leaf blower in and blow out the dryer ducting. That thing really does the job!

Yes they are taking advantage of my good nature. I've chosen the next two weeks to move essential stuff over there and then I will stay there. That will end the comings and goings of the previous guy. He'll have to come when I'm there only. Tiger will have a fit if strangers are lurking around. I think the fact that I'm not there is what is allowing him to drag his feet. That kid I think is probably in his 30s. Lives with a bunch of other people just like him. What a tool. He's nothing like his dad or his brother.

Speaking of Dawn, I usually buy the cheepest dishwashing stuff I can, but when there's an oil spill I always buy big bottles of Dawn. Why? Because they donate lots of their soap to help clean the marine life and other critters affected by the spill. That's really nice.

Okay time for bed. I've had ABBA going on youtube while I puttered around in the kitchen. So I'll put on my wig and this dancing queen will hit the sack. Good night everyone.

Old October 21st, 2021, 07:14 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Norm, can you get the parts to fix that dryer?
I probably can. A fresh coat of paint - good as new.

I'll put on my wig and this dancing queen will hit the sack. Good night everyone.
I suspected you were a little "Off Shore".

Last edited by Vintage Chief; October 21st, 2021 at 07:16 PM.
Old October 21st, 2021, 07:51 PM

De linting the dryer is on my list of things to do. Typically, the owner says I am done and it's all yours. I am about to say that to the buyer of my grandma's home. Once you close, it is yours, and people enter the property only at your pleasure or legal business, so you now own that stuff, and you can give it away, or not, on your terms. Terms are often more forcibly received if given with other large men in your party lending moral support.

Old October 22nd, 2021, 03:29 AM

Mike, here's the problem. You purchased his ( former owner) real property not his personal property.

A good real estate agent should have covered in a separate agreement what happens to the person property

Now you have your personal property mixed in with his personal property

The seller may have thought he was helping you out by telling the kid to remove his junk. It's hard to say.
I would tell the kid, he doesn't know what is yours and what was the seller's. So, unless he wants you to call the cops

Stop WTF you're doing and stay off your property
Old October 22nd, 2021, 03:39 AM

If the kid needs some junk to haul off to eat, send him up to my house property

Old October 22nd, 2021, 03:49 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
I was up on an extension ladder 2-stories high on Monday cleaning some mold off my siding and gutters on the north side of my home. I can honestly admit, I was shaky and scared, and did not like it one bit!
Chris - Don't forget you had an ice dam form last winter with water intrusion. When a ice dam forms, melt water from the warm roof backs up behind the ice dam, flows under the shingles, and into the house. Before it gets too cold, you should evaluate the roof underlayment if you can get to it & visualize that area before another ice dam forms in the same area so you're prepared to take action when/if another ice dam forms.
Old October 22nd, 2021, 04:01 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - I own two (one long, one short) telescoping poles. They make short work out of cleaning exterior siding and exterior of gutters and make the job safe. They make some excellent soft, medium & firm brushes for these. Honestly, they save the day on exterior cleaning. There are several manufacturers who make good ones - make the initial investment and buy a good one which will last and stand up over the years.
https://www.telescoping-pole.com/Mr-...ing-Poles.aspx

Old October 22nd, 2021, 04:09 AM

Norm k have the exact same pole with a suction cup to change can lights in my vaulted ceilings
Old October 22nd, 2021, 04:12 AM
Running On Empty

James - Awesome. That's pretty cool.
Old October 22nd, 2021, 04:32 AM

Norm, I'd say 1/2 of the dryers we would go to for repairs had vents that looked like that vent you had a pic of. Probably 70 % of dryer problems were caused by lint/ vents. They would run hot and eventually trip the one time high limit, or go on & off so many times on the operating limit that it would fail, Another problem was when the dryer was physically too far from the wall where the vent went out (basements). We used to do dryer installs and sometimes people would want us to run or reconnect a 30-40 ft dryer vent. That was against code so we couldn't do it- used to **** people off- "It's worked like that for years!" Usually that would happen at duplexes or condos. What you show is a good public safety announcement- Guys! Pay attention to your dryer- seriously!! Also they still sell plastic dryer vent stores even though it is against code everywhere I know of. That chincy aluminum vent that is full of lint that Norm posted is also bad. Dryers should have regular 4" metal non corrugated tubing with elbows where needed.
--About Dawn dish soap- I am also a believer, Wifey wont use anything else. A few months ago I went to the store and wanted some Dawn soap, they were out of it so I bought some other knock off brand. It was no good. I ended up taking it out in garage and used for washing cars which it also isn't good at!!