The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2015, 07:19 PM
Captain Starfire

Jamesbo & Mike, we see the Varsity when we're driving thru Hotlanta, but have never stopped, as I've heard their facilities for kitty-sitting is a bit lacking ;-) Would love to go one day... mostly just to say I've gone. And before I move onto the next life, I want to go back to Mary Mac's.

There was a place on Airline Highway (U.S. 61) down here near LaPlace (b/w N.O. and Baton Rouge) called Airline Motors that -- believe it or not -- was a restaurant. Its heyday was in the 40s, 50s, & 60s, before I-10 was built, which eliminated probably 75-85% of the traffic on Airline between N.O. and B.R.

Airline Motors had that vintage, postwar look and feel that I think the Varsity exudes. Really cool... Unfortunately, after closing and reopening numerous times in since I-10 opened up in the '70s, Airline Motors seems to have finally folded.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; February 4th, 2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old February 5th, 2015, 04:36 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

John, One of these years we'll make it back down there. hopin we can get away to somewhere this year.

Have a thursday all.
Old February 5th, 2015, 05:17 AM

Mawn'in all

Chili but clear

Varsity food was de 1st piece of solid food my mother game me. When you're drug up in Atlanta and start gumming a french friy,it kinda sticks with cha.

Mr. Gordy was an amazing success story.

Mike, FWIW I was told his brother's Tire company [Gordy Tire] used to recap all of Delta's tires. Used to be downtown near the Varsity on de utter side of de express way.

Years ago, I had de pleasure of representing an Australian real-estate mogul.Long after Mr.Gordy passed. We sat in Mrs' Gordy's living room on Piedmont Rd in Buckhead and this Australian Real estae tycoon offered her 20 mil for all 4 corners of a major intersection in east Cobb. She didn't bat an eye. " No I don't think I want to do that"

VERY nice charming family,Wish I had made de commission but alas

Welp GTG Have a great day Olds friends
Old February 5th, 2015, 06:00 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning Rocketeers

Cold an dark. Spoda snow for the next 3 days.

Yikes! Gas prices here just spiked again last night. Up .10 L. That would be almost .40 per US gallon! Something's not right here. For a Canadian gallon were paying 4.00 again. Betcha this artificial gouging goes on and they hike prices back to where they were before while oil stays low.

Off to see da boys, den hit de Saville for practice. Maybe the kids will be there again. Enjoy your day.
Old February 5th, 2015, 06:54 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Just got back from the Awful house. Must be some sort of record, I was only there an hour. My buddies were just leaving when I got there and it's no fun sitting there with no one to talk to. Besides that it was getting busy and I'd have to pay rent on my place at the counter if I stayed.

Question for the self-employed. If one were to want to start a business and incorporate, would it be better to spend hundreds, if not thousands, on an attorney to get things set up or would it be just as good to use Legalzoom and bypass all the attorney-ese?

I've seen that show on the Varsity on TV several times. Quite the business man. My favorite story is they would fill the Cokes from two spouts at the same time because Mr. Gordy didn't think one spout filled fast enough. Hm, I'm inspired now, maybe I'll run downtown and go to the Varsity. Don't remember how to get there from the expressway. Shouldn't be too hard.

Jamesbo do you know of a shuttle that goes from Alpharetta area to the airport? I feel like I've asked that before.

John I'm with you. In fact, I could find an Awful house downtown for breakfast, then go to Mary Mac's for lunch, and then Varsity for dinner. The Triple Crown of Atlanta food.

Windy and cold today. Guess I'll keep on with the Chev. Sunny but cold and windy. Maybe I'll just stay inside and watch reruns of Bewitched.

Have a good day all.
Old February 5th, 2015, 07:01 AM

Mike,

1] De Varisty is on North ave and I-75/85 Follow de signs to Atlanta
2] The ziipity do dah [Marta] goes down de middle of Ga 400 to de airport
3] Find a cheaper lawyer. It shouldn't cost that much
Old February 5th, 2015, 08:53 AM
CQR

Mike, It cost me about $1100 20 years ago. Jamesbo is right that you can find a cheaper lawyer.Probably get it done for less.
Old February 5th, 2015, 09:38 AM
Always room for one more

Well okay thanks guys. A lawyer might have the answer to a question I have, whereas Legalzoom might not have that question in their "Frequently Asked Questions."

Boy I tell you, that old gas smell follows a guy everywhere. I thought I was being careful today but wherever I go that smell is there. My PB&J seemed a little off today. I got the sender out of the tank, no surprise I need a new one. Also took the filler out of the quarter panel. I know the tank has been out before but I'm certain the filler has been there since the assembly line. Makes me feel kind of funny taking screws out I know haven't been messed with in 58 years.

Sunny but windy as can be out. And about 50. Gonna keep on with the Chev until I need to spend money. Wish I had someone to go to pizza with tonight.

Okay lunch is over.
Old February 5th, 2015, 09:46 AM

Mike, What's de question?

FWIW sub S corporation pass taxes losses directly thru
Old February 5th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Always room for one more

No specific question right now, Jamesbo. What I meant was usually when I'm trying to look something up, it says to check out the FAQ, and my question most times isn't in there because they only have generic self made up questions, and I end up emailing the place anyway. Talking to a real person is always the best way.

So I haven't made it back outside yet, but I was brushing my dogs. I think I will put together a build your own German Shepherd kit with all this dog hair. I love my Shepherds, but don't usually recommend someone get one if they will freak out about the shedding. Because the person would be freaking out all day every day.
Old February 5th, 2015, 11:43 AM

Well Ya can ax me, I MIGHT know de answer
Old February 5th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Bad news and good news.

Bad - The weather has gone to crap. Blizzarding out der and it's friggen cold.

Good - Just got off the phone with NAPA and the alternator has a 'limited lifetime' warranty. Annnd, I still got the original bill for it so they'll replace it for free!!! Bonus. NAPA gets an A+ for that kind of service! Now I just have to get some decent weather so I can pop that sucker out and exchange it. Sux that it has to be ordered in from Toronto though.
Old February 6th, 2015, 04:55 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Allan, Thats good news. I never had much luck with NAPA's Rebuilt electrical. I'm surprised you got that much use out of it. Bummer about the weather. It was surprisingly warm this morning. The garage was about 52F (Where I have the furnace set) then I went outside to almost 60F. May break a record today. they are calling for 70F+.

Mike, I'm an S corp. (Also taxes Corp profits at a personal level) Ant the missus has one S corp and one LLC.

Jamesbo, That lady sounds a bit like my MIL. The Owner of the Westernaires dropped by about 10 years ago and the MIL met him down near the Hay barn and asked him what he needed. She doesnt beat around the bush and come to find out he wanted to buy the place as the new home for the Westernaires. He offered her $5M for the 15 acres, She never even got out of the truck. Just said 'nope' And went about her business. I repeat

Sandy! Whats you're prediction for Sunday night?

Gas is up a bit here too. I paid 1.99 for 85 for the Mazda last night. I wish it were still going down. I get to bring Brit home tomorrow. It'll be good having her back in the garage but to be honest it's nice having a little extra room. The missus brought home some side windows they found for the AA. These are some original thick slightly yellow window glass' Looks like I need to find someone doing an authentic resto.

Have a weekend all.
Old February 6th, 2015, 05:33 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Frost on the pumpkin! Last I looked it was going to be 50s today and stay in the upper 30s/40s tonight, so as soon as it warms up a little I'm going to work on the wall. The lake is coming up and doesn't look like it will be going down again, so whatever I can get done I'll be happy about.

So I was a little off in my assessment of how original the Chev is. I was underneath looking up inside the quarter panel and saw a seam in the metal and non-original hardware aft of the seam. Looked at the other side, nope all good. It looks like someone just hacked off the last 12 inches of quarter panel and grafted on a new one. Looks good from the outside, I guess that's what bondo is for. This was probably done in the 70s. Inside the gas door really does look original, though.

Gonna stop by the lawyer that did my closing back in November. I got a letter from them saying thanks for closing with us, we also do... So I'm going to ask them a couple questions, and also find out what it would cost me for them to get me all set up. Clint, what if you decide to start up something new, in addition to the garage, can you use the same S Corp or do you have to start a new one?

Going downtown this afternoon to see a friend of mine for a couple hours. Of course he says, come on over around 3. So then I get to drive home in traffic. Actually I might head up to Marietta and have pizza. I don't care if I have to go by myself, I have a certificate that expires Sunday that I need to use.

Well I guess I'll get to the Awful house and see where this day is going. Hope everyone has a good Friday.
Old February 6th, 2015, 05:55 AM

Mike, Jes change de minutes of the meeting to reflect whatever you're gonna do.Think Delta stated as crop dusters. Get it? Got it? Good.
Old February 6th, 2015, 06:48 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Cold and clear here for now. Gotta head out and clear snow in a bit. With wind chills it's -38. Oh joy.....

Clint, that's not for rebuilt - the alt was new. That's why it's lifetime warranty. Rebuilt of the same part is only 3 years. Difference in pricing too obviously. Your gas is .53/ L? We're paying .86.9/L but that's for 87 octane. Not very many places here sell e85.

Mike, my Mom used to have two shepherds. A boy and girl like you. I used to take them for walks and also brush them - no kidding they really do shed a lot. The girl (Crystal) developed hip displasia and couldn't walk after a few years so she had to be put down. Conway turned nasty and would bite almost everyone. He went back to Andy who was the original owner. Never did find out how that panned out. Seems as long as my Mom owned dogs (quite a few) I was her go to guy to help look after them and care for them when they were sick. Now she doesn't know or care that I exist. Oh yeah, she doesn't have animals anymore...

BTW what kind of business are you considering starting? Honest Mikes ______

Lessee what's on de news and havva hot kuppa koffee. Enjoy your day.

Jim, I heard dat same spression from my old boss when I Wuz younger. Dint git it, never wanted it, could care less. Bosses like him were dime a duz an dint last long.
Old February 7th, 2015, 02:57 AM
car nut farmer

Morning

Going to be warm and sunny here in SE Kansas. Had the chance to put my Olds on the lift yesterday and finally change out a leaky fuel pump........NOT!! The replacment pump had a fuel return port. The "correct" pump will not come until Tuesday and I'll be out of town until Thursday. Will miss a weekend of great weather to drive the F85, time to rap the pipes on the C-10.
Old February 7th, 2015, 04:15 AM

Mawn'in all

Chili but spose to warm up

Had a WW II vet and his daughter come by yesterday.Get this, He was spose to ship out and got sick an de put him in the hospital. Everyone on his ship got killed when it sank from a Zamakazi attack. He's 90 now

GTG got anutter family coming dis mawn'in

Enjoy de weekend Olds friends
Old February 7th, 2015, 05:31 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Like Jamesbo says, gonna warm up. This cold weather is wearing thin as far as I'm concerned.

Going this afternoon to Birmingham to pick up a body shell of a 4 door Cutlass. This will be parts for my Cutlass that is currently woefully neglected. This was a nice car before it was torn apart, so the floors and quarters, etc, will be excellent for my needs.

Welcome 71Rocket. I envy anyone with a lift and often curse my short garage. At least your C10 gets some attention.

Okay off to Awful house. Gotta stop by Lowes for a couple furniture dollies, then go to the shop and get the trailer. Have a good Saturday everyone.
Old February 7th, 2015, 05:43 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Good morning....

Cold and snowy...again!

Mike, are you getting the shell from Tom.?I know he has had a few descent ones recently.

Allan, I had a tenant that actually left his Shepard after leaving. The dog only liked me and I kept him until he passed. It was the first and only time I had ever encountered somebody abandoning a family pet. Luckily, I never saw the owner again

well, out to the shop to put my freshly painted wing on the w30

Stay safe
Old February 7th, 2015, 05:53 AM
Captain Starfire

No departure from da' Plantation planned for today - Hallelujah! 'Twas right at freezin' at 6 a.m., but like my southern brethren, I'm lookin' for temp's pushin' 70 today. Spose to be some of the best paradin' weather in history. Come on down! (Then tell me how it was.)

Going to try and finish all the framed stuff and wall decorations today in the garage. Been piddlin' with it too long. I bought some matting for this original Buick '72 Skylark poster I've been having for decades and it didn't work out as I had hoped. I couldn't cut the holes and edges as cleanly as I wanted. But once done, I painted the mat (thereby changing the special, custom color I had specified ) and it's acceptable. I'll shoot & post a pic when it's all done.

Hopefully, things will dry out in the yard. It's still water logged and squishy from the torrents we had earlier in the week.

Y'all have a great weekend, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; February 7th, 2015 at 05:56 AM.
Old February 7th, 2015, 08:39 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Brrrrrr. Still cold here. -28 with windchill. Only took about half hour yesterday to clear the snow using the blower. Then chipped some ice from when the melt froze. Don't have to go out so I'm not going to.

Ted, you have a good heart to adopt that shepherd. Peeps who abandon their pets have no business owning them in the first place. The ******** who lived 2 houses down left his cat when he loaded up and moved to Ont. Lucky you have such a big shop to work in.

John, 2 words. Rubber boots.

Mike, good luck with the shell. Hope it has what you need. I'm guessing it's not the full rolling chassis?

Jim, sad to say my friend but you'll never run out of clients. Glad the vet was a fortunate survivor.

Well, plows are Spoda be by today. Don't think I'll hold my breath waiting for that miracle. No sanding trcks to be seen either.

Enjoy your day.
Old February 7th, 2015, 08:44 AM
Always room for one more

Yes the shell is coming from Tom. I wish I would have seen that car before he did, I'd be driving it. At least it will be good parts for my car.

Should be interesting getting that up on my trailer with furniture dollies, a come along, and three people. I wonder how heavy it is. Maybe when I get home I can suspend it from the rafters of my shop. It's going to be awhile before I get to working on the car, but as long as the opportunity presents itself...

Not leaving till later on so I'm going to have my first self-lesson at block laying. It's nice out and warming up.

John I have a few posters I'd like to put up. One is the "Rockets for the Road" poster that I don't think is available anymore. I thought about having it laminated so it never degrades. Also have a movie poster of Christine, and one of the Church Lady. Isn't that special.
Old February 7th, 2015, 08:50 AM
Always room for one more

Oh that's what I wanted to say, Ted God love you for helping that dog. It's a common occurrence around here to leave pets when people move/get thrown out. Heartbreaking to me, and of course the dog. Wish I had hundreds of acres like the Dog Whisperer I'd have them all come live with me.

The reason I have my two is because the original people never paid them any mind and they kept getting out of the yard. After paying a fine several times they said, we just don't want them anymore. This was over 5 years ago. They actually did the dogs a favor. Still a rotten thing to do.

I could go on a rant about dogs all day long, but I won't.

Allan the shell is just that, and no frame. I've got some lumber to set it on so we can drag it up the ramps and hopefully not screw up the floors.
Old February 7th, 2015, 09:32 AM

Allan plowing his driveway

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2015/02/...51423238221/:D
Old February 7th, 2015, 12:25 PM

Zo, de family coming in dis mawn'in calls and says "How 'bout tomorrow" So, I sez fine and jump in de truck and head fer de mountains. As soon as I gets ere, de call again and say, "How 'bout dis afternoon"

So, I says, "SORRY, I left town right after I hung up wit chew."

Esta es las vivas
Old February 7th, 2015, 07:02 PM
Captain Starfire

Jamesbo, it's called "self preservation." Bravo!
Old February 8th, 2015, 05:57 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Had an uneventful trip to B'ham and back yesterday. Chalk up one more forum person that I've met. Tom is a good guy, fun to talk to, definitely has the car bug. Got home a little before midnight, which was fine with me, but my buddy Johnboy had to get up early this morning. He works at the Awful house. I'll see him a little later. Bet he's not quite with it.

The body shell is very nice. I'll be able to use most of it. For now it will stay on the trailer over at the shop, until I can figure out where to put it so it won't be in the way.

Going to a funeral this afternoon. That one guy from the Awful house who was about 100. I looked up his cousin and offered to help with his house and stuff. She said, he puts hoarders to shame. You wouldn't believe this place. I was never inside but the garage was stacked to the roof and he just had a little trail to get to the back door. The yard is the same way. Cars and parts all over. I thought, this will be me in 40 years.

Okay off to the shop to drop off the trailer, then Awful house, then Lowes to get more wall supplies. My block stacking didn't go completely as planned yesterday. It looks okay, but I don't think it's holding anything back. I may have to regroup. Wish I would have found this out two months ago.

Well have a good Sunday everyone.
Old February 8th, 2015, 08:00 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Sunday Sunday , so good to me. Not only am I curling later on but this weekend has been curling heaven with all the provincial play downs going on. Tons of coverage on Sportsnet. Love watching it but after a while my **** gets sore from all the sitting.

The sand trucks showed up at 5:00 yesterday and literally put down a gravel road. Then at oh dark thirty (01:00 am) the plows came by and woke everyone up as they screeched and groaned the asphalt down to bare. So much for coordination by roadways. I think they graduated to Roadway Management???? for Dummies 201. They certainly don't have any respect for sleeping neighborhoods.

Mike, if the wall isn't holding maybe pick up some tar? Hope the old guys funeral is well attended. Thomas is a super guy, he's only been in the recycle business a short time since he got out of the military. Did you see the red 71 he picked up last week?

Clint, love the truck pics. Kinda envious and wish I could take it for a rattle around town. Definitely an eye catcher. Hope your weekend is going well.
Old February 8th, 2015, 01:51 PM
Always room for one more

Just got back from my friend's funeral. Maybe two dozen mourners and about a dozen family. His wife and son had died years ago. The Navy was there and did a flag folding thing and there was a salute. They stayed outside, though. Real nice.

I think I'm gonna have to rethink the whole wall thing. The support walls that I'm trying to rebuild, I've decided, don't do a thing. And that's why they failed and fell apart and the wall is leaning anyway. I may just have to take out that section of wall and rebuild it. I don't have time for that now, it will have to wait until next time the lake is down, which will probably be years from now. Ah we used to have good people taking care of things.

So I was studying the body shell and saw that the car was built in New Jersey. I'm wondering now if I should use any of these parts on my Lansing-built car. I know each factory had a Fisher plant next to it, but did each plant stamp their own panels or were the panels stamped at one place and shipped? I know New Jersey parts will be the same as Michigan parts. It's a mental thing.

Well I'll see if I can salvage any of this wonderful afternoon. Mid 60s and sunny. Can't beat it.
Old February 8th, 2015, 02:55 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by slantflat
I may just have to take out that section of wall and rebuild it. I don't have time for that now...
Easy peasy way to make the time Mike....

Don't start fretting about the parts. They are generic and will fit just fine. You think your car will care what factory stamped the parts? Even high priced NOS parts may be stamped from different factories so I wouldn't lose any sleep over this.
Old February 9th, 2015, 04:32 AM
CQR

Monrin all.

Allan, You are more than welcome to. But you are gonna have to wait til the chicks are up and grown. I had to move it and swap places with Brit in the garage so we have a place to take care of the chicks.

Mike, I'm not sure. I would figure it would be ok. That would be a good question for the Lawyer.

Sandy, Well wutja think?

Well some how I went to sleep in our bed last night but woke up in the dog house. Sometimes I just don't get it.

Have a Monday all.
Old February 9th, 2015, 05:26 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Rain. Wasn't raining at 4 when my boy wanted to go out, but it smelled like rain. Not sure what time it started but my girl started her up on the bed jump down routine and I grabbed her collar so she'd stop. I don't think we've had rain the whole time I've been off. And now on my last day...

Allan if I had dynamite the wall isn't where it would go.

Gonna be inside stuff today, so I'll get to the Awful house, run some errands, and come home and see what I can get into.

Happy Monday everyone.
Old February 9th, 2015, 05:27 AM

Mawn'in all

Driveling so no golf

Mike, Parts is parts. It's a mental thing like me alphabetizing my spire rack.

Clint, Glad I've got company in de dog house. I'm thinking about carpeting and installing a kitchen

BTW. I NEVER get it.

Well Enjoy de week Olds friends
Old February 9th, 2015, 06:09 AM
Just an Olds Guy

WTH??? What's with all the dog house stuff? Make room fellas I might as well join. Seems that it's either the wrong word, phrase or look that earns a one way ticket. I still don't know which one it was. There I was washing lettuce for salad when de missus decides to teach me how she does it. I politely told her there was more than one way, and since she wasn't making it to leave me to my own means. I watched her rinse the lettuce in a big stainless bowl and chunk it into a spinner to dry. Then she turns and asks if I'm having a good day. I said I was until she decided to butt in. Mebbee dats what it eas.

Won last night at curling which was a huge surprise. The ice was really heavy and swingy, and the rocks acted like they had been freshly cut. I thought we were gonna crash and burn when Byron took 4 points in the second end. We came back from that to win 11-5 in the 7th end. Byron is the top seeded rink in the A division, were the 4th seed. I doubt it will make any difference because he shellacked us twice in round robin.

Mike, I believe I know which car she'll you bought off Tom ( olds442redberet). I remember seeing pics of it before he started parting it. If you're looking for a running 4 door check with Scott Winn in Indiana. He has a Radiant green ( color code 36) he's using as a driver for now. Looks not too bad. I'm having a hard time visualizing this wall of yours. Got a pic of it?

Clint, no worries. You do a brood of chicks every year?

Jim, just checked Hotlanta weather. Rain and 65 today? Go visit wit John. He's got sun and 72. Bet he knows a good course dat isn't infested wit gators or mr. No shoulders.

Gotta set up Anutter email account so de SP can send me ebills. Ebills are free, paper bills cost 2.00 each time they send one. Bit of a rip off to charge a customer for the cost of billing. I wonder how many complaints they get from peeps who aren't using puters.

Enjoy your day.
Old February 9th, 2015, 07:57 AM
Captain Starfire

The muggies are here....

'Twas a slight drizzle around 6 a.m., but seems to have subsided. Cloudy and muggy... somewhere in the 60s.

What a great parading weekend we had in The Big E. -- so happy for tourist and native alike. No newsworthy crimes or shootings yet... stay tuned.

Woof woof! As long as my 'casa de pero' is the garage, I guess I'm OK. Sorry for your lot, Jamesbo. Was this a direct result of the matter previously disclosed?

Here's the '72 Buick Skylark dealer poster once I got it up. Too many reflections, but you get the drift.

Y'all have a great week, Oldsmofriends.
Old February 9th, 2015, 10:18 AM
Always room for one more

Okay the rain stopped so I got out and took a couple pictures. Boy we really had a storm there, replete with thunder and lightning.

Here you can see the original wall was just a couple courses, then it was built upon at some point later on. All of the original wall is toast and all of the lower part of the new wall is toast. My best bet would be to rebuild the entire wall. There's a section about 55 feet long that is leaning and that's the main concern I have. I might rebuild this section and then keep filling the rest with concrete.
Old February 9th, 2015, 10:29 AM

Mike, Why not put up some plywood forms on the lower [older] part of the wall and pour straight down through the block holes. Ya could put some rebar in the holes if ya wanted
Old February 9th, 2015, 11:03 AM
Always room for one more

That's what I've been doing when filling the other sections of the wall, but I'm afraid that since the one section is leaning already that it would just keep going. Also since the wall is not straight the forms don't do a good job of retaining the concrete, so it is not smooth when the forms come off, and I don't think it will be very many years before the wave action erodes the new concrete.

I should just take the wall down and leave it, and let the end of the yard return to being even with the water. That's how all the yards were originally.
Old February 9th, 2015, 11:41 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike, wouldn't that wall have some tie-backs into the earth when it was originally built? BTW I'm guessing that's your girl. Our shepherds were dark color on the male and lighter on the female. What's her name?