The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2024, 05:24 AM

Good morning guys,

Wow, certainly feels like a Fall morning, it was only 42° when I checked about 10-minutes ago, not supposed to get over 73° today with sunshine.. I'm sure glad the temps are so cool. Wife, daughter and Gabe are off on their 20-mile "Mammoth March" hike today. Anyway you cut it, 20-miles is a long hike, and much of it is over hilly terrain.

Pup patrol and football on the agenda today. Looking forward to watching the Lions vs. The Rams this evening. Glad the Chiefs got off to a good start with a win over the Ravens on Thursday night. Hope everyone has a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; September 8th, 2024 at 06:34 AM.
Old September 8th, 2024, 06:32 AM
Running On Empty

The weather has been peculiar this summer. Yesterday ushered in some early fall temperatures. Three ominous tropical depressions brewing. September is the worst month for hurricanes along the NC coast. Chris, despite a hefty march, lower temperatures will make it a pleasant day.

Anyone ever buy Goober? I have not. I made myself a PB&J sandwich yesterday. Some of you won't like it I suspect. I consider making a PB&J an art form. PB&J + thick slice of Munster cheese + potato chips sandwiched between two slices of bread. Some of the best Goober Peas I've eaten have been from street vendor carts in Bolivia & Peru. A couple places call them Goober Peas in the South yet most simply refer to them as boiled peanuts.

Anyone recall the early days of the old Indian River Fruit stands along the Eastern coast of Florida? Those were some days I'll tell ya. Very nostalgic to me along w/ the early days of the Rat Pack @ The Fontainbleau in Florida.

Tee time 12:00 noon.
Old September 8th, 2024, 07:33 AM

To Norm's point, commercial doors must open to the outside, due to some horrific fire and trampling years ago. I think it was a Whitesnake concert and people couldn't get the doors cleared to open them. I have a bathroom in my house that the door opens into the hallway as the bathroom is so damn small you can't clear the door's arc otherwise. Room is 4x7.

We had a 9 or so tree grove in my backyard growing up outside Orlando. Hamlins, tangerines, key limes, lemons, tangelos, Mercots, Valencias, grapefruit and one tree that was a grafted Frankenstein and put out Navals, kumquats, and flame grapefruit, but never at the same time. I might have been able to hold my own for a day or so as a migrant picker.
Old September 8th, 2024, 07:54 AM

Chris, glad to hear summer is ending somewhere. We still have around a month of 100s before it happens here.

Old September 8th, 2024, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Chris, glad to hear summer is ending somewhere. We still have around a month of 100s before it happens here.
Kenneth - That's just unreal and scary to think about!
Old September 8th, 2024, 10:23 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Just got back from the Walmart lunacy. Mom spends close to 200 bucks on groceries every week, there's no way the two of us eat that much. Well it's her money.

Norm it's a Catch 22(I think I'm using that right) door in businesses. They can't have the door open inward because it would be hard to get out during a fire. But they can't have it open outward onto a busy sidewalk. How about you step on a pad and the door slides to the side, like in the old grocery stores. In a house it isn't so critical, but I love pocket doors.

One thing about home security. Get a good system. But don't put your address on his collar because when he gets out and someone picks him up, they'll know your security system isn't home.

Kenneth I thought I was in my DeLorean time machine. I saw a picture that looked just like your car when you first bought it. A little beat up, gold with black top, but it had hub caps not rally wheels. I'll see if I can find the picture again.

Mom bought us Goober Grape when we were little. It was gross. Cheap peanut butter and cheap jelly. We choked down one jar and that was that. I think PBJ is my favorite sandwich, though I don't have it very often. Skippy smooth and anything jelly that's purple.

Gonna work out in the yard this afternoon, it's absolutely beautiful out. I'm running close on time off or I'd come down with the blue flu tomorrow.

Have a good day everyone.

Old September 8th, 2024, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
One thing about home security. Get a good system.
Mine appears to be defective. It goes off every morning just after sunrise. And during thunderstorms.
Old September 8th, 2024, 01:27 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Good feedback on Goober - I'll stay clear of it. I like foods w/ a crunch; albeit, I like crunchy peanut butter (I'm the odd-man out I know). Jelly has to be dark - black or purple. I enjoy preserves, as well.

John - Good point(s) on the White Snake Great White concert. One hundred out of 450 patrons burned to death. The fire marshal should have also received a prison sentence - what a flaming disaster.

Struggling to knock four or five strokes/game off my score card yet making improvements on my swing - what a conundrum. Tournament tomorrow ~1.5hrs North.
Old September 8th, 2024, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Tournament tomorrow ~1.5hrs North.
Norm - Good luck tomorrow!
Old September 8th, 2024, 04:12 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Thanks. 👍
Old September 8th, 2024, 04:16 PM

Dawn and Gabe after completing the entire 20-miles. Note that Gabe is already taller than Grandma and he hasn't turned 12 yet!
Old September 8th, 2024, 04:34 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Pardon me, I had to flip the image to read it...

Old September 8th, 2024, 04:37 PM

Chris - Pardon me, I had to flip the image to read it...

Oh, to read the inscription on the medal, I didn't even think of that!
Old September 8th, 2024, 04:40 PM
Running On Empty

Actually both the T-Shirts & the medal.
Old September 8th, 2024, 04:49 PM

Actually both the T-Shirts & the medal.
Dawn's t-shirt is from one of those "Tough Mudder" obstacle course events that she's done several of. I would imagine they got t-shirts for todays event too.
Old September 8th, 2024, 05:04 PM
Running On Empty

The bane of cell phones...

Old September 8th, 2024, 05:12 PM
Running On Empty

Old September 8th, 2024, 05:13 PM
Running On Empty

You can't make this stuff up...

Old September 8th, 2024, 05:15 PM
Running On Empty

This had to hurt....

Old September 8th, 2024, 05:17 PM

Ya can't fix stupid!
Old September 8th, 2024, 05:24 PM
Running On Empty

Old September 8th, 2024, 06:24 PM

My wife has one of those FitBit health watches that records your # of steps taken each day and calories burned. You're considered to have had an active day if you've logged 10,000-steps. Her FitBit recorded 50,543-steps during the hike!
Old September 8th, 2024, 06:45 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
My wife has one of those FitBit health watches that records your # of steps taken each day and calories burned. You're considered to have had an active day if you've logged 10,000-steps. Her FitBit recorded 50,543-steps during the hike!
I don't find that surprising. You stated earlier it was a 20 mile Marathon March. 10,000 FitBit steps is ~5.00 miles. Sounds about right.
Old September 8th, 2024, 07:30 PM

That dude probably broke his *** on the ice.
Old September 8th, 2024, 07:45 PM

That video has sound, they speak German, but, oddly, "oh my ***" is understandable in any language.
Old September 9th, 2024, 04:00 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Well I did something right for a change. I left the house early, dropped off the dog early, but when I got to the expressway I said eh, I'm not early enough. So I took my alternate route up 675 to 285 to the airport. Going straight up 75 is way quicker, and shorter. But when I got out on 675 the traffic report came on and said 75 by the airport was backed up because 3 lanes were closed due to construction. Hm. A guy that comes from south of me said he sat in traffic over 30 minutes.

I like that video of the girl walking into the glass partition three times. She wasn't on the phone, just stupid.

Lots to do this week. We'll see if I do any of it. You know what, I need a pressure washer. Any reason I shouldn't get an electric one? I really don't want a gas one I hear they are very labor intensive to keep going and the pump will go bad at the drop of a hat. I suppose an electric one would be the same.

Wheels are slow this morning. Everyone is here, and I have a good wall guy, but the slow wall guy is next to him so they will talk all day. Hm. I hope he's gooder than that.

Have a great day everyone.

Old September 9th, 2024, 04:34 AM
Always room for one more

Okay Kenneth here's what I saw. It's got a Chevy 454 in it. But this reminded me of you.

Old September 9th, 2024, 07:01 AM

Mike did you see the Big dog at Waffle House passed away at 58?
Old September 9th, 2024, 07:55 AM

Mike I have a cheap Lowes store brand pressure washer that is electric. It has not failed yet. The electric ones are smaller, lighter, cheaper, and a lot less powerful, so it depends on your needs.
Old September 9th, 2024, 08:46 AM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo I did see that. After a long illness it said. That's too bad. Is he the guy that took over after Joe and Tom died?

John I just want to clean off my deck and my driveway and maybe clean a greasy engine compartment. I don't need to strip paint. Even though it's a small engine and probably wouldn't get used very often it's still another mouth to feed and I need to cut back a little actually.

Speaking of that, I think the Fiat is going to be a short timer. My insurance bill is due and it's over 700 bucks for this six months. I have a feeling it is State Farm being shitty over me cancelling four of my other cars when they charged me over 600 for the Fiat when I bought it. Amazingly I looked at Progressive and their offering was over 900. It might have been because I said yes that broad hit me in traffic, even though it wasn't my fault, I'm sure that will be held against me. Well screw them all, I'm gonna sell the car and then they get nothing. Geez what I pay for everything else you'd think I'd get a break. Nope. The car served its purpose, and besides, Tiger doesn't like it.

We're doing pretty well so far. Nineteen wheels before lunch, lots of wheels in queue, and the lead wanders up every so often so people are working.

Old September 9th, 2024, 01:08 PM

I have no pity for idiots that walk into fountains, doors, or anything else for that matter while on thier phone. PAY ATTENTION! Chris your 12 year old grandson walked 20 miles! Dang. Mike, the insurance on my Santa Fe is $116/month. It just dropped from $129/month. I dumped State Farm three years ago, they were charging me $188/month! I haven't had a ticket in over 30 years, and was bundled with them up until I went elsewhere. Currently with Citizens.
Old September 9th, 2024, 01:18 PM

Okay Kenneth here's what I saw. It's got a Chevy 454 in it. But this reminded me of you.
Mike, that looks better than mine did when I found it.

Old September 9th, 2024, 03:44 PM
Running On Empty

Appears the probably hurricane is tracking towards Lafayette, Slidell, New Orleans area. Kenneth?
Old September 9th, 2024, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris your 12 year old grandson walked 20 miles! Dang.
Yep, he sure did, I'm pretty damn proud of him. He's a tough kid, takes after his Grandpa, or in this case his Grandma and his Mom!
Old September 9th, 2024, 04:30 PM

Appears the probably hurricane is tracking towards Lafayette, Slidell, New Orleans area. Kenneth?
I haven't heard anything from the family yet, but I'm sure they are making preparations.

Speaking of hurricanes and damage, the high rise tower that was wrecked by Laura and Delta in 2020 was imploded this past Saturday. My sister sent me a video of it from across the lake, and the local news station has several views of it.

https://www.kplctv.com/video/2024/09/07/aerial-view-shows-capital-one-tower-falling/

https://www.kplctv.com/video/2024/09...ge-cloud-dust/
Old September 9th, 2024, 04:50 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - I haven't looked at the links you provided but I watched the high rise explosive detonation this past weekend. I'll check out your links.
Old September 10th, 2024, 05:28 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Decent start to the morning. The lead tried to put the fear of God in us by saying the powers that be are looking around at alternate wheel assembly sourcing. I think he's making it up. We were doing fine before the accident, and it was the higher ups who cut off our production, and won't let us work overtime. So now we're magically supposed to start putting out an extreme number after a week+ of nothing? Go find that lake and jump in it, dude.

Chris that boy of yours is going to grow up to be quite a man. He must have a good dad as well. Did they have all day to walk the 20 miles? He had a good partner. I'm not sure I could do that. The most steps I've ever taken in a day is 14000.

Kenneth that was a cool video. Why were there people who wanted to fix it? It didn't look terribly old, what sentiment could they have had for it? Between those two cars I'd pick yours all day long. I like a Chevy big block, but not in a Cutlass. Sorry (other) Eric.

My sister and her crew are coming in two weeks. Mom is in overload trying to get the house to look as nice as possible. Probably sparked by the painting in the living room. So I need to get some lumber and repair the back porch. And trim the trees/bushes/scrub in front of the house and maybe in the back. I'd actually like to move one of the cars to my house, because it needs to move but also as a subtle reminder that my sister needs to get her car out of my garage. I know she doesn't have anywhere for it but the car that's moving needs to go in the garage. I told her she could leave it at my house for as long as she wants, but there was no guarantee it would stay in the garage. So if she sees it outside under a cover it might motivate her to do something with it. Honestly, it's a northern car and has plenty of salt-caused corrosion all over it, leaving it sit outside isn't going to do anything to it.

Breaktime. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old September 10th, 2024, 07:45 AM

Good morning everyone.

Chris that boy of yours is going to grow up to be quite a man. He must have a good dad as well. Did they have all day to walk the 20 miles? He had a good partner. I'm not sure I could do that. The most steps I've ever taken in a day is 14000.
Mike - You're right, Gabe is a good kid and should grow up to be a fine young man. Luckily he has plenty of good role models around him to guide him. Gabe had a chaotic home life as an infant and toddler, and I'm thankful he really doesn't remember those times. Gabe's Bio Dad was not ever really in the picture, and my daughter Blaire was raising him on her own, while going to college full time, with lots of help of from her Mom (my Ex), my wife Dawn, and myself. During that time my Ex and I both worked days, so my wife Dawn watched Gabe all day which formed a special bond between Dawn and Gabe. I will never be able to thank my wife enough or repay her for how she helped my daughter and Gabe during that time, but I try. And yes, Gabe has a great Dad now, his step Dad Justin is a great guy, and really the only real Dad Gabe has ever known.

Yes, they had pretty much all day to hike the 20-miles. It took them approximately 8.5-hrs.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; September 10th, 2024 at 07:50 AM.
Old September 10th, 2024, 09:39 AM
Running On Empty

Delta Airlines would like to forget the past 30 days...

Delta flight clips another plane on taxiway at Atlanta airport, knocks off smaller plane's tail

Old September 10th, 2024, 09:46 AM

Delta Airlines would like to forget the past 30 days...
Yes, I bet they would!