The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2024, 12:51 PM

We broke another record, and summer ain't over yet. More 110+ temperatures are on the way.

Old September 3rd, 2024, 01:19 PM

Chris, nice car pics. I went to two shows, one on Saturday, about 100 cars, and one yesterday, the annual Cars for Cancer. At 11am they stopped registering cars, at that point they had 1000 cars. More came in after that, but no one was counting. A record turnout for that event. I took exactly two pics for both shows. Both were of the same car, my friends Continental Mk II. Mike good to see that you had a good trip. Looks llike I won't be hitting a car show in Silver Lake, Mi. this weekend. they are having their Apple Fest, but rain is forecast. Maybe three more shows for the year. I realized that I had not made pulled pork this summer, so I picked up a Boston Butt. I'll have to work that into my weeks menu. N.Y. strip steak tonight. Bought a blueberry loaf and peach cobbler from some gals that are allways at that last show mentioned above. It should hold me awhile, but I need vanilla ice cream now!
Old September 3rd, 2024, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, nice car pics. I went to two shows, one on Saturday, about 100 cars, and one yesterday, the annual Cars for Cancer. At 11am they stopped registering cars, at that point they had 1000 cars. More came in after that, but no one was counting. A record turnout for that event.
Thanks Dan, glad you enjoyed the pics. Wow, a +1,000 car show, I've never been to a show anywhere close to that large! The largest one I've ever been to is that monthly cruise-in at the huge church that regularly draws 400 in nice weather. I'm headed to an all Makes/Models Show about 45-miles north of me on Saturday being put on by the local Ford Club. Just hoping it isn't too slanted towards Fords, ya just never know. Supposed to be sunny and low 70's here Saturday with essentially no chance of rain, should be a great day for a show. It will be my 24th event so far this season. Still on a pace to break last season's record of 34 if I don't get too many rain outs. I hope you're able to get out with your car at least 3 or 4 more times before the weather turn ugly.
Old September 3rd, 2024, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
We broke another record, and summer ain't over yet. More 110+ temperatures are on the way.
That's not the kind of record you wish for! Yikes!
Old September 3rd, 2024, 02:02 PM

That's a huge show. The Route 66 show in Springfield IL is probably about 1700 or so, and the biggest I've been to is the Turkey Run in the Daytona infield. Anything more than 2000 cars you can't see them all unless you never stop.

I found out, via some help from a friend, that, with old and current credit cards, and the Menards website, you can pull purchases as far back as needed. The stain I need is Golden Pecan 245 Minwax to match my existing. This saves me a lot of effort.
Old September 3rd, 2024, 04:28 PM

This is from the Woodward Dream Cruise FAQ page, I assume it's true.
"The Woodward Dream Cruise is the world’s largest one-day celebration of classic car culture that attracts over 1 million visitors, and more than 40,000 muscle cars, street rods, custom, collector and special interest vehicles."

While not a Show per say, that's one hell of a gathering of classic cars! Here's a pic of my car on Woodward Ave. out front off Vinsetta Garage, which was the Detroit Mecca for hot rodders in the 50's thru 70's. It's a Hotrod themed restaurant now.

Old September 3rd, 2024, 05:18 PM

Good evening guys,

I haven't posted any of my wife's furniture lately because she hasn't finished much since she's been working on the interior refresh of her Brother's Motorhome. Her Brother did pay her handsomely for her efforts, it appears they were pleased because she pocketed $1,800 after expenses. I know one thing though, she wouldn't do it again, even with that kind of payday.

Here's a couple pieces she's finished in the past couple weeks:

Antique Curio Cabinet, circa 1900. Glass shelves were not back in at time of pic. Portions of the white wash stain are purposely distressed.

Vintage Ladies Dressing Table and Tall Boy Dresser, circa 1940.

2nd pic of the Dressing Table to show how beautiful the grain of the wood is.
Old September 3rd, 2024, 05:31 PM

That's some nice refinishing that your wife did. Many years ago, when I subscribed to AutoWeek, they had a pretty good article on the Vinsetta Garage. Run by the same family for years. If I recall right, the last owner decided to go to college and get a degree, Doctor, dentist, I can't remember which he became. Someone affliliated w/AutoWeek went in as a partner to purchase the garage and convert it to a restaurant. One of these days i need to check it out.
Old September 3rd, 2024, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
That's some nice refinishing that your wife did. Many years ago, when I subscribed to AutoWeek, they had a pretty good article on the Vinsetta Garage. Run by the same family for years. If I recall right, the last owner decided to go to college and get a degree, Doctor, dentist, I can't remember which he became. Someone affliliated w/AutoWeek went in as a partner to purchase the garage and convert it to a restaurant. One of these days i need to check it out.
Thanks Dan, I'll let her know for sure. Wish I had before pics, they were ugly, she really did her magic on those particular pieces. She has learned alot and has gotten very skilled since she started in 2019.

I have read a couple of good articles on Vinsetta Garage and how every hot rodder in Detroit wanted them to work on their car to make them the next fastest street machine prowling Woodward back in the day. Also, read some articles about the restaurant with some good pics of all the memorabilia from back in the day. It looks pretty cool inside, not to mention a cool place to get a photo-op with your classic if you have it there!
Old September 3rd, 2024, 07:02 PM

That's wonderful those aren't painted.
Old September 3rd, 2024, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
That's wonderful those aren't painted.
I agree. Her and I both saw the potential for leaving most of each piece natural because the wood has so much character. I think the portions that she did paint are the perfect proportion to set-off the natural wood.
Old September 3rd, 2024, 07:21 PM

Went to Menards and bought a gallon of the stain I need and a good saw blade. I think the bolt was loose on mine, turns out. So, tight bolt and a 60 tooth finish blade cuts well. I made the last two boards and shut the saw and drills down; I'll still need to do a function check to make sure the all thread goes through the holes but it should be just sanding from here. Only had an hour and a half or so to work before dark; tomorrow I should have more time. I think I will put a drop cloth not only on the floor, but over the sawhorses as well. Last time they got really saucy with the stain and I had to pressure wash them to get it off before continuing.

Transformer arrived for the microwave project. A few more parts are inbound. Truck is running well, just have to get used to different clutch pattern.

My manager wants to do dinner next week when he's here. I might get a steak out of it. I think I might mention it to these lawyers in our meeting on Friday.
Old September 3rd, 2024, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
I agree. Her and I both saw the potential for leaving most of each piece natural because the wood has so much character. I think the portions that she did paint are the perfect proportion to set-off the natural wood.
yeah it looks like it was made that way.
Old September 3rd, 2024, 07:41 PM

yeah it looks like it was made that way.
Yes, I agree. Those pieces were produced near the end of the Art Deco Period and they definitely reflect that style. With the onset of WWII, the decadence and flair associated with Art Deco died and was replaced with the much more simplistic and austere style of the Modern Period.

Can't wait to see your finished shelves, they're gonna look really sharp!
Old September 4th, 2024, 04:42 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Well back at work. Everything seems to be the same. I got my slow wall guy back, but a good robot guy. An hour and a half in and I've got two wheels done.

So I did something for the first time ever. Dropped my phone and cracked the screen. It is several little cracks, but none of them affect the operation. They really can't be seen unless I look for them. I suppose eventually moisture will get in and scramble the screen, at which time I'll have to get a new phone. This one is about 4 years old. I've had Verizon for decades it seems but I'm not so enamored with them these days, I should start my research now into a different company.

Don't know what I'll do after work today. It's supposed to be nice the rest of the week, so I should start my end of season mowing. I do have to go talk to my friend at the credit union, that will probably take up most of the afternoon. She gets cranked up talking and doesn't stop.

The End of Summer celebration is today. Didn't even know it. They will have vendors set up and food. Sounds like a good time.

Okay better crack the whip. Have a good day everyone.

Old September 4th, 2024, 05:07 AM

Mike, It depends In Georgia city and church cemeteries are not regulated by the state. So they can what they want when they want. My parents are buried in the city cemetery in LaGrange [along with ,any aunts uncle cousins grand parents] I just paid extra to have the markers leveled and cleaned . Around 40 years ago my grandfathers vault top cracked [ not our fault] but we still had to pay to have a new one installed
Old September 4th, 2024, 06:05 AM

Love that make up desk! Reminds me of someone's bedroom furniture I saw maybe way back as a kid. At a aunts or granny's place??? Another great job from Dawn! Do you have pics of the interior of that motorhome?
Old September 4th, 2024, 06:46 AM

Mike, Don't go to Walmart this week come to my font porch. I tried to tell the lady 15 times she was at the wrong house [She didn't know road from Hwy. ]She was very goal oriented [deliver and leave] I'm NOT going to call Walmart They hire idiots they get what they deserve
Old September 4th, 2024, 09:10 AM
Always room for one more

So Jamesbo what did you get for free? Groceries? Shoes? Cardboard stick together furniture?

I got this bright idea when I was in Moline this weekend. I'm going to build the house that Mom grew up in. We drove past it and it looked terrible. But she always goes on about what a great place it was, how much fun it was to live there and do things, her horse named Mike. Actually she had more than one horse named Mike. I believe that was the happiest time of Mom's life and I've been kicking around the idea of building a house at my shop, so why not build that house. I think she'd love it. But I'm having trouble getting the plans. The building department and zoning and planning departments don't have any information. The house was built in 1935. Moline as a city goes back to 1848 and before that there were plenty of people and activity. I don't see how they can't have plans for everything in town. If they want to purge the records, purge what isn't there anymore. Right now I'm waiting to hear from the Historical Society. If they have anything I'll have to view it in person. Great.

I heard the shindig was only going to be food today, and it turned out to be crappy mexican food. So I went to Skinny's. But they were closed, so I went to Jimmy John's. Hadn't been in awhile it was good. So Skinny's loses out for the week.

Greg I heard that Dr. Pol is retiring. Maybe your sister will have to take her dog someplace else.

Fourteen wheels. Good way to catch up.

Old September 4th, 2024, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Love that make up desk! Reminds me of someone's bedroom furniture I saw maybe way back as a kid. At a aunts or granny's place??? Another great job from Dawn! Do you have pics of the interior of that motorhome?
Thanks Greg, I'll definitely let her know. No, I don't have any pics of the Motorhome refresh. I'm not going to ask her to take any either. It's kind of a sore spot because it's been such a PIA, and I think she just wants to put the whole project in her rear view mirror. She's still not done, done because apparently the SIL sent her home with some folding doors they weren't completely happy with. They really needed to be spray painted vs. brush, but she couldn't do that inside the Motorhome, and it was too hot to do it outside in the sun where it was parked. They're in our basement now and she'll paint them in her mini paint booth. The project from Hell!
Old September 4th, 2024, 03:56 PM

Mike the story of the house for your mother and her horses named Mike are so cool. Good son you are heres a good one from Miranda...

Thanks for sharing
Old September 5th, 2024, 01:52 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Thanks Keith. I'm not a Miranda fan per se but that's a nice song. I grew up in Park Forest IL and when we lived in our house about 5 or 6 years the people who built the place in 64 knocked on the door one day and wanted to see the place. Mom was so excited to show them around. They were there a couple hours, pointing out what was the same and what was changed. We didn't buy the house from them, there were people that lived there less than a year who we bought it from. It seems to me they came back a few years later as well. We lived there 26 years. I wouldn't go back and knock on the door. Heck I won't even drive past. Funny, the first thing I do when I move into a house is look around for things I can change. But that's my house and no one else belongs there, and anything I saw that was different I'd be mad.

So the talking heads decided we shouldn't work overtime this week because we just need to be safe. Apparently the lead made an executive decision and we worked overtime anyway. A guy from the brake side says, we were told not to work overtime but the wheel side is doing it anyway, what's the policy? Basically throwing the lead under the bus. So they had to have some big meeting and the outcome is we can come in at 5 instead of 4. Hm that sounds safe to me. I'll sure be glad when the muckity mucks stop coming around.

Mowed at Mom's yesterday. Think I'll mow at my house this afternoon. I might work on the Mercedes. Anyone want a 107 convertible? It's a typical old Mercedes. Runs like a champ, nothing works.

Guess I'll get ready for another 20 wheels today. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old September 5th, 2024, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Good morning everyone.

Anyone want a 107 convertible? It's a typical old Mercedes. Runs like a champ, nothing works.
Now that's funny, got a good laugh! LoL 😂 😆 🤣
Have a great day Mike.
Old September 5th, 2024, 01:15 PM

Dove season opened Monday, but no way am I going out with these temperatures.

Old September 5th, 2024, 01:31 PM

Dove season opened Monday, but no way am I going out with these temperatures.

I used to Dove/Duck/Goose hunt alot on former In-Laws farms in the Missouri bootheel. It's a natural fly way, and the harvested rice fields are a big draw. I had never hunted Doves before moving to Missouri and it took me some time to figure out how much to lead those fast little bastards.
Old September 5th, 2024, 01:38 PM

I consider myself a decent deer hunter and a fair turkey hunter, but I am not a good dove hunter. I have, at least, been dove hunting a few times, and I did not bring home many.
Old September 5th, 2024, 03:46 PM
Always room for one more

Up home we'd hunt with our cars. Usually inadvertently.

Got my chain saw fixed today. Bought a new chain for it weeks ago, finally got around to putting it on. Cuts real nice. The entire county will be pasture in no time.

Still haven't heard from the Historical Society. That's pretty rude not answering me. I did email the library and they said they couldn't help me. I could go knock on the door and go in and take a bunch of pictures. How much do you think it would cost me to have an architect draw up blueprints from a bunch of photographs?

Old September 5th, 2024, 03:49 PM

I consider myself a decent deer hunter and a fair turkey hunter, but I am not a good dove hunter. I have, at least, been dove hunting a few times, and I did not bring home many.
I was a much better Pheasant and Grouse hunter than waterfowl hunter thanks to my brother and his wonderful German Short-haired Pointers. He bred, raised, sold, and trained German Shorthairs at his Olympus Kennels. He had 2 National Field Trial Champions, Thor and Venus. He named his personal dogs with Greek mythological names in theme with the name of his kennel. His dogs made it easy for anyone hunting under them. Hunting under really, really good bird dogs is a joy unto itself just to watch them work, they are truly amazing and would work till they collaped if you let them.

Dad, my Brother Tim, and Thor after a successful hunt.

Tim, with Venus on his lap, and my Dad with Thor on his lap. I cannot remember the name of the dog on the far left, but I believe it was one of Thor's and Venus' pups.

My brother got the idea with his then wife, to solicit "put and take" hunting preserves throughout the Midwest to bring his dogs and shoot promotional videos for them. He got to hunt in the best Pheasant hunting areas of the U.S., and got paid good money to hunt for free. I really, really, miss my brother, these are the days when we both would have had the time to be hunting, fishing, etc. together, and I know we would have if life wasn't such a cruel bitch sometimes!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; September 5th, 2024 at 03:59 PM.
Old September 5th, 2024, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
How much do you think it would cost me to have an architect draw up blueprints from a bunch of photographs?
Mike - Forget about the cost, it would be impossible and fruitless without exterior and interior dimensions, you'd just be guessing. Not meaning to be Debbie Downer, just trying to highlight the reality.
Old September 5th, 2024, 05:24 PM

it took me some time to figure out how much to lead those fast little bastards.
My buddies and I reload our own. I like very small shot, such as #8, 8.5, or 9 and we load to 1500+ fps velocities. You don't have to lead by much when you're throwing out a cloud of shot at those speeds. I recall hearing a buddy shooting his 1700 fps loads from a distance and it sounded like the sky was tearing apart. One time he and I ran out of shells while across the fields from the truck so we borrowed some store bought loads (1100 fps maybe?) from the third guy. We went from dropping every bird to missing every bird and realized why the third guy hadn't bagged anything yet.
Old September 5th, 2024, 05:52 PM

My buddies and I reload our own. I like very small shot, such as #8, 8.5, or 9 and we load to 1500+ fps velocities. You don't have to lead by much when you're throwing out a cloud of shot at those speeds.
I can see how the extra velocity would be a great help. I've never owned a reloader. My ex FIL actually advised me to buy Federal Premium 3" magnum #8's that had a muzzle velocity of 1,350 fps I believe, but having an extra 150 to 200 fps would be even better.
Old September 5th, 2024, 06:39 PM

My old 870 is a 2 3/4” chamber version, which is more than sufficient for any birds with the velocities I can reload those to. My 2 3/4” reloads even work well on geese with the appropriate size steel shot.
Old September 5th, 2024, 06:40 PM

I do have an old Wingmaster of my granddad's. Wonderful shotgun from a time when great designs were made for 50 years running. I have a shotgun press, but, like many of my hobbies, I haven't been able to get to doing it yet.

One thing I HAVE been doing is this garage stall needs to be done with woodworking very soon, so Good Enough Furniture Finishing is back in action. First coat of stain on first side tonight.

Where is Norm?

Last edited by Koda; September 5th, 2024 at 06:43 PM.
Old September 6th, 2024, 01:31 AM

Mike - Forget about the cost, it would be impossible and fruitless without exterior and interior dimensions, you'd just be guessing. Not meaning to be Debbie Downer, just trying to highlight the reality.
I respectfully disagree. Get some kid [ design student to take a camera and a dimension finder[like appraisers use] and go knock on the front door. He could have all the interior dimensions in 30 minutes
Old September 6th, 2024, 04:55 AM

Dan, I am going to the Street Rod nationals north in Kazoo. I think on Sept 20th. I like the swap meet. You goin?? Also isn't the muscle car drags going to be at Mid Michigan soon?
Old September 6th, 2024, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I respectfully disagree. Get some kid [ design student to take a camera and a dimension finder[like appraisers use] and go knock on the front door. He could have all the interior dimensions in 30 minutes
No disrespect taken Jim, and I agree with you 100%, but Mike had already said he would not go to the door? Now Mike didn't say specifically whether he'd send someone else to the door or not????
Old September 6th, 2024, 06:16 AM
Running On Empty

Where is Norm?
Quietly reading thinking of the various weapons/ammo I own.
When I used to hunt Mourning Dove each year I hunted w/ a .410 & found 7.5 or 8 worked best regardless of fps. Mainly, I adjusted cartridge size based upon distance. Most of my Mourning Dove hunting was around watering holes in sunflower fields w/ distances no greater than 35 yards. I'd generally shoot into five or six Dove as they flew into the watering hole. Brought them down straight-away with extremely little loss of flesh & few cripples

Last edited by Vintage Chief; September 6th, 2024 at 10:56 PM. Reason: little loss
Old September 6th, 2024, 06:28 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Slow morning, and it's gonna be a slow day. We didn't do overtime this morning because there wasn't anything ready for us. We were supposed to have a meeting with the head muckity at 630, but at almost 7 someone said we'd have our meeting another time. I guess he had something more important to do. The tire retriever was broke. And of course people would rather stand around. Around 10 most of the shop will be going over to the airport to send off one of the guys killed in the accident last week. His flight leaves at 1 so they won't be back in time to get anything meaningful done.

Chris and Jamesbo I was really just being a wiseguy when I said I would take pictures and have an architect draw me some plans. I don't know any design students. If I were to go knock on the door, I would preface that with a letter through the mail describing my intentions and asking permission to visit. All this could be moot, because the address outside this particular house is 3333, and both Mom and her sister said their address was 3501. I was certain, from remembering pictures I've seen, that this was the house and assumed the address had been changed for some reason, but I put in 3501 on google maps and it comes up as down the road, and currently covered by a trailer park. So it's possible the family's house is no more and the one I saw last weekend was one just like it. So far I can't get ahold of any plans so what does it matter. I'm still trying.

So it's supposed to rain this afternoon. We haven't had rain in weeks but I'm still mad. I wanted to do some yardwork at Mom's after work, maybe the rain will miss us.

Hope everyone has a good Friday and a good weekend.

Old September 6th, 2024, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I'd generally shoot into five or six Dove as they flew into the watering hole. Brought them down straight-away with extreme loss of flesh & few cripples
Norm - Glad to hear from ya! 👍
That's damn good shooting for no bigger pattern than a .410 throws!
Old September 6th, 2024, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Dan, I am going to the Street Rod nationals north in Kazoo. I think on Sept 20th. I like the swap meet. You goin?? Also isn't the muscle car drags going to be at Mid Michigan soon?
Greg - I see that track is now called US 131 Motorsports Park. Glad to hear there is still an operational track there. Back in my childhood days it was US 131 Martin Dragway. Lots of great memories going there with my Dad and Brother back in the day!