The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2024, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Hi guys, don't have much to say but I haven't contributed in a long time.
Greg - I'm very sorry to hear about your buddy, that really sucks. Great to hear from you and glad you are enjoying the beautiful summer weather up there. It would be great to see some pics of the old travel trailer when you're done, I'm sure it will look cool! 😀
Old July 10th, 2024, 06:09 AM

The Antique oak table in the pic below has been in my family since I was about 4-years old, 60-years ago. My Mom bought and refinished it when us boys were very little. Mom gave it to me before my girls were born and they were raised eating their meals at it. All our grandkids have sat and ate meals or snacks at it. It is going bye-bye today to a new home. We no longer have a need for it and it is just taking up too much space. I practically begged both of my daughters to take it, but they showed no interest, despite the family heirloom angle. This morning I'm having major separation issues while it waits outside for it's new owner to pick it up.

Old July 10th, 2024, 06:41 AM

Hi guys, don't have much to say but I haven't contributed in a long time. Weather been really good around here, lots of nice sunny days with a few thunderstorms thrown in. Took Olds to a VFW car show last Saturday- pretty small and dull, Good Vittles tho... Getting interior of trailer mostly done- looks so much better. Going to paint door frame and then move on to outside. I have been volunteering with the Clare County Veteran Services- take Vets to their appts at VA hospitals, etc- very fun actually. Also still doing the Red Cross stuff which is gratifying .
A good friend just had a growth found in his pancreas. Almost for sure it's cancer... oh Man... He never had any really good paying jobs and was working until he could retire at 65 last year. Now he is 66 and enjoying life and this happens. geez.....
That sucks. I won't wish pancreatic cancer on my worst enemy. Hopefully it's the exterior one which is easier to fix.
Old July 10th, 2024, 12:54 PM

Greg, sorry to hear about your friend. I know that is one of the cancers that you do not want to get, not that any of them are good. I hope that he has good results with treatment.
Old July 10th, 2024, 01:04 PM

I've been hibernating for a while now.

Oh look, good news! There's an "Arizona Cold Front" on the horizon and it's gonna cool down to 108º.

Old July 10th, 2024, 02:04 PM

Chris, I love family furniture. Unfortunately all of mine will end up at Goodwill
Old July 10th, 2024, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, I love family furniture. Unfortunately all of mine will end up at Goodwill
Ya, I love family furniture too. Fortunately I still have several pieces of Mom's still on display in our house. Just had alot of wonderful memories sitting around that table with Dad, Mom, and both my siblings. That's a shame no one in your family likes antiques, I'm sure you have some beautiful pieces.
Old July 10th, 2024, 03:54 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Greg that's too bad about your friend. Prayers that he responds to treatment and can get over it.

Chris that doesn't look like such a big table. Maybe you could put it in the garage and use it as a stage for all your car stuff. We had several pieces from the family that ended up gone over the years when someone would move. The only piece I insisted on keeping was the china cabinet my "aunt" Marg gave Mom. We were in the process of moving when Marg died, and unbeknownst to Mom she left her this china cabinet. It's a fairly large two piece cabinet. My Dad had to call the moving company and have them amend the shipping bill. It still looks as beautiful as it did in 1971. I have no idea when Marg actually got it. I love stuff like that.

Did well at work today. Finished before 1, got out a few minutes early. Been a beautiful day and not so hot. Hot comes back tomorrow, under 100 but not much. Cue the Arizona weather map...

Okay have a good evening everyone.

Old July 10th, 2024, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Chris that doesn't look like such a big table. Maybe you could put it in the garage and use it as a stage for all your car stuff.
Mike - That would be a good idea if I had any space in the garage at all, but I really don't. Between 2 cars, 2 large motorcycles, a riding mower, a self-propelled walk behind mower, an assortment of standalone shelves, and my workbench with tool chests the garage is packed to the gills. I'm glad you got something to remember your Aunt, that's nice! Like I told Jim, I've got plenty of other pieces Mom gave me to remember her. I just hope one of my girls wants them when I'm gone.
Old July 10th, 2024, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
The Antique oak table in the pic below has been in my family since I was about 4-years old, 60-years ago. My Mom bought and refinished it when us boys were very little. Mom gave it to me before my girls were born and they were raised eating their meals at it. All our grandkids have sat and ate meals or snacks at it. It is going bye-bye today to a new home. We no longer have a need for it and it is just taking up too much space. I practically begged both of my daughters to take it, but they showed no interest, despite the family heirloom angle. This morning I'm having major separation issues while it waits outside for it's new owner to pick it up.
Old July 10th, 2024, 06:38 PM

Chris- You did not ask for an opinion although I will share mine
Hang on to it.
Maybe you will find a spot where it is not in "your way" taking up space.

Think about it just my2cents

Beautiful family memory...priceless In my opinion
Old July 10th, 2024, 06:56 PM

Hi guys, don't have much to say but I haven't contributed in a long time. Weather been really good around here, lots of nice sunny days with a few thunderstorms thrown in. Took Olds to a VFW car show last Saturday- pretty small and dull, Good Vittles tho... Getting interior of trailer mostly done- looks so much better. Going to paint door frame and then move on to outside. I have been volunteering with the Clare County Veteran Services- take Vets to their appts at VA hospitals, etc- very fun actually. Also still doing the Red Cross stuff which is gratifying .
A good friend just had a growth found in his pancreas. Almost for sure it's cancer... oh Man... He never had any really good paying jobs and was working until he could retire at 65 last year. Now he is 66 and enjoying life and this happens. geez.....
Greg I always appreciate your posts. Vittles LOL reminds me of Jethro Bodine, Uncle Jed, Granny, and my favorite ElyMae, mmmm Vittles

Good on you for making time for the Vets I bet some pretty neat stories and some if not most world issues are discussed some resolved...

As stuff always seems to happen dont wait to start living life when one retires, start yesterday. Time waits for none. hope your good friend has some peace with his health challenges, tough to see, dang.

Good to hear you had a run in the wild with the drop top too

Keith

Old July 10th, 2024, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Absolutely excellent documentary series just released on Netflix (2024). Nine Episodes. An exceptionally well documented series and very, very timely.

"TURNING POINT: The Bomb and The Cold War"
Thanks for the post Norm
God Speed

Wishing someone Godspeed is wishing them safety and success on their long journey or difficult endeavor. “God bless” isn't the same because that's what you say when someone sneezes. “They bade us Godspeed on our journey.”
Old July 10th, 2024, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by otto72
Chris- You did not ask for an opinion although I will share mine
Hang on to it.
Maybe you will find a spot where it is not in "your way" taking up space.

Think about it just my2cents

Beautiful family memory...priceless In my opinion
Keith - I value the opinions of all the regulars on this thread, and certainly yours. I sincerely appreciate the kind encouragement to hold onto the table. Although I knew my wife would like to find a new home for the table, I was the one who made the decision to do so, there was no pressure in that regard. I just got a little nostalgic this morning when it was actually going to leave. I'm glad it's going to a home where it will be used and enjoyed. It's all good, and your kind words are really appreciated.
Old July 10th, 2024, 08:06 PM

Good on you to have passed it forward to a good home. I get the nostalgic part of things close to the heart. You're a good man to share
Old July 11th, 2024, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by otto72
Good on you to have passed it forward to a good home. I get the nostalgic part of things close to the heart. You're a good man to share
Thanks!
Old July 11th, 2024, 06:55 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Man I'm just not feeling it today. Slept good, came in at the regular time, just dragging ***. I know what it is. I started drinking Coke Zero, and even though it's caffeinated, it doesn't have sugar so I'm missing out on half the high. By the way Coke Zero is gross.

Chris send your vintage furniture down here. I'll cherish it. And you can visit it.

I think I'm gonna take my truck to this place I used to go to for the alignment. I stopped going because the place was just too expensive. Seven hundred bucks for a carb rebuild and a fuel pump on a SBC. I found that excessive. However there are precious few places to get an alignment done around here, and they will take me home and pick me up when it's done. If I can stay out of the poor house on this job I may ask them to do the harmonic balancer on the diesel Suburban. It's a different guy running it now so maybe he's a little more reasonable on pricing.

This afternoon I'm gonna put the wheels back on the first blue Suburban. It's on stands now(all 4 it looks funny) and two of them belong to my neighbor. He knew I'd have them a few days but I don't want to prolong it and get the reputation of keeping people's things when they lend them to me.

Okay gonna go take a walk. Not much going on. My wall guy is training a newbie and things are slow. That's okay, don't want him to learn any bad habits by hurrying. Have a good day everyone.

Old July 11th, 2024, 09:21 AM

Hi guys - First time I've seen a roof going on in this subdivision with a pitch so steep that the workers are wearing safety ropes. The pitch is so steep that the bundles cannot be staged on the slope near where they are going on. There are guys at the top of the gable "feeding" the nailer by letting the shingles slide down the slope to the nailer one at a time as they are needed. What a tough frickin job, I'm glad there are men up to the task. Not this boy!

Old July 11th, 2024, 09:28 AM

I am a proponent of large single story homes with moderate slope. In fact, I may build a deck on my next house with stairs to the roof.
Old July 11th, 2024, 09:38 AM
Running On Empty

Makes me wonder what they're doing. Drip edge goes on before shingles.
Old July 11th, 2024, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
I am a proponent of large single story homes with moderate slope. In fact, I may build a deck on my next house with stairs to the roof.
LoL 🤣

Makes me wonder what they're doing. Drip edge goes on before shingles.
When you don't know alot about roofing like me, ya just assume they know what the hell they're doing, but we all know what can happen when you assume! The only thing I know for sure is it sounds like a Cinco de Mayo celebration when I step out onto my deck!
Old July 11th, 2024, 09:57 AM

Norm - Is that white line along the bottom edge of the roof where there aren't any shingles yet, and then the same white line going up the right side to the top of the gable the drip edge?
Same white line going up the left side also.
Old July 11th, 2024, 10:13 AM
Running On Empty

Those white lines are roof drip edge molding (called flashing). Drip edge molding/flashing is applied 1st especially on the eves (bottom), shingles are laid on top of drip edge so water does not infiltrate the roofing material(s) e.g. wood underlayment, etc. Drip edge molding/flashing is applied also running up/down the rake(s) of the roof (i.e. the sides). Must be margaritas in their water bucket.

No issues w/ starter course(s) running up & to the right. Makes no sense to start in that location if you haven't fastened any drip edge/flashing in that corner when you could easily and should have begun on the right hand side where molding/flashing has already been installed. The pitch rake appears to be 12:12 (45°). Steep, but roofers should be able to accommodate that pitch w/o ropes. However, safety is certainly paramount (esp. if alcohol is involved).
Old July 11th, 2024, 10:25 AM
Running On Empty

Actually, reviewing that roof it appears closer to a 10:12 (39.81°) pitch rake.
Old July 11th, 2024, 10:44 AM

No issues w/ starter course(s) running up & to the right. Makes no sense to start in that location if you haven't fastened any drip edge/flashing in that corner when you could easily and should have begun on the right hand side where molding/flashing has already been installed.
I know you can't see it now, but that white line, the drip edge/flashing was there before they started nailing the shingles in the lower left corner and started working their way up.
Old July 11th, 2024, 10:49 AM
Running On Empty

OK then. Couldn’t see it earlier but I’ll look again after departing the man-cave.
Old July 11th, 2024, 11:22 AM

When my buddy had his house built around 25 years ago, he did the roofing himself, there were contractors putting the roof on a new house next door, and the roofing contractor gave over and said "you're doing too good of a job!" I went to the doc today as I have been getting quite a bit of pain in the back of my thigh right below the ole' glutimus max. It appears that it is due to a bulging disc at L4, but not the ones at L3, and L5, nor the disc degeneration at L1 and L2. Ahh yes, the perks of aging. He is ok with me trying my chiropractor first, if that and twice daily naproxen doesn't do it, then it's physical therapy. Of course the chiropractor is closed on Thursdays .
Old July 11th, 2024, 11:59 AM
Running On Empty

I'm not going to worry about what is going on that roof for one minute longer - maybe they ran a Weatherguard strip up the left hand roof rake. I'm over it.
Old July 11th, 2024, 12:50 PM

Dang, another airline tire issue.

https://ktar.com/story/5580005/blown...da-to-phoenix/

Landing-gear tire blows out on Tampa runway, delaying flight to Phoenix

Old July 11th, 2024, 01:35 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
Not really related. The United Airline flights had the "wheel" fall off in flight. A blown tire is minimal issue. There should be some heads rolling at United.
Old July 11th, 2024, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
I went to the doc today as I have been getting quite a bit of pain in the back of my thigh right below the ole' glutimus max. It appears that it is due to a bulging disc at L4, but not the ones at L3, and L5, nor the disc degeneration at L1 and L2. Ahh yes, the perks of aging. He is ok with me trying my chiropractor first, if that and twice daily naproxen doesn't do it, then it's physical therapy. Of course the chiropractor is closed on Thursdays .
Dan - I can really empathize with you, Ive been dealing with degenerative joint disease in my back and neck for +30-years. I'm blaming it on all the sports I've played and heavy weightlifting I've done. My best advice is some my regular doctor gave me years ago. After you get past this latest episode, start in on a heavy regimen of frontal core strengthening exercises. The stronger you make those muscles in the front, the more stress it takes off the back and significantly helps to keep your spine in alignment. Just my 2-cents, but it's helped me immensely.
Old July 11th, 2024, 02:09 PM
Running On Empty

Extreme outer bands of this broad low pressure system ~200 miles offshore from Florida are beginning to arrive & are being met by a nearly stationary front along the NC coast. Supposedly/Hopefully they're calling for daily precipitation from now until Monday. Water table is very low here.
Old July 11th, 2024, 02:12 PM

Chris, I appreciate the advice. 30 years ago, I had a back machine, plus I was doing 300 sit ups daily. It never helped.
Old July 11th, 2024, 02:14 PM
Running On Empty

Dan- Thinking of doing 300 sit ups daily makes my back hurt.
Old July 11th, 2024, 02:20 PM

Dan- Thinking of doing 300 sit ups daily makes my back hurt
You should see the distended muscle that I have built up around my waistline
Old July 11th, 2024, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, I appreciate the advice. 30 years ago, I had a back machine, plus I was doing 300 sit ups daily. It never helped.
Dan - Sorry what you tried back then didn't help you. I guess the next thing I'd say is if you end up having to go to PT, if they're able to get you feeling better, keep doing whatever they have you doing to get you well. I hope you get some relief soon and you'll be in our prayers!
Old July 11th, 2024, 03:40 PM
Always room for one more

Norm I have to disagree with you. The tires blowing out really isn't anything that United has anything to do with. The tires come from a vendor, if they have latent defects the company wouldn't know about it. Now, if their tire shop inflated them to an incorrect pressure that's another story. I just saw a story that American lost several tires on the same plane taking off. Hot weather is no friend to airplane tires. The tires get hot, the pavement is scorching, they are high pressure, and they simply wear more when it's that hot. Yes the feds will investigate United but they will certainly look into the supplier.

Chris are you saying if you work on your six pack it will help with back pain? If you've been doing it for 30 years you must have abs of steel.

Went to put the tires back on the blue Suburban. It was on 4 jackstands without any tires. When I got over there it was sitting on the ground, and the stands were on their sides. Using a floor jack and 4x4s I got the back end up and the tires back on. The front wheels will have to wait for another time.

Dan good luck with that Supreme. I bet it's a beauty in Ming Jade.
Old July 11th, 2024, 03:56 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Norm I have to disagree with you. The tires blowing out really isn't anything that United has anything to do with. The tires come from a vendor, if they have latent defects the company wouldn't know about it. Now, if their tire shop inflated them to an incorrect pressure that's another story. I just saw a story that American lost several tires on the same plane taking off. Hot weather is no friend to airplane tires. The tires get hot, the pavement is scorching, they are high pressure, and they simply wear more when it's that hot. Yes the feds will investigate United but they will certainly look into the supplier.
Mike - No idea what you're talking about. I said nothing about tires blowing out on any United aircraft. I stated the "wheel" fell off United aircraft. Where does tires blowing out on United aircraft fit into this?
Old July 11th, 2024, 04:19 PM

Where does tires blowing out on United aircraft fit into this?
Originally Posted by Fun71

https://ktar.com/story/5580005/blown...da-to-phoenix/

Landing-gear tire blows out on Tampa runway, delaying flight to Phoenix

Old July 11th, 2024, 04:21 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - It's unclear to me what you are attempting to state with the above quotes? Please explain.