The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

My turn for a rant

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2011, 11:26 PM

Angry My turn for a rant

Well I live in a condo and outside parking around here is at a premium, but EVERYONE has a garage. Most are 2 car, but there are a few one car in the mix. Some people have a driveway, but most don't.

That being said we have to have stickers on all of out vehicles that we intend to park in the few residence spots outside or we will get a ticket (makes sense) and all visitors must have a parking pass or face the same consequences.

Now I have been here for 3 years since I moved out here from Chicago and my mother was nice enough to put me up. I'm not overly pleased that I'm still here, but the job market is junk right now so I have to make due.

So we have 3 vehicles and 2 spots inside so 1 of them has to be outside at all times, there just just no way around it.

Now more people than not it seems use their garages as a storage facility rather than the intended use of housing vehicles so this causes a MAJOR parking problem around here.

Lately I have been getting grief from the guards in the from of 72hr parking violations on my car which has "perturbed" me ever so slightly and I mad that fact known to them. I move my car into the garage EVERY night and park my truck outside just so I don't incur these violations, but it seems that I have a pack of neighbors that are upset that I have been monopolizing one particular parking spot. TOO DAMN BAD! I am moving the vehicles according to the HOA rules and not leaving any vehicle in the spot for 24 hours, let alone 72. But they keep bitching and the guards told me that I should move it to a different spot....what so the other side of my car can get destroyed with door dings and all chipped up because people don't care about anything unless it belongs to them, and sometimes not even then? I don't think so. I'm not breaking the rules in any way. And to top it off the guards told me the pack of neighbors are trying to get a letter written to the HOA to have my functioning, driving, stopping, licenced, insured, TOTALLY LEGAL CAR towed because they are trying to say I don't move it. If they try and town my car I'm going to sue the HOA. This is just ridiculous and I'm at my wits end. I have done everything by the rules and it's still not enough for these clowns.

[/end rant]
Old August 27th, 2011, 11:53 PM

Randy understand your pain. I had almost the same problem. Sometimes if you have a friend in the neiborhood it can help make your life there easier. If you don't try to befriend somebody there. It might make a difference. Sometimes people are afraid of new people???? IMHO I would say try not to explode toward any of there nosybodies, they don't have a life. As long as you'r following the rules they really can hurt you. I'm not saying this will be easy, stay cool,polite & stand up for your own rights there, even if you need to call the cops to record them harassing you. Good Lucy & stay strong....Fred-
Old August 28th, 2011, 05:55 AM

Randy,

I feel your pain. IMHO HOAs are more about Power/Ego than they are about protecting/ managing property. I refuse to live anywhere they are in place.
Old August 28th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Man I can't believe the crap you guys go through down there with HOA etc.

That would make me go absolutely INSANE.
Old August 28th, 2011, 07:00 AM

I hate HOA's! unfortunately where I live we have to have one to take care of the runway. A large percentage of the people in my development have classic cars and such. We also have a few "condo commando" types that try to cause trouble all the time. Everyone knows who they are, and fortunately they get nowhere, are not invited to private parties, etc... It makes them madder at the other 85% of us but we really don't care about them. (one moved here from Southern California and we all wish he would move back!) Completely understand the rant hope you can sort it out. Talking to others and making freinds among the populace goes a long way in the situation. Invite some of the geesers over for coffee and cookies and a chat. They are lonely, bitter, and nothing is happening in their life so they rejoice in making yours miserable!
Old August 28th, 2011, 08:24 AM
71 cutlass convertible

IMO, HOA's are run by fustrated failed high school class presidents.

Larry
Old August 28th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Summer School Valedictorians

Originally Posted by lshlsh2

Larry
Old August 28th, 2011, 09:59 AM

This is what I suggest YOU do.
The majority of HOA's I've seen are run by Older people with nothing going on in their lives,
and they pick on the STUPIDEST crap just to enthrall their power trips. Do you have any
attorney friends ?? ANY OF THEM can do this for you.

Look up the Rules and Regulations
Look up the Declarations and By Laws

Find the EXACT rules dictating policy on parking requirements.
COPY AND PRINT and have a lawyer send them a letter threatening them to sue for harassment
and not following the HOA Laws. IF you have ANY notices about your vehicle, include them
with photographs of your vehicle in the garage, and the OTHER vehicle in it's place.

They will shut the hell up real quick. Lawsuits are not a pleasant experience for anyone.
Just make sure you don't break any OTHER rules with Satellite dishes or what not (example)

Originally Posted by lshlsh2

Larry
LOL.....Actually I'm a college graduate and ex military intelligence.
But I understand TOTALLY where you're coming from.

My point of view, because I just took over my HOA as president 2 years ago....
The woman in charge was 66 years old and eyeballed me one day like a stern grandmother
and that was it......it was on like Donkey Kong, and I removed her from office.

I absolutely HATE HOA's......so I became president to have more control over the BS policies.
I let people LIVE.....and I don't harass them. In fact I just got everyone $300,000 in new siding for free.

Last edited by Aceshigh; August 28th, 2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old August 28th, 2011, 10:07 AM

Interesting story I'll share tho......

My last townhome I lived in before this one had an HOA that did NOT allow parking of commercial
vehicles in your driveway. My landlord got a letter about it, and he informed me. So I was kinda
pissed, and parked it in the guest parking spots. He got another letter......so now they pissed me off.

I was livid because I have a single cab pickup with company logo's on it. BIG F"N DEAL!!!! So what
did I do ??? I parked it on the street. They TRIED to say I couldn't do that either, but I told them
to go F themselves because the village owned the streets, not the HOA. I won........

Not quite.....
The HOA board had someone that lived by me because I parked 12 feet from a fire hydrant and I
needed to be 15 feet. I got 2 tickets. That was it. I was so mad I ended up leaving the community.
That townhouse didn't rent out for quite a few years after I left and bought my house I live in now.

Funny thing was.....when I moved here, I did it because I thought you could park your company
vehicle in YOUR OWN driveway. My friend who owned it said it wasn't an issue, but I never bothered
to ACTUALLY read the HOA Rules and Recs and Dec's and By Laws myself. So after 5 years this is
when the Old 66 year old President told me no I couldn't.

Five years later..... She also fined me for parking my motorcycle in my driveway. I ignored it
and the fines went up to $250 and then she sent it to an attorney which incurred another $500.
So $750 I was going to do something really stupid but I ended up paying it and ending it.

Last edited by Aceshigh; August 28th, 2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old August 28th, 2011, 10:25 AM

The thing is the HOA also deals with a property management company that provides the security guards. So I have to call the management company to get this taken care of. I'll be nice so long as they listen to reason.
Old August 28th, 2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by svnt442
The thing is the HOA also deals with a property management company
Just about every HOA I've seen has a property management company.

The HOA board is just a few residents doing this part time. In my HOA we don't even get paid or free monthly dues.
The Management company deals with collecting the dues, sending residents letters, retaining the services of a
property attorney, handling the landscape, snow removal, and insurance contract payments, helping layout the budgets, etc.

So you send the letter for a lawsuit for harassment to the HOA's management company and then they will pass
it on to the HOA board of directors. 99% chance they are going to STFU and leave you alone after you threaten to sue them.
ESPECIALLY if they can't PROVE you were violating the policies.

My suggestion is to take a video camera out just 2 times and video tape you moving the car to the garage, and then
back out in the morning. There's nothing illegal, they are just not seeing that.......

Last edited by Aceshigh; August 28th, 2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old August 28th, 2011, 10:32 AM

Before I bought my house I lived in a condo. There were a few rules that I and a few others thought were nuts. Since the condo association wouldn't listen to us, we joined the association board. Once in we changed the rule. We also found that they were OK with the management co. spending fees on really stupid things....new roofs for everyone when only a few needed repairs. People would complain, he's getting a new roof why not me. So they got one too even though they didn't need it. For 40 units there was about $6000 left for any repairs.

Our new association turfed the management co. bought a riding lawn mower that converted into a snow remover. A few guys were pretty handy and liked fixing things for neighbours and we paid for the material and gave the guys $10/hr for their time. Instead of hiring companies to cut grass and remove snow we did it ourselves. When a fence needed replacing, that condo got the fence, no one else. Three years later when I sold my place the association had $123,000 in the kitty for repairs and that helped in the fast sale of my place.

So, I suggest you join the association if possible ( I don't know how condos run in the US). If it's like here, you can voice your opinion and more likey than not, people on the board will listen and perhaps change the rules to make more sense.
Old August 28th, 2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by 442much
So, I suggest you join the association if possible ( I don't know how condos run in the US). If it's like here, you can voice your opinion and more likey than not, people on the board will listen and perhaps change the rules to make more sense.
Absolutely.
Old August 28th, 2011, 04:19 PM

Well you are in the bay area, "land of communism". Welcome to the America that says your only using your stuff till it bothers someone then someone very unlike you will come and take it away and give it to someone else in the name of fairness.
Old August 28th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Cutlass Lover

That sucks!! I hear the guys I work with talk about these HOA's. Two of them live where they have them. I know you have to live where you can sometimes, but I wouldn't live in a place where they tell me what I can and can't plant in my yard, or where I can or can't park. Guess I'm fortunate that I've never had to live in a place that has these kind of rules. I know they're becoming more popular around here. All these new developments they're building or have built, is an owned by an association of some kind.