The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Matt' off road recovery part one

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2021, 10:37 AM

Matt' off road recovery part one

This is the beginning backstory of the adventure which makes the second video make more com pleat. These guys are doing this as a challenge, but in reality it's their everyday jobs.... Tedd..
Old October 26th, 2021, 10:52 AM

I've been watching that.
Old October 26th, 2021, 01:43 PM
Running On Empty

I watched a couple of their videos some time ago - the novelty quickly wore off for me.
Old October 26th, 2021, 02:07 PM

Looks like a regular 4WD run around here, except we have a lot more rocks and not as many trees.
Old October 26th, 2021, 02:33 PM

That's a cool video. I like watching how off-roaders approach some of these obstacles.

After I foolishly sold my '66 4-4-2 convertible in college, I bought an '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, fake woodgrain and all. I loved that Jeep. It had almost bald highway tires on it when I bought it, and about a month after buying it, I got it stuck in a mud hole at Lake Murray in Oklahoma. The mud was up to the door line and over both bumpers. We had to call a tow truck from Ardmore.

About an hour later, two tow trucks showed up, but neither of them could get to where I was stuck. The owner of the tow truck business, "Hollywood Bob," asked me if it was in 4WD. I told him it was. Hollywood Bob hopped in, started the Jeep, and floored it. He went back and forth between forward and reverse throwing mud about 100 feet in the air until he finally drove it out of the hole.

He got out and said, "It's impossible to get these things stuck. Just put your hand on the roof and your foot to the floor." After that day, I put some off road capable tires on it and never got it stuck again. I high-centered it a few times, but as soon as it got one wheel back on the ground, it pulled itself out every time.

I foolishly sold it a couple of years later to pay for a summer school program in Europe, but I bought another one years later that was my daily driver until I moved to Texas where it would have had to pass emissions. Rather than try to get it to pass emissions, we had to get rid of it.
Old October 26th, 2021, 02:57 PM

High centered. Yeah, I've done that. Just installed a front locker and was overconfident, took a bad line across some rocks, slid downhill and ended up dangling both front wheels off the ground.

Old October 26th, 2021, 03:07 PM

Yes, high centering on the Wagoneer was a problem due to the long wheelbase. But everything underneath it was pretty bullet proof.