The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Lionel trains

Old August 19th, 2013, 06:58 PM

Lionel trains

Anyone collect model trains? My grandfather passed away early this year and left us with an enormous amount of Lionel trains. I had collected some when I was in my pre teen years but got so involved in off road and later teen years Oldsmobiles and off road that I never got back to the trains. Why is it that after he passed away that I am returning to my intrest of model trains? I wish I could have done this while he was still here. Anyway... I think i am going to build a track for them this winter. We have to sell most of them off because we simply don't have room or need this many trains but looking forward to running some of them. I can not believe how advanced these things have gotten since I quit running them in the 80s. The you tube videos are crazy.

Still have another load to get after this one. He would not spend a dime on anything except trains.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image_zps874055f1.jpg (75.3 KB, 66 views)
100_3243.jpg (64.8 KB, 64 views)
100_3176.jpg (97.2 KB, 66 views)
100_3170.jpg (92.8 KB, 66 views)
Old August 19th, 2013, 07:04 PM

Absolutely cool! They are the best. Is that a "Big Boy" in the last pic? I believe that they ran from the late 1940's into the 50's before being replaced by diesel electric locomotives. http://www.steamlocomotive.com/bigboy/ I was off a bit of their running dates.

Last edited by 1969w3155; August 19th, 2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old August 19th, 2013, 07:12 PM

It is a Union Pacific Big Boy and also a New York Central Smithsonian Dreyfuss Hudson. He has many big locomotives but these two along with the Gold 100th anniversary Hudson are the pride and joy of his collection. My uncle is keeping the Gold Hudson.
Old August 19th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Oldsdruid

I know I don't have the space for a layout, so I didn't get into trains. That auction I go to most Saturday nights often has some Lionel pieces and if they've advertised it much at all, it quickly gets unaffordable.

They had a bunch of Ford promos back last spring, and I did get stupid with those. I need to finish cleaning those up too. A little cleaner-wax and they turned out real nice.
Old August 19th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Interesting you have a Bob Boy. They started moving the Big Boy from Fair Park in Dallas where it has been for decades to Frisco where the new home for the museum is. They have made several attempts and it finally left Far Park on Sunday. That thing is huge. I have attached a link. That is quite a collection your grandfather had and I am sure worth a lot of money.

http://idmn.dallasnews.com/local-and...r-new-home.ece
Old August 19th, 2013, 07:25 PM

I have many friends that are SERIOUSLY into that kind of thing. You are sitting on a small fortune there my friend. Are you really shure you want to sell?
Old August 19th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Registered

Cool.

I still have some of my Lionel train stuff from when I was kid. I staged train wrecks like Gomez did in The Addams Family TV show with them so they aren't in real good condition.
I'm more a slot car guy, late 60's 1/32nd scale Strombecker to be specific. I have a big collection of those cars, track and sets all in very good condition. I also have a collection of the newer Carrera cars and track that you can buy now.
Old August 19th, 2013, 07:55 PM

Yes those trains can be worth some good $$. Makesure before you sell anythign you research it and find a someone to appraise them. When my unlce passed they estimated his collection was around 100K. He had all kinds of scales and I use to help him when I was younger on the layout.
Old August 19th, 2013, 08:00 PM

pick up a copy of Greenberg,s Lionel Trains pocket price guide ,It will give you an idea what your trains are worth . Pre War, Post War & Modern Era BILL
Old August 19th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Wow, that's quite a collection. There was a guy when I was growing up in NJ that his whole basement was set up with trains, it was unbelievable.

I still have my Lionel trains from when I was a kid.
Old August 19th, 2013, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Anyone collect model trains? My grandfather passed away early this year and left us with an enormous amount of Lionel trains. I had collected some when I was in my pre teen years but got so involved in off road and later teen years Oldsmobiles and off road that I never got back to the trains. Why is it that after he passed away that I am returning to my intrest of model trains? I wish I could have done this while he was still here. Anyway... I think i am going to build a track for them this winter. We have to sell most of them off because we simply don't have room or need this many trains but looking forward to running some of them. I can not believe how advanced these things have gotten since I quit running them in the 80s. The you tube videos are crazy.

Still have another load to get after this one. He would not spend a dime on anything except trains.
That collection is worth a LOT of money!!

I collect American Flyer trains and accessories (which are now made by Lionel). Have over 500 pieces of Engines, Locomotives, Boxcars, Tank Cars, etc., etc.,and hundreds of feet of track, switches and every accessory that AF ever made. Virtually every piece is in brand new or mint condition.
Have Fun!!
Old August 19th, 2013, 10:44 PM

I have a 1970's Mickey Mouse train. My family used to sell at the train meets once a month in Wheeling Illinois at the DuPage county fairgrounds.
If you have that much to dump you may want to consider something like that as you will get more traction than trying to sell on ebay, I would think.

Big Boy....drool!
Old August 20th, 2013, 02:27 AM

MY uncle and Mom told all the family members to pick out what they want and the rest will get sold. They said we could keep them all if wanted but nobody wants or has room for this many. My grandfather would get me a new Christmas car every year for Christmas. He did this for several years in the 80s. When he stopped getting them for me he continued to buy them for him. I am keeping all his christmas cars and engines to go with the ones he got me many years ago. I have everything from 1986 to 2000 with several from 1998. I would sure like to keep them all but that would not be fair to the rest of the family and there is no way I could buy them.
Old August 20th, 2013, 05:35 AM

I didn't know him, but I see his collecting habit runs in the family.
Old August 20th, 2013, 06:06 AM

nice collection, I have some old American Flyer stuff myself. Don't really collect it but if I run across it, I know enough to either grab it for the right price or pass on by. I had a big HO set up I built myself when I was a kid. But not enough room in the house no a days for anything but children. I just take a few pieces out for the Holidays.
Old August 20th, 2013, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
I didn't know him, but I see his collecting habit runs in the family.
LOL, My grandfather was Lionel trains. My other grandfather is antique tractors. My grandmother is pigs. My dad is guns. I am Oldsmobile's
Old August 20th, 2013, 09:14 AM

I wouldn't sell a single item if it were me. That is one big collection and very cool.
Old August 20th, 2013, 10:29 PM

I got dibs on that BB if you decide to sell it.