The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Kidney Stones

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2014, 08:52 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

For whatever it's worth, an excellent non-narcotic medicine for kidney stone pain is Toradol (ketorolac).
It's in the NSAID family, with Motrin, Naprosyn, Aleve, indomethacin, etc., but it's MUCH stronger, and can be given IV, as well as as a shot in the butt or orally.
The IV dose works best, but often if you start with an IV hit, you can take pills every 6 hours to keep up the effect.
It doesn't make you tired or addicted, and really kills most kidney stone pain, as well as pain after surgery.

There's always a catch: In this case, you can only use the medicine for five days, or it can fry your kidneys.
No big deal in most cases, because most kidney stones pass in a day or two.

If you ask for a shot of Toradol, most hospitals will start to like you, since it's not a controlled substance.

- Eric

ps: Cholo, your friend on 240mg of oxycodone a day was done wrong by his doctor.
No matter how bad shingles pain is, getting someone hooked on that amount is the wrong thing to do, as you can see from your friend's painful fight back to the world.
My best wishes on his full recovery.
Old April 19th, 2014, 03:45 AM
Hookers under Hood

Eric is absolutely rite on Toradol. I forgot about that, They put that in my IV drip last time I was in the hospital. Worked as good as the morphine I had in the past since I can't take percocet plus to afraid to since I have been off them.
Cholo.. Ohhh your buddy on 240mg per day that's some scary... I was on 30- 35mg per day thats 6-7 A5-325 pills. I had a brutal 3-4 days that's being weaned off them for 2 months prior, going down slowly.
I couldn't imagine 240mg I would have been a dead man walking with that amount.
I wish your friend all the best as well.
Old April 19th, 2014, 05:17 AM
Self-prescribed Newbie

Passed two large stones yesterday. I'm not sure if anyone is interested in me sharing a pic of one of them. Haha. The actual passing wasn't bad. I've had some more quick, sharp pains since then, so I'm wondering if there are more in there working their way out or if my UT is just trying to heal. My X-ray didn't show anything, though.
Old April 24th, 2014, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
ps: Cholo, your friend on 240mg of oxycodone a day was done wrong by his doctor.
No matter how bad shingles pain is, getting someone hooked on that amount is the wrong thing to do, as you can see from your friend's painful fight back to the world.
My best wishes on his full recovery.
Not defending the doctors actions here, but the pain my friend had was no longer being caused by the shingles as far as I know, it had completely turned into this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postherpetic_neuralgia

The other medication did little to nothing for him, and like I said the opiates just made him able to get up an function as opposed to wanting to kill himself from the pain. It is a damn shame really that they couldn't find anything else to help him, and yes, I agree that before prescribing my friend such a large dose of anything he should have made sure it would be possible for him to continue it with another doctor or made it possible for him to get some sort of letter of reference.

He is doing much better now as far as I know both with the pain and the dope. I think he is still on the methadone but working on getting off it, the main thing he is battling now is the after effects. He feels pretty miserable and shitty all the time due to the imbalances from being on opiates for years as well as I imagine some post acute withdrawal syndrome.

Endorphins, your body's happy chemicals, are actual natural opiates. When you build up an opiate tolerance the amount your brain produces is no longer enough to keep you happy, things you used to love doing become boring and unrewarding unless you are also high, and why did you start abusing drugs? Probably because you were miserable and bored all the time, this is part of why opiates are so hard to get off of and stay off of.

He's working on saving some money to order some ibogaine and I'm looking forward to helping him get his life back, two bad the other two people I know who are still into it paid me plenty of lip service before hand, but now that I've proven it works and am bugging them about getting some they won't even return my messages, I don't understand why someone wouldn't want to at least try something that could save their life, I'm about ready to give up on them and just cut them out of my life, don't have time for those sort of people anymore.

Originally Posted by 76olds
Eric is absolutely rite on Toradol. I forgot about that, They put that in my IV drip last time I was in the hospital. Worked as good as the morphine I had in the past since I can't take percocet plus to afraid to since I have been off them.
Cholo.. Ohhh your buddy on 240mg per day that's some scary... I was on 30- 35mg per day thats 6-7 A5-325 pills. I had a brutal 3-4 days that's being weaned off them for 2 months prior, going down slowly.
I couldn't imagine 240mg I would have been a dead man walking with that amount.
I wish your friend all the best as well.
Yeah, and that was just so he could get up and be a normal person, and he was also supplementing it with heroin use. I'm glad hes doing better now, being strung out on opiates is basically the closest a human being can become to being a zombie.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Last edited by CyberCholo; April 24th, 2014 at 02:14 PM.