The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

I know I've said some of this before... but

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2019, 06:20 PM

I know I've said some of this before... but

I just got back from the once town of Paradise and I'm still in shock. I know many of you have gone through many destructive acts of nature and have witnessed many tragedies in your areas but I'm still having trouble getting my head around the complete destruction I just went through.

I traveled for about 12 miles from Magalia( upper Paradise) to the lower part Paradise and most of it is gone, I mean burnt to the ground gone.Still hundreds of burnt out car carcasses everywhere and chard logs stacked around that have to be removed before clean up can proceed .Only the stout cinder block or cement buildings still stand like burnt out pill boxes of WW2.

Let me give you some perspective of the deviation if you don't know Paradise. It's was a mountain town ( small city) of about 60,000 people maybe more that had everything a rural place should have. Many elder people chose to retire there as their last home.For many it was their last home and resting place. It only has two escape roads routs above the Paradise dam and the fire got between the dam and the upper part of Magalia, about 18,000 people live there some had no escape by the time they got the word to evacuate.some tried to save their places and wouldn't leave from the fire storm that eventually got them all.

I spent a couple hours in the area when I realized I was hungry and started looking for a place to eat. After some searching I found a Red Lyon Pizza place open and ordered lunch . I mentioned that not many of my old haunts had survived, the waitress replied that this place a taco truck and A Tie restaurant was all that was left all others were gone. Kinda sad for a place that once had everything..... How lucky I a'm there was a north wind or I would have been a refugee also.. Tedd
Old February 21st, 2019, 07:01 PM

I know I've said some of this before.

I haven't been through a fire,but I went through 2 tornadoes in my life. It was amazing how it can skip one house and rip the one next door down to the foundation. Then 2 houses down it just tears a few shingles off. In the 2 I went through, no one was hurt seriously,but lots of propert damage and trees.Bassinguy
Old February 21st, 2019, 07:41 PM
Olds Fever

DEFINITELY a very sad situation... Hopefully the people won't give up and some rebuilding will begin at some point in time to revive Paradise...
Old February 21st, 2019, 08:47 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

One of the members in our NTOC wife died very unexpectedly last October (I mentioned it at that time). His sister came for the funeral. While she was here her home in Paradise burned to the ground. For the time she is still living with him since she has not place to go. That is a lot of tragedy.