The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Got my credit card counterfeited

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2019, 07:59 AM

Got my credit card counterfeited

Seems my credit card was stolen, not really stolen sense it never left my wallet but somehow the card was duplicated and sales started showing up in Texas. My bank called me up and was checking how I could be buying gas in California as well as Texas at the same time and was I on a trip?. No trip. Looks like the thief got into my account for about $1.000 so far, Bank has put a stop on that card and hopefully I will be reimbursed but what a pain. I'm now calling my accounts that have my credit card on file and letting them know not to try and use that number as it is shut off and I will be getting a different card and resetting up my account in the next two weeks when my new card gets here.

The gent at the bank had no advice on how this happened or what I could do to keep it from happening again. Kinda at everyone's mercy. For the want of convenience this is what you have to put up with. I think I want the days of green money back...... Tedd
Old April 3rd, 2019, 10:43 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Just happened to my son. Same kind of thing.

The only thing I can tell you is I have 2 cards. One is everyday use, the other I use only online. Makes it easier to keep things straight.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 11:12 AM

Tedd, that's good that your bank gave you a call. I experienced the same thing not too long ago. I got a call from my bank and they asked me if I bought White Castle hamburgers in Chicago, IL. Not only was I not on a trip to Chicago, but I think White Castle is DISGUSTING!

In my case, I think my card number was swiped a few days before when I put diesel in my truck at a hi volume gas station that I don't usually shop at. Usually, I get gas and diesel at the Sam's Club in town. I think the only protection consumers have is to try to make purchases from reliable businesses and be on the lookout for skimmers. I hope you get reimbursed promptly.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 12:59 PM
Beer Connoisseur

That happened to me couple of times. It's weird cause my bank declined a charge from when I took my parents out to dinner, and embarrass the crap out of me, because it was out of town (an hour away). However scumbag in Thailand was able to charge $2,300 worth of shoes and purses on Chinese website, and that did not raise a flag. SMH.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the gas Tedd… Kidding. Was that $1.00 or $1,000? First off the bank needs to cover the purchase, secondly they need to issue you a new card and cancel your current one. There are ways to notify you via email on purchases over a certain amount and type.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 02:15 PM

The creep or creeps were hitting gas stations and with a fill up they would get a $ 100. dollar advance (cash back) on the card..... Tedd
Old April 3rd, 2019, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Are they cancelling that card and issuing another? My wifes card got hacked as she was buying sex toys somewhere in Europe.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 04:43 PM
Gary

Tedd, there is a lot more credit card fraud happening in the last 10 years. I buy a lot on the internet and that is the source of the actual fraud on my account. This happens roughly once every other year, usually from a foreign purchase, sometimes by an intercepted number as you found. I have to wait for a new card in that case.

More frequently, my card number is one in a batch lost by a merchant. My bank changes my card number for that also--that happens at least once a year. In that case I get a new number but my old card still works until my new card arrives.

My bank has now become extremely proactive about suspected fraud. They stop my card about four times a year due to suspect purchases. Most of this is just my buying something unusual. If I get a refused charge I know to go to the bank website and verify that the charge is mine. Some banks will allow this to be confirmed by text message. Then my card is immediately released and I can make the purchase. As an alternate, I can call before the purchase and clear it with them so the charge goes through smoothly.

As Ishlsh2 suggested, you need to carry 2 cards, one of which is just a backup so it's not subject to frequent problems. It's the current reality.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Are they cancelling that card and issuing another? My wifes card got hacked as she was buying sex toys somewhere in Europe.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA Have you been spending a lot of time in the garage ? They say........ "plastic makes a woman happy". I thought they meant credit cards, I guess that isn't the only thing.
.....Just my two cents worth.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 10:22 PM

A good friend of mine had this happen a couple weeks ago. The hackers ran up about $900 in Southern California and he lives here in Medford Oregon. I do a lot of stuff online and purchased a lifelock subscription. A few years ago I was opening a bank account and getting a credit card with it. In the middle of filling out the paperwork I get a phone call from lifelock asking if its me requesting a credit card. I see it as insurance that will save me some headaches if any credit cards or bank accounts are hacked. John
Old April 4th, 2019, 06:01 AM

Happened to me a year ago. I was driving from Atlanta to Tampa and stopped at a convenience store to fill up. Apparently someone had a reader on the pump. I wasn't 50 miles down the road when I got a call from my bank asking why I filled up twice at the same place and did I buy a bunch or products inside? They cancelled the card right away and it never cost me a cent.
Old April 4th, 2019, 06:23 AM

Cash is king.
Old April 7th, 2019, 07:23 PM
MOTORHEAD

8675309 TEDD
is no go

i had a small
via pay pay pal

cash