The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Goodbye Professor

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2014, 01:05 PM

Goodbye Professor

No, not me.

The actor who played the Professor in "Gilligan's Island" has died ... TMZ has learned.

Russell Johnson, who played Professor Roy Hinkley, died of natural causes at his home in Washington.

Dawn Wells, who played Mary Ann, just posted on Facebook, "My 2 favorite people are now gone. The professor past (sic) away this morning. My heart is broken."

The other person who died is Bob Denver, who played Gilligan. He died in 2005.

Johnson was on the show from 1964 to 1967. Johnson was not in the original opening of the show. He and Mary Ann were referred to as "The rest." But Denver insisted that they be included and that happened later.

Wells went on: "Russell was a true gentleman, a good father, a great friend, and 'the rest.'"

Johnson was married -- this was his third wife. He passed away in hospice, surrounded by his wife and 2 kids.

Johnson was 89.

The only surviving members of the original cast are Mary Ann and Ginger, played by Tina Louise.

He was a hero to me.
Old January 16th, 2014, 01:31 PM

Professor Roy Hinkley? I never knew his character had a name.
Old January 16th, 2014, 01:44 PM

They all had full character backgrounds so they could act the part. No computer generated special effects to distract audiences back then ... entertaining was up to the actors.
Old January 16th, 2014, 01:53 PM
Hookers under Hood

Great cast great show, I was young during the running's but watched many episodes. They certainly didn't make money at it either.
Still play the oldies on deja view up here. Nothing good on the tube anymore just Nascar and UFC. and deja view of course. RIP professor !!!
Old January 16th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Lansing built

I just caught the news on MSN.com! I watch it on ME tv on cable on the weeknights. I grew up watching the re-runs! Always loved the show, even my step-daughter (11) sits right next to me and watches it with me

I liked all the cast, but as most gents would, always had a buring desire for Mary Ann (Dawn Wells) stranded my _ss

RIP Mr. Johnson!

Pat
Old January 16th, 2014, 02:28 PM
MOTORHEAD

pilot

RIP prof.
Old January 16th, 2014, 02:30 PM

RIP Professor. Say hello to Maynard Krebbs for me. Great old shows.
Old January 16th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Hookers under Hood

[QUOTE=1970cs;641924] always had a buring desire for Mary Ann (Dawn Wells) stranded my _ss

LoL...... I had that burning going on with Wonder-Woman and her rope!!! I would have got a good slap maybe a swift kick in the ball$ if she roped me in to tell her the truth bout what I wanted to do with her.
Old January 16th, 2014, 03:02 PM

Dawn Wells (Mary Ann) will sign old publicity photos with a personal message for a nominal fee. A friend ordered one online for a birthday gift and it was really cool.
Old January 16th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Another 1 gone.

On a side note, so did Dave Madden.

The actor who played long-suffering band manager Ruben Kinkaid on the 1970s sitcom the Partridge Family, reportedly died Thursday after a long illness.

Old January 16th, 2014, 04:18 PM

The only two surviving cast members are now Ginger (Tina Louise, age 79, who spent all of her post-Gilligan career trying to run away from the role), and Mary Ann (now 75, who has always embraced her role on Gilligan).

Old January 16th, 2014, 05:13 PM

RIP Professor.
That guy could build or fix anything on the island.
er..... except the hole in the Minnow
Old January 16th, 2014, 05:18 PM

God speed professor. You inspired me to teach.
Old January 16th, 2014, 05:28 PM

Thumbs up Names

Originally Posted by Professur
They all had full character backgrounds so they could act the part. No computer generated special effects to distract audiences back then ... entertaining was up to the actors.
Mary-Ann Summers...(honestly I had to look up her last name, I am too old)
Ginger Grant
Thurston Howell III
Lovey Howell
Prof. Roy Hinckley
Skipper Jonas Grumby
Gilligan
Old January 16th, 2014, 05:34 PM

Wow, happened to be laying on the couch now with TV on and laptop on my chest. Gilligan's Island is on and I read about the professor. What a coincidence... I know I am getting old now cause I am thinking of doin Mrs Howell!
Old January 16th, 2014, 05:38 PM

Now THATS funny.
Old January 16th, 2014, 05:48 PM

RIP professor! I would have never known your name. also never knew the Skipper was Jonas Grumby. Great trivia questions.
Old January 16th, 2014, 05:56 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Wow, now I know I am getting old now cause I am thinking of doin Mrs Howell!

Lmao your a maniacolds !!! I'm howellin
Old January 16th, 2014, 06:08 PM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

The professor was my favourite - next to Mary Ann of course...I'd like to have been stranded anywhere with her.
Makes me want to go watch again..
Old January 16th, 2014, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Wow, happened to be laying on the couch now with TV on and laptop on my chest. Gilligan's Island is on and I read about the professor. What a coincidence... I know I am getting old now cause I am thinking of doin Mrs Howell!
You're killin me!! I was watching the show the other day and I too was thinking about Mrs. Howell!! Boy that picture of Mary Ann is hot...
Old January 16th, 2014, 06:54 PM

Yes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
images.jpg (9.9 KB, 24 views)
Old January 16th, 2014, 07:50 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yeah, it's kind of scary watching one of these shows for the first time in a number of years and realizing that the "old lady" characters weren't actually that old, and weren't bad looking. Saw Colonel Bellows's wife a few months ago - VaVaVaVoom!

I bet my 90 year old first grade teacher was probably younger than I am now, too.

- Eric
Old January 16th, 2014, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Paladin31
Mary-Ann Summers...(honestly I had to look up her last name, I am too old)
Ginger Grant
Thurston Howell III
Lovey Howell
Prof. Roy Hinckley
Skipper Jonas Grumby
Gilligan
***** Gilligan

At least that's what it says here, but I had heard this earlier from other sources.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilliga...%27s_Island%29

As also mentioned in the above entry, Bob Denver himself said that he thought the character's name might actually have been "Gil Egan," and "Gilligan" is what you get when you say those quickly.

But I like ***** Gilligan better as that was the name the creators apparently originally had in mind, even though it was never used on the air. It's Gilligan "canon."
Old January 16th, 2014, 08:31 PM

Kinda cool how thinking of these shows...and associated fond memories come back so vividly, I recall watching Gilligans island when I would come home from school with my {at that time| new puppy. Good vibrations
Old January 17th, 2014, 07:53 AM
Lansing built

Originally Posted by Paladin31
Kinda cool how thinking of these shows...and associated fond memories come back so vividly, I recall watching Gilligans island when I would come home from school with my {at that time| new puppy. Good vibrations
So true Brett, but it kinda comes full circle with the cars that we enjoy so much! It brings back the good old days as a young boy or young man riding around with parents or grand parents in some cases.

Pat
Old January 17th, 2014, 07:55 AM

Correct you are Pat!
Old January 17th, 2014, 06:00 PM

Let us not forget that Mr. Johnson did other things as well. One of my ALL TIME favorites is It Came From Outer Space, 1953.
Old January 18th, 2014, 05:25 AM

Keep in mind that none of us are getting any younger, and the older we get, the more friends, acquaintances, and people we knew on television are all passing away at a faster rate. One day each of us will be one of those people, so be kind to your fellow man, so you to will be fondly remembered.
Old January 18th, 2014, 06:17 AM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by Junkman
Keep in mind that none of us are getting any younger, and the older we get, the more friends, acquaintances, and people we knew on television are all passing away at a faster rate. One day each of us will be one of those people, so be kind to your fellow man, so you to will be fondly remembered.

X2 on that note. Be kind and find humor in our daily lifestyles, the world has become so serious in many ways. Live, love and laugh is the best way of life.
Put-r-ther
Old January 18th, 2014, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Junkman
Keep in mind that none of us are getting any younger
I am.
Old January 18th, 2014, 01:24 PM

Location: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
I could of sworn Lovey and Thurston were still alive ..in fact they lived below me in the Condominium that I just moved out of. In fact..They were the reason I moved. Did I mention Mrs Kravetz
Old January 18th, 2014, 06:51 PM

Not only a great actor but an American hero..he rec'd the purple heart and flew 24 missions in a B24. Amazed that he made it. Just google his name and you will find the info.
I think the thing I miss most about all these actors we are loosing is, they were average joes, no drama, no stupid stories and if you met them on the street they would stop and talk. I met Members of F troop at a diner in Califonia as a young kid and they were so nice. I met James Gardner while he was just hanging out on the beach and he was just the nicest guy you could ever meet. And you just would not believe how many of our childhood idols were war heroes...Mr Rodgers, Kaptain Kangaroo, the Professor, the skipper and many more. It's not that we are just getting old we are loosing another part of the greatest generation.
I had a garbage collector who never forgot to say hi to me or give me a football he found or a tire for my bike. When I got into HS I read a book called "Pacific War Diary".
A great account of life on a cruiser in WW2 and the many Sea battles. Well i found out my garbage man wrote the book! JAMES FAHEY. And ALL the money he made he gave to the Boys Club. He didn't take a dime and spent the rest of his life being a proud American collecting trash......Thats the type of person we are loosing today, thats why we seem so emotionaly touched by the loss of the professor and Mr Kinkaid, average joes like us...class, style, a heart and Character... They are becoming rare like the dodo
Old January 18th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Yeah and all that todays generation are stuck with are the Kardashians, Kenye, and the rest of todays goofy assed idols.
Old January 18th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

NavVet, you are so right. I won't start running on here (and, like all of us, I could), but I think you really hit it.

These folks didn't think of themselves as being special, or heroes, or anything of the sort.
As far as they were concerned, they did what they had to, just like everyone else they knew, and there was nothing unusual about that. These were the adults we grew up with, and were raised to look up to, and hoped to be able to measure up to.

Neither of my grandfathers was in the military - one was in the merchant marine, though I don't know anything about where he sailed. The other was 4F (hernia), and spent the days of the war in the shipyard, sloshing ankle-deep in carbon-tet in the engine rooms of ships he was refitting, and the nights in the local bars, settling "discussions" about why he wasn't in uniform.
My father in law was a SSGT running a mobile tank repair unit. He used to drive up to the front, pick up damaged tanks, fix them, and bring them back to the front. My wife's mom was a nurse in the army (1LT), and her sister was also a nurse (CPT), who went into Hiroshima after we dropped the bomb, to care for the children burned in the bombing. She has never talked about it, to my knowledge.

These actors were the same - just regular people doing their part, like everybody else.

Others we could include, off the top of my head, are James Doohan (LtCdr Montgomery Scott on Star Trek), who lost a finger in the D-Day invasion, and hid it from the cameras throughout his acting career, and Ed McMahon, who was a Marine flight instructor during the War, flew 85 combat missions as an artillery spotter in the Korean War, earned six Air Medals, and retired from the reserves as a colonel in 1966.

I feel like I'm getting old.

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Yeah and all that todays generation are stuck with are the Kardashians, Kenye, and the rest of todays goofy assed idols.
Except the ones who are back from Iraq and Afghanistan, and who may be looking for work, or having some trouble waking up in the middle of the night too much, or getting nervous when they see a garbage bag on the side of the highway...

- Eric

Last edited by MDchanic; January 18th, 2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old January 19th, 2014, 06:53 AM

One important point. I do look up to our men and woman who have served in the Gulf wars. They are coming home...no complaints, and trying hard to just be regular Joes.
Old January 19th, 2014, 06:57 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Never doubted that you or Eric did.

I just wanted to be sure to mention them.
The guys who were downrange feel as weird coming back to "the world" as they guys from Vietnam did.

- Eric