The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Found this funny...

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2017, 04:05 AM

Found this funny...

I quit buying the junk "safety" gas jugs because you end up spilling it everywhere. You can still order good metal cans from NAPA or somewhere like that but I get old ones from flea markets
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
gascan.jpg (26.6 KB, 91 views)
Old February 2nd, 2017, 05:38 AM

That is hysterical!

I absolutely hate those things! I totally fail to see how spilling gas everywhere when you use them is supposed to make anything "safer!" Especially when I am using them filling the boat...over the water! I would love to discuss with the engineering genius that came up with these! I would be livid if they spilled over my cars' paint!
Old February 2nd, 2017, 06:15 AM

hey thats one of the good ones.the ones i hate are the ones with the lever you push down,but first you have to flip this little lock button before it pushes down.and i'm right handed so i have to reach over the top with my left to flip the button and push down with my right finger.THHHEEENNN.to try to tip the jug and still hold down the button you need to be a contorsionist.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 06:22 AM

Just another stupid "Government Regulation" added to the list. Wonder who in politics,came up with the idea and how much he made off of it. Larry
Old February 2nd, 2017, 08:28 AM

That's good, I'm going to have to post it on my FB wall.

I wonder if there has been litigation because someone burst into flames while using one of the "safety" / "environmentally friendly" gas jugs.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
That's good, I'm going to have to post it on my FB wall.

I wonder if there has been litigation because someone burst into flames while using one of the "safety" / "environmentally friendly" gas jugs.
lol, That is where I got it. I thought people here would like it.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 01:42 PM
344879M363895

I have one of the Eagle safety cans I ordered from Amazon. Hoping it is the last can I ever need to buy -quite an investment. But I just got tired of replacing those plastic cans every 2 years when they broke. Plus they rip you off bad for those too...
Old February 2nd, 2017, 01:44 PM
same but different

Yea, these new fangled cans are a pain.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 05:43 PM

To answer the question you all seem to be asking, it wasn't a politician who came up with this nonsense, it was insurance companies. They set most of our regulations. They run the NFPA which over regulates everything to do with hazardous materials and electrical installations. This is a classic case of when to much protection makes the problem worse. The only way to not spill gas with these cans is to take the spout off and dump it without it. How much safer is that? At least it makes it less prone to spilling.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 06:09 PM

These could have been added to the "Things that don't work" thread... We have them at my workplace, and every time I have to use them, I say "these things don't work for sh$t!" I will cling to my old cans for as long as I can. After that I'll get creative and fabricate my own! #WORTHLESS!!!!
Old February 3rd, 2017, 02:11 AM

Most of what was done with these idiotic cans was in regards to vapor. Notice the got rid of the hole on the other side of the can so that air can get in while pouring? They had to redesign the filler neck so that air can get in while you pour, but not while it is being stored.
Isn't that just ever so special?
Old February 3rd, 2017, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by zeeke
To answer the question you all seem to be asking, it wasn't a politician who came up with this nonsense, it was insurance companies. They set most of our regulations. They run the NFPA which over regulates everything to do with hazardous materials and electrical installations. This is a classic case of when to much protection makes the problem worse. The only way to not spill gas with these cans is to take the spout off and dump it without it. How much safer is that? At least it makes it less prone to spilling.
This started in California of all things. It was picked up by the EPA and all went down hill from there. Insurance was not involved as far as I know.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 03:43 AM

Lol, made my day
What kind of an idea has that been???? Have fun with your gas cans
Old February 3rd, 2017, 04:26 AM

I buy the new cans, and I buy the conversion kits with a normal spout and a vent. Drill a hole for the vent pop cap, screw new nozzle on, and you are good.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
I buy the new cans, and I buy the conversion kits with a normal spout and a vent. Drill a hole for the vent pop cap, screw new nozzle on, and you are good.
I've heard there is a way to convert the new cans so they actually work. I've never done it though.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
A guy at work drills a hole and puts a tire valve stem in the back. Takes the core out and uses the valve stem cap to open and close the vent. You have to use a lone wire or something to feed the stem into the hole through the normal spout.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
This started in California of all things. It was picked up by the EPA and all went down hill from there. Insurance was not involved as far as I know.
That's what I was thinking. I used to travel out to CA frequently in the early 2000s, and that is where I first encountered those cans. The folks that lived out there told me that was the only kind of can you could buy in CA. Took a few years to make it to MN.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
A guy at work drills a hole and puts a tire valve stem in the back. Takes the core out and uses the valve stem cap to open and close the vent. You have to use a lone wire or something to feed the stem into the hole through the normal spout.
Inventive.