The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Fall out from the Paradise Camp Fire

Old June 1st, 2019, 03:04 PM

Fall out from the Paradise Camp Fire

It's been almost six months sense the Camp Fire in Paradise was in the news but yesterday I got a reminder of it by my insurance carrier (AAA) who is going to cancel my fire insurance policy in 60 days and no one else in California will look at writing a new policy so far. I'm not a Johnny come lately I've been with them fore 46 years in one way or another. The only way AAA will reinstate a policy is if I go with the Government supplement policy and that amounts to almost three grand just for fire insurance, no homeowners insurance included. I'm not sure what my options are or what I have available but at this point I'm looking at firms that are out of state. Do we have any insurance gurus out there that can advise or has experience in these matters..... Tedd
Old June 1st, 2019, 05:01 PM
L69 Track Pack

Man, that sucks. We had been with The Hartford for over 12 years, (thru the AARP) and felt their rates were pretty good. Got our Homeowners Insurance bill for this next year, and it went up almost 25% on a home less than a year old. I started searching online and found Esurance (an Allstate Company). Allstate is one of the more expensive companies, but we found that Esurance is one of the cheapest. Got an identical policy with them for less than half of what The Hartford wanted. We ahd bundled Home and Auto, so we checked the Auto rates from Esurance, and saved almost 25% on that too. Bye, Bye Hartford. You might check them out to see if they will cover you.
Old June 1st, 2019, 05:15 PM
same but different

Ted, I'm sorry to hear this. I can't help to think that its going to be like flood insurance some day. Only the govt. offers it.
Old June 1st, 2019, 07:00 PM

So sorry to hear that Tedd. Don may be right, if we see more fires that take out communities the insurance companies may not be able to cover us. Another impact that may be coming, I'm hearing that the power company was responsible for the fire starting. If they get a humongous law suit and lose the people buying power will likely be the ones paying for it. Before I retired part of my job was working with the local power company when they brushed underneath the big 500KV lines. They told me on a hot day the wires between towers could sag as much as 20 feet! I love where I live, but if the various taxes and fees continue to go up I may have to move. I hear Southern Idaho is nice and similar to Southern Oregon/Northern California.
Old June 2nd, 2019, 05:59 PM

Long story but Yes John I was looking forward to moving to Idaho but that option is off the table as of now. I still have responsibility towards my dad and the ranch. Plus the soon to be X wife is already lodged up there. Things do change.

I'll keep others informed on the insurance issue as I'm sure this problem will spread to other ares in California. Perhaps there is a less expensive option out from out of state that I'm ignorant of...... Tedd
Old June 2nd, 2019, 07:43 PM
Olds Fever

Sorry to hear of your insurance issue... Since you are a Veteran, have you considered checking with USAA Insurance...

https://www.usaa.com/inet/wc/ins_bun...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old June 3rd, 2019, 02:54 AM

That is definitely a bummer Tedd. I was going to suggest USAA as well. Especially since you're a veteran.
Old June 3rd, 2019, 07:27 AM

Sorry guys I 4F'ed in 1967 and missed all the fun in Nam, not a veteran. The Old man is a WW2 vet so there is a option there with USAA.... Tedd
Old June 3rd, 2019, 07:41 AM

Sounds like the Fire Insurance is similar to our post 1994 earthquake insurance which is provided by the state (Earthquake Authority). Insurance companies are in the business to make money, they don't want to cover something that might happen due to a disaster having to pay out a lot of claims all at once. I suspect if you live in an area prone to hurricanes, you would have to purchase separate/expensive hurricane insurance. Similar to flood insurance. Now it sounds like the insurance companies have deemed where you live a Fire hazard, I'm guessing they are doing the same in Malibu mountains area where my FIL lost his house the same day of the Paradise fire. Insurance companies lose their shirts due to catastrophic events, and if an area is known for a certain event they probably don't want to cover for that event.
Old June 3rd, 2019, 08:06 AM

They did the same here on the East Coast with the flood insurance. Had to sell my Mother-in-laws house because, even though it was paid off the insurance premium was insanely costly unless she paid about 120K to have the house raised. Insurance companies suck. As my mother always told me, "they are a necessary evil".

Best of all they didn't give me a dime when my summer shack was washed away in the storm. They told me no payouts on a secondary residence. Why did they keep 15 years of secondary payments then?

Sold it for a huge loss and bought a 71' Cutlass with what I had left.
Old June 3rd, 2019, 02:14 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson View Post
Sorry guys I 4F'ed in 1967 and missed all the fun in Nam, not a veteran. The Old man is a WW2 vet so there is a option there with USAA.... Tedd
You may not be an actual Vet, BUT it sure does appear you are a major supporter and since your Father is a WW2 Vet you definitely have the option to purchase USAA insurance if it will meet your needs for both coverage and financial perspectives...
Old June 3rd, 2019, 04:54 PM

USAA talks a real big game, but they are pretty mediocre, and no better than anyone else. I've carried them for years and still do, but I do not love them.

I got rear ended last year, and told them I would not take an aftermarket rear bumper. Agent got a little annoyed when I acted like I knew more than him about it, so I rather firmly, once he started talking down, informed him he was speaking with a Toyota engineer, speaking about Toyota vehicles and their safety systems, and yes, I did know more than he did on the subject. Still didn't get anywhere and got my estimate reduced by 30%. I don't care what it is, I don't put aftermarket **** on my cars when it's not a maintenance item.

Tedd, feel free to tell AAA that you'll publicly shame them. A letter to the media explaining how the company is taking advantage of the elderly (act old!) does wonders.
Old June 3rd, 2019, 07:41 PM

Several of my friends have had their insurance cancelled i'm waiting on mine to be.