The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Dream Car Garages

Old November 7th, 2009, 10:14 AM

Dream Car Garages

Cool forum! http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/
Old November 7th, 2009, 10:36 AM

Very interesting

Thanks
Old November 7th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Just an Olds Guy

You gotta be kidding me???

Originally Posted by 442much
Ken, Ken, Ken.....
Some of those garages are incredibly pretty. Not a spot of dust or oil on the floor. Some filled with ??airplanes??. Man it would be nice to have that kind of space. under construction garages that look like little factories? Holy shot of nitrous batman, those things will blow most of us away. I'm still trying to get over this tease of "garage envy".... It rivals some of the mancaves thread ones. As Deforest Kelley would have said: "Dammit Jim, I'm a Doctor! Not a miracle worker...you'll just have to put up with the garage you've got for now!!!"
Old November 9th, 2009, 10:14 AM

Just checked it out,looks like a pretty cool site.
Old November 17th, 2009, 08:20 AM

I used to think that having a three car garage was a great thing, but now after seeing some of the ones shown above, I wouldn't mind getting out of town into the desert (our countryside in this neck of the woods - sort of speak) where I could build my own 50'Wx100'Lx20'H garage that could house my cars and RV. Hmmm...if I did that, I may have to go back to work.....(not).
Old November 17th, 2009, 09:34 PM

How about a garage nightmare. I'll trade mine for yours
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0926.jpg (66.6 KB, 35 views)
DSCN0927.jpg (56.7 KB, 36 views)
DSCN0928.jpg (54.3 KB, 32 views)
DSCN0929.jpg (67.3 KB, 34 views)
Old November 18th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by citcapp
How about a garage nightmare. I'll trade mine for yours
That's a real garage Citcapp.
Reminds me of every place I hung out at as a youth.

Anybody can work in a perfect garage with all modern conveniences, doesn't mean they know what they're doing.
Those guys know enough to afford to pay for it so they must know something.

My dentist buddy got a divorce and of course his car lifestyle-hating wife got the house so he had a big metal warehouse built in an industrial park.
He has lifts and all the tools, really nice cars and bikes, in the one corner is a walled off bachelor pad living area, I hate him.
I worked at a brain surgeons house who had the nicest wood shop with every hand and power tool known to man and the guy built birdhouses.
The box with a gnawed through hole in one side and two board hunks for a roof type.
He always kept saying he wanted to trade jobs with me.

I liken your work conditions to Michelangelo lying flat on his back way up on a rickety scaffold painting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel by candlelight Citcapp.
Look how that turned out.

Is there a spot that you can set something on without something sitting on it in there Citcapp?
Old November 18th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Captain of my ship

The garage at my house looks like citcapp's. I don't think there is much space available to put something else in it. Right now my Olds is in it so there is not a lot of room even though it's a 2 car garage I can only put 1 car in it. My mother built a new house about 1 & 1/2 years ago and put an attached 3 car heated , finished garage with in floor heating That is where I had my Olds last winter to work on and where I plan on having it this winter but right now my 90 Astro van is in there and I have to fix her up cause I have decided to give it to my 17 year old son. have to get it out soon. i have a basement of every woodworking tool needed to create furniture and I have done lots up until about 2 years ago when I started working on old cars. Starting with the 23 model T and the 29 madel A finally to the 52 Chev. Now those cars are all gone and I have the Olds which has my attention now. I guess I have changed hobbies for a little while and don't know if I will have a chance to get back to woodworking , maybe if I need things like shelving for the garages
Old November 18th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Cutlass Lover

Citcapp.... I like your garage... I wouldn't be afraid to get a drop of oil on the floor in there!!!!
Old November 18th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Citcapp.... I like your garage... I wouldn't be afraid to get a drop of oil on the floor in there!!!!
You could get a gallon of oil on the floor in there and nobody would ever even notice.

I'm a carpenter by trade and if I can't build furniture with a hammer, drill, skilsaw and belt sander forget it.

Pssst...look Sandy, you-know-who is a few posts up.

Last edited by Bluevista; November 18th, 2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: No reason, I just like writing stuff here
Old November 18th, 2009, 12:02 PM

Citcapp

Who stole your new engine?
Old November 18th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Cutlass Lover

Originally Posted by Bluevista
You could get a gallon of oil on the floor in there and nobody would ever even notice.

I'm a carpenter by trade and if I can't build furniture with a hammer, drill, skilsaw and belt sander forget it.

Pssst...look Sandy, you-know-who is a few posts up.

ROTFLMAO!!! .... you crack me up!!
Old November 18th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Trying to remember member

For many years I worked my way up from no garage, to a one car, then a 2 car, then to a 4-car, to finally to my present 6-car detached carbarn with a 2-car attached garage. I'm finally have *my* dream garage.
Even with the 4 car garage, I muttered to myself during the winters, as I scraped windows on the daily drivers, realizing that if I weren't such a pig and only had 2 Oldsmobiles, I could still get both daily drivers in the garage.
But I finally reached the saturation point (thankfully) and want no more than I have of both cars and garages. Semi-sanity finally took over. I don't want any more building to heat, among other things, for example. Only so much time, $$, energy, etc.
Attached Images
08.06.06 013.jpg (115.3 KB, 36 views)
Old November 18th, 2009, 02:19 PM

"W"

Ya need to stack up some SS I, SS II etc on that wide veranda. You're wast'in a bunch of space.
Old November 18th, 2009, 04:18 PM

Wink

I have a dream garage.
Oh wait!
I need to move those bikes out of the way for the wrecker to drop the olds into the garage.
Oh No! The trike is in the way. Let me move it before the cutlass breaks it.
Let me move those golf clubs that I use once a year. There're in the way!
Do I really need to take the kids to soccer practice? I was going to work on the car today.
Yes. I have a dream car garage. I dream about it every time I walk through it.
no worries. My life is good. My cup runneth over.
Attached Images
olds9.JPG (38.4 KB, 28 views)
Old November 18th, 2009, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Citcapp

Who stole your new engine?
All the parts are there some assembly required, need more hours in the day.
Old November 27th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Registered car nut

TGJ is a pretty good site. I am there a bunch trying to learn about what else? Garages ! My shop is my 3rd and not the way I'd do it next time.
(Oh I really hope there is NO next time)
Great ideas on space managment and some eye candy of course.
I like the low buck, homemade, creative stuff.
The Glass floor, oak trim exotic stuff gets boring quickly. Good to have variety though. (nonhog there too)
Old November 27th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Registered car nut

This mess is about a year ago ? Its still messy just differant mess.
Attached Images
dirty shop.jpg (49.5 KB, 30 views)
Old November 27th, 2009, 05:11 PM

Here's my shack.

24.jpg

DSC_4846.jpg

DSC_3732.jpg
Old November 29th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Senior Moment Member

I have stored two cars this the winter to free up space for another DD. My kids are driving now and I need the space so they don't have to scrape/brush the snow off. I hate winter. As soon as I'm done in Chicago (trading floors, hence job are located here) I'm gone.

Last edited by z11375ss; November 29th, 2009 at 06:16 AM.
Old December 8th, 2009, 01:08 PM

I built a garage addition at my home about 3 years ago. The Garage Journal was invaluable to me in getting the job done. Here are some photos of the construction of the garage:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=5865

I either did the work or had it subbed. Much work but a lot of fun. I built a paint booth in the last bay and am having a good time in retirement doing some paint/body on some old muscle cars.
Old December 8th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Just an Olds Guy

.......................Pssst...look Sandy, you-know-who is a few posts up.
At the risk of sounding somewhat owlish>>>>>Who? who? who? Why you pickin on ol Pat or Dan??? Who is he who must not be named????
Soitenly not Hairy friggen Potter??

Old December 8th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Cutlass Lover

Allan R.....What took ya so long to see that???? I can't tell! I'm sworn to secrecy on the grounds Redgoat may assimulate me...... or something worster!! He'll have to do the 'splainin! I like these moving icon thingys you started using!
Old December 8th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Registered

Allan R.....What took ya so long to see that???? I can't tell! I'm sworn to secrecy on the grounds Redgoat may assimulate me...... or something worster!! He'll have to do the 'splainin! I like these moving icon thingys you started using!

Oh...That's a relief, but who am I to judge.

I though you meant Allan R. was getting "curious" about something else when you told me to check out this thread Sandy.

Our "Secret" friend hasn't been around?

Maybe he caught wind of the twin jubilee celebration and started walking??
I still don't think he even has a car, maybe not even a license???

I looked and his longest post was 30 words and I think he copied and pasted those, 6-7 word average on the rest of the posts.
He gets right to the point, maybe he could teach me a few lessons?

If we didn't like you we wouldn't talk about you mystery person... plus any attention is better than being ignored and I bet you agree, I can see it in your eyes.

"I'm a'walkin'' to a'Twinsburg...."
Old December 8th, 2009, 05:59 PM
GM Enthusiast

Nice garage 442much. I especially like the couch so you can stare at your nice car after you get done polishing it! Who needs a tv when you got that to look at. Hopefully your wife doesn't mind you spending your time out there with the other woman.
Old December 8th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Cutlass Lover

Oh...That's a relief, but who am I to judge.

I though you meant Allan R. was getting "curious" about something else when you told me to check out this thread Sandy.

Our "Secret" friend hasn't been around?

Maybe he caught wind of the twin jubilee celebration and started walking??
I still don't think he even has a car, maybe not even a license???

I looked and his longest post was 30 words and I think he copied and pasted those, 6-7 word average on the rest of the posts.
He gets right to the point, maybe he could teach me a few lessons?

If we didn't like you we wouldn't talk about you mystery person... plus any attention is better than being ignored and I bet you agree, I can see it in your eyes.

"I'm a'walkin'' to a'Twinsburg...."

30 words??? You sure about that? Wow! I musta missed that one! LOL!! I have noticed he's not been around... It's just not the same...

I am still wondering about the car - or lack of one The big jubilee isn't until August, so he might just make it!

"I'm walkin... yes indeed"....
Old December 8th, 2009, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Nice garage 442much. I especially like the couch so you can stare at your nice car after you get done polishing it! Who needs a tv when you got that to look at. Hopefully your wife doesn't mind you spending your time out there with the other woman.
Thanks Darrell. I redid the garage FOR the wife. Now she only see's me in Winter.
Old December 8th, 2009, 07:10 PM
GM Enthusiast

Here's a couple of pics of my garage. I just got done epoxy painting the floor and spackeling and painting the ceiling and walls.

IMG_0894.jpg?t=1260328100

IMG_0891.jpg?t=1260328140

Now it's too clean to work in.
Old December 8th, 2009, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Now it's too clean to work in.
I hear that! Nice garage....and toys!
Old December 8th, 2009, 07:45 PM
GM Enthusiast

Thanks Ken. The other car is actually my grandmother's 84 Eldo Touring Coupe. Just doing some work on it but it is all org 68k miles with no rust issues. The org paint is checking all on top so it will need a repaint.
Old December 8th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Allan R.....What took ya so long to see that???? I can't tell! I'm sworn to secrecy on the grounds Redgoat may assimulate me...... or something worster!! He'll have to do the 'splainin!
juke u saud befirem - oh crap my hands were on the wrong keys, SB: like I said before, I'm gettin old and the young person trapped inside me doesn't see so good either. We're both trapped by bifocals.
I like these moving icon thingys you started using!
Ya do? Wal blow me down, so do I... you are a winner!!! And here's one for Redgoat, because under that crusty exterior is ....actually, I don't really know, but here's to you Redgoat!!!
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Captain of my ship

Originally Posted by redvettemike
I built a garage addition at my home about 3 years ago. The Garage Journal was invaluable to me in getting the job done. Here are some photos of the construction of the garage:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=5865

I either did the work or had it subbed. Much work but a lot of fun. I built a paint booth in the last bay and am having a good time in retirement doing some paint/body on some old muscle cars.
Would love to see pics but can't cause not a member so could it be possible that you post a couple on this forum?
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Captain of my ship

Too funny , where did you get the pics of redgoat? he should be the one using it to sign with so we know which one of them is on the computer.
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Cutlass Lover

And here's one for Redgoat, because under that crusty exterior is ....actually, I don't really know, but here's to you Redgoat!!!

I don't know either, but it's something alright!!! That's funny right there!!
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Cutlass Lover

.....Too funny , where did you get the pics of redgoat? he should be the one using it to sign with so we know which one of them is on the computer.

Haven't heard from ya much Wolfman.... what ya been doin??? Aye??
Old December 9th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Captain of my ship

Trying to fix up my 90 Astro van to give to my 17 year old kid so he can destroy it too It' going to be my graduation , xmas and birthday gift. I will make it clear that if he wrecks this one it will be the last one from me, I think we need to have a little talk about how to take care of an older vehicle. I have 1,300 into it so far and a new safety inspection sticker on it. Finishing up some bodywork and then it's up to him to make sure it last's him. I think he will want to keep this one longer though cause it comes with a 2600 watt stereo system and if he wrecks it then I will take it back and junk it.
Old December 9th, 2009, 06:14 AM

Good luck Wolfman,

Raised three boys, only one got the car gene. To many cars to remember bit the dust with those three. No the oldest is going through it with his girl friends son. We my son complains I just smile at him, pisses him off a little.
Old December 9th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Cutlass Lover

My mama used to say paybacks are hell!!!
Old December 9th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Captain of my ship

The first car his mom bought him and the second was bought by his grandmom both were hyundai wagons and could not stand up to the beating he gave them. I am probably a hard father to please but have always been a man of my word. He knows this implicitly , I always say never make threats only promises. That's what I have always done with him and he is at least very respectfull of his elders and has worked part time while going to school. He also does pretty well in school but in his free time he hangs out with some guys who goad him into doing stupid things. i don't know if I will be able to teach him how to deal with pier pressure but When I tell him that if he wrecks this one he will get no more from me then he knows it's a fact. Tough love , I don't think so . i think of it as teaching resposibilty.