The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Cruisin News

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2020, 04:05 PM

Cruisin News

Received my Cruisin News the other day( local Nor cal listing for car shows and parts/cars for sale). Man was it disappointing, In the first few pages of upcoming shows there were about three shows listed as happening events the rest, maybe 30 shows were all cancellations. The only thing going were the Cars and Coffee come with what you have show and shine types. Fun but some times it get rowdy and a little out of control when the testrone gets the best of the younger ones and engine reving becomes drag racing down the isles spectators and all. I assume this is the standard for the rest of the states also. This is going tobe a boring year for a car guy.

Things to consider on a road trip in these times. Last week I took my other car and did a 200 mile one day little road trip in the mountains. Sister-n- law went for the ride just to get out of the house for a little change of scenery. Top down shorts and sunblock just like old times. But there wasn't a rest room of any kind open for a 150 miles.I was afraid there was going to be a accident not of the tin bending kind. Not a issue for me as every tree becomes a restroom but poor Ruby isn't much for bearing her butt in the public bushes. Next time I'll take a friend of the male persuasion. Keep this in mind as you venture out in these troubled times with family members, things could go wrong...... Tedd
Old June 18th, 2020, 08:24 PM

On the other side of this coin, my wife and I just returned yesterday from a week-long, 3500 mile round trip by car between our home in southern New Mexico and our son's house in Portland, Oregon. We drove through portions of New Mexico (of course), Colorado, Utah, Idaho, and Oregon, and then on the way back through Nevada and Utah again. We didn't run into any restroom problems at rest areas or gas stations in any state. All were open. Utah was probably the farthest along in terms of restaurants open for inside dining, but we kind of expected that. We brought along a cooler and stopped at grocery stores for things to eat for lunch at the roadside rest areas. In other situations we got take-out from a local restaurant and ate it in our hotel room. But even in Oregon we found open restaurants with inside dining if you got away from the Portland area.

As far as hotels, we spent seven nights in hotel rooms, and things were about as normal as you could imagine in every state where we spent a night. All hotels with complimentary breakfasts were open with full breakfasts and little to no concern about the virus. The only bow to the virus we saw by any hotel was that they would not clean your room every day. But we never stayed in any one hotel for more than two nights, so this wasn't an issue. The hotel would, of course, give you fresh towels, soap, etc. if you asked for it. The restriction was that the staff wouldn't come into the room to straighten things out, make the bed, etc. This was a non-issue for us as my wife is a compulsive bed-maker. That's why I married her. Of the hotels with swimming pools, some had the pool open, some didn't. I would say that, on average, in looking at the number of cars in the parking lot each morning, hotels were getting about 40 to 50% occupancy. All hotels were glad to see travelers and welcomed us with big smiles.

I was keeping a mental note of the license plates I saw, and we saw plates from all over the country, including New York, New Jersey, Florida (several), Minnesota, Nebraska, as well as all of the western states including California. People are traveling.

Last edited by jaunty75; June 18th, 2020 at 08:30 PM.
Old June 18th, 2020, 08:41 PM

Just to extend this train of thought a little further, based on what I saw on our trip, I can't see any reason why something like the OCA Nationals could not have gone forward as planned. Hotels are open. What's the difference between staying in a hotel because you're attending a car show versus staying in a hotel for any other reason? None.

As far as your car, you park it in the parking lot, which you do anyway when you stay at a hotel. There were no restrictions in any hotel parking lot where we stayed like blocking off every other space to maintain social distancing or anything. Heck, the cars at the meet are spaced farther apart than when normally parked in a parking lot to avoid car doors hitting adjacent cars. Social distancing is a side-effect of car show.

The only issue would have been the closing banquet, and they might not have been able to hold that in the normal way. But they probably could have come up with something acceptable, and whatever they came up with, as much as it might have been an inconvenience, it would have been a small price to pay to otherwise have the OCA Nationals go forward as planned.

They probably wouldn't have been able to offer every tour or other social event planned, either, but, again, that's a minor price to pay, in my opinion, if it means you can have a car show, which is the main point of the event. But even this might not have been that much of an issue because, on our trip, we did come across attractions, museums, etc. that were open. You just have to look for them.

Last edited by jaunty75; June 18th, 2020 at 08:44 PM.
Old June 19th, 2020, 09:13 AM

Tedd, sounds like Ruby needs the Magic Funnel.
Old June 19th, 2020, 06:52 PM

Ruby needs to stay at home with the animals, she is a smoker also.I don't allow butts smoking or not around my cars.... Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; June 19th, 2020 at 06:59 PM.
Old June 21st, 2020, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Just to extend this train of thought a little further, based on what I saw on our trip, I can't see any reason why something like the OCA Nationals could not have gone forward as planned. Hotels are open. What's the difference between staying in a hotel because you're attending a car show versus staying in a hotel for any other reason? None.

As far as your car, you park it in the parking lot, which you do anyway when you stay at a hotel. There were no restrictions in any hotel parking lot where we stayed like blocking off every other space to maintain social distancing or anything. Heck, the cars at the meet are spaced farther apart than when normally parked in a parking lot to avoid car doors hitting adjacent cars. Social distancing is a side-effect of car show.
The only issue would have been the closing banquet, and they might not have been able to hold that in the normal way. But they probably could have come up with something acceptable, and whatever they came up with, as much as it might have been an inconvenience, it would have been a small price to pay to otherwise have the OCA Nationals go forward as planned.
They probably wouldn't have been able to offer every tour or other social event planned, either, but, again, that's a minor price to pay, in my opinion, if it means you can have a car show, which is the main point of the event. But even this might not have been that much of an issue because, on our trip, we did come across attractions, museums, etc. that were open. You just have to look for them.
I agree. The covid scam is really putting a hurt on local economies that depend upon festivals and meets. My wife and I want to attend a wine festival in October and just hope that it's still going to make.
Old June 21st, 2020, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
On the other side of this coin, my wife and I just returned yesterday from a week-long, 3500 mile round trip by car between our home in southern New Mexico and our son's house in Portland, Oregon. We drove through portions of New Mexico (of course), Colorado, Utah, Idaho, and Oregon, and then on the way back through Nevada and Utah again. We didn't run into any restroom problems at rest areas or gas stations in any state. All were open. Utah was probably the farthest along in terms of restaurants open for inside dining, but we kind of expected that. We brought along a cooler and stopped at grocery stores for things to eat for lunch at the roadside rest areas. In other situations we got take-out from a local restaurant and ate it in our hotel room. But even in Oregon we found open restaurants with inside dining if you got away from the Portland area.

As far as hotels, we spent seven nights in hotel rooms, and things were about as normal as you could imagine in every state where we spent a night. All hotels with complimentary breakfasts were open with full breakfasts and little to no concern about the virus. The only bow to the virus we saw by any hotel was that they would not clean your room every day. But we never stayed in any one hotel for more than two nights, so this wasn't an issue. The hotel would, of course, give you fresh towels, soap, etc. if you asked for it. The restriction was that the staff wouldn't come into the room to straighten things out, make the bed, etc. This was a non-issue for us as my wife is a compulsive bed-maker. That's why I married her. Of the hotels with swimming pools, some had the pool open, some didn't. I would say that, on average, in looking at the number of cars in the parking lot each morning, hotels were getting about 40 to 50% occupancy. All hotels were glad to see travelers and welcomed us with big smiles.

I was keeping a mental note of the license plates I saw, and we saw plates from all over the country, including New York, New Jersey, Florida (several), Minnesota, Nebraska, as well as all of the western states including California. People are traveling.
Good to hear of businesses doing business as usual.
Portland? I've got a son living in Portland! Small world.
I married my wife because of her being a good cook. Making beds is easy. Making 7 course meals, not so much. lol