The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Comment on 65/66/67 Tail pipes by Walt V

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Ben

Comment on 65/66/67 Tail pipes by Walt V

Just worked on my buddies 66 442 for a bit at lunch, farting around with the tri-carb throttle linkage.
Recently he purchased & installed the full repop exhaust system (tails & head pipes) from Walt V. These are the reproduction chambered tailpipes that came on 65/66&67 442s.

After a bit, i insisted that I take it out to "test" the changes... i had not driven or ridden in it since the exhaust work was done.

HOLY CRAP IT SOUNDS AWESOME!!!!

he got the 2 1/4" tails & headpipes, has factory manifolds, and got the 20" case magnaflows (since dynomax has discontinued unltraflows in the long case size)

Idle sound & cruise is pretty mellow & quiet (quieter than his old 2 1/2" burned out turbo mufflers), basically the same as ll the other magnaflow exhaust systems i've heard....

But at WOT, its has this awesome RAP RAP bark from the chambered tails that is unreal.

I think this sealed the deal, i'm gonna have to get a pair of those for my 66 now.

Oh yeah, and the fit & finish was great as well, muffler shop that installed them for him said they didn't' have to tweak anything, went on w/o any modifications other than welding it up.
Old August 28th, 2012, 02:50 PM

Who is Walt V? I'd like to see the chambered exhaust.
Old August 28th, 2012, 03:58 PM

Pipes by Walt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pipes.jpg (38.9 KB, 62 views)
Old August 28th, 2012, 04:11 PM

Here's his email...waltvallelunga@yahoo.com. I bought a set and they are worth very penny. Great finish and fit. I can't imagine you could find a better set.
Old November 29th, 2012, 05:38 AM

Chambered exhaust

In total agreement about Walt Valleluga's great chambered exhaust handiwork. He sent mine in a couple of days and they look as incredible as they sound. A very nice guy and super knowledgeable about 442's - thanks Walt!
Old November 29th, 2012, 06:09 AM
Trying to remember member

Walt's pipes are indeed 2nd to none.
And I'd like to point out that Walt is an Olds guy and has been supplying these chambered exhausts for at least 20 years now? Long before any of the other suppliers had them. He insisted on making them better than OEM and has not compromised his quality over the years.
I tip my hat to Walt for being someone you can count on as a solid Olds supplier over the years.

And Ben is spot on with his description of the sound!
Old November 29th, 2012, 11:10 AM
L69

Best chambered pipes out there for sound and looks (resto accuracy)
Old November 29th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Oldsdruid

I have to admit I've always wondered why Olds chose to put the 66-7 442 chambered sections at the END of the pipes. Seems putting them there in combination with a conventional-design muffler negates any performance gain, though they do sound awesome.

The 64 Starfire and Jetstar I and early 65 Starfires used a chambered system that put the chambered section in the exhaust pipes and then used straight-thru resonators in place of the front mufflers, followed with normal resonators at the rear of the car.

I finally duplicated that system for one of my Starfires and I was surprised at how quiet it is until you go WOT. Then they bark like a pissed-off puppy.

Olds was on to something with that tuned chambered exhaust. Shame they discontinued it so quickly. I imagine that, as with most things GM, the bean counters nixed it.

Ford had a chambered design for early Mustangs that sounds gorgeous too- "Arvinode" they call it. If I had a 65-68 V8 Mustang, it would have it. It also used resonators to tone down the rap

Then along comes Chevy sticking them on Camaro and Chevelle with NO resonators and the noise got chambered pipes outlawed in many states.

And I couldn't find a single vid of a chambered pipes equipped Starfire or 442 to compare these with! Looks like some of us need to make one...